• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

Honestly, I would never equate the Trans community to the lunacy happening in RE.
I'm in a similar situation as yours, and never once IRL I met people with the same bizarre view of the world.

It's concerning that for many people that's the way they first experience interactions with communities such as LGBTQ. Part of the subsequent distrust, misunderstandings, and in general dismissals are inevitable, that way.

Having started to come back here in the past week or two it's already astoundingly refreshing to experience a place of free speech, where one can talk their mind - if respectfully and in accordance to the ToS - without incurring in the rage of some deranged individual, with the site staff appealing to some dogmatic, non-written rule to stop any possible problematic dialogue in the tracks, flying the banner of some made up safe space at the cost of basic common sense.

I'd seen some stuff on Era that made me go huh before. But this CDPR/Transphobia thing has been just to much. It's way way to much

tenor.gif

Ogbert

I really hate all this “ally” shit.

I’m not trying to be anyone’s ally. The only people I pledge allegiance to are those who are within my immediate circle of family and friends. I wish everyone else the best. I’m not your ally simply because of your skin color, sexual orientation, or gender. Sorry.

I despise all progressive language.

Ally, bad take, problematic, we must do better, yikes, dialogue, narrative....

Makes me shudder.

NodeofRanvier

Neo Member
I joined here too after what's happening over there. To be fair to myself I was only a member there for like a week before I realized that those people are just insane. I'm liberal, but I'm not a maniac. It'll be nice to be able to discuss any video game I want and not need to have them be "approved" for me to talk about by a bunch of crazy people first.

I only ever lurked here in the past..like the leadup to the ps4 and xbox one launches which was magical. But this site definitely seems to have gotten even better since then. I Hope it continues to grow!

Feels good to be back, feels good to see some positivity around gaming and life.

Yeah same. I have posted way more here than I have since GAF blew up in 2016 or whenever.

I despise all progressive language.

Ally, bad take, problematic, we must do better, yikes, dialogue, narrative....

Makes me shudder.

Will you stop infringing on my fucking right to say yikes?

Also narrative. You can't have that one either.

Last edited:
Ah, bless. B-Universe is still trying to talk to me, even though I put him on ignore fucking ages ago. :messenger_waving: hiya pinhead!

Maybe your vast experience on forums hasn't taught you the following straightforward truth yet:

On public forums, a reply isn't necessarily aimed exclusively at or even primarily at the person you're replying to. The main goal is to make a point for all of the audience to consider.

Regarding your flamboyant lack of consistency, I stand my ground.
I reaffirm everything I said.
Keep insulting left and right and then be sure to mount that High Horse of Decency.

It will take me years to recover from you putting me on Ignore.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I saw you posting in the Cyberpunk thread. Must be painful backspacing and rewriting your post a thousand times, navel gazing as to whether or not it will get you banned this time or not.
I just like to post about happiness, light, debauchery, sadism, BBQ and the occasional video game....minimal rewrites lol.

Heartkiller

Resetera has just lost the plot at this stage. For some reason it's insanely popular but I have no idea why
It's honestly just because it is the place to get video game news, stories, deals, etc. as quickly as possible. There's also the fact that people in the industry happen to post there occasionally but... posters on Era are doing their absolute best to drive those industry people away, so...

I'm very liberal when it comes to social issues but the never-ending and ever-shifting purity tests are absurd. I'm sure a lot of people on Era have dealt with harassment and/or bigotry in their lives but this "you're either with me or you're a nazi" bullshit is so nauseating. But hey, whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.

5e3d020dbc9d6f08b7d10b09f4c2d6ac.png

I feel like this sums up Era pretty well.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Maybe your vast experience on forums hasn't taught you the following straightforward truth yet:

On public forums, a reply isn't necessarily aimed exclusively at or even primarily at the person you're replying to. The main goal is to make a point for all of the audience to consider.

Regarding your flamboyant lack of consistency, I stand my ground.
I reaffirm everything I said.
Keep insulting left and right and then be sure to mount that High Horse of Decency.

It will take me years to recover from you putting me on Ignore.

If you truly believe the term ‘tranny’ and ‘pinhead’ are comparable or equatable, I’m not sure engaging in any more conversation with you is worth it, to be honest dude.

Last edited:
As someone who posts on both forums and tries to stay neutral (both forums have advantages and disadvantages, I know some will hate that comment), it's quite sad to see content being suppressed over there. It's a mistake and a bad look to prevent discussions of any kind and the drama over an OT is quite pathetic.

I wish this place would delete the politics sub-forum, it would really lead to a revival - focus on gaming and bullshit on OT, a place to escape.

4pjxd6.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the only thing I miss is having super active OTs for most games. That was the best part Gaf before the split and the best part of Era. Just not worth putting up with other BS over there. Here only the biggest games get active OTs, many games don’t get OTs at all—including some big games like Miles Morales.

I’ve mostly just accepted there’s just not always a great place to causally shoot the shit about every game I’m playing anymore. I visit here mostly for news, the OTs for big games I’m playing that have active ones, and random threads and just stay away from all the console warrior and SJW/other side BS that’s pretty prevalent and rarely look at Offtopic and never the other areas.

GAf is quite enjoyable for me that way and not spending nearly as much time in forums as Idid for most of the past 25 years or so is a good thing overall anyway.

You can sign up to make threads and unless I'm mistaken, make them on even older games.

Hell I'd love to do some I just don't have time to do more than post/reply on threads.

Moogle11

Banned
You can sign up to make threads and unless I'm mistaken, make them on even older games.

Hell I'd love to do some I just don't have time to do more than post/reply on threads.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. As long as there's an expectation of signing up and putting effort into a first post I just don't have the time or energy to bother, especially with how anything other than major releases just see the OTs sink like a stone anyway. No offense to people who spend a lot of time making elaborate first posts in an OT, but I rarely even look at them. Review threads are were I go for info on a game I'm on the fence about. OTs I'm only going to if I'm already getting/have a game and want to share my impressions, read others' impressions, ask and answer questions etc.

Just seems to me like the barrier of signing up, having to at least gather some links and other details for the first post etc. probably reduces the number of OTs. Though again, maybe it's all moot if any but the most popular games are going to see their OTs sink quickly behind all the news and console warring type threads anyway. The casually shoot the shit about what your playing crowd seems to have mostly left and not came back yet unfortunately, but maybe that will change as the Era continues to get crazier and drive away more folks who just want to talk games.

As I said, GAF is still great! I just miss the super active game OTs for most every game under the sun that was my favorite part of the site back before the split.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. As long as there's an expectation of signing up and putting effort into a first post I just don't have the time or energy to bother, especially with how anything other than major releases just see the OTs sink like a stone anyway. No offense to people who spend a lot of time making elaborate first posts in an OT, but I rarely even look at them. Review threads are were I go for info on a game I'm on the fence about. OTs I'm only going to if I'm already getting/have a game and want to share my impressions, read others' impressions, ask and answer questions etc.

Just seems to me like the barrier of signing up, having to at least gather some links and other details for the first post etc. probably reduces the number of OTs. Though again, maybe it's all moot if any but the most popular games are going to see their OTs sink quickly behind all the news and console warring type threads anyway. The casually shoot the shit about what your playing crowd seems to have mostly left and not came back yet unfortunately, but maybe that will change as the Era continues to get crazier and drive away more folks who just want to talk games.

As I said, GAF is still great! I just miss the super active game OTs for most every game under the sun that was my favorite part of the site back before the split.

Fair enough; I'm sure if enough people mentioned it the staff would pin OTs for a certain period of time so they don't get buried immediately after someone puts time into them.

I can't recall if GAF or Era pinned OTs but it's not a bad idea.

There's seriously a poster in the other places stickied CP thread taunting people who have issues for not being brave enough to speak up and stand by and explain their beliefs if they disagree, in full awareness mods are currently banning absolutely any dissenting voices at this point

Fucking asshats. I'm done there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fair enough; I'm sure if enough people mentioned it the staff would pin OTs for a certain period of time so they don't get buried immediately after someone puts time into them.

I can't recall if GAF or Era pinned OTs but it's not a bad idea.
As long as threads are properly tagged as OTs though, it's easy to filter out everything else:

Moogle11

Banned
As long as threads are properly tagged as OTs though, it's easy to filter out everything else:

Thanks for sharing! I didn’t know there was an option to filter by tags.

Cognitive dissonance is a helluva drug.

Especially in context of the sheer amount of posters throwing the term 'alt Right' around for people who have literally been broadly fucking agreeing about Trans rights but disagreeing with a few elements of their coverage approach

I'm moderate, mayyyybe center-left politically but Jesus H Christ on a bike riding down a hill, this is silly

Banjo64

cumsessed
If we’re doing funny Reeee ban stories, I was a member there for a week or so once upon a time.

I got a temporary ban quite quickly, because I cut through the bullshit and asked one of those imbeciles whether they had a job. You can tell which ones don’t, it’s the ones who think the most minor issue, like a dev making a joke 8 years ago on Bebo, means they should lose there job, house and family. Funnily enough, the dunce refused to answer.

Once the temp ban expired, I decided to have a gander on Trump’s inauguration thread whilst it was happening live. The way people were going on, you’d have thought he’d just ordered 20 million people in to concentration camps. I literally posted ‘should we just wait and see how his policies actually effect people before we shit the bed?’ and was immediately descended upon by about 10 of the mongoloids with their favourite ‘really?’ quips and a permanent ban.

It was a brief and unsatisfying affair, something I’m sadly used to.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The thing that I keep seeing posted over and over there repeatedly is that GAF is a nazi website. Where did this even come from? I don't understand what the fuck they are even talking about.

A warped ideology stemming from too much time spent in an echo chamber. It literally becomes the case that if someone has a differing opinion on a subject (trans rights) then that person must be labelled as extreme and evil. This is much easier than engaging with them, because engaging might expose them to a valid opinion, and they can’t possibly entertain the notion that they are not already 100% correct.

It’s all borne of fear.

Fear of confrontation. Fear of discussion. Fear of opposing viewpoints.

But most of all... fear that deep down they might just not have all the answers and the truth. Ego, entitlement and intolerance all wrapped up with a toxic bow.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I just like that I can say the word cunt a lot round here without some cunt getting offended

I’m half Aussie, half Londoner. I basically came out of the womb saying cunt. I’m pretty sure I quit GAF all those years ago because it got banned by the Reee crowd before they fucked off.

Cunts.

PSA for Americans: we don’t use the word cunt to refer to just women (if ever) like some of you might do, so please don’t think we’re being massively misogynistic here. Everyone gets called a cunt. Mostly other blokes.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I’m half Aussie, half Londoner. I basically came out of the womb saying cunt. I’m pretty sure I quit GAF all those years ago because it got banned by the Reee crowd before they fucked off.

Cunts.

PSA for Americans: we don’t use the word cunt to refer to just women (if ever) like some of you might do, so please don’t think we’re being massively misogynistic here. Everyone gets called a cunt. Mostly other blokes.
I'm insulted you think we don't know that. Stupid cunt.

Last edited:

dave_d

A warped ideology stemming from too much time spent in an echo chamber. It literally becomes the case that if someone has a differing opinion on a subject (trans rights) then that person must be labelled as extreme and evil. This is much easier than engaging with them, because engaging might expose them to a valid opinion, and they can’t possibly entertain the notion that they are not already 100% correct.

It’s all borne of fear.

Fear of confrontation. Fear of discussion. Fear of opposing viewpoints.

But most of all... fear that deep down they might just not have all the answers and the truth. Ego, entitlement and intolerance all wrapped up with a toxic bow.

So pretty much since all political leanings have extreme versions that many would consider crazy they lump everybody that disagrees with them as extremists. Is that about it? (Just to be clear while I may be a bit libertarian that does not mean I think things like drunk driving should be legal. Yes, there are literally libertarians that have that point of view.)

Ogbert

Cunts.

I’m at the point now where I use it as a term of endearment.

Top Bottom