• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 TGS 2012 trailer

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Thanks!

I don't thnk voice-chat is possible, but a virtual on screen keyboard is a must, custom preset messages as well.

I personally don't think it's a virtual keyboard. That'd be way too unwieldy to use in the game, especially since the overall speed has increased, so there's less time to type out messages IMO.

Zenaku

Even if the game can't support voice chat while playing, they could enable it before a quest, so you can discuss beforehand and decide who does what.

Zornica

Banned
I think it's pretty save to assume that it will support voice chat. even heroes of ruin did it.
using the built in mic isn't rocket science after all.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Can anyone make a list of whats new in MH4? Last one I played was Portable3rd.

Kyoufu

Except for bowguns/arrows.

Lance and pole are the only two weapons which you are able to perform a jumping attack from the ground whereas the rest you need to jump off higher ground.

Looks like I'm going to use Lance and Pole mainly.
3AQmK.gif

Nintendo seriously needs to release apps for popular services, like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook etc. That Nintendo Video Channel is really embarassing. It took a while before the Vita got a Youtube app, but better late than never.

I don't really care about those apps on the 3DS (I have a smartphone, Vita etc) but there needs to be a way to transfer the screenshots to at least a computer. Can the 3DS already connected to a computer? I don't own one so I know nothing about it.

It's also a shame there is no video out port. Would have been nice to stream gameplay. :/

gogogow

I don't really care about those apps on the 3DS (I have a smartphone, Vita etc) but there needs to be a way to transfer the screenshots to at least a computer. Can the 3DS already connected to a computer? I don't own one so I know nothing about it.

It's also a shame there is no video out port. Would have been nice to stream gameplay. :/

I don't care about Twitter and Facebook. I have a smartphone too, but Youtube 3D could be pretty cool. It's meant to replace the embarassing Nintendo Video Channel or whatever it's called (haven't touched my 3DS for quite a while, waiting for MH3G) with it's forced video content. And people could say the same thing about Vita, I don't care because I have this and that, but still Sony released a Youtube app. Every mobile device nowadays can connect to the internet and watch videos, it's just weird there's nothing on the 3DS, hell, even TV's have Youtube, Skype, Facebook, Twitter apps etc.

askbask

I don't really care about those apps on the 3DS (I have a smartphone, Vita etc) but there needs to be a way to transfer the screenshots to at least a computer.

There is a way to transfer them when there is a possibility of taking them in the first place.

Just insert the SD Card into your computer.

And you can press Home and open the internet browser (even in-game), but currently it's not possible to upload pics directly from Twitter. You'd have to upload to some other site (Twitpic, Imgur, etc), memorize/write down the link, and then post it on Twitter. :p

Oh, and there's a third-party capture card for the 3DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYSBL02U4g

Hobby

Not sure if this is old. Famitsu had an interview yesterday with MH4's producer Ryozou Tsujimoto and director Kaname Fujioka. Main info:

- Response to MH4's demo has been good. Apparently [players] have found it to be natural (as far as the new additions and level design goes).
- Can attack enemies that are clinging to walls and knock them off.
- Weapons feel a bit different from before. Every weapon is available to try in the MH4 demo.
- Targeted a March 2013 release since the beginning of development. The team wanted to release it as soon as possible (not in a negative sense).
- Development is "at the climax of its climax". Development of the action portions is pretty much set in stone.
- Considering a demo.
- Finding it easy to bring back monsters that have kind of been on hold (example they give is Yian Kut-ku) given the large changes mechanically and to the level design.
- Want to add popular monsters to the game if they can.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/22021657.html

I think it's pretty save to assume that it will support voice chat. even heroes of ruin did it.
using the built in mic isn't rocket science after all.

