• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Games announces Dark Souls and Armored Core V for NA/Europe [+ Screens]

Canova

Banned
Dark Souls is EPIC!!!!

duckroll, can we split the thread? I don't want to mix up the discussion between the two games, and I'm pretty sure each game has plenty materials and deserves its own thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Dark Souls media looks great and tickles my medieval fantasy interest immensely. I finally finished AC: Brotherhood today (71:59:22 total playtime... :eek:) and at the time I decided I'll blast through Enslaved: Odyssey to the West next (seems to have unexpectedly impressed some GAF'ers), but now I will instead dive into Demon's Souls.

Wish me luck, GAF.

duckroll

miladesn said:
I don't know how to check for Japanese trademarks, I wonder which one filled for it! looks like it's Namco even in Japan going by famitsu?

If a trademark for Dark Souls was filed in Japan, it has not been disclosed yet. I just checked. But Bandai Namco Games did trademark "Dark Rings" last year.

carlo6529

I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls. Gonna have to replay Demon Soul's to get my fix.

Edit~ @ Ccrook post below,

It is still not too late.

duckroll

canova said:
Dark Souls is EPIC!!!!

duckroll, can we split the thread? I don't want to mix up the discussion between the two games, and I'm pretty sure each game has plenty materials and deserves its own thread

There are already separate threads for both games though. This thread is about Namco Bandai Games officially announcing the US/Euro release of the games.

Canova

Banned
rKhLC.jpg

this dragon is a lot bigger than the blue and red dragon

That conquest screen on AC5 looks amazing. This is the kind of thing I have been wanting to happen more often this generation, team based multiplayer matches having an impact on a persistent world. Also a commander mode for this game is genius. I actually can't wait for team based FPS and other multiplayer games to start adding in some roles for people outside the battlefield as well (maybe a multiplayer splinter cell like game where one player is the 'operator' controlling the flow of information to the players to get them where they need to be).

As for Dark Souls: day 1. Glad it's going multiplatform... love me some From Software and they deserve all the sales they can get.

Paracelsus

I wonder if what duckroll posted about "cheap ways around getting removed from the game" involves stuff like killing the king with the death cloud or the dragon on top of the castle with a massive number of white arrows when being far away its attack range. <_<

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dark Souls looks wonderful. It just goes to show what developers can do when they use technology to their advantage artistically.

hteng

Banned
Paracelsus said:
I wonder if what duckroll posted about "cheap ways around getting removed from the game" involves stuff like killing the king with the death cloud or the dragon on top of the castle with a massive number of white arrows when being far away its attack range. <_<

fromsoft already stated there will no cheap tactics, expect to fight them on fair an square... and die lots and lots of times

Kusagari

Paracelsus said:

Probably. There were ways to exploit almost every boss of Demon's Souls. I expect them to fine tune it a lot more.

Canova

Banned
WinFonda said:
Dark Souls color saturation looks gross

I think the color is OK.

I like how From Soft monsters design, from the dragons, penetrator, tower knight, flamelurkers etc. But from images posted we can tell that Dark Souls will have even better design monsters/bosses

ameratsu

While Dark Souls looks incredible, I can think of one problem. Since DS is the acronym for Demon's Souls, we need an acronym other than DS for this game to prevent confusion.

Paracelsus said:
They didn't actually put 'cheap ways' in the first game, people just found them on their own. It will be the same thing next time. People will find work arounds and cuts and glitches and IF it's an issue it might be patched. They could patch all the cheap ways out of the Demon's Souls I suppose but it's not game-breaking and not really worth it.

spidye said:
when is this event?

In a few hours. For those interested, here's what a friend at the event will be seeing:

- Dark Souls
- Knights Contract
- Inversion
- Ace Combat
- Ridge Racer (no clue on what platform)

Canova

Banned
Vinterbird said:
In a few hours. For those interested, here's what a friend at the event will be seeing:

- Dark Souls
- Knights Contract
- Inversion
- Ace Combat

lol, no tales?

those tales fans won't be happy

duckroll

BobTheFork said:
They didn't actually put 'cheap ways' in the first game, people just found them on their own. It will be the same thing next time. People will find work arounds and cuts and glitches and IF it's an issue it might be patched. They could patch all the cheap ways out of the Demon's Souls I suppose but it's not game-breaking really worth it.

This is totally true. The only form of "easy mode" they put in Demon's Souls is the Royal class with Soul Arrow. Since class based character generation is completely gone now, and they specifically said there will be no simple options to lower the difficulty threshold, I think we can expect THAT to be gone. :)

Canova

Banned
Tylahedras said:
DS screens look great! But why aren't my ally phantoms blue?!

Next you'll be telling me invaders aren't red?

nah it don't really matter. I'm pretty sure they have to distiguish between allies and invaders somehow.

those are just too little of things to worry about

duckroll

Tylahedras said:
DS screens look great! But why aren't my ally phantoms blue?!

Next you'll be telling me invaders aren't red?

Maybe they're adding an extra type of phantom to the game? This is just groundless speculation, but maybe white = from friend list, blue = random, red = enemy.

canova said:
lol, no tales?

those tales fans won't be happy

This is what he knows he will be seeing, there could be surprises, or it just isn't there at the event. We'll find out in a few hours anyway.

luffeN

Vinterbird said:

- Dark Souls
- Knights Contract
- Inversion
- Ace Combat
Soulcalibur? :(

edit: ok

Xater

Oh wow the AC5 online really looks like the Chromehounds MP. Finally the mech game I have been waiting for?

wwm0nkey

Xater said:
Oh wow the AC5 online really looks like the Chromehounds MP. Finally the mech game I have been waiting for?
I have really high hopes for it, everything they have said about it so far makes it seem like it will be one of the truly great mech games.

Pooya

Vinterbird said:

- Dark Souls
- Knights Contract
- Inversion
- Ace Combat
where is Tales? xD

Top Bottom