• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

cool I'll be pointing here too can't wait to play this
3AQmK.gif

Caelestis

So guys, I haven't been paying attention to this game at all and someone told me it's exactly like Burnout Paradise which I loved. Anyone knows what's the cheapest way to get game now in NA?

So guys, I haven't been paying attention to this game at all and someone told me it's exactly like Burnout Paradise which I loved. Anyone knows what's the cheapest way to get game now in NA?

It's not exactly the same as Paradise, but it's certainly similar. The game's price is holding surprisingly high. It's definitely been on sale for $40 though, and Target is doing a Buy 2 get 1 next week in the U.S.

still no word on that new DLC for the Wii U version? I'll take it late than never

that Smokey and the bandit car do want I grew up loving that car because of those movies

also an Airport? fuck yeah

Quoting you from the other thread. :)

I'll be surprised if they bring all the DLC to the U version. They haven't released any for the Vita version, and I'm just not sure they're gonna bother with the U version either. They know the userbase will be limited. Just trying to give you a heads up, so you don't get your hopes up.

TJP

The DLC packs were finally released for the PC last week along with a patch that improves performance and adds a new anti-aliasing option. At $25 I thought the 'deluxe DLC pack' was a little steeply priced but now that I've played all of the DLC packs, the cost has been largely forgotten. Most Wanted is now my favourite arcade racer surpassing the sublime PGR 4.

Zeknurn

I got this from the SimCity giveaway and I'm looking to fill my Origin friendslist/Autolog with people that have also recently picked up the game. I've added myself to the spreadsheet in OP. Feel free to add me.

Yeah, I got my free copy of the game thanks to the Sim City launch troubles as well.
Definitely need some Origin friends with this game, feel free to add me: DeadPixelOrigin

MJLord

Hey guys. Got it free thanks to Sim City. Origin: luckie16lordie

How's the handling of cars for you guys? I can't figure out if there is a delay in my controls or if it's supposed to be a "semi" realistic handling :/ Maybe it's because I was expecting a burnout paradise esque control feel. (They took everything else from that game amirite? :p)

Anyway some help would be awesome!! See you out there!

Lima

Nope nothing wrong on your end. Just the same janky tank controls that they have been using since Hot Pursuit. I don't really dig it to be honest.

MJLord

Nope nothing wrong on your end. Just the same janky tank controls that they have been using since Hot Pursuit. I don't really dig it to be honest.

I'm getting used to it but sometimes drifting doesn't always work a slower speeds which means the first part of the game is a bit weird :(

Oh yeah! I remember playing BF1942 with ya. I got quite good at that game, too! I'm a PC gamer now though. Sold my PS3 ages ago.

I loved that game. I have also made the transition to PC recently. Just keeping my PS3 for The Last of Us and all of my downloadable purchase (and RDR, since we got cheated out of a PC version).

Downloading NFS now. Hope to see some folks online.

Ballistik

Oh man this game.. this game is so much fun. I had postponed getting it and then the SimCity fiasco comes around. It's the best thing to come out of that haha. Anyone who wants to add me to compete for those autolog high scores, please do so. My friends list is empty. I already added myself to the spreadsheet.

Origin ID: EC_Ballistik

TJP

It could well be an EA decision based on sales; Criterion may well want to release DLC for the Vita but EA may not wish too. Same goes for the Wii U version.

Xdye7

Yeah there are tons of players. When someone quits a lobby it's filled instantly, even in the DLC pool which I assume is smaller than the non DLC pool.

Tried to play this game for 2 hours.
It's garbage.
One of the worst racing games I've ever played.
Thanks, Criterion (or EA?)

Multiplayer is a mess.
HUD is the worst I've ever seen
It's 50% racing and 50% watching the crash-cam

Damn it...now I can't return it (codes are used).

What happened, criterion?

god I need to calm down ^^

edit: I'm only talking about the MP !!!

Xdye7

IMO going straight to the MP is a bad idea. Play single player to get a feel for the game and rack up speed points for unlocking cars in MP.

But yeah, you definitely have to be on your toes in MP. Standing still is like asking to be taken out.

daviyoung

Banned
Tried to play this game for 2 hours.
It's garbage.
One of the worst racing games I've ever played.
Thanks, Criterion (or EA?)

Multiplayer is a mess.
HUD is the worst I've ever seen
It's 50% racing and 50% watching the crash-cam

Damn it...now I can't return it (codes are used).

What happened, criterion?

god I need to calm down ^^

edit: I'm only talking about the MP !!!

What's wrong with the HUD?

FWIW it's the best multiplayer racing game I've ever played. But...

1. you need to have a rough idea of the layout of the city
2. you need to know that people will try and take you down before/after an event, so hide or try and take them down instead (also see point 8)
3. some challenges will take a while to get to know, like the ones where you have to jump or park in a specific point, don't worry about trying to be first in every thing
4. understand that races start in the direction of where you can read Meet Up correctly, so get yourself ready and be the first to the first checkpoint
5. only change your loadout/upgrades in places out of the way of other racers if you want to avoid crash-cam frustration
6. racing lines are marked by checkpoints, onscreen arrows and the minimap, only rely on the minimap when getting off or on the highway (this is the only awkward part of navigation)
7. mute all other drivers (a mute all function is missing unfortunately)
8. if you're fed up of being taken down all the time choose "Instant Takedown" as your sweet revenge perk, and change into an SUV (Land Rover or Ford Raptor) after an event if your event list allows it

It's a great multiplayer game, but as has been suggested maybe have a go at a few events in single player first to get to know the city a bit more.

Lima

What is wrong with the HUD?

Is that a serious question?

I play on a 65" screen and literally 50% of my screen is covered with a HUD. It looks like shit and constantly displays information I don't need.

Take for example your speed level in the top middle of the screen. That shit doesn't need to be displayed all the time.

I like the game but let's not kid ourselves here. The MP in this game is a mess, especially compared to other Criterion titles.

daviyoung

Banned
Yeh, it is a serious question.

Doesn't matter what size screen you have, HUD will take up the same amount of real estate. Resolution might matter, but I doubt it. Bigger the screen, bigger the HUD.

So the XP meter doesn't need to be there? Never seen it as a big deal, never got in the way. Has it for you?

How else is the multiplayer a mess?

Yeh, it is a serious question.

Doesn't matter what size screen you have, HUD will take up the same amount of real estate. Resolution might matter, but I doubt it. Bigger the screen, bigger the HUD.

So the XP meter doesn't need to be there? Never seen it as a big deal, never got in the way. Has it for you?

How else is the multiplayer a mess?

I'm surprised people haven't developed an injector or ini tweak to disable the HUD. Damn EA.

Why Criterion... the HUD in Paraside City was SO UNOBTRUSIVE. It would fade in and out just when I wanted it too... :(

So, is this game still good if you just plan to play it singleplayer? I'm not even sure if I could even get online rankings etc automatically. Even though the online has become a tad better since then, the Miiverse features in ZombiU also never activated for me due to my wonky Wii U connection.

this game has my permission to die a slow and painful death.
I can't even beat the third race in SP (Porsche - medium difficulty). Even without crashes and constant boost it's not possible.

Die die die my darlin'

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm surprised people haven't developed an injector or ini tweak to disable the HUD. Damn EA.

Why Criterion... the HUD in Paraside City was SO UNOBTRUSIVE. It would fade in and out just when I wanted it too... :(

There WAS a mod that allowed you to disable the HUD, but every update broke it, and I don't think Toca has update it yet.

Xdye7

I can't even beat the third race in SP (Porsche - medium difficulty). Even without crashes and constant boost it's not possible.

lol wut

Regarding the HUD, the only time I find it obtrusive is during a challenge in multiplayer when it becomes unreasonably fucking huge just to display the names and distances. The same information is displayed during speedtests so I really don't see why it has to cover a quarter of the screen during challenges.

Toppot

I am quite interested in picking up this game, on PS3, but there is so much DLC out there for it. Has there been any hint this will get an 'Ultimate Box' like Burnout Paradise? Or more DLC coming out for it? Or do people think there will be an 'Ultimate Box' for it?

crispyben

As the OP who sold his PS3 copy as soon as I unlocked the Platinum trophy and abandoned the thread, I feel it's only fair to post that I've gotten back into the Vita version... and I'm still not convinced by this game, even though I'm impressed by what they managed to squeeze onto that platform! Then again, Burnout Paradise was my first Burnout, and outside the single player, I never did any races, so what I like most about that game is clearly missing from this game. Then there's the online, which hasn't clicked for me either. I guess I had more fun checking 500 challenges than filling up 500 bars...

I have no console preference and this game is at the same price for both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Is any version superior to the other? I don't have a Wii U or gaming PC.

Lima

I have played both versions.

If you fully install the game on the 360 it runs a little better. It has a little less pop-in at high speeds. Other than that both versions are the same. You get low framerates and especially in the DLC very frequent audio dropouts.

Xdye7

Anyone still play this?

Need help for the Super Freak achievement (jump McLaren F1 over six cars at Hodges airfield), willing to help as well obviously.

Stackboy

I popped this game back in over the weekend on 360. Got readdicted and bought all the DLC. Love the Criterion touches, from Burnout, coming through.

TJP

The airport DLC is a lot of fun, especially with the hypercar class cars equiped with jump nitrous 8)

Baron

I finally jumped in and bought this for the PS3 at $30 from Amazon. I already own the Vita version which I enjoy a great deal. But I noticed the copy that arrived from UPS today was no longer the "Limited Edition". Am I missing anything that I can't unlock or buy as DLC without the Ltd edition?

Otherwise, both Vita and PS3 players please add me as your friend, btw.

TJP

I finally jumped in and bought this for the PS3 at $30 from Amazon. I already own the Vita version which I enjoy a great deal. But I noticed the copy that arrived from UPS today was no longer the "Limited Edition". Am I missing anything that I can't unlock or buy as DLC without the Ltd edition?.
I bought the LE version of Most Wanted for the PC and when I bought the Complete DLC Bundle, EA's Origin service informed that my version of the game had been 'upgraded' to the LE version. Suffice to say I was slightly perplexed by the message... Perhaps it's the same on console. Honestly, you're not missing much if you do not have the LE version - a few bonuses for multiplayer in the form of early access to a few cars and double XP From the EA website:

Limited Edition

4 Hours of Double Speed Points – Get double Speed Points for your first 4 hours of multiplayer.

2 Limited Edition Vehicles – Get early access in online multiplayer to two of the World’s hottest cars complete with the exclusive Satin Black livery and the latest performance modifications.

The ultimate in speed and style, there isn’t a more impressive piece of automotive engineering than the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale featuring these Limited Edition modifications:

*Racing Engine and brakes tuned for increased power and control.
*The Ground Effect Body increases down-force for better maneuverability.

The powerful, lightweight and super responsive 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S is perfect for ditching rivals at breakneck speed and comes equipped with these Limited Edition modifications:

*Optimized Aerodynamic Body reducing drag for maximum top speed.
*Efficient and sustained speed boost with the Nitrous Burn.

Make sure you visit here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-S...ommon-issues-Updated-03-15/m-p/373688#U373688

Criterion and EA have been VERY slow in addressing many of the games issues to a point where I believe they've made their money and moved on. Pity as I love Most Wanted but I doubt I'll buy another Criterion game on its release day.

Top Bottom