• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

Thank you :)

I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore and I definitely should have picked my wording more carefully... You never quite know which sentence a journalist might pick up on and might turn into a saucy headline that might infuriate fans of some platform.

This is the second time already that I took part in some discussion on GAF only to then see something I thought was a somewhat innocent comment (again, calling a platform half-assed definitely wasn't the nicest way of putting things, I know. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes my wording can come off as a bit rude) to blow up in my face after the press picked up on it. I'm just a dev who loves games and take part in these passionate discussions :)

Sorry if I offended anybody, wasn't my intention!

Don't worry about it all that much mate. You have to realize that it really isn't so much you rather just the fact that you are working for MS at the moment. This site is very heavily Sony biased. I've even seen the mods say as much. Thing is, people aren't taking the time to realize that this is a forum that you have been using to just chill and talk about games and stuff. I know you and know that you haven't been shilling or anything. It's sad that people's first reaction to a fellow human beings opinion of an inanimate object is to attack their character just because you are on the other team in their minds.

Only thing I know you could do to be able to just chill and talk about your hobby is to create an alt and don't say who you are. But I really don't like that idea and don't think you should have to do that.

I think the attacks on his character are fair. He doesn't sound professional at all even if what he's saying is eventually found to be true. Bashing the competition even if it is a rival looks bad and there's a reason other devs don't do it. He comes across as a console wars fanboy.

I've seen plenty of Sony fans themselves call the Pro half assed.

pastrami

Lol I would also want to naively see a decent dude get dog piled on by the vocal part of gaming side and in trouble by Microsoft for talking about something nobody has given any info about at all.

He had no problem engaging with people to defend his thought that the Scorpio is next-gen. What I'm asking is why his reasonings don't also apply to the PS4 Pro, because it seems like most, if not all, of what he said also applies to the PS4 Pro.

He had no problem engaging with people to defend his thought that the Scorpio is next-gen. What I'm asking is why his reasonings don't also apply to the PS4 Pro, because it seems like most, if not all, of what he said also applies to the PS4 Pro.

And you've also must of gathered why doing that regardless would still lead to a dog pile from most of the people a part of this thread. Should also look into how he has to explain this, gotta make it a little simple. To make this argument he has to explain why the pro is half assed of an upgrade (most won't listen just cause he had an exclusive game for Xbox one) and to make that argument sound he has to back it up with info from the Scorpio. Dude is in between a rock and a hard place and the smartest move to do what he suggested and to stay away from these threads.

Metfanant

Don't worry about it all that much mate. You have to realize that it really isn't so much you rather just the fact that you are working for MS at the moment. This site is very heavily Sony biased. I've even seen the mods say as much. Thing is, people aren't taking the time to realize that this is a forum that you have been using to just chill and talk about games and stuff. I know you and know that you haven't been shilling or anything. It's sad that people's first reaction to a fellow human beings opinion of an inanimate object is to attack their character just because you are on the other team in their minds.

Only thing I know you could do to be able to just chill and talk about your hobby is to create an alt and don't say who you are. But I really don't like that idea and don't think you should have to do that.

Wow...

Honest question for you...How is the PS4 Pro "half assed," and what could Sony have done differently that would have made it for lack of a better term "full assed?"

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And you've also must of gathered why doing that regardless would still lead to a dog pile from most of the people a part of this thread. Should also look into how he has to explain this, gotta make it a little simple. To make this argument he has to explain why the pro is half assed of an upgrade (most won't listen just cause he had an exclusive game for Xbox one) and to make that argument sound he has to back it up with info from the Scorpio. Dude is in between a rock and a hard place and the smartest move to do what he suggested and to stay away from these threads.
If he regrets the verbiage then he doesn't have to use it. Clearly the sentiment behind those words still exists and can be stated in other terms.

And to your other point: He can just contrast it against the already stated concepts of next-genness that Scorpio possesses without bringing up allegedly NDA'd Microsoft Ninja protected secrets.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Considering the jump in resolution, a console with 16x the power would only push about 4x graphical power per pixel. 2x if you you want a game that goes from 1080p 30fps to 4k 60fps.

This 1080p to 4k jump would make any new generation console seem middling.

A jump from 1080p to 4kHDR, even without added effects/details, would be staggering. Add more effects/details on top and it's just extra icing on the cake.

But as you say, if it takes 16 times the power, there's no way we'll see it this year or next, maybe in 3-4 at a reasonable console price. Which coincidentally is about right for a traditional 7-10 year console generation lifespan.

shandy706

I just realized something. He's saying the same thing about the PS4 Pro vs Scorpio that people said about the Xbox One vs PS4.

He's literally those Sony only fans (and heck..some 360 fans) that acted like the X1 was a sad attempt....and some of them are probably the really offended ones. That's hilarious.

I wouldn't have said it either time about either system...but..X-D

Wow...

Honest question for you...How is the PS4 Pro "half assed," and what could Sony have done differently that would have made it for lack of a better term "full assed?"

Wut? I never said anything on my opinion on the matter. Just saying that the dude should be allowed to have one without getting torn apart. Especially since I've seen numerous Gaffers say pretty much the same thing about the Pro and not get picked apart.

If I had to guess what Thomas meant I'd guess that he meant that the Pro was a half assed next gen console compared to what he thinks the Scorpio is going to be. Not that it was a half assed half step or whatever Sony meant it to be.

notaskwid

Wut? I never said anything on my opinion on the matter. Just saying that the dude should be allowed to have one without getting torn apart. Especially since I've seen numerous Gaffers say pretty much the same thing about the Pro and not get picked apart.

If I had to guess what Thomas meant I'd guess that he meant that the Pro was a half assed next gen console compared to what he thinks the Scorpio is going to be. Not that it was a half assed half step or whatever Sony meant it to be.
Good thing they aren't public known figures working for the competition.

how are people like you still not understanding what the problem here is ?

Guess what ? regular ole forum users can shit all over which console they want but wanna guess why they can ??

Because they aren't the fucking CEO/ game director of an exclusive IP MS owns. I don't know in what fucking reality should the public face of a company be shitting all over the competition and in the same breathe praising the console they work on exclusively.

by Thomas's own admission this isn't the first time he has done something like this

Thank you :)

I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore and I definitely should have picked my wording more carefully... You never quite know which sentence a journalist might pick up on and might turn into a saucy headline that might infuriate fans of some platform.

This is the second time already that I took part in some discussion on GAF only to then see something I thought was a somewhat innocent comment (again, calling a platform half-assed definitely wasn't the nicest way of putting things, I know. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes my wording can come off as a bit rude) to blow up in my face after the press picked up on it. I'm just a dev who loves games and take part in these passionate discussions :)

Sorry if I offended anybody, wasn't my intention!

Having read quite a few of your posts, I'm going to guess you meant exactly what you typed, and it wasn't a matter of something being lost in translation. Your grammar, syntax, and vocabulary all are fairly perfect, along with your use of common American English idioms. You've even got the classic American "sorry not sorry" sorry if I offended anyone apology down pat.

With that said, I don't think you should step back your comment or offer any apologies whatsoever. You espoused an opinion, which anyone is entitled to; you didn't try to pose anything as a fact. Why should you apologize for an opinion?

So you think the upcoming Scorpio is a great product while the Pro was a poor one. Why shouldn't you? I would hope any developer of a game on a single console would believe the same of that console. If a dev didn't think the console/platform they were developing for was the greatest, I'd ask why they weren't developing for the one they did think was the greatest.

The people who should be apologizing are the people in this thread who attacked your character. Attack the opinion, not the person is what I always say.

Dang dude. What is wrong with you? Learn to relax. You're on a videogame forum, not in ghetto court or whatever you think these exchanges are supposed to be.

Because they aren't the fucking CEO/ game director of an exclusive IP MS owns. I don't know in what fucking reality should the public face of a company be shitting all over the competition and in the same breathe praising the console they work on exclusively.
I guess not everyone can comprehend this. Maybe he is just roleplaying his Seinfeld avatar and blowing a fuse and freaking out about everything.

Good thing they aren't public known figures working for the competition.

how are people like you still not understanding what the problem here is ?

Guess what ? regular ole forum users can shit all over which console they want but wanna guess why they can ??

by Thomas's own admission this isn't the first time he has done something like this

Why does it hurt you so much what his opinion is?

Metfanant

I just realized something. He's saying the same thing about the PS4 Pro vs Scorpio that people said about the Xbox One vs PS4.

He's literally those Sony only fans that acted like the X1 was a sad attempt....and they're probably the really offended ones. That's hilarious.

I wouldn't have said it either time about either system...but..X-D

I don't think either console was half assed at the start of this gen, and I don't think either the Pro or Scorpio is half assed...

I think MS seriously misjudged the market, and their hardware "strength" suffered because of it...I also feel that MS was caught off guard by the PS4 to an extent, and rushed their "vision" to market and that led to the disastrous mixed messaging around launch...

I think the Pro is a great value and was pretty close to the limit of what was available to Sony from a hardware perspective considering the $399 price point they seemed to want to hit...

The Scorpio is about what I would expect a console released a year after the Pro to look like...And should also be a great value (depending on what price point it hits)...

shandy706

I agree, lol. It's like he insulted someone's mom.

Time to forgive and forget..move on, LOL.

I don't think either console was half assed at the start of this gen, and I don't think either the Pro or Scorpio is half assed...

