• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mom committed suicide last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry for your loss. That is terrible. There isn't any way anyone can tell you what to expect; everyone grieves differently. I imagine you are still in the shock phase, but please, please don't bottle anything up. Find someone you can talk to and talk about everything you are feeling and work through it.

Mully

God damn man. I don't know what to say. That's really rough. Stay with your family or someone close the next few weeks. Take some time off and work things out.

I asked my stepfather and he said she attempted to sleep by taking an
Ambien yesterday but couldn't sleep and she was feeling just awful. I personally think she took another ambien to fall asleep and it reacted weird with her other medications and she just did it. I don't think she knew what was happening or if she was even in a completely conscious state of mind.

Considering Ambien is known to cause people to do wild things in their sleep, it's possible.

Sorry for your loss man. That cell pic of your text got to me :(

Dmax3901

That text :(

My younger sister has just moved out of home leaving my mum living alone for the first time in many, many years. While she's had no history of depression, I'm gonna give her call.

Sorry for your loss OP.

MYE

And I'm an absolute wreck. From what I've heard today she was on a concoction of Ambient and an anti depressant. My stepdad woke up to a gunshot and my mom had killed herself. This was the last thing I got to say to her.

C9sk4KN.jpg

She killed herself at 12:25.

What am I about to go through GAF? I've never lost a parent or lost a loved one to suicide. Anyone have any personal stories?

:(

I'm sorry man. i know how losing a mother feels like but damn....that text. Chin up man

kms_md

i was in a similar situation with a loved one 2 years ago (the texts are eerily similar). just know that it is not your fault and you did not cause this.

sorry for your loss and your pain.

My god man. I am so sorry for your loss.

As far as those last words to her: That's about as good as it gets. Imagine if you had been in an argument or something.

totowhoa

Banned
Definitely find somebody to talk to about it. If you have insurance, then I would recommend seeing a doctor once a week for a couple of months so you can talk and receive support and advice on dealing with your loss. It can really help in ways you wouldn't expect.

Sorry for your loss, man. It will get easier with time. I'm glad you both loved one another

I am very, very sorry to hear you lost your mother, and to suicide as well.

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds in this thread, but one of my best friends, who I consider a brother, tried to kill himself by shooting himself 3 times a few days before Christmas. He survived and is recovering. But for those first few days when it looked like he might not make it I was in a fog. Christmas was basically going through the motions for me. It was nice to see my family, but it wasn't a joyous time for me. Having that was enough, I'm not sure what would have happened had he died from his injuries.

My condolences man, I'd probably start ripping my hair out in grief or do something else similarly crazy if this happened to me.

I'm the oldest child of 3 ages 21 (me) 19 and 14.

Thank you GAF for your kind condolences. Hug your moms for me.

Be there for your siblings and you can all find solace in each other as well as remember her together. I'm an only child so when my parents go I got no one to really remember them with.

blackflag

I'm 37 and have never lost anyone close to me. I know it's coming and I just gotta brace for it. Condolences man. That is a horrible thing to have to deal with I'm sure. The way it happened, I'm sure, just makes it that much harder.

kirblar

I asked my stepfather and he said she attempted to sleep by taking an
Ambien yesterday but couldn't sleep and she was feeling just awful. I personally think she took another ambien to fall asleep and it reacted weird with her other medications and she just did it. I don't think she knew what was happening or if she was even in a completely conscious state of mind.
That's horrible. :( Ambien has a track record of causing people to do weird things in their sleep. (Just looked up the side effects and immediately found warnings about it causing issues with people with existing depression.)

Plasmid

Be there for your siblings and you can all find solace in each other as well as remember her together. I'm an only child so when my parents go I got no one to really remember them with.

I'm so sorry :(. My other brother is married and farms for our family, my other brother and my mom were strained but they're all just as upset as I am.

someday

Banned
I'm so sorry OP. All I can say is stay close to your siblings and your father. Hopefully you can all grieve and heal together.

Biff

Condolences Plasmid.

If there is anything positive to see from this, I guess you can always live without regrets about the last words you shared though. A lot of people can't say the same thing.

Still, a sad situation and I hope you and your family pull through strong together.

soepje

I´m sorry Plasmid, i don´t know what to say, but i wish you strenght. I can´t imagine losing my mother, let alone the way you did. Please find comfort in her saying she loved you and your siblings, she cared for you all.

whitehawk

Banned
I couldn't even imagine. It's one thing to lose your mother, it's a whole different thing when it's due to suicide. Keep your family super close right now.

Gattsu25

Banned
My condolences man

I can't even begin to comprehend everything you are going through so all I can say is be there for your family. It will be helpful for them and also for you. Also, don't be afraid to show emotion but please think over any actions that would have long term effects.

edit: dojokun brings up a great point: it's perfectly normal to not shed tears in times of earnest grief. It's also perfectly normal to shed what seems like half of your body weight in tears. Everybody reacts differently.

Hale-XF11

So sorry for your loss. :(

I feel as though I've heard one too many bad stories surrounding the use of Ambien. It really bothers me that prescription medication can be so dangerous. I've heard that people can lose complete control of themselves while on that stuff.

spats

I'm so sorry.

My dad passed away a few years ago so I've gone through that pretty recently. I suppose every person has their way of dealing with things like this. You'll pull through though.

keuja

What the... My condolences man :-(

People, keep those fucking guns out of the house or get rid of them dammit.

Mariolee

This is one of the most terrible things that I could ever imagine happening. I'll pray for you and your family, I'm so sorry for your enormous loss. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom