• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

MilkyJoe

I don't think HD Goldeneye would be possible without Nintendo's permission (in fact, iirc, that's why it didn't happen).

How I'd love a Goldeneye makeover similar to what they did with Perfect Dark.

OK say they dont do Goldeneye but they call it "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" eh? eh? see what I'm getting at? Slap a new Skin on, but similar gameplay mechanics...with dual thumb support, obviously

Then they could make.... what are we up to now ? 23? 24? sequels...

Old Joe knows what's best for the Bone.

nynt9

Yeah, but they forgot the most important thing: To sell for more than the competition you better make sure you got better hardware. X1 wont take off until it is $100 cheaper than PS4, being 30% less powerful.

The problem is, until they make that price drop, every month the gap between PS4 and XB1 widens. Even if they sell more than the PS4 for a couple of months, the PS4 now has a head start that will require several months of very solid sales from the XB1 for it to surpass the PS4.

The problem is, until they make that price drop, every month the gap between PS4 and XB1 widens. Even if they sell more than the PS4 for a couple of months, the PS4 now has a head start that will require several months of very solid sales from the XB1 for it to surpass the PS4.

What's worse is that the only salvageable regions are the US and UK. However, even in the X1's strongest territories, the PS4 is beating it handily there, too.

Skeff

Which in turns means that buying exclusives becomes more expensive every month and the "all my friends have ps4" mantra becomes stronger and stronger...

nynt9

Which in turns means that buying exclusives becomes more expensive every month and the "all my friends have ps4" mantra becomes stronger and stronger...

It's even worse because now both consoles have paid online services so the possibility of jumping ship from one to the other or double dipping is lower as you're already investing money in one. With there being so few exclusives per year, only the very hardcore will prefer to have both. And superiority with multiplatform games matters more.

Gator86

What's worse is that the only salvageable regions are the US and UK. However, even in the X1's strongest territories, the PS4 is beating it handily there, too.

That's the thing people forget when they spout a bunch of nonsense comparing the ps3 to the xbone. Sony made a comeback across the globe rather than one or two specific territories. So even though Sony mostly conceded the US to MS, they could still gain ground. MS has no viable route to catch up. Even if they somehow maintain sales parity in the US the rest of the way, they'd still be way behind in sales. The best they can do is stop the market share hemorrhaging in the US and be a profitable second place.

"Surfer." I surf the servers; I don't serve the surfers. :)

not to be rude but the problem with your argument is that it fails to explain the initial numbers we're trying to build off of.
Not to be rude, and Birgette touched on it here, but I think a big part of the reason we're having trouble getting things to add up is because the initial numbers you're trying to build off of were never explained.

When MS announced 3M, some people questioned it, since as you mentioned, there were over half a million phantom sales, and the unreported countries didn't seem large enough to account for the discrepancy. At the time, I was told "some insiders" had said the actual sell-through was closer to 2.8M, but I didn't see the posts, so I don't know who said what. Regardless, the general consensus at the time seemed to be, "/shrug Maybe they sold 300K in Italy? I mean, MS wouldn't just lie right to our faces, right?" so those questioning the 3M were largely ignored.

But I think part of the problem you're having such a hard time explaining how T1.5 could've possibly purchased so many consoles in 2014 is for a couple of reasons; a) no one ever adequately explained the initial numbers on which you've based all of your multiplication, so now you have $SHADY_NUMBERS * (1 + $MOMENTUM), and b) it seems to be predicated on the assumption MS has sold a minimum of 4.5M units because, "there's no way Sony could have already doubled them up."

Regarding the latter, Sony is already more than doubling them in software sales, so I see no particular reason to assume the hardware ratio must be less than 2:1. Regarding the former, if the leaks were accurate and the 3M really didn't add up, that would put 2013 US concentration already at 64%, and given the dismal post-holiday, non-US/UK interest in the platform, it's hard to imagine the US concentration hasn't increased from 2013, which would put them at somewhere in the 4.1-4.4M range worldwide, assuming a 6-2% overall increase.

4.4M would be very optimistic IMO; it would indicate things aren't as bad in mainland Europe as the German software charts would indicate, and again, we've got Ubi's sales supporting a 2:1 ratio anyway.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That's the thing people forget when they spout a bunch of nonsense comparing the ps3 to the xbone. Sony made a comeback across the globe rather than one or two specific territories. So even though Sony mostly conceded the US to MS, they could still gain ground. MS has no viable route to catch up. Even if they somehow maintain sales parity in the US the rest of the way, they'd still be way behind in sales. The best they can do is stop the market share hemorrhaging in the US and be a profitable second place.

A profitable second place is not going to be an easy goal for MS in a shrinking console market though, especially when there are only two markets where the Xbox brand is still popular. Less Xbox Live subscribers, less consoles and accessories sales, less licensing fees, less software sales but higher game development costs, a 400 million dollar NFL licensing deal that won't do anything outside of the US. The Xbox One will never ever be as profitable as the Xbox 360.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those comments doesn't exists right? They are product of my mind right? Just my persecution complex creating false impression that people jump on anyone that do not downplay the xbox. lol.
Yup, I was definitely jumping on this guy for not downplaying the xbox.

This guy.

Mine was a stupid joke because he said 'fairly happy', you loon - nothing deeper than that. I think you need to take a break from forums, the last few days appear to have been hard on you.

Would you like me to make a joke at another console's expense? Just name your target and I'll give it a go.

He's one of the people who supports the silly notion that releasing the X1 in 2nd tier countries will provide a huge boost. I (and possibly many others) gave him/her a very thorough explanation as to why it will not happen. He/She really did not take it that well.

BigDug13

A profitable second place is not going to be an easy goal for MS in a shrinking console market though, especially when there are only two markets where the Xbox brand is still popular. Less Xbox Live subscribers, less consoles and accessories sales, less licensing fees, less software sales but higher game development costs, a 400 million dollar NFL licensing deal that won't do anything outside of the US. The Xbox One will never ever be as profitable as the Xbox 360.

Less likely for multi-console owners to buy both this gen as well since both charge for online this time. Wii-U has a shot as someone's second console. XBO and PS4 are kind of in a "make your one choice" scenario due to the subscription charge.

Price cut is ineffective, multiplats largely favour the PS4 and XB1 will be dead in JP and is doing abysmally in EU. I doubt third parties are keen on third party exclusives for the XB1 with the PS4 having near twice its install base.

MS has to rely on its first party. Its crucial. PS3's 2009 lineup was really spectacular in terms of first party exclusives. They need something like that for 2015.

rokkerkory

Price cut is ineffective, multiplats largely favour the PS4 and XB1 will be dead in JP and is doing abysmally in EU. I doubt third parties are keen on third party exclusives for the XB1 with the PS4 having near twice its install base.

MS has to rely on its first party. Its crucial. PS3's 2009 lineup was really spectacular in terms of first party exclusives. They need something like that for 2015.

Price cut is effective but not the only answer. Exclusive content like you said is another important differentiator.

All of last gen they could have worked on their first party. Instead they relied on moneyhats and third party games. In a way, I'm glad that'll finally come back and bite them in the behind. Maybe they'll learn that their first party should be taken seriously.

Ha! So, I'd been leaning towards an estimate of 4.25M for XBone, mostly because it was right in the middle of the 4.1-4.4M range I'd, come up with, and it's nice to have a solid number to work with. lol

So I took my "solid" estimate of 4.25M and compared it to the estimate of 8.9M(?) PS4s from SwiftDeath. That would give an installed base that's 68% PS4 and 32% XBone, which is precisely the software ratio Ubi had last quarter.

boom.gif

"Surfer." I surf the servers; I don't serve the surfers. :)

Noted

Not to be rude, and Birgette touched on it here, but I think a big part of the reason we're having trouble getting things to add up is because the initial numbers you're trying to build off of were never explained.

When MS announced 3M, some people questioned it, since as you mentioned, there were over half a million phantom sales, and the unreported countries didn't seem large enough to account for the discrepancy. At the time, I was told "some insiders" had said the actual sell-through was closer to 2.8M, but I didn't see the posts, so I don't know who said what. Regardless, the general consensus at the time seemed to be, "/shrug Maybe they sold 300K in Italy? I mean, MS wouldn't just lie right to our faces, right?" so those questioning the 3M were largely ignored.

I am simply working with the actual data points at hand, you realize this right?

If you want to say those data points are blatant lies, that's fine but then you have no empirical data to build off of so I'm not going to find any argument you make that compelling to be honest.

You are basically saying you feel like the XB1 can't possibly have sold X consoles in the countries outside of the ones we have listed in the given timeframes and therefore your argument rests on MS lying to us about sales numbers which while possible I just don't see the point in doing so.

But I think part of the problem you're having such a hard time explaining how T1.5 could've possibly purchased so many consoles in 2014 is for a couple of reasons; a) no one ever adequately explained the initial numbers on which you've based all of your multiplication, so now you have $SHADY_NUMBERS * (1 + $MOMENTUM),

Why would the burden of proof on how XB1 is selling in those other countries be somehow on me? I have the only empirical data on my side of the argument. You have "I don't feel like it could possibly have sold X # of consoles in this country" on your side. I don't know what the XB1 sold, maybe it's 3M + 1 console WW, maybe it's 5.2M but my estimates put it around 4.5M to 4.8M depending how you swing the WW ratio and that's all it is. I make no guarantees and I keep my mind open to a plethora of possibilities to the fate of XB1 WW sales.

and b) it seems to be predicated on the assumption MS has sold a minimum of 4.5M units because, "there's no way Sony could have already doubled them up."

Bwhahaahaha ok I said that really? Please enlighten me. I think XB1 sold 4.5M or greater because that is what the crap data points I have tell me it likely sold based on US trends. When did I ever say MS must've sold 4.5M because there's no way PS4 doubled it's sales already. lol that's pretty good.

Besides my estimate for PS4 puts it around 8.7M so it could easily have broken 9M WW already and have done that already

Regarding the latter, Sony is already more than doubling them in software sales, so I see no particular reason to assume the hardware ratio must be less than 2:1.

Again where did I make the assumption that the bold is somehow a cornerstone of my estimates?

Regarding the former, if the leaks were accurate and the 3M really didn't add up, that would put 2013 US concentration already at 64%, and given the dismal post-holiday, non-US/UK interest in the platform, it's hard to imagine the US concentration hasn't increased from 2013, which would put them at somewhere in the 4.1-4.4M range worldwide, assuming a 6-2% overall increase.

Please source the bold because I don't remember any notable sources claiming as such for MS's WW 3M number

4.4M would be very optimistic IMO; it would indicate things aren't as bad in mainland Europe as the German software charts would indicate, and again, we've got Ubi's sales supporting a 2:1 ratio anyway.

Right and that's your opinion on top of a stack of assumptions larger than anything I've ever tried to numerically estimate before. Could it be right? Sure it's possible but I don't hold much confidence in your methodology

Ha! So, I'd been leaning towards an estimate of 4.25M for XBone, mostly because it was right in the middle of the 4.1-4.4M range I'd, come up with, and it's nice to have a solid number to work with. lol

So I took my "solid" estimate of 4.25M and compared it to the estimate of 8.9M(?) PS4s from SwiftDeath. That would give an installed base that's 68% PS4 and 32% XBone, which is precisely the software ratio Ubi had last quarter.

boom.gif

So your proposition is that the co-marketing with Sony on Watch Dogs had no effect at all on platform splits? Like zero? Why don't you compare 360 and PS3 splits and see what comes out then? I'm sure Watch Dogs wasn't a huge chunk of Ubisoft SW sales or anything....

I am simply working with the actual data points at hand, you realize this right?

If you want to say those data points are blatant lies, that's fine but then you have no empirical data to build off of so I'm not going to find any argument you make that compelling to be honest.

You are basically saying you feel like the XB1 can't possibly have sold X consoles in the countries outside of the ones we have listed in the given timeframes and therefore your argument rests on MS lying to us about sales numbers which while possible I just don't see the point in doing so.
Well, I suppose so, yes. I just find it hard to believe we got sales reports from the biggest countries outside of the US and UK, and somehow the smaller countries totaled still more sales. I found the 3M figure hard to swallow at the time, and I guess I feel like then multiplying it out simply illustrates my point that there's no way Italy is buying this many XBones.

Why would the burden of proof on how XB1 is selling in those other countries be somehow on me?
I'm not saying the burden of proof is on you. I suppose the burden of proof would be on MS. I'm saying that, by your own admission, the original data is completely unsupported, so I would think you would be similarly skeptical about its accuracy, especially in light of the fact that your own machinations seem to highlight flaws in the original methodology of, "Let's believe whatever MS tell us." It's not really "empirical data," BTW. They themselves called it "internal estimates," and it was produced within hours of the year actually ending, as I recall. Anyway.

I don't know what the XB1 sold, maybe it's 3M + 1 console WW, maybe it's 5.2M but my estimates put it around 4.5M to 4.8M depending how you swing the WW ratio and that's all it is. I make no guarantees and I keep my mind open to a plethora of possibilities to the fate of XB1 WW sales.
Right, and the actual ratio is basically the only thing we disagree on. Your estimates are based on the ratio shifting from 60% at launch as much as five points to 65% now. I'm saying that MS "estimates" may have been a little off, and the ratio has instead gone from 64% at launch to 68% currently.

Neither of us will ever know the truth, but it seems like my sales are at least easier to explain, at launch and especially now.

Bwhahaahaha ok I said that really? Please enlighten me. I think XB1 sold 4.5M or greater because that is what the crap data points I have tell me it likely sold based on US trends. When did I ever say MS must've sold 4.5M because there's no way PS4 doubled it's sales already. lol that's pretty good.
Sorry, I didn't mean to mischaracterize what you were saying. It seemed like you were stuck on a minimum of 4.5M to date, but instead it sounds like you're stuck on a minimum of 3M in 2013, which is perfectly reasonable, if you don't look too hard at the numbers.

Besides my estimate for PS4 puts it around 8.7M so it could easily have broken 9M WW already and have done that already
My bad. You posted 8.68M, but I remembered 8.86M several hours later. ><

Please source the bold because I don't remember any notable sources claiming as such for MS's WW 3M number
As I said, I never saw the original claims. I showed up late to the 3M thread, asking how they got to 3M and was told that "insiders" had pegged it at 2.8M. That's all I know, but it made sense then, and seems to make even more sense now.

Right and that's your opinion on top of a stack of assumptions larger than anything I've ever tried to numerically estimate before. Could it be right? Sure it's possible but I don't hold much confidence in your methodology
Well, software splits would suggest a lower estimate for the number of XBones out there, especially if, as NPD suggests, XBone owners buy more games per console. If they're all buying extra games, their software share should exceed their hardware share, right?

So your proposition is that the co-marketing with Sony on Watch Dogs had no effect at all on platform splits? Like zero? Why don't you compare 360 and PS3 splits and see what comes out then? I'm sure Watch Dogs wasn't a huge chunk of Ubisoft SW sales or anything....
I'd actually considered that, but I think it's too early in the generation to have had much effect on the PS4/XBone split, apart from simply making people decide to buy the PS4 in the first place, I suppose. This early in the generation, I can't imagine there are tens of thousands of people who own both platforms, so I don't think there are a significant number of people saying, "Okay, I'll get Black Flag for my PS4, and Ghosts on the Bone." I think that nine months in, people are just buying for whatever platform they have, even if they'll eventually "get the other one once the price drops." Even those that do already own both, they're gonna favor one or the other for their multiplats, and if they're already choosing their PS4, why would that suddenly change mid-generation?

Death2494

Close to 3 Million. PS4's a little bit above 3.5 Million.

npdjune2014consolelifbtsct.jpg

All the time you spent in this thread and you're telling me you couldn't quote this?

2.9 Xbox One
3.6 PS4

700k lead and expanding.

According to SwiftDeath's data and my own calculation US represents 60% with ROTW = 40%

Xbox One sold to consumbers is 4.2m - 4.7m

PS4 WW establishing nearly a 2-1 as far as install bases go.

I think the Wii U would make for a compelling 2nd system. (biased lol already have it) But only because there isn't much Xbox One offers that you can't get on PS4. Wii U first party seems to rate pretty damn good and let's not forget Bayonetta 2.

My question is, if Xbox One continues to sell like it is, how are 3rd party studio going to justify excluding the Wii U? (Assuming the titles cross gen)

Well, I suppose so, yes. I just find it hard to believe we got sales reports from the biggest countries outside of the US and UK, and somehow the smaller countries totaled still more sales. I found the 3M figure hard to swallow at the time, and I guess I feel like then multiplying it out simply illustrates my point that there's no way Italy is buying this many XBones.

Actually your wording is incorrect because we have no data that objectively proves theres "no way Italy is buying this many XB1's". Is it unlikely XB1 has sold 10M units in Italy alone? Sure that's has an almost 0% probability but we don't know that. [10M is purposeful hyperbole btw :)]

Besides its Italy, Australia [not including launch], Austria, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Mexico and New Zeland.

I just don't see the rationale in MS lying about 3M consoles sold WW when like a day later they were shown up by Sony's 4.2M announcement

I'm not saying the burden of proof is on you. I suppose the burden of proof would be on MS. I'm saying that, by your own admission, the original data is completely unsupported, so I would think you would be similarly skeptical about its accuracy, especially in light of the fact that your own machinations seem to highlight flaws in the original methodology of, "Let's believe whatever MS tell us." It's not really "empirical data," BTW. They themselves called it "internal estimates," and it was produced within hours of the year actually ending, as I recall. Anyway.

There is no empirical data that argues that MS lied about the 3M numbers. There is literally a lack of data on the subject. You realize that right? So the only "supported" argument is that MS sold 3M WW in that timeframe by MS's admission and you can choose to believe that or not. But the lack of numbers from other regions doesn't somehow support MS was lying.

As per my belief on MS's 3M WW announcement, it's clearly internal data because it has to be just like PS4 or Wii U WW numbers since not all markets are tracked accurately or at all. I think they were close enough to announce it so at best they had good data on hitting 2.8M or 2.9M and projected the last 100k or 200k. That's as far as my disbelief on the matter goes.

Right, and the actual ratio is basically the only thing we disagree on. Your estimates are based on the ratio shifting from 60% at launch as much as five points to 65% now. I'm saying that MS "estimates" may have been a little off, and the ratio has instead gone from 64% at launch to 68% currently.

Ok? So changing up past data that we've been given to better fit your estimation better fits your estimation? If you expect WW XB1 sales to be around 4.2M right now then yes a 64% US:WW sales ratio would better lead to that outcome but that doesn't mean it's anymore accurate than anything else I've seen and honestly has less weight behind it

Neither of us will ever know the truth, but it seems like my sales are at least easier to explain, at launch and especially now.

How? All you're saying is I don't think MS sold, I don't know, around 500k in Italy, Australia [not including launch day], Austria, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Mexico and New Zeland through YTD 2013. That's the crux of our "argument". There's nothing "easier" about it, you simply hold a different opinion to me on the matter.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mischaracterize what you were saying. It seemed like you were stuck on a minimum of 4.5M to date, but instead it sounds like you're stuck on a minimum of 3M in 2013, which is perfectly reasonable, if you don't look too hard at the numbers.

No worries I simply wanted to clarify I never made that assumption.

