• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

the one X just dropped to 299 a few days ago, timed appropriately with XsX news dropping and next gen approaching, it will stay 299

c'mon man
Them lowering it further now doesn't make sense, they'll get biters at $299, and they'll get even more if they drop it again down the line. They're leaving the Xbox One behind (hardware) and looking forward.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are $300 US.

Not a good sign for PS5 pricing, since the current systems have much more power for the same price for X.

This can hold true to SeX and PS5. Same price, but SeX more powerful.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Lower price point and better exclusives won last generation for Sony. The same continues. Only the hardcore contingent care about specs.
Enjoy the wank fest though guys.

will do with every pixel that comes through my eyes, sweetheart!

Last edited:

Justin9mm

What are you talking about? Xbox One had suspended games since 2013, PS4 got it much later. Next gen Xbox is increasing it to multiple games, not just one.
It's implemented so poorly it might as well be non existent. Sometimes it does not even work. It's not fluid like the PS4.. On PS4 you can literally pause, enter rest mode, when console turns back on it literally boots straight to the pause screen. For some reason my X does not always do that.. The Xbox OS is a slow heap of shit and does not work properly.

Discusguy

$599 is over the top and it’ll be like PS3 all over again. Nobody want to work two jobs to afford a game console. Console gamers expect a certain price point.

To be fair, a lot of people was thinking RDNA 2 vs GCN, in terms of 'twice as powerful as the OneX' could of meant like 9tf RDNA2. The real news here that it IS 12tf, and RDNA2.
"Alot" of people were most likely Sony players hoping it wasnt 12tflops RDNA.
Power is power (tflops). People changed Phil saying "power" to Phil saying "performance", which he never did.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
XSX sounds like a beast but there's a few negatives on my mind still

No exclusives for a year or 2
Will Lockhart be a thing

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I’m almost convinced about switching over to the Xbox eco system. Sony have been really silent and I think Ol Jim is running it into the ground.
I dont like how silent Sony have been either

But there's no way I'm missing out on Naughty Dog games, Spider-man, GoW, etc

I just hope the PS5 reveal is soon

Wildly impressive as they are, those specs indicate an $800 console at minimum. All Sony has to do is release a $499 console and the first half of the generation is won.
How much do you think and extra 18 - 20 Cu's add to the cost of an APU if Sony comes out with 36 - 40?
It might cost $10.

Sota4077

The dashboard and system OS menus are gonna really shine at 120fps

just plz target 60 for games, I beg you

4k/30 will be alright if settings are maxed and frame pacing is proper

Been an Xbox guy for a decade. Their updated UI is decent, but it is still a slow sluggish pain in the ass to deal with. I would praise Microsoft for a lot of what they have done this generation after the abysmal launch, but their UI is not one of them in my opinion.

FStubbs

The ball is in Sony's court. MS must have finalized their specs.

I assume Sony will have a similarly powered machine and then they can play chicken over the price.

Kagey K

Banned
Been an Xbox guy for a decade. Their updated UI is decent, but it is still a slow sluggish pain in the ass to deal with. I would praise Microsoft for a lot of what they have done this generation after the abysmal launch, but their UI is not one of them in my opinion.
You tried the updated one they launched today yet?

gatti-man

The ball is in Sony's court. MS must have finalized their specs.

I assume Sony will have a similarly powered machine and then they can play chicken over the price.
No way Sony has similar hardware. I’d imagine they are trying to tweak things up right now to atleast 10TF. Being 25% down on power at launch won’t be a good look.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Note first line in that press-release stating that is "our" not "the" most powerful console ever.

Seems to me if they had reason to believe that they had an advantage over PS5 they'd have used the definite article.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No way Sony has similar hardware. I’d imagine they are trying to tweak things up right now to atleast 10TF. Being 25% down on power at launch won’t be a good look.

I really don't think it matters, especially if the price is lower. Console market has always been about affordability over theoretical performance numbers.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
$599 is over the top and it’ll be like PS3 all over again. Nobody want to work two jobs to afford a game console. Console gamers expect a certain price point.

$599 in 2007 (PS3 release date in NA) is $746 in today's money.

$600 today is equal to $480 back then, so it would technically be cheaper than the PS3 by $120 dollars.

Though I still can't see them going for more than $499. Wonder if they'll actually be taking a hit on hardware costs like companies used to.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This is what Sony does or has done in the past. Just wait for the competitor to blow their load and then jump in. See "six axis" after the wii, see "PlayStation 4 disc-based games don’t need to be connected online to play" and "When a gamer buys a PS4 disc, they have the rights to use that copy of the game, they can trade in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend or keep it forever" after the Xbox one debacle.

This will be different and is most likely going to be a numbers dick waving contest. Faster SSD, more HDMI slots or just more TF.

Will be interesting none the less however I'd like MS up front for a while as while being the underdog this gen after a totally woeful launch, they've been going ham on the Xbox ecosystem and feature set where Sony has kinda done fuck all but provide more stability...

Begun the 2020 console wars have!

Last edited:

Sota4077

299-349. Or else no one's buying it.

Dude if you think the new consoles are going to be $349 you are absolutely fucking insane. The PS4 didn't even launch for that. It was $399. I hate to break it to you, but unless you are joking you are going to be real disappointed. $399 or even $499 is not a prohibitive cost for the console in any way. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are both selling just fine at that price. In the days of launch they're not selling to casual consumers. Day one buyers are hardcore consumers generally.

FStubbs

They're both using x86 AMD CPUs and Navi GPUs in the same year. Neither is doing anything wacky like Kinect. AMD is probably offering similar deals to both.

