• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miley Cyrus' album sales slide down the pole: Tween fans think she is too "grown up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

XiaNaphryz said:
2ecm1rp.jpg

bi2kuw.jpg
lemur.gif

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
so many people out there talking about how they hate boy bands or the way "emos" and "hipsters" dress.
Its like kicking a puppy. Its like being angry at someone for liking celery.
Must be a real fucking treat to be around someone who even has a strong opinion about such shit.:lol

G-Fex

Staccat0 said:
so many people out there talking about how they hate boy bands or the way "emos" and "hipsters" dress.
Must be a real fucking treat to be around someone who even has a strong opinion about such shit.:lol

I'm with you I don't care. Let them do what they want.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
G-Fex said:
I'm with you I don't care. Let them do what they want.
To be fair, I live in hipster mecca. If I couldn't tolerate it I would have to move or something
Still, I didn't grow up here. Being angry at the way another person dresses always just makes you seem jealous or something IMO.

As the father of a 7 year old girl, who loves Hannah Montana, I took one look at the "Can't be tamed" video and said "nope". My daughter won't be owning that CD, watching that video, or attending any concerts for this new Miley, which is a little sad since she is a huge fan.

The bad sales on the cd could be attributed to the loss of her young audience. I buy Cds for my daughter for the artists she likes (yep, Selena Gomez, Demi Lavato, ect). Older people download everything, and usually expect to be downloading it for free.

I could care less if Miley wants to be all grown up now. All that bothers me is the release of this new "adult" cd is timed to the new season of Hannah Montana. If you are such an adult who must leave your Disney image behind, don't continue making your Disney show while releasing videos where you are a giant sex bird who humps other women.

I just saw the "Can't be tamed" video... just wow. Awful stuff. It would have been better if she was a few years older and actually had some vocal talent.

Anyway, Miley screwed up by being impatient. This should have been her "tease" phase like the early years of Britney Spears. Be flirtatious with a scent of sexuality but on the whole maintain the innocence.

Wearing a leather dominatrix outfit and rubbing suggestively against other guys & girls is just over the top for her age. I wouldn't even call it jail bait. It just comes off as silly and creepy like seeing your 13 year-old sister wear a thong.

But both her and her father seem like opportunist and instead of good business people. Miley is certainly heading down the path of the wild side and the father is looking to cash in at every turn regardless of long term consequences.

Truth is though, Miley isn't a talented artist. At least not from what she's shown so far. If she wants to compete in the Adult market, she hasn't really shown anything that would make her stand out among the other female pop stars. She probably should have taken a couple of years off to develop her own unique style and sound.

Mau ®

Its weird how as the quality of her albums improve her sales slide lol.

"Cant Be Tamed" is an awesome video but I can see how someone would be turned off by it. There are better single choices in the album but I guess they wanted to go for the shock factor.

I think she can recover. She should work with Dr. Luke again. That guy shits hits.

Poyunch

inthezone said:
Its weird how as the quality of her albums improve her sales slide lol.

"Cant Be Tamed" is an awesome video but I can see how someone would be turned off by it. There are better single choices in the album but I guess they wanted to go for the shock factor.

I think she can recover. She should work with Dr. Luke again. That guy shits hits.
You have to remember the audience they're aiming for. There's a number of reasons why the parents of the focal audience would be turned off by it and thus would not allow their children to be part of such a thing.

DiscoJer

Staccat0 said:

This has been going since I guess at least Frank Sinatra. Maybe earlier.

But every generation of them just gets, well, lamer and lamer.

Sinatra
Elvis
The Beatles
The Village People
New Kids on the Block
Back Street Boys
The ones in this thread

Probably everyone thinks their "own" version is the best. I know I certainly think this bunch is the coolest

VillagePeople.jpg

Certainly the best dressers anyway. (Except Frank Sinatra)

AFreak

Banned
DiscoJer said:
This has been going since I guess at least Frank Sinatra. Maybe earlier.

But every generation of them just gets, well, lamer and lamer.

Sinatra
Elvis
The Beatles
The Village People
New Kids on the Block
Back Street Boys
The ones in this thread

Probably everyone thinks their "own" version is the best. I know I certainly think this bunch is the coolest

VillagePeople.jpg

Certainly the best dressers anyway. (Except Frank Sinatra)

That cowboy looks like the lead singer of The Killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom