• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JUNE 2011 Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Goods! (Real pics or BAN!)!

jcutner

5816437321_de71859e07_z.jpg

Special J

Banned
G-Fex said:
Since my local Play N Trade is closing in two weeks (FUCKING SUCKS :( ) They're selling everything 30 percent off even new games.

So I picked up a lot of good games I could find.

and for lol friday the 13th

TgOdsl.jpg

what are the two genesis games on the left?

Gotta love a Lego set that comes double boxed and then shipped in an even bigger box. Now, I just need to resist the urge to open it and put it together...
IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

otakuderek

No pictures since I don't own a camera.

However, I did pick a Nintendo 3DS today!!! So excited and I didn't know what games to buy. I picked up Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, and Dragon Quest IX just to have something new to play and pre-ordered a copy of The Legend of Zelda: OoT.

otakuderek

Zerokku said:
Use your new 3DS! Hell I used my DSi until I got a cell phone :p

My cell phone is crap and hard to get a decent pic out of. Haven't messed around with the camera yet. I will probably update my post tomorrow then.

isny

napkin dispenser
VendettaXXI said:
My cell phone is crap and hard to get a decent pic out of. Haven't messed around with the camera yet. I will probably update my post tomorrow then.

He meant use your 3DS for photos. =)

jRPG

pickup55a.jpg

pickup55b.jpg

So rare to actually pick up a console JRPG these days, so I was extremely happy to get White Knight Chronicles II.

jRPG said:
So rare to actually pick up a console JRPG these days, so I was extremely happy to get White Knight Chronicles II.

If you get a chance, some impressions of WKC Origins would be really appreciated. Seems very few places are reviewing/giving coverage to WKC 2, and even less Origins.

Mithos

dark10x said:
I've purchased a shit ton of retro stuff very recently. Haven't snapped many photos yet, but here's one of the acquisitions.

sfc.jpg
That stand all the consoles are on, what is it, looks like something that could work quite nicely =)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mithos said:
That stand all the consoles are on, what is it, looks like something that could work quite nicely =)
I actually purchased that stand back in 2006 when I purchased my first plasma. However, when I moved to my current house, I build a home theater with my TV mounted on the wall and all equipment behind glass in the wall. So, I just used this stand upstairs for my retro systems and it has served me well. Believe it or not I actually have a 27" Sony Wega (SDTV) sitting on top of it. :p

I think I purchased it at some local AV shop. I've seen similar stands floating around, though, so they aren't impossible to find. It's worked out very well for stuff like this, though. The stand was made to hold a 60" rear projection TV, so there is plenty of space!

MedIC86

moop2000 said:
Gotta love a Lego set that comes double boxed and then shipped in an even bigger box. Now, I just need to resist the urge to open it and put it together...
IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

wow thats 500$ of lego right there

Jomjom

Banned
jRPG said:

Whatttt these are already out in the EU? I hate living in the US.

MedIC86 said:
wow thats 500$ of lego right there

not quite that much. about $275 actually. I want to keep it to resell it. I was going to buy a bunch of the giant Millenium Falcon but didn't and now that it is out of print it sells for triple it's original price now.

Dynamic3

jRPG said:
Does anyone know if the EU version of WKC2 will recognize a US save? That is, if importing saves does anything.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
moop2000 said:
not quite that much. about $275 actually. I want to keep it to resell it. I was going to buy a bunch of the giant Millenium Falcon but didn't and now that it is out of print it sells for triple it's original price now.
Star wars fans. Srs bsnss.

I would love to buy one of those giant Lego sets. But I'd need a man cave to hide it in once I'd built it to ensure no little hands touch it.

dark10x said:
I've purchased a shit ton of retro stuff very recently. Haven't snapped many photos yet, but here's one of the acquisitions.

sfc.jpg

Jealous of the white PS2. I don't own a PS2 at all and never did, but if I came across a white model I'd snatch it up.

guest1321

glaurung said:
How are you liking the d-pad without the full disc affect? It looked pretty sweet but I wasn't able to justify the $65 for it. If you really notice a pleasing difference with it I might reconsider getting one.

glaurung

guest1321 said:
How are you liking the d-pad without the full disc affect? It looked pretty sweet but I wasn't able to justify the $65 for it. If you really notice a pleasing difference with it I might reconsider getting one.
To be brutally honest... It is not that great of an advancement. The idea behind the twist-able d-pad and how the setting change works is solid, but the problem arises from the shoddy craftsmanship preceding it.

The side walls of the d-pad circle no longer present an issue, but the sound that the d-pad makes is horrible. It truly feels like you are holding a very cheap device, the surface is unnecessarily slippery and when you let the d-pad go from an angle, it makes a horrid clank-clank sound. For comparison: the d-pad on the DS3 is completely silent. There are more problems: the range of pressing the d-pad down is still very big and it is hard to recognize when you are doing it on purpose.

All in all: it is a step in the right direction, but only a step. The new concave analog sticks are a surprising improvement, I must admit. Lessons learned from the GameCube controller, wink-wink.

guest1321

glaurung said:
To be brutally honest... It is not that great of an advancement. The idea behind the twist-able d-pad and how the setting change works is solid, but the problem arises from the shoddy craftsmanship preceding it.

The side walls of the d-pad circle no longer present an issue, but the sound that the d-pad makes is horrible. It truly feels like you are holding a very cheap device, the surface is unnecessarily slippery and when you let the d-pad go from an angle, it makes a horrid clank-clank sound. For comparison: the d-pad on the DS3 is completely silent. There are more problems: the range of pressing the d-pad down is still very big and it is hard to recognize when you are doing it on purpose.

All in all: it is a step in the right direction, but only a step. The new concave analog sticks are a surprising improvement, I must admit. Lessons learned from the GameCube controller, wink-wink.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it has a few quirks that need to be dealt with before I jump onboard. That being said, what do you mean by the concave analog sticks?

glaurung

guest1321 said:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it has a few quirks that need to be dealt with before I jump onboard. That being said, what do you mean by the concave analog sticks?
The original 360 controller had analog sticks with a relatively smooth surface, with four raised nubs in the principal directions. This was not the best solution, because the nubs got worn down - the northern-most first, then the others. This in turn made the analog sticks more slippery and the number of times you had to adjust the thumbs went up.

The new controller no longer has any nubs. Instead, it has a circular embossed area in the middle of the stick, with a raised edge going all the way around it. This is a much better approach in my book, because your thumb now rests on the edge itself and there is a lot more friction, meaning less adjustments and inherently better control. Time will show if the new surface gets worn down as well.

sikkinixx

moop2000 said:
IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

I fucking hate you so much.

EVEN MORE because you got it for $275.

Can I come over and build it with you? I'll bring some Orange Crush.

sikkinixx said:
I fucking hate you so much.

EVEN MORE because you got it for $275.

Can I come over and build it with you? I'll bring some Orange Crush.

I'm sorry. It's not going to be opened by me so hate me more.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Got these this week:

vpu69z.jpg

Target had SSFIV for PS3 in the bargain bin, so I grabbed it for just under $15. Also grabbed Back to the Future in sucky cheap 3 disc packaging for $15. Retail is $20. Told the dude in electronics that I read it was going to be $15 on Sunday and he went ahead and gave it to me for $15 today.

isny

napkin dispenser
No idea why I hadn't bought this sooner. Picked it up for about $6 shipped for a brand new copy =D

alnpxz.jpg

DXPett1

Before
59w71r.jpg

After
59w77z.jpg

Bonus!
Why show a TV off with Nature Docos or Action movies when you can have Mikie Hara instead
59w81e.jpg

59w837.jpg

Sony KDL40EX720 ^_^

lYIUN.jpg

Puzzle Bobble Universe. £12.99 on Amazon, couldn't resist. Classic :)

W3biz.jpg

Zelda LADX & Super Mario Land. Semi-pictured: Excitebike 3D Classic. Not pictured: Pokedex 3D.

seattle7997

Neo Member
DXPett1 said:
Before
59w71r.jpg

After
59w77z.jpg

Bonus!
Why show a TV off with Nature Docos or Action movies when you can have Mikie Hara instead
59w81e.jpg

59w837.jpg

Sony KDL40EX720 ^_^
Who's the girl in the third picture? She's gorgeous.

ripsa

Neo Member
dark10x said:

sfc.jpg

Nice. It'd be great to see the other other stuff. It's the retro items in these threads which always make them for me.

You've given me an urge to buy a white Saturn and Super Famicom!

Top Bottom