And Sony could be 50% down on power and still beat Xbox Series X. Xbox only sells in English speaking countries; it's not a rivalry when one side always wins.

Both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are $300 US.

Not a good sign for PS5 pricing, since the current systems have much more power for the same price for X.

This can hold true to SeX and PS5. Same price, but SeX more powerful.

Didn't even consider the optics and possible foreshadowing of this. Nice catch.

In regards the power metrics, Pro and X have a gulf of 1.8. Say for example that stays the same for PS5 and XSX, would be 10.38 TF - 12.18 (I'm assuming XSX is at the absolute bottom of the sweetspot range). But this'd either also hint PS5 with a 48CU chip (1690MHz) or the clocks pushed even higher than 2GHz on a 40CU chip(2028MHz)

With them being RDNA2 tho, it's possible the sweetspot range's moved up by, say, 50MHz. If both systems are RDNA2 that would be 10.69TF (PS5; 48CU chip) - 12.5TF (XSX).

...assuming that isn't reading too much into the pricing move coupled with today's news, which I very much likely am hence marking this shit as spoilers xD

And now that seals the deal. 12 TF RDNA2. Not "of" RDNA2 on RDNA1 like some thought (though it was fair to still think that imho).

12 TF RDNA2. Good Lord. That actually also leaves more room on the die for whatever RT solution, 3D audio etc. etc. is present, too, I would assume. They've done an excellent job this go-round. Got me hoping for some PS5 news from Sony within the week ;)

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox has Lockhart to cover that gap. So other than games Sony has no advantage. Value (Game Pass), Price and power are pretty much Xbox.

So other than the only thing that actually matters, Microsoft has it covered? That's still not a great position to be in.

And we don't know anything about Lockhart at this point.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I don't think it will be $599 but even still, how do you expect gaming to evolve if they keep sticking to this magical $299-$399 price point? Everything in life goes up with inflation. Look at the cost of other tech and other things in your life and what the cost was then back when PS3 or even PS4 was released.

Your statement is ridiculous. You're living in la la land and if you can't see the value in what's in the console, what it has to offer and your enjoyment out of it then I think you may need to re-consider what it means to be a gamer, maybe you shouldn't be one if it's too expensive for you. Things cost money, there's lots of other things i'd also like to do in life as a hobby but don't have the money for it, I don't whinge that those hobbies are expensive and demand they lower the price of admission. It can't be the PS3 all over again because it's a PS5 with completely different technology and released many many years later.

Everyone wants something for nothing! Maybe they should just give it to you for free? Oh wait they cost $450 to make, they nearly are!

Last edited:
So, I’m dead set that it will be 499 minimum, but I was wondering:

IF they somehow manage to sell this beast for 399, would that in turn cause a drop in desktop GPU prices?

why buy a 2070 Super for 499 when you can get the XsX for 399, for example?

Justin9mm

The 360 demolished the PS3 in England, so yeah. England hasnt been partisan in the past, and there’s no reason to think they‘ll change.
PS4 demolished Xbox One in England. It was easier to jump sides before as games were not compatible at the time between generations but now both consoles are able to keep your existing library and play the same as if it was still on your last gen console so people jumping back to Xbox from PlayStation is more unlikely as they've already invested in extensive physical and digital libraries. Don't forget the digital side really took off this generation, a lot of people want to be able to bring their digital library to the new console.

bRacing

Banned
PS4 demolished Xbox One in England. It was easier to jump sides before as games were not compatible at the time between generations but now both consoles are able to keep your existing library and play the same as if it was still on your last gen console so people jumping back to Xbox from PlayStation is more unlikely as they've already invested in extensive physical and digital libraries. Don't forget the digital side really took off this generation, a lot of people want to be able to bring their digital library to the new console.
Meh, if there’s enough of it on Gamepass, I won’t be bothered. Plus apparently my 360 games will work on the new console.

Mass Shift

Yeah, they're acting a certain kind of way right now.

Cheers Microsoft

gallery-1467725698-leonardo-di-caprio-great-gatsby.gif

Vast majority of gamers on both platforms have probably just a couple dozen games in their collection at most, majority of those being iterative annual 3rd-party games (Madden, FIFA, COD, Battlefield etc.) or games that are highly platform-agnostic in save data and other such things (Fortnite, Minecraft etc.).

I think people are overestimating how many non-hardcore gamers have 100s of games in their digital collections, let alone vast tons of them being 1st-party games/content. 3rd-party games are the favorites of the wider console market, and they tend to favor 3rd-party titles that happen to be platform-independent in their save data and DLC content, or are franchise annual games where they hardly ever go back to the older installment when the new one comes out.

And multimedia content is highly platform-agnostic, very much tied to the service itself so as long as the other platforms have the app, they'll have that content available to them. MS and Sony opening up on cross-platform multiplayer support further frees up the casuals to just go with whatever platform appeals to them on price, library and features and not worry if their friends are on a different platform. This even extends to core and hardcore gamers.

So, I’m dead set that it will be 499 minimum, but I was wondering:

IF they somehow manage to sell this beast for 399, would that in turn cause a drop in desktop GPU prices?

why buy a 2070 Super for 499 when you can get the XsX for 399, for example?

Probably not. Considering only something like 2% of all PC owners even have rigs that are considered high-end (or something like that), comparable to what the next-gen systems will bring (at the very least), I don't think either system needs to worry about a mass exodus of potential customers to PC and I doubt PC GPU card makers will suddenly offer anything to draw in legions of console gamers that they haven't already put out there.

The two seem to target pretty discrete markets despite some crossover; PC power users would still get the top-end GPU cards for productivity reasons. It's more than just elite PC gamers who buy those cards, after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom