• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moto X |OT| Hello, Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_G

I cannot wait until the wood backs and moto maker are available on Verizon. Until then my HTC Incredible has to hold out a bit longer.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is motorolla still blocking rooting? Getting tired of jumping through hoops that other companies let us access easily.

You will be able to get a "Verizon developer edition" with unlocked bootloader... eventually.

ISOM

You will be able to get a "Verizon developer edition" with unlocked bootloader... eventually.

No one answered my earlier post but im guessing the google play edition of the phone will not come with the customizations?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No one answered my earlier post but im guessing the google play edition of the phone will not come with the customizations?

Nobody knows. At this point I would say probably not, and your best bet might be to try the "GSM Developer Edition"... whenever that comes out, and if it's Moto Maker capable.

SRG01

I'm this close to getting one of the early Moto X releases here in Canada :( I already have a Nexus 4 and don't know how I can justify this purchase.

Unlocked version hasn't been detailed yet. Its going to be fun to watch how people will react to the price we currently do not know.

It also has bands for both att and T-Mobile 3g and LTE.

thespot84

Again with the specs talk, and the "good for $350." The teardown of the S4 says the complete opposite. There's no way the phone could possible retail for $350 (from the Android OT):

If we were to demand moto sell us a phone at 1/2 the price of the flagships, and we assume something like a 2.85x margin (apparently the S4 is ~$225 to build, and retails for $640. I guess most of that is samsungs gigantic marketing budget), prices for the hardware would have to be a mere fraction of what's in the s4.

If we want off contract for $400, since there's a huge $500MM marketing budget, let's assume the same 2.8x margin. That means the total BOM + manufacturing for the motox would be: $400/2.8=$140. That's $85 less, 62% of the costs of the S4, meaning that 'last years parts' have come down 39% in price. That sounds a bit unbelievable.

Consider, further, that there are only 2 parts where Moto made a decision to use 'last year's' instead of top of the line, the screen and the processor. The screen in the S4 was $75, and the processor was $20, $95 dollars between the two. Since most of the other parts are the same or comparable, that means that the MOTO WOULD HAVE TO PAY NEGATIVE $10 FOR THE TWO to get to $140 from $225.

Even if the Screen and Proc savings were as much as HALF (i find that to be unlikely, happy to be proven wrong), that's $47.50 in savings over the S4, a cost of $225-$47.50=$177.50*2.85=$505 retail.

Unless someone shows me otherwise I can't see the justification for the price gripe. Samsung isn't passing shit along to you, the customer, at a 2.85x profit margin (all marketing).

I could make the argument based on these numbers that the moto X at it's current price is actually a FEAT given US vs China labor rates.

Again with the specs talk, and the "good for $350." The teardown of the S4 says the complete opposite. There's no way the phone could possible retail for $350 (from the Android OT):

All of that based on the same 2.8x assumption.

Regardless of the cost to Moto, the consumer should not be paying the same price for a Moto X as people do for an S4.

ShdwDrake

Banned

Regardless of the cost to Moto, the consumer should not be paying the same price for a Moto X as people do for an S4.

But if the phone runs better in real world situations why not? Its worth it imo. And the S4 is super cheap plastic which doesnt seem to be the case with the Moto X.

But if the phone runs better in real world situations why not? Its worth it imo. And the S4 is super cheap plastic which doesnt seem to be the case with the Moto X.

I dunno about the plastic part. They both looked and felt the same time of cheapness to me when I used it. The Moto only seemed more rugged because it was thicker. In fact the Moto looked like it had a cheap gel case on it when I used it, it was only when it's flipped over that it was obvious it was part of the phone.

I also wouldnt say the phone runs better in real world situations. Benchmarks (the complete opposite of real world) had it running faster, but I noticed the Moto opened apps slower than my HTC One when opened side by side. Also bear in mind my One had power saving turned on with my CPU downclocked.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I dunno about the plastic part. They both looked and felt the same time of cheapness to me when I used it. The Moto only seemed more rugged because it was thicker. In fact the Moto looked like it had a cheap gel case on it when I used it, it was only when it's flipped over that it was obvious it was part of the phone.

I also wouldnt say the phone runs better in real world situations. Benchmarks (the complete opposite of real world) had it running faster, but I noticed the Moto opened apps slower than my HTC One when opened side by side. Also bear in mind my One had power saving turned on with my CPU downclocked.

Where did you go to use the phone? I did a training on the phone when the Moto rep came last week and it was definitely snappier than the One and the S4 and had much better build quality. Also the phone is just more comfortable. I have a 4S now and the only reason why is the experience. Not because it does more or less than any other phone. And alot of customers that come in have the same thing. Its a well the S4 is cool but its confusing because there's alotta useless crap on it. The Moto X is just almost the perfect phone.

Talon

Where did you go to use the phone? I did a training on the phone when the Moto rep came last week and it was definitely snappier than the One and the S4 and had much better build quality. Also the phone is just more comfortable. I have a 4S now and the only reason why is the experience. Not because it does more or less than any other phone. And alot of customers that come in have the same thing. Its a well the S4 is cool but its confusing because there's alotta useless crap on it. The Moto X is just almost the perfect phone.
I believe he also works for an operator, and he got to play with a model when the Moto rep came by.

thespot84

Why is samsung entitled to a higher profit margin than moto? What makes samsung's price the 'correct' one?

I've made the value argument below (and it was just made above) but I'm waiting now for someone to justify the value of the S4 to me, since everyone wants to use that as a benchmark, which is why I used it.

I believe he also works for an operator, and he got to play with a model when the Moto rep came by.

Yep, a rep came in. Part training and part hands on use.

I left extremely disappointed with the phone. However I will say that I don't know if his phone was a pre-release build or not. It had a small sticker on the top right of the screen with a serial number on it (not an IMEI), so it's possible.

After using it for a while I could not, under any circumstances, recommend anyone to buy this. Especially when there are cheaper and better phones already out there. It's slightly slower, has a screen thats only "ok", has a dodgy camera (which i'm sure could be fixed with software tbh), looked cheap...and I mean REALLY cheap, and had issues with the voice commands. As far as it being snappier the a One or S4. I cannot agree at all, especially with my (albiet not scientific) side by side comparisons.

Again though, could have been pre-release build.

Edit: I'm not going to post any further in this particular thread about my feelings on the phone, only because this is the official thread and I shouldn't be shitting it up like this. However i'm more than happy to continue the discussion in a different one.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Yep, a rep came in. Part training and part hands on use.

I left extremely disappointed with the phone. However I will say that I don't know if his phone was a pre-release build or not. It had a small sticker on the top right of the screen with a serial number on it (not an IMEI), so it's possible.

After using it for a while I could not, under any circumstances, recommend anyone to buy this. Especially when there are cheaper and better phones already out there. It's slightly slower, has a screen thats only "ok", has a dodgy camera (which i'm sure could be fixed with software tbh), looked cheap...and I mean REALLY cheap, and had issues with the voice commands. As far as it being snappier the a One or S4. I cannot agree at all, especially with my (albiet not scientific) side by side comparisons.

Again though, could have been pre-release build.

Yeah everyone at my store was pretty blown away with the phone. My boss currently has an S4 and is thinking hard about getting the Moto X. So I'm not sure what phone you saw but its lke the opposite of my experience.

northead

Oh, thank god we have an OT now.
I was trying to ask something in the other thread: albeit carrier-locked, why wouldn't the phone work with other GSM carriers' SIMs outside the US, if the frequencies are the same? I don't care about LTE as long as 3G works fine.

Do you think it's possible?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Oh, thank god we have an OT now.
I was trying to ask something in the other thread: albeit carrier-locked, why wouldn't the phone work with other GSM carriers' SIMs outside the US, if the frequencies are the same? I don't care about LTE as long as 3G works fine.

Do you think it's possible?

It should be you would have to get the phone unlocked first tho.

Fatalah

I cannot wait until the wood backs and moto maker are available on Verizon. Until then my HTC Incredible has to hold out a bit longer.

Yay, another original Incredible owner! Can't wait to own a 4G phone!

Still debating the Moto X though...too pricey.

Moff

hmm, this or the nexus 5?
I still have an SGS2 I am very pleased with, but I am ready for something new, no hurry though.

thespot84

For a company that vowed to change the way smartphones are priced, $200 on contract is a complete letdown.

Why not beat the big phone players on price?

Where did moto vow to change the way smartphones are priced? I remember tons of rumors to that effect, but don't remember it ever coming from moto (not saying it didn't happen, I just honestly don't remember)

I get the feeling that a huge part of this was expectations. People loved the ideas that were presented when the phone was in rumor stage ($300 off contract, etc), and when the phone came out that image of the moto X was shattered and replaced by the real one.

I want a $300 off contract phone too, but since i looked at what the bills of materials are like for these things and how much they need to spend on marketing to stay relevant, you'd end up with a flip phone for $300 off contract. Not to mention increasing labor cost to produce in the states (making moto maker possible).

Even to beat the big guys on price would have required a massive sacrifice in terms of specs. I'm talking stuff that actually matters, like screen size, radios, really crappy processors (not just 2 core vs 4). Including a marketing budget I doubt that they could produce, market and retail the original droid for $300. No company is going to go into the red on a product launch with a dilutive product (they lose money every sale) when the marketing costs are amortized in. That's crazy talk.

thespot84

In a May interview with AllThingsD, Motorola's CEO complained about the absurdity of cell phone prices.

You're right, and then he and mossberg went on to specifically exclude the x from that discussion, as mossberg said: "but the x is meant to compete with the iphone and galaxy":

watch at 10 minutes:
http://allthingsd.com/20130529/moto...ttoos-and-taking-big-risks-at-d11-full-video/

I can understand how that led to hype and speculation that the x should be cheap, but I still think those expectations were misplaced and are affecting people's judgments about the phone now.

f0nz0

Man I want this phone,..I got a gs3 on verizon still with unlimited data...but I don't wanna pay full price :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom