• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moto X |OT| Hello, Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

You're right, and then he and mossberg went on to specifically exclude the x from that discussion, as mossberg said: "but the x is meant to compete with the iphone and galaxy":

watch at 10 minutes:
http://allthingsd.com/20130529/moto...ttoos-and-taking-big-risks-at-d11-full-video/

I can understand how that led to hype and speculation that the x should be cheap, but I still think those expectations were misplaced and are affecting people's judgments about the phone now.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Fatalah

(Re-posted from Android-GAF)

Today seems to be the first day of Moto X's huge marketing campaign.

Walking through Penn Station this morning, Moto X ads were spattered across TV screens.

I remembered watching Erin Andrews' energy drink billboard being removed yesterday, so I took a quick detour and LO AND BEHOLD!

iy2dUqn.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Android Central: Moto X review

Android Central said:
Let’s not beat around the bush here. We’re madly in love with the shape of Moto X. We’re in an age of oversized smartphones, with huge displays that were never meant to be one-handed. We're all for more screen real estate, but things quickly got out of control.

So let’s talk battery life. Motorola’s made great strides in this department the past couple years, and that trend continues in Moto X. On paper, it’s got a 2,200 mAh battery, which in and of itself isn’t all that impressive. Consider, though, that the battery, likely sourced from LG Chem, uses a new “stepped” design that allows for a better use of space and thus greater overall capacity — an extra 31 percent additional capacity, actually.

Don't worry that it doesn't max out the spec list. It runs as well as anything else out there —- maybe better, actually, and the battery life claims are largely to be believed. Moto X is beautifully designed. It fits your hand the way a smartphone should, not some shapeless slab that ignored design for thinness. It's a little reminiscent of the HTC One in its curves, but it's more compact and easier to hold.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mReKfvR.png

CWsNNxA.png

diLEJZP.png

JDBVsAN.png

AweWkjs.png

subSIds.png

uvwfKI6.png

This is fun to mess with.

TBH I like the white front faces better. Makes it look lighter and newer.

Ephemeris

I created a gorgeous looking phone as part of a successful EphemerisxMoto collaboration.

PnADkSm.jpg

subSIds.png

This looks like the Fall 2013 EpheXFon™ . It's only haute if you have the black accents, tho.

Shanks

I really love this direction Motorola is taking with the customized Moto X and the near stock version of Android. I hope this phone does well to encourage them to continue down this path.

I just went into an att store to look at this baby and I had was the one telling the sales rep about it. Smh, and they couldn't even sell me one because he thought the phone didn't even come out for a week.

He said he prefered the s4 over everything so he's clearly an idiot.

VoxPop

This phone's been slowly growing on me. The specs are enough to keep me satisfied and the battery sounds great. Would've picked this up in a heartbeat if it was in the N4 or slightly higher price range. But at $600, I couldn't really recommend this everyone.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm heavily considering picking one of these up. My phone is old and I need an upgrade for sure. What is this unloaded and google play version? Anyone mind filling me in? Is it worth waiting for, or can I just sink my teeth into this?

ISOM

I'm heavily considering picking one of these up. My phone is old and I need an upgrade for sure. What is this unloaded and google play version? Anyone mind filling me in? Is it worth waiting for, or can I just sink my teeth into this?

Yeah you can, I don't think there are any differences between the google play version and other versions.

-PXG-

Cross posting from Android OT...

Got my hair cut. There is an AT&T store that is only a few buildings down from the barber shop. I decided to go in and play around with their new toys.

tGgVtHE.jpg

9HEnrda.jpg

ngrenVs.jpg

UNgATRA.jpg

It's much smaller than I though it would be. This is perfect for new folks who think Android devices are too big. I'm totally satisfied with my Galaxy S4, so this is a bit small for my liking. However, the Moto X is a nice entry point for those making the jump from an iPhone or any old phone really. I'm a fan of AOSP based ROMs. This is as pure and legit as it gets, so of course, I felt right at home (I run CM 10.2 on my GS4). The UI was snappy and performance was very smooth. I was under the impression that the Moto X came pre-installed with 4.3, but as the photo shows, that unit was running 4.2.2. Huh....Anyway, the device itself is smooth, light and very comfortable. I think the camera UI is overly minimalistic. You have to really explore it and figure things out. The interface and feature set (for the camera, not overall) feel underdeveloped. As photo IQ itself is serviceable. Nothing special. Since the screen is smaller, I do feel a bit cramped and had a hard time touching the right icons. But that's just me. Again, I'm used to larger phones. Unlike Samsung, though a bit too stiff, Motorola was smart to put the volume and power buttons on the same side. In this case, they're all on the right. As for the Active Notifcations....Well, since it was a demo unit, I couldn't really test it out. Maybe it was due to the lack of actual pending notifications but unlocking the device was annoying. Maybe I'm just hardwired into my own habits but it took me a while to figure out how to bypass the initial notification screen to then be allowed to actually use the unlock icon. It was odd. I don't know.It's a shame that the "woven" back isn't textured. It would have been nice if it was made out of some kind of rubbery bumpy material. It would make it easier to hold, plus it would look and feel cool. Oh well, no big deal.

