• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts FY2017 Q2 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 55m (up 14,5%) Gaming revenue $3.595bn

see5harp

Playstastion does the same thing with Digital Distribution, and offers much better deals and pricing on games something akin to steam sales.

Something Xbox needs to start doing more.

There are plenty of really great deals across both console storefronts all of the time but neither come close to being as good as Steam and probably never will be.

Unknown?

BC for 360 on Windows 10 could be pretty big imo. I know I would love it, especially if they would find a way / allow you to increase the resolutions on some of those older games.
How? Most 360 games are already on PC. It's only be good for a few titles. The rest would be inferior.

How? Most 360 games are already on PC. It's only be good for a few titles. The rest would be inferior.

I'm part of the minority that prefers the Xbox App vastly over Steams layout. I also buy MS games digitally so it would be cool to be able to play all those exclusives at 1080p (if they allowed this) on my PC that are nowhere near Steam.

Being able to play all those older Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable etc. titles again but in higher resolutions would be amazing.

xabbott

Playstastion does the same thing with Digital Distribution, and offers much better deals and pricing on games something akin to steam sales.

Something Xbox needs to start doing more.

I just wish Sony would allow me access to my digital PS1 and PS2 games on my PS4. Even if they had to charge me an "upgrade fee" to get the versions with trophies. That would be more tolerable than the current situation. Not to mention they could really leverage PS Now to allow access on a wide range of devices.

Despite the doom and gloom around here for Xbox/Microsoft. I feel they've made a lot of efforts and investments in making apps/games come with you across devices. I would have never suspected play anywhere support on 3rd party titles.I didn't expect the 360 titles to keep coming at the rate they have been. Now, a future where my XB1 purchases or even 360 titles play on a PC years from now is not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm pretty sure GAF (and a good chunk of the internet) would lose their shit if MS announced you could play RDR, Bayonetta, Lost Odyssey, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, and Halo 1-Reach tomorrow on your PC.

Though for the latter it's kinda baffling that MCC still isn't on PC, especially since Halo 6 is almost guaranteed to be multiplatform.

aadiboy

Do you need an Xbox live subscription to play W10 games online? If not, then that means over half of their subscribers are playing on 360.

Chaostar

If you log in in the Xbox Live yes... just log in in Windows not.

Windows 10 has a Xbox app to log in/out.

No then they'd have much more than 55 million so your wrong their. It's likely people who have signed in/ created a profile/ downloaded anything on the Xbox app on windows 10

Non-revenue accounts mixed in with paid Live accounts make the number meaningless.

Haha I think some people thought "looking" was a typo. Sorry guys it was a bad joke
not sorry at all :p

I'm pretty sure GAF (and a good chunk of the internet) would lose their shit if MS announced you could play RDR, Bayonetta, Lost Odyssey, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, and Halo 1-Reach tomorrow on your PC.

Though for the latter it's kinda baffling that MCC still isn't on PC, especially since Halo 6 is almost guaranteed to be multiplatform.

Indeed there are quite a few 360 games that aren't on PC whatsoever. BC would be pretty damn sweet on PC, and could be a useful tool for them to try and get some more people downloading the Xbox App and getting involved with their ecosystem. In fact I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it, other than I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to implement.

But man it could be a pretty big thing for them.

see5harp

I would be amazing, especially if it was somehow compatible with the games you already own like how BC works with XBOX one. If you had to buy digitally like you would have to do with PS2 games on PS4 or virtual console games on Wii U then fuck that shit.

$1billion in digital transactions in 3 months? Fuckin hell.

I hope the powers that be put more emphasis and resources towards making the Windows 10 store a fucking utopia.

DLMN8TR works on the MS Store right? What's the latest man? Are the download issues and discoverability getting sorted soon? I don't game on PC much so I'm not really vested in that beyond hoping for the best for PC-GAF.

Papacheeks

Banned
There are plenty of really great deals across both console storefronts all of the time but neither come close to being as good as Steam and probably never will be.