If the game has mic support, all the muddy textures are forgiven. With how much the texture quality had to take a dive, I'm expecting them to go all out with the online suite (could also be because the in-game shader use is ridiculously impressive and the game is essentially open world).

kiri

I managed to play MH4 yesterday and it looks graphically similaqr to tri-G. Implementation of the Circle Pad wasn't worked in yet so I just played via touch screen.
The mechanics are slightly different in regards to moving around with climbing and jumping off levels thrown into the mix.
A manual was provided to me that was fully translated into English, making me feel as though they are already thinking of a Western release.

Any questions? :)

I managed to play MH4 yesterday and it looks graphically similaqr to tri-G. Implementation of the Circle Pad wasn't worked in yet so I just played via touch screen.
The mechanics are slightly different in regards to moving around with climbing and jumping off levels thrown into the mix.
A manual was provided to me that was fully translated into English, making me feel as though they are already thinking of a Western release.

Do the new mechanics feel broken or overpowered?

kiri

The staff looks over-powered but in actual gameplay, deals less damage per-hit, at least, that is how it felt to me. On my second playthrough, I fought and defeated the medium boss using twin blades. They played exactly the same as on triG, except with more animation frames added to charged attacks, thus looking smoother as my character was fighting. Enemy models and animations from what I saw looked identical to those used in triG

However, I watched a livefeed of a multiplayer group fighting Tigrex and the animations and quality of that model looked a lot better than in triG; the face especially was very detailed.

Zornica

Banned

after reading through many mh4 related threads, and all the talk about the game looking aweful I wondered if the trailers that have been released so far are even representative for the actual grafics quality at all. I think it's very questionable to judge a game based on an uprezzed trailer, but in this case it seems more extreme than usual.

so my question is:

Are the trailers in any way representative for what we will be actually seeing on the screen?
I don't have a problem with the textures because I personally think they look much worse on youtube than they would on the 3ds, but I'd like some clarification.
also, do the colors really look that intense on the system? I always imagined they are as saturated as they are because of the cooler screen on the 3ds which could take a lot of the vibrance.

have you tried the bowgun? (there is one in this, right?). if so, is it modular like the Tri original, or simplified like the 3g one?

kiri

after reading through many mh4 related threads, and all the talk about the game looking aweful I wondered if the trailers that have been released so far are even representative for the actual grafics quality at all. I think it's very questionable to judge a game based on an uprezzed trailer, but in this case it seems more extreme than usual.

so my question is:

Are the trailers in any way representative for what we will be actually seeing on the screen?
I don't have a problem with the textures because I personally think they look much worse on youtube than they would on the 3ds, but I'd like some clarification.
also, do the colors really look that intense on the system? I always imagined they are as saturated as they are because of the cooler screen on the 3ds which could take a lot of the vibrance.

have you tried the bowgun? (there is one in this, right?). if so, is it modular like the Tri original, or simplified like the 3g one?

Thank you for the reply; I didn't have time to check out the bowgun, I'm afraid. I went with my girlfriend, so I will ask her which weapon she used. She mostly mains the bowgun though. I'll get back to you on that one.

The trailers are pretty representative of the game so far I feel. The colours are that saturated, however on a screen the size of a 3DS one, jaggies are not so much of an issue and the saturation makes everything pop. Most enviroments so far shown have been desert ones, hence the warm vibe given off so far. I think in the final game, you'll get a lot more variety of colours etc.

Hobby

Japanese are reporting that there is one more new weapon? Dam I missed today's Stage event.
Seems like it, though they didn't announce what sort of weapon it is.

ただ、残念ながら今回は、その存在が明かされただけで、どんな武器なのかは不明。情報が出るまで楽しみに待っていよう。

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/23021693.html

Zenaku

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/23021693.html

Fuck there are new weapon class other than the Bug Pole!!!!!! OMFG!!

Wonderful!

Time for your guesses, people. I'm keeping mine on gauntlets with retractable blades. I can dream.

so my question is:

I'm 100% certain the first trailer was recorded in 3D mode, as the games logo was slightly different to the pre-rendered version, and identical to how it appears in the 3D trailer on the eShop (in which the logo is 3D).

The new trailer looks to be in 3D too, so the actual game will more than likely have anti-aliasing when playing in actual 2D, much like 3G. If anyone who's played it could confirm that it'd be great.

