• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Tovarisc

Has anyone had trouble editing their emblem on PC? I was going to edit the text on my emblem and the game got really unresponsive, like 2-3 second wait in between pushing down and the cursor moving one spot down. I quit out of the editor without saving changes and everything was fine after that.

Text part [D's as default] of the emblem editor is bugged somehow and makes editor kill performance. If you put text to nothing (leaves it empty) editor works well and smoothly. Kinda kill purpose of emblem editor tho if you want use words as part of your emblem.

Foxhoud only, nothing else, for the win tho!

jett

D-Member
Is there any way of customizing the controller? I use a DS3, would like to aim/shoot with L1/R1 without having swap them for every action with L2/R2. Meaning right now I'm shooting with L1/R1, but on the flipside that means I'm managing menus with R2 and L2.

I cant seem to hold 60 with a 980 t 1440p with everything maxxed, seems to be effects quality crippling performance when theres smoke on screen (like when a car turns up dust) dropping it to high though and its bascally at a locked 60 :D

Not sure whats so demanding about the smoke but in the car I was getting lows of 40fps

Akronis

I cant seem to hold 60 with a 980 t 1440p with everything maxxed, seems to be effects quality crippling performance when theres smoke on screen (like when a car turns up dust) dropping it to high though and its bascally at a locked 60 :D

Not sure whats so demanding about the smoke but in the car I was getting lows of 40fps

Because shadows are actually being cast on the smoke. Really unnecessary to have it on Extra High.

Did you tick the box for 64 bit OSD support? Did you install the 64 bit version? That would prevent it from working.

It works 100% on my end.
tpphtkyl.png

Shadow rendering distance increasing is what I want.

Alt tab in and out of game. THere should be no need to reset the resolution. The DSR smoothing filter breaks and alt tabbing makes it work again (this makes aliasing actually increase for some reason).

<3 thanks this worked.

For some reason the mgs5 .exe wasn't even in the list in RTSS :\ added it manually, set it to 64 bit and now it works.

That dsr filter thing is weird, it doesn't happen in any other game I've tried, only here.

KarasuEXE

Help!

For some reason video playback in the games video cutscene has periods of severe stuttering in both TPP and GZ. When not stuttering playback is fine for several seconds at 60fps, then the stutter knocks it down to may be 5fps for a second, and repeat

Any ideas? The game itself is fine

Same problem here. Maybe some kind of bug?

I'm really happy with the performance of this game.

I turned Shadows down and I'm getting consistently high FPS at 2160p on a single GTX 970.

I haven't encountered any slowdown even in the fiercest battles.

JimPanzer

Because shadows are actually being cast on the smoke. Really unnecessary to have it on Extra High.

doesn't effect quality also have some other things in it besides that?

Anyone get 60fps from a 970 at 1440p max everything and HBAO+?

not locked, if I fulton people or let snake jump to the ground my framerate goes down to 50. my second 970 can't come soon enough lol

<3 thanks this worked.

For some reason the mgs5 .exe wasn't even in the list in RTSS :\ added it manually, set it to 64 bit and now it works.

That dsr filter thing is weird, it doesn't happen in any other game I've tried, only here.
Na klar! :p
It has only ever happened tome with TPP and this game. TOtally weird, yeah

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I get a sound bug I think playing with my setup. Speakers are configured for 7.1 but I get zero audio from my center channel. Every tv ng else works fine. It seems like the game is just playing in stereo and my receiver is upmixing it through the channels. There is basically no activity from the rear and surround channels.

No one else getting this? On a 5.1 setup maybe?

Kuro

doesn't effect quality also have some other things in it besides that?

not locked, if I fulton people or let snake jump to the ground my framerate goes down to 50. my second 970 can't come soon enough lol

Have you tried turning off volumetric clouds

Ouroboros

Someone earlier was wondering about performance on a laptop. Playing just past the prologue in the first open world section, I'm getting a solid 1080p60fps with everything maxed on a Lenovo Y50.

Specs:
i7 4720HQ CPU
4GB GTX 860M
16GB RAM
Windows 10

Same specs and model as you. I am around 10 hours in and have not seen any slow down. Everything maxed. Running Nvidia drivers 355.82

teokrazia

So after some tests, I've finally started the game in order to play it.
Was replaying the Prologue and incurred in a damn boring bug: the left stick of my Xbox 360 wired gamepad suddenly stops to work. I can still look around with right one, use A, B, X and whatever or use M+K, but the left stick seems dead.

It happened to me three times.

I guess is something related to interface 'switch', maybe caused by using Steam overlay to chat or take screenshot.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this , trying to figure out if my rig will handle this game at an average level at least....

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (video)
8GB Ram
AMD FX(tm)-8320 8 core processor 2.6ghz

Any idea if this rig will handle the game at an okay level?

byropoint

Not sure if this is the right thread for this , trying to figure out if my rig will handle this game at an average level at least....

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (video)
8GB Ram
AMD FX(tm)-8320 8 core processor 2.6ghz

Any idea if this rig will handle the game at an okay level?

Should do, to which extent depends on which R9 2xx GPU you have.

Only performance drops I've experienced were in a mission where I was recovering some engineer from some base. Not sure why, other than it was day time and there was a lot of shimmery heat effects. Anyone else notice similar with that visual effect?

Edit: Was running everything at max @ 1620p, on a heavily overclocked Titan X.

EditEdit: Dropping to 1440p cleared things up.

teokrazia

Recreated the bug: Select to pause the game --> Steam overlay
Once I return in-game left stick doesn't work for moving [but I still can click it for spriting pose]
I can fix it quick alt-tabbing.
What a unprecedented BS.

So I am on a single 970 and I want to keep DSR and hbao+, game is usually 60, except for when there is smoke and light sources, what are the settings to turn a notch down without losing the eyecandy?

I heard Mouse/keyboard controls were bit wonky in some reviews? Is this true? Would you recommend just using a controller for PC?

Apart from not being able to use the mouse in menus and the iDroid I think the PC controls are pretty good. Definitely improved over Ground Zeroes, that's for sure.

I heard Mouse/keyboard controls were bit wonky in some reviews? Is this true? Would you recommend just using a controller for PC?

Way better than GZT, but not perfect. I think they are fine though! Especially since I can use my extra mouse buttons due to the mouse software.

JimPanzer

So I am on a single 970 and I want to keep DSR and hbao+, game is usually 60, except for when there is smoke and light sources, what are the settings to turn a notch down without losing the eyecandy?

setting effect from extra high to high seems to have the biggest impact w/o losing too much fidelity

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ewwwwww what the fuck is up with my sky dithering

1bdual.jpg

Yes, it should. 970 SLI performance is very similar to single Titan X and I'm able to run it locked 60fps at 1440p max +HBAO.
I'm on a 980Ti and I get the same performance at 1440p too. I'd say two 970's should easily hold this as well.

Though locked is a bit misleading. Still get drops during heavy dust filled areas(yes, I know why) which is annoying but it's pretty infrequent so it's not really and issue.

Funny story. I was looking at some shadow play videos I forgot I had taken. My wife at some point got some new flying mount in Wow and wanted me to take a look, I was like Oh, it's a whole new world for you now. Which then lead me to think about that Aladdin song, which then lead to me singing it. And I forgot that I had left Shadowplay with an open mic on. I actually embarrassed myself when I was looking at. Boss, running through the jungle. Slicing throats and using to his skills to pick apart the enemy. While singing , "I can open your eyes, take you wonder by wonder". Good times.

I saw the video of the guy with that hard ass rap song playing from the chopper. I've been using The Wicher 3 soundtrack and The Happy Whistle Theme from Deadly Premonition. Now I'm gonna think about adding some more songs all day. Ya'll have any suggestions?

Only performance drops I've experienced were in a mission where I was recovering some engineer from some base. Not sure why, other than it was day time and there was a lot of shimmery heat effects. Anyone else notice similar with that visual effect?

Edit: Was running everything at max @ 1620p, on a heavily overclocked Titan X.

EditEdit: Dropping to 1440p cleared things up.

I was running at 1620p too for the longest time but once I got to Africa the random drops became too frequent. 1440p seems to be the sweet spot for a single 980ti/TitanX at max settings.

Edit. Is the LOD change super aggressive in Africa for anyone else? I was riding around on D-Horse and the grass/bushes LOD was changing all over the place as I was cruising around. Very distracting.

Way better than GZT, but not perfect. I think they are fine though! Especially since I can use my extra mouse buttons due to the mouse software.

Yeah they're tolerable if you've got a good mouse with reprogramable buttons. I had to reprogram 7 buttons on my mouse in order to use them, but it makes the experience much more enjoyable as a result.

I'm still sort of annoyed I can't rebind Mouse2 in-game, but I've gotten over it.

DarkOneX

does this game run well at all on a laptop with something like a 750GT and at at least med-high settings? If not I'm gonna go grab it for XB1 in the next couple days.

Shy

Is anybody is that is using a PS4 controller having issues, where the controller will stop working, as well as press buttons you didn't press. ?

Tried bumping it up to 1440p and downsampling on a 970. Still seems to be running perfectly, but I'm just running around fairly empty parts of Afghanistan right now.

The FOX Engine is incredibly well optimized. You could play MGSV on a toaster

Azax

Just me who has very choppy shadow moving when the sun moves? Doesn't look smooth when the shadows moves 1 sec every time.

Xyber

Yes.
No dips at that res for my 970's

Not entirely true. I have experienced about 2 times when it dropped down to around 40FPS in gameplay. It didn't last long though, so it can just be something weird that happens in that moment.

It's very rare, but it can happen. But overall it's been almost a perfect locked 60 when downsampling from 1440p with max and HBAO+ for me on my 970 (overclocked to 1544MHz).

Edit: Noticed you said 970's, so I'm assuming you have 2 then. Well that shouldn't get any drops, yeah.

EdLin

Neo Member
I have a Haswell i5, HD 7950 boost GPU (same as r9 280), and 8GB of RAM. 1080p monitor.

What settings are best for this game on my system? Should I be running the beta drivers? I'm also on Windows 10 x64.

Top Bottom