That's a straight up lie. Go say that to deals in 2015 where they had the cheapest price for The witcher 3.

They also had the cheapest price that year for Wolfenstein the Old blood i got it for 6 dollars as apposed to steams 10$.

They have deals all the time that are super cheap and on par to steam.

Here's a sale from just this past week

Lord of the Fallen $3.99 in a time not in Black Friday or in steam's case winter sale, or summer.

That's a straight up lie. Go say that to deals in 2015 where they had the cheapest price for The witcher 3.

They also had the cheapest price that year for Wolfenstein the Old blood i got it for 6 dollars as apposed to steams 10$.

Two deals does not at all mean PSN is close to Steam.

Toki767

Doesn't Solitaire on Windows 10 require a Live account now?

Or maybe not require, but they push it on you pretty hard.

Papacheeks

Banned
Two deals does not at all mean PSN is close to Steam.

You need to get out more outside of certain ecosystems.

Here's one from just past week

And that's just for one week. They did days of Christmas for over 4+ weeks after Black Friday deals during all of December.

They are heavily inspired by the way steam discounts it games and are a close second.

Also this past week Batman Arkham Knight was $4.99 on PSN.

not required, but they asked you to create or link a live account on the first start
AFAIK (i could be wrong about this, so correct me if i'm wrong)

Fuck me youre right...
But does that mean I count as 2 users? My console AND the app?

do you use 2 different accounts on mobile and the console?

Stop talking about things you dont know.On W10 xbox app is already inside system even average people who downloaded any demo and never signed off counts as online acvitiy.

nice numbers to show MS but those mean nothing

I've been using Windows 10 on my PC since it came out, and even I'm not among those MAU numbers for a Windows 10 PC. I'm apart of the 55 million strictly due to my Xbox One, and to a lesser degree, my Google Nexus 6P. I'm not even signed into the xbox app on my PC. I just went to it to see if it somehow automatically logged me in without me having to do so myself (something I'm aware you are not suggesting that it does), and it indeed didn't auto log me in.

So you definitely have to log in manually. With the setup being as it is, and with by far the heaviest Xbox Live activity happening on Xbox consoles, like the 360 or Xbox One (anyone dispute this?), there's really no sense trying to downplay the numbers by trying to make it appear like Windows 10 PCs account for some significant portion of the 55m. They almost certainly don't. And this doesn't even account for the possibility that if someone is logging into the Xbox App from their PC, they most likely also have an Xbox console.

Toki767

I've been using Windows 10 on my PC since it came out, and even I'm not among those MAU numbers for a Windows 10 PC. I'm apart of the 55 million strictly due to my Xbox One, and to a lesser degree, my Google Nexus 6P. I'm not even signed into the xbox app on my PC. I just went to it to see if it somehow automatically logged me in without me having to do so myself (something I'm aware you are not suggesting that it does), and it indeed didn't auto log me in.

So you definitely have to log in manually. With the setup being as it is, and with by far the heaviest Xbox Live activity happening on Xbox consoles, like the 360 or Xbox One (anyone dispute this?), there's really no sense trying to downplay the numbers by trying to make it appear like Windows 10 PCs account for some significant portion of the 55m. They almost certainly don't. And this doesn't even account for the possibility that if someone is logging into the Xbox App from their PC, they most likely also have an Xbox console.

Actually...I just opened the Xbox app on Windows 10 for the first time and it did, fact, automatically log me in.

BC for 360 on Windows 10 could be pretty big imo. I know I would love it, especially if they would find a way / allow you to increase the resolutions on some of those older games.

How many xbox 360 era games don't have native pc version ? Outside of Microsoft first party almost nothing.

4Tran

$1billion in digital transactions in 3 months? Fuckin hell.
Digital distribution is super important to the big publishers nowadays. I don't think they'd even consider making a game that can't be released that way any more.

You need a Microsoft account to access Solitaire because it's now part of the Windows 10 Store. And it serves ads unless you pay to get rid of them.

Lord of the Fallen $3.99 in a time not in Black Friday or in steam's case winter sale, or summer.

Are we comparing just every day deals along with some flash sales and other specials or are we comparing summer and winter sales? If so Live and PSN don't really compare IMO.

How many xbox 360 era games don't have native pc version ? Outside of Microsoft first party almost nothing.

Off the top of my head a few of the big ones are Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Lost Odyssey.

Not to mention why are we suddenly pretending like having BC on 1st party games isn't a big deal? People have been asking for Halo on PC for years

I hope the powers that be put more emphasis and resources towards making the Windows 10 store a fucking utopia.

DLMN8TR works on the MS Store right? What's the latest man? Are the download issues and discoverability getting sorted soon? I don't game on PC much so I'm not really vested in that beyond hoping for the best for PC-GAF.

I think you're right, though can't remember the last time I saw him popped in the a thread.

So they are selling lest consoles at a lower price... but the attach rate is very healthy. That is not a bad place to be in. Attach rate is what will ultimately determine success.

This. Attach rates is much more important than just having higher console sales.

I wonder what the attach rate is for PS4?

see5harp

Come on dude most of those games I've gotten in years past in humble bundles.

Actually...I just opened the Xbox app on Windows 10 for the first time and it did, fact, automatically log me in.

It didn't do that for me at all. It found my old xbox live account, since my login account for windows isn't the same as my main xbox live account, but it still requested that I log in manually. It only found the record of my account and showed me the gamerpic, but it didn't auto log me in.

see5harp

It probably does if you have logged into windows 10 using the same windows Id that is connected to your live account. I know that regular ass people like my parents and my brother have never once even seen the Xbox app nor browsed the App Store.

Papacheeks

Banned
Are we comparing just every day deals along with some flash sales and other specials or are we comparing summer and winter sales? If so Live and PSN don't really compare IMO.

Flash sales are not every day deals they do them each month regularly, and the prices of AAA games go on sale on PSN just as much as they do on steam in the off months.

That's my whole point, they are doing a really competitive job on PSN and haven't been around nearly as long as steam. And my whole point before derailing was they do sales more often than xbox live, and usually at cheaper prices because of Plus.

Toki767

Flash sales are not every day deals they do them each month regularly, and the prices of AAA games go on sale on PSN just as much as they do on steam in the off months.

That's my whole point, they are doing a really competitive job on PSN and haven't been around nearly as long as steam. And my whole point before derailing was they do sales more often than xbox live, and usually at cheaper prices because of Plus.

I don't think that's completely fair to say. Xbox Live does weekly sales as well, it's just that they don't attach special names to them the way PSN does most of the time.

Stop talking about things you dont know.On W10 xbox app is already inside system even average people who downloaded any demo and never signed off counts as online acvitiy.

nice numbers to show MS but those mean nothing
That's why they say monthly users, that numbers go up and down the whole year during usage. Obviously more usage during holidays.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think that's completely fair to say. Xbox Live does weekly sales as well, it's just that they don't attach special names to them the way PSN does most of the time.

Difference is you have to have Gold to get games like titanfall on sale for 50% off.

PSN you don't, you just get an added discount on top if it's stack-able for that sale, or is a PS+ inspired sale.

The last one from this past week were regular sales, and I dont have plus but could get Tomb Raider Definitive, and Bataman Arkham Knight for $4.99.

Here's just plain game deals right now on xbox without needing live.

Obviously they have bigger sales that dont require live, but I see more on PSN especially on threads here than I do Microsoft.

see5harp

So you got Batman Arkham Knight for less than 4.99 through humble bundle?

And got The witcher 3 2 years ago for 24.99 through humble bundle?

Obviously there are one off deals that are great. Look at that list of games under $5. I did get Witcher 3 on PC during a sale for somewhere around $30. Steam is consistently the cheapest place to buy games and thinking otherwise is suspect to me. That's not even taking in consideration places like CD keys where you can buy keys for close to half off on the day of release.

Top Bottom