WHAT THE FUCK

This is so much more than what I expected, especially after MH3 (few monsters and weapons).

Handheld games FTW!

New ranged weapon please. Hand cannons! :eek:

Kyoufu

Claw/Fist/Knuckle type weapon would be nice. I always wondered why you couldn't Dragon Punch in Monster Hunter.

Imagine Dante's Cerberus moveset from DMC3! :D

It's probably something else though. Probably ranged weapon.

consoul

Everyone at TGS was super excited about MonHun4 and I'm sure it's going to be huge, but the textures really are awful. Sorry, but they are. They don't just look bad in the trailers, they look bad in 3D on the 3DSLL demo units. Every time I saw it the textures made me cringe. Obviously it's a totally different engine, but it's hard to believe that Capcom, who brought us the beautiful RE:Revelations, now deliver this, which just looks like the Unreal Engine failing to load in the full-res textures. Really disappointing.

Zenaku

Everyone at TGS was super excited about MonHun4 and I'm sure it's going to be huge, but the textures really are awful. Sorry, but they are. They don't just look bad in the trailers, they look bad in 3D on the 3DSLL demo units. Every time I saw it the textures made me cringe. Obviously it's a totally different engine, but it's hard to believe that Capcom, who brought us the beautiful RE:Revelations, now deliver this, which just looks like the Unreal Engine failing to load in the full-res textures. Really disappointing.

Actually, it's the same engine. At least, it's unlikely they could create a better engine than MTFM, and it'd be strange for them to throw away the advancements they made to it over MH3G and Revelations, so it's likely the same engine.

The demo might mention it in the startup, if they show it.

I'm making a version of the 20min video where it's just the gameplay only; cropped to only show the 3DS game window, and cutting out all the speech.

I want to put in some MH music in place of the audio, I was considering using the themes of MH1, 2, and 3, but I'm having trouble finding the theme of MH2, anyone have recommendations of music I can use?

Something that is like 15min long would be perfect.

Here's a teaser of what the video will look like when done and viewed on YouTube:

ibnnQEtNn6BVU6.png

Japan is voting (non-official poll):

Whip: 119 (25.0%)
Knuckle: 82 (17.2%)
Boomerang: 74 (15.5%)
Other: 57 (12.0%)
Scythe: 50 (10.5%)
Gun Hammer: 32 (6.7%)
Pole: 25 (5.3%)
Mace Hammer: 16 (3.4%)
Morning Star: 21 (4.4%)

Whip could be great, but imagine all the friendly fire.

Felyne Postman (Guild Card)

45ywu.jpg

Yan Kut Ku (Teaser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMSPr3VgRI

Capcom TGS DVD

Apparently, Tsujimoto/Fujioka said we can expect many monsters in MH4.

I mostly use hammers and the Alatreon one always saddened me.
I laughed because I thought that was Goa Magara's hammer, but now I see it's just a comparison pic. Phew.

Kacho

Sammy, was it confirmed that there are multiple villages? I saw one on Friday night on the stream and it was like a Dwarven underground village with lava.

Mondriaan

Japan is voting (non-official poll):

Whip: 119 (25.0%)
Knuckle: 82 (17.2%)
Boomerang: 74 (15.5%)
There's apparently a large number of people out there who want a weapon with a shorter range than sword and shield. That's awesome.

The only move you ought to ever need to use is the dragon punch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Whip would look cool but I don't think it would look like it can damage these big thick skin monsters, which are the reason the other weapons are so huge and stuff... Weird that they have morningstar and stuff, since it's included in the hammers as various models look like morningstars. Unless they mean the ball and chain thing, not the mace like thing, then that'd be cool and maybe more fitting than whip. But they didn't vote for it much. Maybe it'd still be too much like hammer. But I guess they do need another blunt weapon as there's only one. Maybe a ranged blunt weapon is possible somehow, to increase both categories' numbers?

Top Bottom