However I have looked more into the 3M numbers than most as clearly shown by my continued correspondence in this thread with you. We're again still pretty much arguing about a "phantom" 500k that "couldn't possibly" have been sold in the unaccounted for regions of Italy, Australia [not including launch day], Austria, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Mexico and New Zeland through YTD 2013.

So forgive me if I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume the 3M number is correct or close enough to assume so.

My bad. You posted 8.68M, but I remembered 8.86M several hours later. ><

It's fine. I've made several different PS4 WW estimates recently, the one I think is most accurate is probably 8.68M til end of June although it's very possible it's quite a bit higher with maybe European stock being readily available for some months now. Hard to say

As I said, I never saw the original claims. I showed up late to the 3M thread, asking how they got to 3M and was told that "insiders" had pegged it at 2.8M. That's all I know, but it made sense then, and seems to make even more sense now.

That's like your opinion though? Without any sort of supporting evidence

Well, software splits would suggest a lower estimate for the number of XBones out there, especially if, as NPD suggests, XBone owners buy more games per console. If they're all buying extra games, their software share should exceed their hardware share, right?

But you don't how much more XB1 owners buy over PS4 owners at a WW level, nor do you know if purchasing habits of XB1 buyers are the same in the ROTW as they are in the US. Maybe in the US XB1 is mostly primary consoles whereas in ROTW [or Germany] it's a secondary console.

You are making large assumptions which while certainly not impossible by any means do not have anything but your own opinion and subjective data to back it up.

IE I'm pretty damn sure that in Germany, PS4 is selling much better than XB1 relative to the holiday months but that's a subjective take on it that I can't accurately adjust my numbers for.

I'd actually considered that, but I think it's too early in the generation to have had much effect on the PS4/XBone split, apart from simply making people decide to buy the PS4 in the first place, I suppose. This early in the generation, I can't imagine there are tens of thousands of people who own both platforms, so I don't think there are a significant number of people saying, "Okay, I'll get Black Flag for my PS4, and Ghosts on the Bone." I think that nine months in, people are just buying for whatever platform they have, even if they'll eventually "get the other one once the price drops." Even those that do already own both, they're gonna favor one or the other for their multiplats, and if they're already choosing their PS4, why would that suddenly change mid-generation?

Uh maybe the co-marketing encouraged a lot of people who already own PS4 to buy Watch Dogs while not encouraging to the same extent a lot of XB1 owners? Or are you suggesting that the absolute number of sales of Watch Dogs on PS4 would be the same with or without the co-marketing?

In other words I imagine the marketing deal led to a greater attach rate on PS4 for it and a lower attach rate on XB1 as would follow logicially

Squozen

You're only looking at the direct to consumer hikes though.
What about third party certification fees where third parties literally have no alternative to publish?
What about accessories when proprietary interfaces are just so much more profitable than standards like USB? (Hows your memory card pricing working out Vita owners?)
What about retailers where you can say "Well you better take x million of our shitty product, because otherwise were not selling you any of our successful product"?

In the last case, that's against the law. Ask Microsoft.

The first point is a legitimate concern, but Sony brought out a proprietary memory card WITH competition. Apple used a proprietary connector WITH competition. Microsoft didn't use Bluetooth to pair their controllers. I'd discount your second point as well.

In the last case, that's against the law. Ask Microsoft.

I really don't think it is; suppliers make that kind of deal all the time to retailers ("We can give you one crate of hot property for every crate of crap you also buy").

That isn't the same as forced bundling of IE with windows, if thats what youre referring to...?
Suppliers are under no obligation to provide retailers with stock at all, and can do so under whatever terms they wish if the commodity is in demand enough for the retailer to put up with it.

The first point is a legitimate concern, but Sony brought out a proprietary memory card WITH competition. Apple used a proprietary connector WITH competition. Microsoft didn't use Bluetooth to pair their controllers. I'd discount your second point as well.

Not supporting standards where competitors do is a disincentive to purchase; I have no idea what percentage of people skipped a Vita because they would need to buy overpriced proprietary cards, but it would be more than zero.

Shitty proprietary locks does create secondary markets though; think Datel memory card accessories over the years.

IN&OUT

Banned
Close to 3 Million. PS4's a little bit above 3.5 Million.

I like the way you presented those numbers . Lol

Xbone is CLOSE to 3 million, PS4 is LITTLE BIT above 3.5 million.

You are trying so hard Bgamer, you could have been more accurate and said 2.9m Xbone VS 3.6m PS4.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

All the time you spent in this thread and you're telling me you couldn't quote this?

2.9 Xbox One
3.6 PS4

700k lead and expanding.

According to SwiftDeath's data and my own calculation US represents 60% with ROTW = 40%

I think the Wii U would make for a compelling 2nd system. (biased lol already have it) But only because there isn't much Xbox One offers that you can't get on PS4. Wii U first party seems to rate pretty damn good and let's not forget Bayonetta 2.

My question is, if Xbox One continues to sell like it is, how are 3rd party studio going to justify excluding the Wii U? (Assuming the titles cross gen)

The wii u's problem wasn't just it's sales, if that were the case it'd probably still be ports like last gen. It's problem was the majority of third party publishers output sell like crap on the system it's why even Ubisoft ditched. The XB1 at least has that going for it which is why it'll continue to receive support.

Death2494

You are trying so hard Bgamer, you could have been more accurate and said 2.9m Xbone VS 3.6m PS4.

I know, right? It's so weird he worded it that way when he has at least over 9 post in the June NPD thread. He had to have seen that chart in the OP.
Bumping up Xbox One numbers while undertracking PS4 numbers lol. Sound like he should start site similar to another site that shares the same MO.

2.9 Xbox One
3.6 PS4

700k lead and expanding.

woah woah lets get back to reality.

1) Cross gen titles are dying out. There will be none by the end of next year. Heck how many cross gen titles have been announced for 2015?

2) XB1 has sold 2.9 million in 8 months. WiiU has taken 20 months to reach 2.5 million. I think pubs can all see the difference here. One platform is going to grow far more than the other.

3) Software sales for XB1 have been solid unlikeWiiU where they were piss poor.

4) By 2016 there will be no cross gen titles (exception being EA sports). WiiU will also be ignored due to its lack of power.

Death2494

woah woah lets get back to reality.

1) Cross gen titles are dying out. There will be none by the end of next year. Heck how many cross gen titles have been announced for 2015?

2) XB1 has sold 2.9 million in 8 months. WiiU has taken 20 months to reach 2.5 million. I think pubs can all see the difference here. One platform is going to grow far more than the other.

3) Software sales for XB1 have been solid unlikeWiiU where they were piss poor.

4) By 2016 there will be no cross gen titles (exception being EA sports). WiiU will also be ignored due to its lack of power.

Are you serious?
1. Cross gen titles are around for atleast another year or two

2. You are referring to US alone, not globally. Nintendo has more appeal, globally than Microsoft

3. Because it's had 3rd party support. Wii U doesn't have that so of course. 1st party is a different story now isn't it?
Mario Kart 8 450k in America in only 3 days. Titanfall for Xbox One/PC (March 11 release Date) ony 925k that 3 weeks and 2 platforms

4. Isn't this the same point as the first one? I've already addressed it

If it's a cross gen title, Wii U is definitely more powerful than last gen consoles. That was my argument given the state of Xbox One sales. Because Wii U still has a larger install base globally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

2.9 Xbox One
3.6 PS4

700k lead and expanding.

Given an estimate of 8m PS4 globally, and 3.6m in US, that would put the ratio at roughly 45:55 US:RoW, significantly different to the Xb1 estimate of 60:40.

So every 100k XB1 sales in the US = 67k RoW = 167k globally
For every 100k PS4 sales in the US = 122k RoW = 222k globally

Therefore XB1 would have to outsell PS4 in the US each month by around 35% just to maintain parity worldwide.
Eg XB1 135k US, 90k RoW, 225k global; PS4 100k US, 122k RoW, 222k global

Or, If PS4 sold 50% more than Xb1 in the US, that would represent a global ratio of 2:1
Eg XB1 100k US, 67k RoW, 167k global; PS4 150k US, 183k RoW, 333k global

THIS PROVES IT. THE INTERNET HATE THE XBOX!
Some people perceive a rational and realistic discussion of the market as it stands as a personal attack on their choices. However, it is possible to like a device and still realize that it will not be a big seller or ever meet the company's initial projections for it. I have a Vita. I KNOW!

Are you serious?
1. Cross gen titles are around for atleast another year or two

2. You are referring to US alone, not globally. Nintendo has more appeal, globally than Microsoft

3. Because it's had 3rd party support. Wii U doesn't have that so of course. 1st party is a different story now isn't it?

4. Isn't this the same point as the first one? I've already addressed it

If it's a cross gen title, Wii U is definitely more powerful than last gen consoles. That was my argument given the state of Xbox One sales. Because Wii U still has a larger install base globally.

How many cross gen titles have been announced for next year?

Globally XB1 is probably only 1 million behind WiiU. WiiU has been on the market for 12 months extra. Still shows my point.

WiiU had third party support and in 99% it resulted in massive flops. As I've said XB1 software sales are solid and hundreds of times better than WiiU's despite having a lower install base.

Death2494

How many cross gen titles have been announced for next year?

Globally XB1 is probably only 1 million behind WiiU. WiiU has been on the market for 12 months extra. Still shows my point.

WiiU had third party support and in 99% it resulted in massive flops. As I've said XB1 software sales are solid and hundreds of times better than WiiU's despite having a lower install base.

3rd party titles are selling the Xbox One.

Mario Kart 8 450k in 3 days. That's a 150k/d
Titanfall X1/PC 925k in 20 day. That's only ~47k/d

The issue isn't that Nintendo games don't sell. The problem is that third party titles don't sell on Nintendo hardware. At least, not the same type that sells on PS/XB

are we seriously gonna pull the "fastest selling" card?

anyway it's about 3rd party games not doing anything on Nintendo consoles, especially now that the Wii audience left

MK8 is a first party title. Point was third party titles sell abysmally.

bwahahahaahah nice spin, let me try

Titanfall X1/PC 925k in 20 day. That's ~47k/d
MK8 885k in 33 days. That's only 26.8k/d

Death2494

The issue isn't that Nintendo games don't sell. The problem is that third party titles don't sell on Nintendo hardware. At least, not the same type that sells on PS/XB

Yeah I know. But hasn't this always been the case with Nintendo's consoles? I know it was true to an extent with the Wii.

I think Bgamer is one of the more reasonable Xbox fans on here. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt here and entertain the possibility that he was just citing rounded off numbers off the top of his head, rather than deliberately trying to mislead.

Death2494

MK8 is a first party title. Point was third party titles sell abysmally.

bwahahahaahah nice spin, let me try

Titanfall X1/PC 925k in 20 day. That's ~47k/d
MK8 885k in 33 days. That's only 26.8k/d

You fail on so many levels.
You should have added April's number and the 360 platform to TitanFall sales if you wanted to do that correctly. Even doing that the numbers still wouldn't have worked in your favor. Also according to you original statement, you never stated that you were speaking about 3rd party titles only. You just mentioned software sales are....solid and hundred of times
better
. I was addressing that specific claim.

You tried to make that your point only after theprodigy and Dragonborn posts. Nice try though

Yeah I know. But hasn't this always been the case with Nintendo's consoles? I know it was true to an extent with the Wii.

Iirc, third party games sold really well on the Wii, it's just that they were casual games like Just Dance

Even if the X1 were to stay at 10 million sold (an extreme example, I know), big third party games would still come because they'd still sell enough

Death2494

Iirc, third party games sold really well on the Wii, it's just that they were casual games like Just Dance

Even if the X1 were to stay at 10 million sold (an extreme example, I know), big third party games would still come because they'd still sell enough

Yea I know. I'm looking at it as 2nd console purchase not main. Assuming this person already has a PS4 they'd probably be more inclined to purchase a Wii U over an Xbox One. This is mainly because it would come down to first party and that is the Wii U could possibly appeal more depending on the person

Raist

Banned
For console sales it goes something like,

1. United States
  2. United Kingdom
  3. Canada
  4. France
  5. Germany

And so on

I doubt it. 2013 Canadian VG market = $2.3B (&#8364;1.6B)
Compared to France's and Germany's 2.7B, it's not likely more consoles are being sold there.

Death2494

Look at what you're doing, son.

Sorry. I should have clarified that a little more but my point is 3rd party titles are why Xbox One is more appealing than Wii U.

The next part was just an example to further that point. Exclusive-wise the Wii U is on par, if not better, than what the Xbox One is offering.

Wow that PS2 LTD is like 17.5 times less than the equivalent US LTD I'm pretty sure. Damn that's small
Sorry to cut to the chase here, but this is exactly what I've been on about. You accuse me of hand-waving away established history because it doesn't fit my estimate, but that's precisely what MS did when then effectively said, "… pluuuus… another 1.2M outside the US."

So where are the other 1.2M? You posted reports from UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Australia totaling 692K. At 5-6% of US, that's another 103K in Canada. Earlier someone said Ireland is 5% of the UK by software, so one would assume they buy a proportional amount of hardware to run it. That's another 18K in the bank for MS.

So that's 813K accounted for, either directly through reports and leaks, or reasonable estimates based on historical buying trends. That leaves 387K units to be sold in Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Austria, and New Zealand. I guess we can put NZ down for at least 200K. Amirite? :p

Seriously though, I don't care which one of us ends up doing the research on their actual size — or if either of us do — but I doubt those remaining countries can come anywhere close to adding up to 400K XBones.

So without something to back up Microsoft's original claim — like reports of astronomical sales in Mexico, for example — it doesn't hold much more weight with me than saying, "But it says quite plainly, 'The number of the counting shall be Three.'"

And that's why I'm a little baffled when you accuse me of hand-waving. :)

Sorry to cut to the chase here, but this is exactly what I've been on about. You accuse me of hand-waving away established history because it doesn't fit my estimate, but that's precisely what MS did when then effectively said, "… pluuuus… another 1.2M outside the US."

So where are the other 1.2M? You posted reports from UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Australia totaling 692K. At 5-6% of US, that's another 103K in Canada. Earlier someone said Ireland is 5% of the UK by software, so one would assume they buy a proportional amount of hardware to run it. That's another 18K in the bank for MS.

So that's 813K accounted for, either directly through reports and leaks, or reasonable estimates based on historical buying trends. That leaves 387K units to be sold in Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Austria, and New Zealand. I guess we can put NZ down for at least 200K. Amirite? :p

Seriously though, I don't care which one of us ends up doing the research on their actual size — or if either of us do — but I doubt those remaining countries can come anywhere close to adding up to 400K XBones.

So without something to back up Microsoft's original claim — like reports of astronomical sales in Mexico, for example — it doesn't hold much more weight with me than saying, "But it says quite plainly, 'The number of the counting shall be Three.'"

A large multinational corporation talking about the sales of its newest hardware product holds a lot more weight to me then any particular forum poster with no inside information or track record.

It doesn't matter at the end of the day if you don't think there could be I don't know 300k or 400k consoles sold in the likes of Brazil, Italy, Australia, NZ etc. last year because that by itself will always be some personal opinion.

MS announcing 3M is not. It's a carefully planned corporate strategy and I don't understand how you can't see the difference?

Is it possible that MS intentionally lied about the 3M number? Sure it's possible but I don't see why it would be worth it to them. They were almost immediately quieted by Sony's announcement. They had to have known they would be below Sony's numbers easily

A large multinational corporation talking about the sales of its newest hardware product holds a lot more weight to me then any particular forum poster with no inside information or track record.

It doesn't matter at the end of the day if you don't think there could be I don't know 300k or 400k consoles sold in the likes of Brazil, Italy, Australia, NZ etc. last year because that by itself will always be some personal opinion.
Wait, what? There are 3M Gen7 consoles in Brazil, or about 1% of the worldwide installed base for the three. But it's just my personal opinion it's unlikely MS had actually already sold 100K XBones there in 2013?? Just based on the market size, 1% of 3M XBones would only be 30K, not 100K. So that's another country off the list, and still more than 350K units to account for. The claim of 1.2M non-US sales flies in the face of established history. If you wanna take it at face value, that's fine, but since you seem to like to analyze this stuff, I don't really understand why you'd turn a blind eye here.

MS announcing 3M is not. It's a carefully planned corporate strategy and I don't understand how you can't see the difference?

Is it possible that MS intentionally lied about the 3M number? Sure it's possible but I don't see why it would be worth it to them. They were almost immediately quieted by Sony's announcement. They had to have known they would be below Sony's numbers easily
Seriously? So people like you can rationally explain to people like me that things aren't nearly as bad as I claim, in front of witnesses, preferably. You don't think MS are aware of the perceptual difference between "already 3:2" and "not even 3:2" after six weeks of sales? A couple hundred thousand units out of a few million is a significant bump in relative numbers, especially when people are gonna then take that launch-inflated, glided estimate and then multiply it out over the rest of the generation, that being the last "data" they have to work with.

Why would they lie to us? Really? They lied right to our faces about performance differences which were easily disproven, so the better question is why would they hesitate to lie to us about stuff they know we can't prove?

Wait, what? There are 3M Gen7 consoles in Brazil, or about 1% of the worldwide installed base for the three. But it's just my personal opinion it's unlikely MS had actually already sold 100K XBones there in 2013?? Just based on the market size, 1% of 3M XBones would only be 30K, not 100K. So that's another country off the list, and still more than 350K units to account for. The claim of 1.2M non-US sales flies in the face of established history. If you wanna take it at face value, that's fine, but since you seem to like to analyze this stuff, I don't really understand why you'd turn a blind eye here.

The basis of your claim for MS lying to us is that 491k XB1's did not sell in the following markets in 2013 YTD: Brazil, Italy, New Zealand, Canada, Austria, Australia [after launch], Ireland, and Mexico

Say an additional 100k in Australia [after launch], 150k in Canada, and 40k on average in the other 6 countries and there you have your so called impossible sell through data.

That's impossible to believe? Yes there's historical precedent but I don't have enough data about those countries to feel comfortable trying to extrapolate sales based on what little information we have. If you want to that's fine but I can't understand how you think it makes a compelling argument for others as proof that MS lied about their sell through information?

I'm not turning a blind eye I just don't see any compelling data to suggest otherwise. Maybe NZ sold 60k and only 20k sold in Brazil. Maybe Ireland ate up 80k at launch because they wanted it badly. I don't know but you can easily play with the numbers and get perfectly logical combinations that suggest they hit 3M

Seriously? So people like you can rationally explain to people like me that things aren't nearly as bad as I claim, in front of witnesses, preferably. You don't think MS are aware of the perceptual difference between "already 3:2" and "not even 3:2" after six weeks of sales? A couple hundred thousand units out of a few million is a significant bump in relative numbers, especially when people are gonna then take that launch-inflated, glided estimate and then multiply it out over the rest of the generation, that being the last "data" they have to work with.

Why would they lie to us? Really? They lied right to our faces about performance differences which were easily disproven, so the better question is why would they hesitate to lie to us about stuff they know we can't prove?

Yes because a corporation having some astroturfer post crap on some web forum is the same thing as letting every damn news outlet run with specific sell-through numbers. Ok

Top Bottom