All in all, it's a solid device, but nothing mind blowing. It's a great phone for those who are new to Android or those who have an outdated device. If you're currently using something from the last 12 months or so, wait for something better. The Moto X is good but not amazing.

mkenyon

Banned
Nope.

I didn't design mine until about 11pm on Friday. Maybe I got my order in towards the end of a big line of orders?

Lets say it was 5 days of processing, then Sep 3rd would be accurate as it's the day after Labor Day.

I'm patient though.

*edit*

By nope, I mean, yes I am in the US.

Kind of debating on this being my next phone. I think my upgrade is due in October. I currently have a Droid 4 (I'm one of those grognards that wants a physical keyboard, but I feel I need to come to terms with the fact that slide out keyboards won't exist anymore). Pretty much only thing I do on my phone is browser, podcasts, and videos, so its not like I need top-end specs.

Ehh, I'll wait for the Sony Xperia Z1 Honami instead.

I'm new to droids, is there a way to replace the UI on a GS4 with one that isn't Samsung? Not a big fan of the blue/green interface.

mkenyon

Banned

I'm new to droids, is there a way to replace the UI on a GS4 with one that isn't Samsung? Not a big fan of the blue/green interface.
1) Droid is a brand of Motorola that is (maybe) becoming defunct.

2) Depends on which GS4 you buy, and the people in the Android thread would be able to give more definite answers.

Alchemy

Spearmint with yellow accents and a black face is pretty sexy...

Pretty interested in picking this up. The voice commands sound sexy for driving. I just want to make sure I get an unlocked and unsubsidized version because I'm done with carrier contracts. Basically I want the Google Play edition with Motomaker and I'm in for a 16GB version.

-PXG-

Custom roms. I have an AT&T GS4. Here are links to all the mods I have installed

ROM - Official CM 10.2 Nightlies
Kernel - KT-SGS4 Jellybean Kernel
Modem - UCUAMF3
JB gapps - 20130813
Launcher - Apex Launcher Pro
Icons - Nox

I have an audio mod too, but that's not so important.

mkenyon

Banned
Just got an email update, looks like my phone is coming tomorrow.

The very same day my home mortgage funds and I get the keys! Good week.

*edit*

Holy crap, it actually comes today.

So I place the order, says delivery date is September 3rd. I get an email update this morning saying it's going to arrive tomorrow. I click on the tracking and it's on the vehicle for deilvery today! It's like every link gave me better news.

DaFish

Just got an email update, looks like my phone is coming tomorrow.

The very same day my home mortgage funds and I get the keys! Good week.

*edit*

Holy crap, it actually comes today.

So I place the order, says delivery date is September 3rd. I get an email update this morning saying it's going to arrive tomorrow. I click on the tracking and it's on the vehicle for deilvery today! It's like every link gave me better news.

you need to go deeper... the phone is already on the charger at your house.

mkenyon

Banned
Between my wife and I, list of Android devices used for 2 weeks or more (we like to try stuff out, and do make returns if it doesn't wow us):

G1, G2, G2X, Galaxy Nexus, Note, Galaxy SII LTE, One X, One, Transformer Prime, Nexus 7 (first one). Most of those were hers, I've only used the G2X and Note as my phones.

With that in mind, initial impressions of the Moto X:

Of course, the physical device is what sticks out first. I actually prefer the materials and build quality above her One, and I'm generally a whore for aluminum. I went with white, spearmint back, and silver accents. I love me some green, and this is flashy while also being soothing. It's not quite as verdant as what the pictures show online, it has a nice pastel component to it. It actually looks really similar to a fluid I used in one of my pc builds, which is called "Mayhem's Pastel Green":

I'll see if I can accurately capture the color in my photo booth at home.

Since I'm coming from a Note, you'd think the screen size would bug me, and it's actually quite nice. Since it lacks any significant bezel, it's a lot easier to simply interact with the phone. I think I mastered the Note, but things like one handed typing were nearly impossible.

I had a pretty bare bones CM ROM on my Note, and it was fairly smooth, but this is like butter. I'd put it on par with my iPod Touch 5th Gen easily.

The thing that I'm totally smitten with is the active notifications. I just hold my thumb down on that icon and it gives me a perfect summary of my notifications without having to turn the screen on. As I initially ordered this on the promise of really good battery life, I'm glad one of the features that makes that battery life possible works perfectly.

It's also really nice booting up a phone and being greeted by a nearly stock experience. Finally.

More impressions to come after I've lived with it for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom