• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts FY2017 Q2 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 55m (up 14,5%) Gaming revenue $3.595bn

Chaostar

They are counting people using windows in dem tasty MAUs. Anyone who has looked in and/or out of a window counts.

Mrbob

Only a matter of time now that they'll be out of the industry? Right?
Listening to analysts on CNBC and nothing was even brought up about xbox. These analysts don't even talk like they know Xbox exists. They only care about azure growth, ai, and machine learning. So I'm guessing as long as MS wants to keep going on with Xbox they will.

opricnik

Banned
Xbox Live is dead on those platforms so I doubt it had a lot of impact on the total number of MAU's
Stop talking about things you dont know.On W10 xbox app is already inside system even average people who downloaded any demo and never signed off counts as online acvitiy.

nice numbers to show MS but those mean nothing

freefornow

Monthly active users 55m on a console with a 26m install base? Are they counting ANY device capable of accessing LIVE? If so, I'd like to see the numbers for active users on the XB1 alone.

People who still own a 360 and are subscribed to Live will also be counted. From memory there was a healthy install base for the 360 (globally). It's not just Win10 and mobile. It's only 360 hardware that is not counted in this report.

Trago

Can't imagine how much better their digital revenue would be if they didn't shit the bed with their PC gaming "push". Otherwise, it seems that Live users are clearly embracing the digital side of things more and more, which is good.

That digital + software revenue in comparison to hardware slightly slowing is exactly an example of why MS is so focused on turning Xbox into a service based model where you can play content on a variety of devices (Console, PC, etc.)

In the future MS is going to care much more about how much digital revenue and subs they can get, they don't really care where you play them.

Shareholders don't care about Xbox, as long as it doesn't cause them to lose money. Xbox will stay.

Indeed. The word is that MS looks at Xbox as more of a passion project than anything. It doesn't really impact their business much in either way. As long as it doesn't post any crazy huge losses (which it isn't) it will stay. We will see the Xbox Division around for a long time.

MS said they are counting users on PC & Xbox, Gold/Silver. At this point, the real question, in particular on the PC front, is what constitutes a user - downloading or trying a demo of a game on the W10 store once could very well count.

Of course, for the sake of properly analyzing these statements, I'd say that's likely. I was just wondering if we have any hard measurements to go by, which it seems we do not.

SpartanN92

Banned
They are counting Windows 10 and mobile platforms..

There is the trick.

I'm not sure if Surface falls under Win10 or Mobile... I have a Surface Book... is that Win10 or Mobile?

If mobile is ONLY cellphones then it would barely account for these numbers.
Windows phones just aren't big sellers except as cheap prepaid phones.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not sure if Surface falls under Win10 or Mobile... I have a Surface Book... is that Win10 or Mobile?

If mobile is ONLY cellphones then it would barely account for these numbers.
Windows phones just aren't big sellers except as cheap prepaid phones.
MS in June 2016 launched the Xbox app for Android/iOS... that is why they added mobile in the MAUs.

It is not about Windows Phones anymore.

Indeed. The word is that MS looks at Xbox as more of a passion project than anything. It doesn't really impact their business much in either way. As long as it doesn't post any crazy huge losses (which it isn't) it will stay. We will see the Xbox Division around for a long time.

Hardware doesn't matter to them, it's software and services. The idea of being able to play any Xbox game on the PC or a console is awesome.

Trago

That digital + software revenue in comparison to hardware slightly slowing is exactly an example of why MS is so focused on turning Xbox into a service based model where you can play content on a variety of devices (Console, PC, etc.)

In the future MS is going to care much more about how much digital revenue and subs they can get, they don't really care where you play them.

Which is why I always laugh when people are like 'They are exiting the console business!'. They aren't. Microsoft have a clear agenda, make it to the level of Apple/Google. Apple and Google have their ecosystem/services on a broad range of devices. That's the direction Microsoft is headed in. It doesn't mean that they're leaving consoles, it means that they are expanding their reach beyond consoles.

Of course, they still have a lot of work to do, but as long as you are engaged in their services, they don't care what device you use.

Theorry

Which is why I always laugh when people are like 'They are exiting the console business!'. They aren't. Microsoft have a clear agenda, make it to the level of Apple/Google. Apple and Google have their ecosystem/services on a broad range of devices. That's the direction Microsoft is headed in. It doesn't mean that they're leaving consoles, it means that they are expanding their reach beyond consoles.

Of course, they still have a lot of work to do, but as long as you are engaged in their services, they don't care what device you use.

Its like Phil said when people said. Thank you for putting the games on PC now i dont have to buy a Xbox. That they found some loophole or something. You are still buying a MS published game on a W10 pc, buying from the windows store.

Admodieus

Personally speaking, I feel much more comfortable buying a game digitally in the XBox ecosystem than I do with the Sony ecosystem. I can attach an external hard drive so I'll never run out of space, the account management seems to be handled much better, cloud saves are automatic for every game on start-up, and now I can play many of those games on PC as well.

NolbertoS

Is the Xbox division likely profitable right now?

Depends where u atart the cash flow projectioms. If you atart it off since the Xbox Division started in 2000 then No, they aren't close to getting out of that hole. If you move rhe goalpost to count aince the Xbox 360 era where rhey became a household name, then yeah, they're making money

4Tran

Without actual revenue breakdowns, it's hard to say for sure whether this is good or bad for Xbox. However, it's probably not going to change its trajectory and how it's seen by the greater company. So if Xbox was doing well then this is good, if it wasn't then it's not. I do suspect that Xbox has been given new metrics fairly recently and it's going to be a big question whether it can meet them.

Listening to analysts on CNBC and nothing was even brought up about xbox. These analysts don't even talk like they know Xbox exists. They only care about azure growth, ai, and machine learning. So I'm guessing as long as MS wants to keep going on with Xbox they will.
Xbox is more or less irrelevant to Microsoft's bottom line.

Stop talking about things you dont know.On W10 xbox app is already inside system even average people who downloaded any demo and never signed off counts as online acvitiy.

You can make an Xbox account without signing up for Silver OR Gold.

I guess Microsoft should also stop talking about things they don't know ha.

Trago

Personally speaking, I feel much more comfortable buying a game digitally in the XBox ecosystem than I do with the Sony ecosystem. I can attach an external hard drive so I'll never run out of space, the account management seems to be handled much better, cloud saves are automatic for every game on start-up, and now I can play many of those games on PC as well.

I'll give Microsoft credit. Out of the big three, they are the main ones who have demonstrated that they are competent when it comes to digital distribution. And with Scorpio, the fact that your library/saves/DLC carries over means that they are building off of the foundation they set at the start of this generation and will continue to build off of that. You'd think this kind of thing would be standard by now on dedicated hardware.

EmiPrime

Would be nice to know Gold subscriber numbers as well as Xbox One sales (sold through to customers) but that seems like a lost cause: MS are all about that MAU now. Ho hum.

blakep267

They are counting people using windows in dem tasty MAUs. Anyone who has looked in and/or out of a window counts.
No then they'd have much more than 55 million so your wrong their. It's likely people who have signed in/ created a profile/ downloaded anything on the Xbox app on windows 10

Papacheeks

Banned
I'll give Microsoft credit. Out of the big three, they are the main ones who have demonstrated that they are competent when it comes to digital distribution. And with Scorpio, the fact that your library/saves/DLC carries over means that they are building off of the foundation they set at the start of this generation and will continue to build off of that. You'd think this kind of thing would be standard by now on dedicated hardware.

Playstastion does the same thing with Digital Distribution, and offers much better deals and pricing on games something akin to steam sales.

Something Xbox needs to start doing more.

Wereroku

And that guess would very likely be wrong.

Scorpio R&D isn't going to be all that expensive. Its basically off the shelf components.
Neither of the SOCs are just of the shelf parts. Also software compatibility is going to be very important for Ms since they are changing the RAM layout and promising compatibility with you already existing games.

wapplew

Playstastion does the same thing with Digital Distribution, and offers much better deals and pricing on games something akin to steam sales.

Something Xbox needs to start doing more.

But you could lose all your digital library in the future. MS let you keep them forever.

RoKKeR

Hardware decline isn't terribly surprising with the 360 being out of the game, we'll see if that course corrects this year. Software and services is where the Xbox division (and MS as a whole) is clearly moving to, so strong performance in that realm is certainly a good sign IMO.

JJH

Not to mention strong support for BC.

Neither of the SOCs are just of the shelf parts. Also software compatibility is going to be very important for Ms since they are changing the RAM layout and promising compatibility with you already existing games.

They are semi-custom, and very very similar to standard parts. Yes its not free, just like any R&D but I find it highly implausible that the R&D is so severe for Scorpio that it would make the entire division non-profitable. They are making serious money from subs and the digital storefront, not to mention the One S is likely very cheap to manufacture at this point.

I'm not claiming they are just raking in loads of money, but the question of they are profitable is pretty straight forward. There isn't much evidence to claim they are not.

Top Bottom