• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Tawpgun

So if I were to get this game as a Christmas gift.... is the online still alive?

I loved NFS Hot Pursuit for the first month when it was playable online....

Xdye7

You can tell which direction the race starts by looking at the meetup text. You should be facing where you can see the text spelled forward.

Was about to post this.

It's also a good idea to get behind everyone before the event so you don't get rear ended just as the event starts. This is especially useful in team races where you can spot the entire opposing team from the get go.

The race starts when the screen turns grey. That's the moment invulnerability is turned off and you can start scoring takedowns and get a headstart. Just don't hit the first checkpoint before the timer hits zero. :p

You can tell which direction the race starts by looking at the meetup text. You should be facing where you can see the text spelled forward.

Alsoooo, the further back you are, the faster you gain nitrous so all is not lost if you get a bad start. If you're way behind it's possible to earn nitrous faster than you can use it.

you can also know where the race will start by watching the cars that get relocated ..relocated cars are always in the right direction....the most difficult part is to avoid getting takedowned at the start when invulnerability is turned off but with a little time you anticipate this properly

Jhoan

So if I were to get this game as a Christmas gift.... is the online still alive?

I loved NFS Hot Pursuit for the first month when it was playable online....

While I haven't played it online yet, I would certainly think so. Especially with the influx of people who no doubt just received it as a gift.

You can always add yourself to the Google spread sheet. I'm on the 360 version myself.

Xdye7

So because the "Super Freak" plate says you need to jump over 'at least' six cars, I'm assuming it's all at once? How the fuck am I supposed to do that in a public game?

Anyone on ps3 wanna party up and do this?

anyone else having issues with the Xbox 360 version? Tried playing last night and it kept asking me to download the update and wouldnt connect to autolog. I tried deleting the update and restarting my xbox and the game a couple times and i kept getting the same stuff, everytime i fired up the game it would keep asking me to download the update even though i already did it. Pretty frustrating, I am in the mood to take a break from Black Ops2 and get back in to this game but I will not play if im not connected to autolog and the update was messing up the MP for me.

I cant find any info or updates on this other then a couple other people on the xbox forums having the same issues. I hope this gets fixed soon, I cant find any good NFS forums either?

came to this thread to mention this exact thing.

i ended up deleting and redownloading the DLC twice before seeing other people were having the same issue. WTF are they doing?

Overall a pretty great game, but man... what is with the cops? First of all they're just way too tenacious right off the bat, outrunning them is way more difficult than in any other similar game, including NFS HP... I don't understand Criterion's logic there. Or am I missing something? I just basically let myself get busted all the time in easy drive, cuz there doesn't seem to be any advantage (or fun) in losing them).

But second, and much more important, WHY do event pursuits carry over in to easy drive pursuits? That shit should get cancelled. It's super obnoxious to work hard at an event, only to get beat to shit by the cops afterwards in easy drive.

Anybody else have this issue?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Overall a pretty great game, but man... what is with the cops? First of all they're just way too tenacious right off the bat, outrunning them is way more difficult than in any other similar game, including NFS HP... I don't understand Criterion's logic there. Or am I missing something? I just basically let myself get busted all the time in easy drive, cuz there doesn't seem to be any advantage (or fun) in losing them).

But second, and much more important, WHY do event pursuits carry over in to easy drive pursuits? That shit should get cancelled. It's super obnoxious to work hard at an event, only to get beat to shit by the cops afterwards in easy drive.

Almost every time I finish an event with cops still on my ass, they're lost within about 10 to 15 seconds. I think they lay it on thick in the race then after they make the cops ease off.

I've never had an issue with it.

Just jump off a big ramp and then go hide and you should be good.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

god yes this.

Especially those street sprints but the cops seem to slow up after the race. Like they stop trying. I go after whoever is behind me and keep taking them down for the lulz. You get extra bonus points taking the racers down after the event. One time I took a car down so much that it just vanished.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I am super frustrated and feel like I've hit a bug. I'm trying to complete all the single player events. In Driver Details, my stats look like this:

Events Played: 57/61
Events Won: 57/61
Most Wanted Cars Shutdown: 10/10

So okay, I haven't played 4 races, no big deal. I've literally hopped to every single car and made sure I've set a time in every single race.

So then I thought I was crazy and must have missed something. I found a list of all the events in the game, printed it out, and once again hopped to every car to ensure I've set a time in every event. I even wrote down my personal time next to each event just to make sure I didn't miss anything. This list has 51 events and I've done all of them, and I've done all 10 Most Wanted shutdowns as well. That should mean I've done all 61 events, right?

What in the world am I missing? Or am I boned?

Xun

I must admit I'm enjoying Horizon a bit more than this, but it's a great game regardless.

I really do hope Criterion go back to circuit based Burnout games though.

I am super frustrated and feel like I've hit a bug. I'm trying to complete all the single player events. In Driver Details, my stats look like this:

Events Played: 57/61
Events Won: 57/61
Most Wanted Cars Shutdown: 10/10

So okay, I haven't played 4 races, no big deal. I've literally hopped to every single car and made sure I've set a time in every single race.

So then I thought I was crazy and must have missed something. I found a list of all the events in the game, printed it out, and once again hopped to every car to ensure I've set a time in every event. I even wrote down my personal time next to each event just to make sure I didn't miss anything. This list has 51 events and I've done all of them, and I've done all 10 Most Wanted shutdowns as well. That should mean I've done all 61 events, right?

What in the world am I missing? Or am I boned?

Do you have to get gold in every event? I thought so.

Jhoan

came to this thread to mention this exact thing.

i ended up deleting and redownloading the DLC twice before seeing other people were having the same issue. WTF are they doing?
360 player too; I downloaded the update and still get the message too. I ignore it but it is getting annoying.

I have to agree, the cops are a massive pain in the ass to avoid as opposed to EA Black Box's NFS: MW. Especially on Pursuit challenges that go on for 3-15 minutes with maximum Wanted level. I've never been able to shake them off nor win those events as a result. I think this needs to be patched up so that they're easier to avoid.

Otherwise, they're easy to avoid after winning a race, but I agree it's annoying. Heck, what I find even more stupid is that you'll get the cops' attention if you do a donut for about 3 minutes.
I must admit I'm enjoying Horizon a bit more to this, but it's a great game regardless.

I really do hope Criterion go back to circuit based Burnout games though.
I have to agree. This game is really tense; I wish there was an option to turn off the cops/ the Wanted level when you just want to cruise around the city hunting down billboards, Jack Spots, and doing Speed Traps.

Forza Horizon on the hand is very laid back especially since it has no cops. The in-car camera view is also pretty and it's easily my favorite thing about this game next to the camera/photo sharing option. This is one thing that's sore missed in this game especially since it's all about crashing into stuff; I would love to see all the action in First person in-car camera.

I tried out the multiplayer yesterday for the first time and I have to say it's pretty fun. I really like the feel of it. I just hate the fact that it's basically Bumper Cars: The Online Multiplayer Experience.

But the game types are pretty fun. I like it. I'll definitely be playing more of it. But it's definitely better with friends/GAF members so if anyone's ever down to host a game, let me know.

I feel I need to ask this after playing this a lot since Christmas... What is the point of this? Like, why have they remade it?

I actually feel it's inferior to the original, it's just monotonous. You do an easy and couple of medium events with a car. change car, repeat. The hard events are ridiculous so no point even trying. You then do a most wanted event, get the car, then go back to what you were doing before. The city is like a 30fps rip off of burnout paradise. Much preferred Hot Pursuit, I'm disappointed with the Criterion guys regarding this one.

I'm serious, I love a good challenge and happily fully completed Hot Pursuit with 1000/1000gs, but I had a go on some of the harder circuit events on this and am lucky to hit 4th place... Until a long straight where everyone effortlessly breezes by. Of course, I would just have thought I need to upgrade my car but I can't until I win the race, and I can't win the fucking race because I'm so slow!! Fuck sake!

I'm serious, I love a good challenge and happily fully completed Hot Pursuit with 1000/1000gs, but I had a go on some of the harder circuit events on this and am lucky to hit 4th place... Until a long straight where everyone effortlessly breezes by. Of course, I would just have thought I need to upgrade my car but I can't until I win the race, and I can't win the fucking race because I'm so slow!! Fuck sake!

hard events are hard , if you haven't done the easy one ( to get nitro first )
other than that they are doable ..sure some of them might be hard ( needle point for example ) but that's only maybe 3 hard races in the entire game ?

i'm not an expert far from me to consider myself to be a great player but i have done this effortlessly
Hard events becomes very easy once youv'e done the easy event and the 2 medium events

Xdye7

You need to do the events from easy to hard. For some events you'll need to get the second place mod and then do it again with that mod you just unlocked (i.e. track tires).

The only event that gave me some trouble was "The Getaway" in the BAC Mono. There's basically only one route you can take; otherwise the car simply doesn't go fast enough.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Start on easy, work your way up and apply the upgrades as you get them. The races aren't so terribly difficult that they're impossible, don't be a baby.

If people are speeding past you, then keep on customizations that make you faster. If you're crashing too much and feel you need impact protection or something, then stop crashing so much and drive better.

The game feels really tough when you first pick it up, but it clicks pretty soon and everything just works.

Oh, also, play some multiplayer. It's a lot funner than single player especially when you've got a big group.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The only event I would call hard is Needle Point. *shudders*

The Getaway was a real pain in the ass my first time driving it because I believe my car had the aero body on and there was a small bump before the first significant turn, and EVERY time I would be zooming, hit the bump, my tires would float just above the ground and I couldn't turn, and I'd slam into the wall.

I just now realized why I kept staying off the ground, fucking aerobody.

bs000

Anyone that wants to get rid of the DLC notification every time you start the game on the 360, try this:
  1. Go to storage device and delete both the downloaded update and the online pass (you do NOT have to delete your saved game)
  2. Install the game
  3. Load game and let it download the update as normal (do NOT play the game during the download)
  4. Once the update has installed, exit the game and redownload the online pass from your download history
  5. Load the game as normal. You should not receive the prompt about the update again.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-S...dlc-download-nag-content-not/m-p/313398#M3641

Start on easy, work your way up and apply the upgrades as you get them. The races aren't so terribly difficult that they're impossible, don't be a baby.

If people are speeding past you, then keep on customizations that make you faster. If you're crashing too much and feel you need impact protection or something, then stop crashing so much and drive better.

The game feels really tough when you first pick it up, but it clicks pretty soon and everything just works.

Oh, also, play some multiplayer. It's a lot funner than single player especially when you've got a big group.

I'll give it a go, I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong, Hot Pursuit was just a much better experience personally. I'm sure the cars I've tried are equipped with the best speed items available to me and I'm just passed on the straights by all the other cars, but I'll try it again and see.

Also, I can't do multiplayer, i get some message telling me to download free content every time I play even though I have it. Then I get some message saying certain things will be unavailable to me.

ismaboof

PS3 froze while playing multiplayer. Rebooted and now my save is corrupt. No single player progress whatsoever. Thanks EA/Criterion!

jobber

I'm not sure if this is a flaw with the game or the system but sometimes I speed so fast that the game pauses for 5-10 seconds to load the next section.

Also some of the online challenges are dumb. Like you have to drive to a piece of metal hanging on a crane and park there.

With all the problems with saves and the fact that 91% of the game is complete, I'm just going to retire from this game.

Skyzard

Banned
Criterion..what happened..I'm expecting fixes in the next 30 days..Vita version is actually selling a little bit and still nothing for months. Christmas and New Year will only hold you over for so long. The game doesn't even have that many issues but no support whatsoever?

Xdye7

I believe that is a problem with the PS3 version.

It's always PS3 users mentioning that.

Yup, and they're not going to fix it. Criterion says your ps3 hard drive is at fault (aka nothing to do with Criterion), which is a load of shit considering:

a) it only happens on ps3
b) it only happens with this game
c) it has happened to far too many people

It has happened to about 10/20 of my NFS friends, and me twice.

One thing that you can do about is deleting some stuff from your hard drive, so when the game is writing saves it won't reach this "bad sector", as Criterion calls it, of your hard drive.

Yup, and they're not going to fix it. Criterion says your ps3 hard drive is at fault (aka nothing to do with Criterion), which is a load of shit considering:

One thing that you can do about is deleting some stuff from your hard drive, so when the game is writing saves it won't reach this "bad sector", as Criterion calls it, of your hard drive.

Where have you seen Criterion comment on that? I'm curious because I haven't been able to find anything related to them talking about patches, etc.

jobber

Well with these issues + me beating and taking down the #1 car on the most wanted list but didn't have it aknowledged by the game = ugh

I bought Forza and this game at the same time and ended up giving Forza away.

never again!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Well, to be fair, it does sound like it is exactly the PS3 hard drive that is at fault then. They could have optimized the game to not have that issue probably, but since it does only happen on the PS3, and deleting stuff off the drive helps fix it, it's probably the PS3 hard drive causing it.

Xdye7

Where have you seen Criterion comment on that? I'm curious because I haven't been able to find anything related to them talking about patches, etc.

not sure which thread, but...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted/bd-p/need-for-speed-most-wanted

It's the only response I've seen from Criterion on the matter.

Well, to be fair, it does sound like it is exactly the PS3 hard drive that is at fault then. They could have optimized the game to not have that issue probably, but since it does only happen on the PS3, and deleting stuff off the drive helps fix it, it's probably the PS3 hard drive causing it.

Saying the ps3 is at fault would make sense if it only happened to a few people, whose hard drives were bound to fail regardless. The fact that it has happened to so many people, only with this game, is enough proof that it is a problem with the game instead of the hardware.

jobber

not sure which thread, but...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted/bd-p/need-for-speed-most-wanted

It's the only response I've seen from Criterion on the matter.

Saying the ps3 is at fault would make sense if it only happened to a few people, whose hard drives were bound to fail regardless. The fact that it has happened to so many people, only with this game, is enough proof that it is a problem with the game instead of the hardware.

NFS was the first game I played on a brand new ps3 so it can't be a hard drive dying issue.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I love the social aspects of this game. Autolog went out of its way to tell me I had to beat cafemisto's time and finish on a race in the Mercedes and it was so damn rewarding.

The more friends, the better! My PSN ID is TeethMummy

this game is an excellent pallete cleanser or game to play while listening to music/podcasts. I'm working through Dishonored and sometimes just take a night off to mess around in this world. Online alive and kicking and more fun than any other multiplayer racer. This game is a real achievement. It deserves more attention.

It's fragmentation of the hard drive. Many people who've had their PS3 for a while are going to have a fragmented drive. Especially if they download a lot of demos, etc.

But, even on a new drive, Criterion has always cached the game world on the PS3 hard drive with each boot-up, so for the first 15ish minutes you play it's caching that data. So this could explain how even a new PS3 could also suffer this issue.

Xdye7

It's fragmentation of the hard drive. Many people who've had their PS3 for a while are going to have a fragmented drive. Especially if they download a lot of demos, etc.

But, even on a new drive, Criterion has always cached the game world on the PS3 hard drive with each boot-up, so for the first 15ish minutes you play it's caching that data. So this could explain how even a new PS3 could also suffer this issue.

Doesn't explain why this game fails to work properly with the ps3 so often.

Only Criterion knows the real answer, which seems to be something they will not share.

gdt

I've been using a custom playlist for all my music.

So, anytime an event starts the music changes, anyway I can stop that?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've been using a custom playlist for all my music.

So, anytime an event starts the music changes, anyway I can stop that?

Woah woah woah hold on, how do you set up a custom playlist? Is it the PC version?

Top Bottom