• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge E3 2015 Trailer, Releasing February 23rd, 2016 [Up: Info]

why do they think people will care about whatever shitty story they come up with. just give the people the parkour and pretty visuals they came for.

Sigh. Can't we just have an actual gameplay trailer? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make this game look amazing. Instead we get an 'in engine' trailer, which is starting to become almost as useless as CGI trailers.

Amir0x

Banned
why do they think people will care about whatever shitty story they come up with. just give the people the parkour and pretty visuals they came for.

I mean, I'm sure most won't care, but what would most say if it was just a blank slate parkour game in which there was no single player game with any story at all?

Right, we'd have a GAF thread saying Mirror's Edge Catalyst should really be $29.99 and who does DICE think they're kidding and blah blah blah

Don't get me wrong I'd be fully on board since Time Trial's Mirror's Edge is the only true Mirror's Edge and I'd pay $59.99 for that alone plus virtually every videogame storyline is atrocious, but you know how it goes! Bulletpoints!

I mean, I'm sure most won't care, but what would most say if it was just a blank slate parkour game in which there was no single player game with any story at all?

Right, we'd have a GAF thread saying Mirror's Edge Catalyst should really be $29.99 and who does DICE think they're kidding and blah blah blah

Don't get me wrong I'd be fully on board since Time Trial's Mirror's Edge is the only true Mirror's Edge and I'd pay $59.99 for that alone plus virtually every videogame storyline is atrocious, but you know how it goes! Bulletpoints!

True :(

I just hope it doesn't intrude on the gameplay. There better be no fucking slow walking, QTE, scripted bullshit messing up what should be a speedy and freeflowing game. Oh and skippable cutscenes.

Kinsei

Banned
True :(

I just hope it doesn't intrude on the gameplay. There better be no fucking slow walking, QTE, scripted bullshit messing up what should be a speedy and freeflowing game. Oh and skippable cutscenes.

There will probably be QTEs since they were in the first game.

Mato

Absolutely beautiful. Don't know how good the game will be. But that video is aesthetically ace. It would be stunning to play this with VR. Very commendable work, good job Dice.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm cautiously optimistic, and I say that as a very wary fan of the original game. I liked what I saw in the trailer and if they are going to go this route, at least they appear to have maintained the spirit of ME.

Ran rp

Not too worried about it being open world. All they really need to do is stitch together a bunch of well designed sections and make it an "open city". Think of all the levels of the OG game with areas that connect them all together. I dunno if they're going to do that but Bloodborne has made me a believer in large, well designed worlds.

Mman235

I wasn't sure when it was just a rumour, but Dying Light has given me a lot of hope for open-world; that game's platforming isn't as deep as Mirror's Edge (or at least as deep as it should be if they haven't dumbed it down), but it showed me that open-world ME inspired platforming can work and make navigation and exploration of an open-world much more enjoyable.

Maybe I misheard it, but hearing that people can apparently play the game at E3 is the megaton though. Hopefully there's some people who know the first game inside-out who can cover the more subtle differences in this game.

Straight into my veins. They can still do time trials and all that with checkpoints in the open world and such.

The original was one of my favorite games of last gen. Can't wait. Even though I just bought a 970 I might upgrade to get the best experience.

Tuck

Probably my most hyped game, surpassing MGS 5. Never thought we would get this. I'm so happy that out of my personal big three (ME2, BG&E2, TLG), at least one of them will see the light of day.

A-V-B

What I want to know: Is Solar Fields involved?

Mirror's Edge without Solar Fields is like Silent Hill without Akira Yamaoka.

As someone who has listened to the Mirror's Edge soundtrack way too many times, the score at the end of the trailer sounds like Solar Fields to me. Let's hope.

I also have concerns about an open world.

Also, those preorder bonuses.... I really I hope I don't have to unlock an abilities in this game. Hard to tell from that description.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man I am so tired of random matrix/tansformers sounds in movie and game trailers.

I love the look of this, though. Frostbite 3 is such a beautiful engine.

Wiktor

It looks great, but the colors seems off. It looks much more down to earth and realistic than the first one, which is a shame.

Still hyped as hell though.

DOWN

Banned
Frostbite is a masterwork. It's tools have totally made CGI obsolete at EA, and now that we've seen Battlefront look stunning even on PS4 real time, we can have more faith that it really delivers the visuals when it goes current gen exclusively.

AniHawk

i am actually looking forward to an open-world game. a giant platforming playground is something that i wanted out of the first game (and i am so happy i got what i got instead). i'll always have mirror's edge though, so i'm interested in seeing what i can get with this too.

Johndoey

Banned
Somebody probably mentioned it but the fact that her hair partially obscures one eye is super dumb for the type of work this character does.

As someone who has listened to the Mirror's Edge soundtrack way too many times, the score at the end of the trailer sounds like Solar Fields to me. Let's hope.

Solar Fields or riot!

Seriously, the soundtrack made the atmosphere in the game unbelievable. Walking up to the shard in that lst level would not be the same. Nor would the Boat level, nor Kate. (yes I've listened to the OST way too much too).

Ambient music made the first game for me. I hope hope hope Solar Fields is returning.

Damerman

just saw the EA press conference and learned that this is open world free-roam!!!!

YES!!!! YES!!! YESS!!!! NINTENDO 64!!!!!!(literally pumping my fists as she was talking about the game)

this is what i've always wanted!!!! fuck yes!

this game is second to Horizon for game of show for me, tomb raider moved to third place.

this announcement made me so happy!i can't fucking wait to emerge from the solitude of alleyways and rooftops to population dense areas...and that sweet sweet mirror's edge music... fuck. I remember being slightly disappointed with ME1, and now it sounds like they are making the game i always wanted out of ME1.

Solar Fields or riot!

Seriously, the soundtrack made the atmosphere in the game unbelievable. Walking up to the shard in that lst level would not be the same. Nor would the Boat level, nor Kate. (yes I've listened to the OST way too much too).

Ambient music made the first game for me. I hope hope hope Solar Fields is returning.

The game and the soundtrack from the first one played off each other beautifully. Without it I don't think the visceral feeling would have been there. It sounds like the new soundtrack is going to capture that same feeling.

Zambayoshi

I'm hoping that they'll keep the origin story about Faith and her sister, and Faith's encounter with Merc, but it sounds as if they might be changing it, what with referencing a "choice" that changes her life. I can't remember such a "choice" being referenced in the first game.

Blizzard

Banned
i enjoyed them in the last game as well, and i hear they are back for this game. not really a big loss tbh.
Time trials were one of the most unique and replayable aspects about the game, and really highlighted combat-free movement. I love Mirror's Edge but I think it would be hurt without time trials.

Cautiously optimistic with this one as though I prefer the linearity of the first game, open world will be interesting.

On the other hand, I miss the art style from the original game - the sterility of the world was perfect in my eyes.

As for the soundtrack, please let Solar Fields come back as I can't really imagine anyone else doing the music. Hell, I just redownloaded the OST (and Still Alive album) back onto my phone to listen to it all over again.

Not really sure why people are worried about the open-world aspect -- nothing about having a traversable game world keeps them from having interestingly designed areas and timed challenges. The movement systems of the first game really seemed like they'd be extremely enjoyable to explore in an open, multi-path environment, so I'm excited.

Ashes

Banned
I really like a narrative to get me through the experience. Show me the best bits and let other people explore how many locked doors there are. :p

Parkour is usually about perfecting short sequences, so I don't know how well a bigger park would work.

Top Bottom