• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

My god, I just can't get on with this game. Such a disappointment after hot pursuit, what the hell has happened to Criterion!? If they carry on in this direction, I worry for the next Burnout.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I got this for Christmas, after Halo 4 and AC3 am now onto this.

It definitely feels like Burnout Paradise but edgier, lol. I've done a few races and after the last spent the last 10 minutes getting away from police who just wouldn't give up, good fun though, I just hope it doesn't get annoying. I also kind of preferred unlocking the cars as you go, a nice sense of progression, is there a certain car in the game along the lines of the Hawker from BP, was easily my favourite car and after all that running from police I haven't stopped to look at the cars to drive I was passing.

Also, is there way of turning off certain tracks, we could do it in BP but there only seems to be an option for "Game Soundtrack" and that's it. It's also annoying that there is no "north" marker of any sort on the minimap.

This should tide me over with the hopes of a proper Burnout Paradise sequel at some point.

saladine1

Any word on the next Need For Speed?

I just hope that if they are doing a NFS Underground 'remake', they stick to what made the original special. This 'our own touch' business just didn't work with Most wanted. Very disappointed to say the least.
So, if your are listening EA (lol), when you decide to do Underground 3, do it fucking properly. Even better, bring back Black Box so they can do it.....

Any word on the next Need For Speed?

I just hope that if they are doing a NFS Underground 'remake', they stick to what made the original special. This 'our own touch' business just didn't work with Most wanted. Very disappointed to say the least.
So, if your are listening EA (lol), when you decide to do Underground 3, do it fucking properly. Even better, bring back Black Box so they can do it.....

Nothing yet.

I'm sure, the next NFS comes from the new Studio in Gothenburg, Ghost Games. Interested in what their "own touch" is going to be. I also didn't like Criterions NFS Games, at all. It's like they don't even know what the philosophie of the franchise is standing for.

I remember the old days, where NFS being compared to Gran Turismo in Gaming Magazines and it didn't have to hide and seek. Now we get this 90 degree power-drift Mario Kart handling :/

In regards to Underground 3. If they are going to do it, then not in respect to the original. Tuning is out, that's what the Publisher are trying to narrate.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Jesus christ, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Needle Point race is the most infuriating level I have played in a racing game, I haven't had a problem up till now with the game, but I can't make the speed required by the finish no matter how many times I try.

And most of the fucking time some random bullshit crashes me which means restarting, and then for some reason Criterion decided that every time you restart they try to play the race intro video, it's fine the first 20 times but after that I am restarting, I don't want to see the damn video and then try to skip it to have wait a few seconds more to race.

I also hate the damn police, if they weren't in the game I simply would care nor miss them, police coming out from certain places consistently is in no way transparent, worse so in this damn Bugatti level where they randomly place one coming around the first corner to hit you seemingly on and off for no reason.

SxP

I also hate the damn police, if they weren't in the game I simply would care nor miss them, police coming out from certain places consistently is in no way transparent, worse so in this damn Bugatti level where they randomly place one coming around the first corner to hit you seemingly on and off for no reason.

Agreed. Pursuits are no fun at all and I skip any and all Ambush events. And after races with police I just stand still and let myself be busted. If your heat level is 3 or 4 it just takes so damn long to lose the cops after entering cooldown. And driving around avoiding them is a damn chore and almost impossible. You basically have to hide which means you have got to know where to hide. And if you lose them on the highway you're always boned. You can't go back and they'll always spawn someone ahead of you.

To say nothing of pursuits starting 0.1 km from your race start.

Jesus christ, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Needle Point race is the most infuriating level I have played in a racing game, I haven't had a problem up till now with the game, but I can't make the speed required by the finish no matter how many times I try.

And most of the fucking time some random bullshit crashes me which means restarting, and then for some reason Criterion decided that every time you restart they try to play the race intro video, it's fine the first 20 times but after that I am restarting, I don't want to see the damn video and then try to skip it to have wait a few seconds more to race.

You're right ..needle point is the most annoying race in the entire game..it's almost trial and error.
My advice ? At the start of the event pick the oncoming route , untill you reach the 2nd long road and then pick the regular route ( there isn't enough place to see properly otherwise) when you reach the carry, you're required to drift ( otherwise you lose too much speed ). when you're going down to go back to the starting place do not pick the ongoing route, you should have enough speed at this point. After the long run and in the last part of this event it's all luck.

Ps: everything in that race is scripted regarding police so you know you're doing it right if you reach the quarry and they're not there yet

Agreed. Pursuits are no fun at all and I skip any and all Ambush events. And after races with police I just stand still and let myself be busted. If your heat level is 3 or 4 it just takes so damn long to lose the cops after entering cooldown. And driving around avoiding them is a damn chore and almost impossible. You basically have to hide which means you have got to know where to hide. And if you lose them on the highway you're always boned. You can't go back and they'll always spawn someone ahead of you.

The police is kinda dumb ..there are a lot of ways to evade it quickly and pursuits do get you more SP points so it's not like you're wasting your time.
The key to avoid annoyance is to reach the border of teh police search range when the game saves .( when there is no hud. you'll reach cooldown very easily and if you know the city it's very easy to hide and turn off your engines( very important)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Yea it is silly, I wish the game had told me turning off my engine would make the cool down reduce faster, I accidentally hit the stick in and turned off the engine while trying to hide and realised it was happening. Would have been good to know rather than it reducing at its normal rate.

The rubber banding is starting to get annoying too, no matter how well I do, how perfect I take every corner, if I am driving the fastest car around, everyone else can catch up.
I'd love to have whatever car the police have, it seems to be able to go faster than anything else on the road so they can smack me out of nowhere.

SxP

The rubber banding is starting to get annoying too, no matter how well I do, how perfect I take every corner, if I am driving the fastest car around, everyone else can catch up.

The best part is when you watch your mini map and the arrow behind you suddenly speeds up like crazy to catch up with you.

There was this one most wanted race where I missed the exit on the highway, so I turned around and went down the entrance to the highway. But I missed the checkpoint at the start of the exit so I had to drive up the exit and turn around and continue with the race. Needless to say, I easily won that race due to rubberbanding.

turn off your engines( very important)

It would've been nice if they told me this. I hid somewhere and it took so long to cool down they actually caught me halfway through heat lvl 1. That was pretty annoying, so it would've been nice to have known this earlier.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So is there a way to find out what gates are smashed? their online autolog for Burnout Paradise had a great map for all of the collectables with what you have hit, but I can't see anything in game or on their autolog for this game that tells me what I've done.

I'm I going to have to sit here with a little map of them all and mark them off as I go?

The best part is when you watch your mini map and the arrow behind you suddenly speeds up like crazy to catch up with you.

There was this one most wanted race where I missed the exit on the highway, so I turned around and went down the entrance to the highway. But I missed the checkpoint at the start of the exit so I had to drive up the exit and turn around and continue with the race. Needless to say, I easily won that race due to rubberbanding.

Yea, it does work both ways, but I rather it be toned down from the crazy it is currently at.

torontoml

Regarding the ultimate speed dlc, Veyron and others, is the only way to access these cars buy spending 10 bucks on them? Or do they get unlucked later? I just started the game and would like to know this.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Having completed SP to 100% and platinuming, well, statistically 100% from the menu as I haven't unlocked everything for every car or anything, I didn't enjoy it as much as Burnout Paradise.

MP especially, rarely do people work together for anything like on Burnout, they say themselves that it is suppose to be more competitive and all the time, but to me it just wasn't as enjoyable, more so when a few seconds into a challenge you can get taken out for the remainder of it. Adding things like instant takedown was especially annoying, it's like they added things from a CoD mentality, and it just didn't jive well with me.

The City wasn't as distinct as Paradise City, no north marker left me not knowing where I was generally to everything else while in BP I would know where I was most of the time, maybe it was the style of the game where Fairhaven was more "realistic" lookingso less distinct. I think I just generally didn't like any of the Need for Speed parts of it, police were especially annoying and like I said previously far too scripted during a race to appear at certain points in certain ways.

Still, an enjoyable game, just next to BP it felt like a bit of a let down, and I hope they don't leave a Burnout Paradise sequel on the back burner for the NFS series.

torontoml

As I said above I just started playing this but, is it normal for it to freeze three times within like 6 hours? My save was corrupted on the second freeze don't know about this latest one. I'm quite annoyed with this since I have barely touched the game and I'm already considering putting it away due the amount of crashing.

netBuff

As I said above I just started playing this but, is it normal for it to freeze three times within like 6 hours? My save was corrupted on the second freeze don't know about this latest one. I'm quite annoyed with this since I have barely touched the game and I'm already considering putting it away due the amount of crashing.

I'm playing on PS3 and, yes, the game does freeze more often than other titles. While it's by no means unplayable or game-breaking, it is annoying. I haven't experienced any destroyed savegames so far, but I'm still transferring my file to Cloud Storage after every session as a precaution due to the amount of crashes Most Wanted produces.

I can only recommend you to stay with the game, it's a very enjoyable title!

Having completed SP to 100% and platinuming, well, statistically 100% from the menu as I haven't unlocked everything for every car or anything, I didn't enjoy it as much as Burnout Paradise.

MP especially, rarely do people work together for anything like on Burnout, they say themselves that it is suppose to be more competitive and all the time, but to me it just wasn't as enjoyable, more so when a few seconds into a challenge you can get taken out for the remainder of it. Adding things like instant takedown was especially annoying, it's like they added things from a CoD mentality, and it just didn't jive well with me.

The City wasn't as distinct as Paradise City, no north marker left me not knowing where I was generally to everything else while in BP I would know where I was most of the time, maybe it was the style of the game where Fairhaven was more "realistic" lookingso less distinct. I think I just generally didn't like any of the Need for Speed parts of it, police were especially annoying and like I said previously far too scripted during a race to appear at certain points in certain ways.

Still, an enjoyable game, just next to BP it felt like a bit of a let down, and I hope they don't leave a Burnout Paradise sequel on the back burner for the NFS series.
Pretty much mirrors most of my impression. I've finished the SP, played enough MP to know that the lobby system just don't hold up well enough for people to actively participate to stick around. And I really haven't been back for 2 months to the game. It's a really stark contrast to Paradise, where I played that for months, if not the entire year after it came out.

The OT thread page count of Paradise (162) compared to this one kinda suggests the same thing. This is good, but once you're done, it's kind of over.

TJP

What has killed this game for many people has been the bugs. For example autolog doesn't log the user in automatically and when you are logged in, it'll often disconnect for no reason, gear change issues, Speed Pack DLC not appearing in-game despite being purchased, start up issues for PC gamers (black screen) and the biggest issue of all: frame rate issues on the PC version irrespective of videocard brand.

It looks to me like Most Wanted was a rush job; a very poor console port with a few nice PC additions (e.g. DX 11) that were horribly implemented. The game even installs file folders for screenshots ala Hot Pursuit yet there isn't the ability to do just than in-game other than pressing the print screen button (or using a third party app).

What has killed this game for many people has been the bugs.

i just tried to beat the LFA Most Wanted race for about two hundred times and lost at the end because of the jump that aligns you so that you fall on a rooftop. A rooftop that also acts as an invisible wall and you get stuck. Therefore losing the race :E

Invisible walls, glitches, bugs, very obvious and shitty rubberbanding(you can clearly see the enemy arrows gaining 500km/h speed or something and catching up no matter how fast you go) make this a hard game to enjoy :(

This on the PS3.

Skyzard

Banned
What has killed this game for many people has been the bugs. For example autolog doesn't log the user in automatically and when you are logged in, it'll often disconnect for no reason, gear change issues, Speed Pack DLC not appearing in-game despite being purchased, start up issues for PC gamers (black screen) and the biggest issue of all: frame rate issues on the PC version irrespective of videocard brand.

It looks to me like Most Wanted was a rush job; a very poor console port with a few nice PC additions (e.g. DX 11) that were horribly implemented. The game even installs file folders for screenshots ala Hot Pursuit yet there isn't the ability to do just than in-game other than pressing the print screen button (or using a third party app).

The worst thing is the lack of fixes afterwards. Really leaves a bad taste. Lol @ teasing burnout paradise 2. Maybe when it's chump change.

Xdye7

Has anyone noticed the rubber-banding online? There's the obvious increased boost regeneration the further you are from 1st place, but when you're in first place... holy shit at the things this game does.

Has anyone noticed the rubber-banding online? There's the obvious increased boost regeneration the further you are from 1st place, but when you're in first place... holy shit at the things this game does.

This has been the case since the earliest Burnout games. Nothing new.

SxP

This has been the case since the earliest Burnout games. Nothing new.

Yeah, it was also like this in Hot Pursuit. Most people online don't know this, so if you're in last place you can easily catch up to the rest of the field because you're using your (near) unlimited boost and they aren't.

Ugh, i mean i do understand why its always implemented on SP.

But rubberbanding should stay in singleplayer side only, takes some skill out of the multiplayer :(

And i really like the game otherwise, i just wish they would roll out regular updates!

(and give me a Bonnet/Hood/Roof camera and selectable songs in the playlist!)

where is the dlc for this game ?

Don't get me wrong i'm glad this game is not whorred in dlc like many but after burnout paradise or hot pursuit it's ...lacking

Where is the dlc pack for VITA ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
where is the dlc for this game ?

Don't get me wrong i'm glad this game is not whorred in dlc like many but after burnout paradise or hot pursuit it's ...lacking

Where is the dlc pack for VITA ?

You shouldn't expect the same level of DLC as Burnout Paradise. It was a really awesome DLC experiment.

It didn't end up being financially viable for them.

So it was awesome, but probably won't be happening again.

Geez, that freakin' Needle Point race in the Koenigsegg.. I think it was harder than the Veyron one as at least the Veyron is a little tougher on impacts!

Seriously almost chucked the Vita across the room haha..

And then to follow up Needle Point with the Getaway and that stupid, stupid unskippable cutscene at the start every time.. GAH.

Horrible.

You shouldn't expect the same level of DLC as Burnout Paradise. It was a really awesome DLC experiment.

It didn't end up being financially viable for them.

So it was awesome, but probably won't be happening again.
Still hot pursuit got 4 things dlc , 3 being paid content

And here we got just 1 pack of 5 cars .... that's not much

Geez, that freakin' Needle Point race in the Koenigsegg.. I think it was harder than the Veyron one as at least the Veyron is a little tougher on impacts!

Seriously almost chucked the Vita across the room haha..

And then to follow up Needle Point with the Getaway and that stupid, stupid unskippable cutscene at the start every time.. GAH.

Horrible.

Needle point in the most annoying race in the game whatever car you use.i gave up to do it on my vita i want to keep my shoulder button intacts ( why can't i change the control scheme criterion ??? )

Since the DLC arrived and I bought it on the 360 I'm getting the following message every time I boot the game.

"A storage device containing downloadable content has been removed. You will now be returned to the title screen."

This is just irritating, so I deleted the DLC file and redownloaded it. Still get the message upon boot up. :|

So even after that message, I'm then prompted with a message asking if I want to download the latest update for the game, and if I don't my online experience will be limited.

The really annoying part? This has happened with one other Xbox 360 game in the past 6 years. That game was NFS: Hot Pursuit. :/

Obviously these idiots are doing something stupid with the DLC that is causing this to happen, but they won't fix it.

3 new packs ? that's much better ( and better on par with what criterion should have done )

But still it's kinda late ..i hope those arrive fast on psn or live ..

Lima

3 new packs ? that's much better ( and better on par with what criterion should have done )

But still it's kinda late ..i hope those arrive fast on psn or live ..

Since they already have added the trophies/achievements to the services I would say they are coming out March 5th.

Not bad then ..

I guess this beauty will be playable :

2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-coupe-photo-457033-s-1280x782.jpg

Shelby GT500

MOst intresting

Top Bottom