• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 TGS 2012 trailer

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Negative twenty compelling textures, will be lucky to sell 800k, should have been on a system with three sticks, no ad-hoc online play.

Alrus

The only truly awful textures are the vines one during the monkey fight. The rest of the game is actually quite beautiful imo, I love the colors.

I'm really confused about how I feel it looks graphically....

On one hand, the game has a draw distance that is unparalleled on 3DS all while having some of the best shader usage, brilliant colors, and beautiful animation (cloth, hunter movements, monster movements, etc.), but on the other side of this are the HORRENDOUS textures that nearly ruin the entire presentation for me

(I mean jeez,some of the textures really do look like nearly N64)

I don't understand. You probably thought Xenoblade was ugly too, right? Overall aesthetics are more important than hi resolution textures. In an online game I would rather the framerate hold up well during matches as well.

Anyway, here's a visual reminder of what you're comparing the textures in this game with:

ITrei.jpg

DFJO3.jpg

Technically, this shouldn't even be an example since it's obviously emulated. Even still:
Z21f0.jpg

Zenaku

Watching the trailer again...Am I imagining things? The form, and the way they move...is the blue Bow hunter female? I haven't gotten all the armour in 3G, but I can only recall one helm that completely covers the face, and it's always disappointed me that the male hunters have such cool ones.

The screens on that site look really nice.
world_img_04.jpg

This pic reminds me of the path between the Encampment and Gran Soren, in Dragon's Dogma. Looking at it, I imagine my pawn and his "keep an eye to the shadows, master, goblins may await in ambush"; while harpies encirle the treetops littering the path ahead....

I want this game - solely - for rekindling the Dragons Dogma feelings....

fates

surprised (or not, really...) to see a lot of complaints about the visuals. MH has always prospered on handhelds so the graphics are obviously not up to what the consoles will put out. Regardless, I think the MH games have always looked pretty good for their hardware.

In any event, this, like MH3G, willl likely look amazing on the screen. I sure hope that self-shadowing carries because that's what really wowed me with 3G.

Neiteio

Can someone extract the background image of the black dragon seen at the top of the page here? He loads on a separate later from the here that's superimposed over him...

Hiltz

Holy crap, that black monster is badass. It's like something out of Demons Souls. MH4 also appears to have the freakiest looking monster, that monkey thing with the kooky face.

Neiteio

Holy crap, that black monster is badass. It's like something out of Demons Souls. MH4 also appears to have the freakiest looking monster, that monkey thing with the kooky face.
I know, that's why I'm trying to get somebody to extract its picture from the website's World page, lol.

Vaati

Banned
I wonder how accessible it'll be. I tried playing MHFU but it was too much of a pain to learn how to play, especially with the controls, to put much time into it.

Amir0x

Banned
man Capcom is eternally finding ways to keep from making a ground-up HD Monster Hunter engine game, I was hoping with Wii U they'd finally hop that direction. I forgot they announced this for 3DS before

*sigh* I guess I want still :/

edit: yikes at sharpened visuals :<

Nekki

man Capcom is eternally finding ways to keep from making a ground-up HD Monster Hunter engine game, I was hoping with Wii U they'd finally hop that direction. I forgot they announced this for 3DS before

I know what you mean, but in my opinion if a game is fun that's all that matters. MH's graphics are just good enough. Sure i enjoy great graphics, but that doesn't make or break a game for me.

(/trash anecdote) Recently i've been playing X-Com: Ufo Defense and i'm having more fun with that game than with a lot of current-gen games (/trash anecdote)

udivision

I know GAF isn't just one person so this isn't directed at you, but if the mentality that "Everything needs to be AAA (and have a AAA budget)" is being blamed for some of the downfall of the gaming industry, how come we won't let companies practice smarter budgeting? A galaxy-esque NSMB and Pokemon MMO make no financial sense, and maybe it's better to leave well enough alone. It's not always the case, but sometimes ramping up a game's budget with no expectation of increased return isn't a good idea. And sometimes, it can be.

Is that the Wii U version? Finally a good looking MH game?
No. There is no Wii U version announced, and that is what we call, a render.

I know GAF isn't just one person so this isn't directed at you, but if the mentality that "Everything needs to be AAA (and have a AAA budget)" is being blamed for some of the downfall of the gaming industry, how come we won't let companies practice smarter budgeting? A galaxy-esque NSMB and Pokemon MMO make no financial sense, and maybe it's better to leave well enough alone. It's not always the case, but sometimes ramping up a game's budget with no expectation of increased return isn't a good idea. And sometimes, it can be.
But it could be somewhere in the middle. A series that's been going on for 8 year, been on 6+ platforms and barely changed since the PS2 days is kinda of inexcusable.

Obviously. Ignore the 3DS in the top right corner, though.
I did, cause that's obviously not the 3DS version...

Well i can't speak for anyone else but for me personally it's because this is a game that i think would look fucking amazing on a HD console. I don't need every game to be 'AAA' and have huge budgets and amazing graphics. However in a game about fighting huge monsters i think it's pretty appropriate.

This isn't meant as port begging or anything just explaining my feelins on the subject.

EVIL

Is that the Wii U version? Finally a good looking MH game?

oh god I'd wish!

edit: looking again at that render.. Its using game like assets (normal mapped detail for example) if you would build promotion material, you wouldnt normal map those since that takes allot more extra work then simply pose your highresolution sculpted mesh. So it actually could be an ingame version for a more powerfull system then the 3DS.
Same goes for the Characters in those monsterhunter 4 scans we saw a couple of weeks back. much higher resolution meshes with normal maps ready to be used ingame on a more powerfull system.
for example

could also explain the strange sharpening in the 3ds version, since maybe these assets where optimized sharply from around 10.000 triangles to 2000 with much lower rez textures

Kyoufu

Watching those videos and seeing the player use the dpad to control the camera made me cringe. Wouldn't be so bad if it was above the analogue and not below. Definitely getting the Frankenstick XL for this.

Man, there is a massive gulf in this game's visual quality between how it looks on a small screen and on a larger one, especially when compared to other MTF-powered 3DS titles like RE:R and EX Troopers. I guess that's a consequence of the larger, more open environments.

It'll look fine as is at 400x240, but I hope that Capcom at least ups the texture resolution for the inevitable HD version.

Top Bottom