• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts FY2017 Q2 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 55m (up 14,5%) Gaming revenue $3.595bn

opricnik

Banned
I'm part of the minority that prefers the Xbox App vastly over Steams layout. I also buy MS games digitally so it would be cool to be able to play all those exclusives at 1080p (if they allowed this) on my PC that are nowhere near Steam.

Being able to play all those older Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable etc. titles again but in higher resolutions would be amazing.

"it would be pretty big"
"im part of minority that prefers"
I honestly dont understand what you just said.

"it would be pretty big"
"im part of minority that prefers"
I honestly dont understand what you just said.

I'm saying I'm in the minority who prefers the Xbox App over Steam.

I'm not in the minority of people wanting Red Dead Redemption or all the Halo games on PC. Those would be big, straight up.

Do people even know why they're mocking MAU anymore or is it just like a running joke thing now?

500,000 active users actively subscribed and engaging in content vs 500,000 boxes sold and just sitting there

Please tell me which is more profitable, if you chose the latter you've got no idea about business. Its not even a Microsoft thing, friggin tons of tech businesses measure their profitability by daily/monthly users.

That would only work if they gave MAU of their xbox consoles.

Since they are joining people who have consoles (who can buy all their stuff on xbox), who used windows 10 (who can at best best buy all first party games in a year) and people who use windows phone (who again buy differently) it's useless metric.

Considering we don't even have clear definition what is MAU for Microsoft then the intent is clear to obscure bad sales numbers.

MilkyJoe

<3

all love in 2017 pls.

giphy.gif

JaffeLion

Banned
?

Price of the console went down, it's a brand new model with the supposedly critical UHD drive support, and the hardware volume is down.

?

- first holiday season without Xbox 360 hardware sales

So, this doesn't mean that the new model did not sell well. AFAIK it sold actually pretty good, especially in the US, where it led the sales for a few months.

Tycho_b

Considering we don't even have clear definition what is MAU for Microsoft then the intent is clear to obscure bad sales numbers.

And it's more internal-facing metric. However they may have a point that MAUs drive turnover. If so the real measure we should be using is average turnover generated by single MAU - easy to calculate I think, we have turnover and we have MAU numbers.

BTW here is the More Personal Computing Revenue Breakdown

Total Revenue $11.823bn

Windows ~ $5.151bn (most inaccurate one)

Gaming 3.595bn
Gaming Hardware ~$1.45bn (rough estimate)
Gaming S&S ~2.15bn (rough estimate)

Devices ~1.697bn
Surface 1.321bn
Phone ~0.206bn
Other ~0.170bn

Bing ~1.652bn

Total Operating Income $2.499bn

If you want to estimate the gross margin for each subsegment, you can have a look at other industry competitor and have a good understanding.
This also shows, how Pc peripherals could not be a big contributor to the operating income, as the total revenue is just 170m.

Is Minecraft included in the 3 billion revenue?
yes, ofc minecraft revenue is included in the 3.595bn gaming revenue

Yay. I turned my Xbox 360 on once last year, maybe twice, to update the OS for my nephew to play Minecraft and I'm counted as a MAU!

SWEET!

What a useful metric.

Outrun

Yay. I turned my Xbox 360 on once last year, maybe twice, to update the OS for my nephew to play Minecraft and I'm counted as a MAU!

SWEET!

What a useful metric.

It does not need to work for you.

It needs to work for them and their shareholders.

And it does.

Somnia

SWEET!

What a useful metric.

These numbers are also just for that quarter, so if you didn't turn it on in that quarter you don't count, sorry.

MisterR

Lil' bit shocked to see how few posts are in this "good MS news" thread compared to last month's NPD thread.

Is this actually "good MS news"? We actually have no idea. That's the main reason there are a lot less responses. All the interesting info is obfuscated by putting xbox in with other divisions. MAU's are gold and silver, Windows 10, mobile, xbox 360 and xbox one. We have no idea how many of these are paying customers. It's hard to have a 30 page thread on stuff that is largely meaningless.

Outrun

It's important to never let us forget that you feel persecuted here on GAF.

You walk a difficult road, my son.

Well, when you have a 100 page thread for the cancellation of a game, and only had a 20 page announcement thread, it is easy to feel frustrated with the amount of MS-shitting.

GAF is not a hive mind. That is undeniable. Elements within gaf do like to stir shit up however.

viHuGi

Banned
Surface and Phone are lost causes, surface is down despite prices being huge on their surface line damn, iPad pro eating sales right there, also phones are doa.

Gaming division is fine though!

Also Bing doing better than expected no???

Also damn Cloud is going great!

gtj1092

That digital + software revenue in comparison to hardware slightly slowing is exactly an example of why MS is so focused on turning Xbox into a service based model where you can play content on a variety of devices (Console, PC, etc.)

In the future MS is going to care much more about how much digital revenue and subs they can get, they don't really care where you play them.

Well they need to sell hardware to sell subscriptions because xb1 owners are the only ones who have to pay for live.

I would be curious to see the sales breakdown between digital game sales and live sub fees in that digital chart. I know Sony's digital sales shot up this generation but alot of that is simply PS+ subs.

Outrun

Well they need to sell hardware to sell subscriptions because xb1 owners are the only ones who have to pay for live.

I would be curious to see the sales breakdown between digital game sales and live sub fees in that digital chart. I know Sony's digital sales shot up this generation but alot of that is simply PS+ subs.

Hence, the Scorpio.

Surface and Phone are lost causes, surface is down despite prices being huge on their surface line damn, iPad pro eating sales right there, also phones are doa.

Phones, yes
Surface no, because there was just no new Surface Pro 5 this quarter to drive sales.
last year Surface Pro 4 was released ;)

Gaming segment is doing great.
just a little comparison: Microsofts non hardware gaming revenue (excluding controller) this holiday quarter was ~ $2.15bn.
Sony non hardware gaming revenue (including controller) last holiday quarter was ~ $2bn.

Bing revenue roughly doubled the last 5 quarter

Blanquito

There's not a lot of posts because there's not a lot to discuss since numbers are hidden or obfuscated.

Same reason why NPD threads have really died off, even during the months that Xbox won. It's hard to have a discussion when all you can really do is speculate or guess what the actual gaming related numbers are.

Man, across all platforms, there are a fucking LOT of folks playing games online. Like, holy shit. There aren't nearly as many people watching movies at any given time as there are people playing games. Games are fucking hot.

There's not a lot of posts because there's not a lot to discuss since numbers are hidden or obfuscated.

Same reason why NPD threads have really died off, even during the months that Xbox won. It's hard to have a discussion when all you can really do is speculate or guess what the actual gaming related numbers are.

i posted a shit ton of numbers here in the topic
and also npd is providing even more information now, than before

majority of gaf tho, just care for unit sales numbers and nothing else or stuff they can use for console wars like platform splits. that is the reason, why these topics went quite.

mejin

True.

And people are just waiting for Sony. lol

Gestault

SWEET!

What a useful metric.

I don't know if your one or two uses per year figured into raising a measure of monthly active users.

It's a metric that's useful for them and makes sense for a service focus. It doesn't need to be useful to you.

ElNino

Huh, Surface is doing fine. Surface is down because there wasn't a new model this year. I would presume that when the Pro 5 and/or Book 2 come out that they will pick up again.

As for the iPad Pro, I don't see that eating into Surface sales at all, and I say that as someone who owns a Surface Pro, Book, MBP and iPad Pro.

Blanquito

majority of gaf tho, just care for unit sales numbers and nothing else or stuff they can use for console wars like platform splits. that is the reason, why these topics went quite.

You posted, by your own words, "very rough estimates". People can talk about whether they agree or disagree with your very rough estimates, but that's usually all that can really happen because maybe my estimate says they're up YoY but yours may say they're down YoY, and there's not much else we can talk about since neither of us are sure.

Also, I'm curious as to why you think NPD is releasing MORE infirmation. By all accounts we're getting less information, and the information we are getting is now in a different format. But I'm open to being shown I'm wrong on that front.

Nzyme32

Surface is unlikely to be a "lost cause". No new model and people waiting for the next model is the highly likely reason for Surface slowing down. I know I am one of the people eager to grab the upcoming version when that gets announced and released. Lots of competing devices easily trump the current surface offering because they are over a year old

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Surface is unlikely to be a "lost cause". No new model and people waiting for the next model is the highly likely reason for Surface slowing down. I know I am one of the people eager to grab the upcoming version when that gets announced and released. Lots of competing devices easily trump the current surface offering because they are over a year old

But Xbox play anywhere titles are not playable in surface, weird

cakely

You may have posted "a shit ton of numbers" but clearly, MAU and revenue are demonstrably not as interesting to GAF as sales figures.

Don't blame your audience for lack of interest, blame your content.

viHuGi

Banned
Phones, yes
Surface no, because there was just no new Surface Pro 5 this quarter to drive sales.
last year Surface Pro 4 was released ;)

Gaming segment is doing great.
just a little comparison: Microsofts non hardware gaming revenue (excluding controller) this holiday quarter was ~ $2.15bn.
Sony non hardware gaming revenue (including controller) last holiday quarter was ~ $2bn.

Bing revenue roughly doubled the last 5 quarter

Not really fair to compare a non holiday quarter vs holiday quarter, either way lovely numbers.

Zedox

But Xbox play anywhere titles are not playable in surface, weird

They are playable but not good (at all and that's if you have a top of the line Surface product). Surface products weren't made for gaming (especially PC Gaming), besides the "Surface Book with Performance Base" and that's a highly expensive model. You won't see that in droves.

Blanquito

They are playable but not good (at all and that's if you have a top of the line Surface product). Surface products weren't made for gaming (especially PC Gaming), besides the "Surface Book with Performance Base" and that's a highly expensive model. You won't see that in droves.

I've been curious as to how that one performs. Have you seen any benches or anything?

You posted, by your own words, "very rough estimates". People can talk about whether they agree or disagree with your very rough estimates, but that's usually all that can really happen because maybe my estimate says they're up YoY but yours may say they're down YoY, and there's not much else we can talk about since neither of us are sure.

Also, I'm curious as to why you think NPD is releasing MORE infirmation. By all accounts we're getting less information, and the information we are getting is now in a different format. But I'm open to being shown I'm wrong on that front.

because Microsoft only provides full digit % numbers in SEC fillings
when something changed "112m or 3%", that numbers could be 112m or 2.7% exactly
that is, why i have to give ~ numbers.
The bigger the %change, the more accurate is the total number

does not make the numbers incorrect or something you can agree or disagree with.
if the number is 100 million less ore more, that does not really change anything major. that's the point. and i don't want to be deceptive, so i tell wich numbers are more or less accurate. all numbers without ~ are directly provided by Microsoft and don't require math to get them.

and in NPD topics we also often use rounded and roughly numbers, because not many people like to leak exact data.

we now have 2 different reports
the old classic physical retail only unit numbers report
and the rankings including digital provided by NPD
we also now got separate platform rankings beside the combined rankings

what did we lost? just the physical retail only units ranking provided by NPD.
but that numbers also could still get leaked, those numbers are not gone. Aquamarine did it until October

Not really fair to compare a non holiday quarter vs holiday quarter, either way lovely numbers.
that comparison is holiday quarter vs holiday quarter

this holiday quarter for microsoft, vs last holiday quarter for sony.
we need to wait 1 more week for sony to report the numbers for this holiday quarter

but yeah, it's not totally fair, because it's 2016 for MS and 2015 for Sony
we can compare Holiday 2015 vs Holiday 2015, tho
Sony ~2bn
MS ~1.82bn

Top Bottom