I think MS seriously misjudged the market, and their hardware "strength" suffered because of it...I also feel that MS was caught off guard by the PS4 to an extent, and rushed their "vision" to market and that led to the disastrous mixed messaging around launch...

I think the Pro is a great value and was pretty close to the limit of what was available to Sony from a hardware perspective considering the $399 price point they seemed to want to hit...

The Scorpio is about what I would expect a console released a year after the Pro to look like...And should also be a great value (depending on what price point it hits)...

I agree with this too.

Dang dude. What is wrong with you? Learn to relax. You're on a videogame forum, not in ghetto court or whatever you think these exchanges are supposed to be.

I guess not everyone can comprehend this. Maybe he is just roleplaying his Seinfeld avatar and blowing a fuse and freaking out about everything.

I am relaxed. The guy is clearly immature and I pointed that out. Not sure what the issue is, but carry on.

you seem to be taking this really personally come here i will give you a shoulder to cry on.

You seem to be taking the dude's opinion personally. You went so far as to attack his character and then proceeded to spout off shit about dildos in your ass. Fuck it though, I'm out.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seeing people like Schreier try to bag on Gamespot for direct quoting the dude is pretty hilarious considering their own reputation.

No twisting of words occurred. Thomas said that. A lesson in maybe not conducting yourself like that but certainly no need for the "this is why game developers don't like to speak!!" wounded bird garbage.

Metfanant

My point is simply, I would love to be provided with a reasoning for why the Pro should be considered half assed?

Your guess however holds no water...The Pro can't be a half assed "next gen" console, because Sony has gone way out of their way to make it crystal clear that the Pro is not a next gen console...It would be like me saying the Toyota Prius is a half assed sports car...

notaskwid

It doesn't hurt one bit. I'm just pointing out why it is an issue that he makes this sort of comments and why people are making articles out of them.
They are also incorrect, there is no full blown new gen being started by Scorpio, at least with the information we have.
If he has more information then he should reveal it or not say anything at all.

My point is simply, I would love to be provided with a reasoning for why the Pro should be considered half assed?

Your guess however holds no water...The Pro can't be a half assed "next gen" console, because Sony has gone way out of their way to make it crystal clear that the Pro is not a next gen console...It would be like me saying the Toyota Prius is a half assed sports car...

Yeah, I know, but if in your mind, if you where comparing the two as next gen consoles, then that would make sense.

Regardless, I've heard a lot of people say they wish there where more power in the Pro to do true native 4K in more games and that they wish it didn't still run on nearly the same CPU or that they wish it had a 4K Blue Ray drive and so on. There are many things that you won't agree with that to others would qualify it as being half assed. But that's why these are just opinions.

It doesn't hurt one bit. I'm just pointing out why it is an issue that he makes this sort of comments and why people are making articles out of them.
They are also incorrect, there is no full blown new gen being started by Scorpio, at least with the information we have.

It was an opinion. To my knowledge he never stated or claimed that these things where fact. It's not his fault that half assed websites picked up the story.

Why is he not allowed to opine in regards to what he believes is next gen? If you ask 10 people you'll get at least 5 different opinions of what next gen means.

shandy706

fad0ee6f06b46afbcbe8bac71546be869df564e2d45dd6b2f603d2951152caef.jpg

RedRum

Banned
People will always be hurt when someone else says something nrgative about their console of choice. It's his opinion that he thinks a console is half-assed and if you don't agree with it then that's fine. However, I don't think it's fair to call the guy pathetic, disgrace, etc. Everyone, including Sony, has taken their pot shots against MS this generation which evolves into jokes and memes. It makes no difference if the guy says his opinion straight up and someone else does it passive aggressively or jokingly.

bigjig

Isn't the power difference between the Pro and the supposed Scorpio specs the same as the PS4 to the Xbone? Is the PS4 a generational leap over the Xbone too?

Isn't the power difference between the Pro and the supposed Scorpio specs the same as the PS4 to the Xbone? Is the PS4 a generational leap over the Xbone too?

If approximately 40% increase in processing power is your sole determinant for what separates next gen then yes why not?

it always amazes me how people are so biased towards a specific company that they're terrified another company might be coming out with an awesome console. oh no, the scorpio might be awesome. the horror....

btw i have a ps4 pro

Superstar? Because I'm disliked by a particular group of people? Please.
Let me know when someone deserving respect complains about my posts.

You state what a lot of people think on here and most (including me) never outright say it. Superstar in my eyes. Especially when there should be penalties for judging other posters character on here for a small jab.

notaskwid

Why is he not allowed to opine in regards to what he believes is next gen? If you ask 10 people you'll get at least 5 different opinions of what next gen means.
Last time I checked console generations are hardly a matter of opinion. Unless when taking crap shots at Nintendos underpowered hardware.

Oh my such uptightness.

Indeed, your highness. The peasants surrounding you are simply not worthy of your consideration!
On the topic : Why is that opinion so controversial again? It might very well be true, and MS could be launching what is essentially their next-gem system. It makes absolute sense that they would be more inclined to offer a bigger technological jump that Sony. Didn't Phil speak to the end of the generational approach as we know it? Well, in that case, and assuming that the PS4-Pro is just a companion to the vanilla model until the PS5 comes out, it would appear that Scorpio is, in essence, what MS considers a next-gen console by their own definition.

I don't care what his opinion is

I was pointing out how unprofessional his was post and how and it is in direct conflict of what everyone at MS has been saying for almost a year now.

Thomas could have easily cleared this bullshit up lickety–split sometime between yesterday and now but yet here we are after 2 thread that have gone 80+ pages and game media picking up on it and Thomas still chooses not to clarify his response.

I am relaxed. The guy is clearly immature and I pointed that out. Not sure what the issue is, but carry on.

You seem to be taking the dude's opinion personally. You went so far as to attack his character and then proceeded to spout off shit about dildos in your ass. Fuck it though, I'm out.

what the fuck are you babbling about ?

You came in hot last page throwing insults at me before i even responded to you, but i am the immature piece of shit troll ? as you put it ?

get the fuck out of here bruh

Metfanant

Yeah, I know, but if in your mind, if you where comparing the two as next gen consoles, then that would make sense.

Regardless, I've heard a lot of people say they wish there where more power in the Pro to do true native 4K in more games and that they wish it didn't still run on nearly the same CPU or that they wish it had a 4K Blue Ray drive and so on. There are many things that you won't agree with that to others would qualify it as being half assed. But that's why these are just opinions.

But you can't do that! You can't compare things "in your mind" one way, when those products are not designed or marketed as such...

I cant say...

"Well if you look at this banana as a pineapple it makes a pretty half assed pineapple"

It just doesn't work that way lol...

As for what you've heard other people say about the Pro's hardware...

- where is the power supposed to come from? Sony is already using unreleased GPU tech from beyond Polaris in the GPU...

- where is the CPU supposed to come from? AMD doesn't even have a CPU on the market that Sony could have even used! The "nearly the same CPU" is the ONLY option they had unless they wanted to wait AT LEAST a year...And it looks like Scorpio may be stuck with the same "nearly the same" CPU a whole year later...What was Sony supposed to do back in November of 2016?

People who say "the Pro should have used a different CPU" or "it should have had more power" just simply don't know what they are talking about...It's not their opinion, they just don't have a clue...

It's not like Sony would have had the option of just deciding to use an i7 CPU and a discreet GPU...They built the pro with THE BEST available CPU and a GPU that is using features not even available in other GPUs yet...

And the same goes for MS...If Scorpio launches with a Jaguar based CPU it's not because they WANTED to run with a weak CPU...But because they were limited by what was available to them...

You can't call something half assed when it's using the only viable solution...If AMD had come to Sony and said "We could build you an APU using Zen, and Sony had said "No thanks, Jaguar is good enough" then you would have an argument...But that's just not reality...Jaguar was Sony's ONE AND ONLY option...

Literally the only area I would agree with is the UHD Blu-ray drive. I think it should be there...but even then...Sony isn't even selling a stand alone player to consumers yet so I can see why they didn't feel the need for the Pro to have one...

Elandyll

Banned
If approximately 40% increase in processing power is your sole determinant for what separates next gen then yes why not?
This thread...

I guess time is acceletating and about to loop on itself though.

PS4 has 40%+ power and VR which makes it next gen vs XB1, PS4pro has 4.2TF & 4kpr which is another gen, and Scorpio will have 6TF & true 4K which is yet another gen.

3 gens in 4 years...

What wonderful times we live in! ;)

Edit: wonder if Switch is an intermediary gen in between.. Would make 4 gens in 4 years. I like neat equations.

I don't care what his opinion is

I was pointing out how unprofessional his was post and how and it is in direct conflict of what everyone at MS has been saying for almost a year now.

Thomas could have easily cleared this bullshit up lickety–split sometime between yesterday and now but yet here we are after 2 thread that have gone 80+ pages and game media picking up on it and Thomas still chooses not to clarify his response.

what the fuck are you babbling about ?

You came in hot last page throwing insults at me before i even responded to you, but i am the immature piece of shit troll ? as you put it ?

get the fuck out of here bruh

Yeah, I insulted you for attacking the dude's character.

Then you dropped the "I like dildos in my ass, fight me nerd" bullshit. Sounds like a troll to me.

Scorpio would be a 5x increase over the previous console, if its truly a successor than that would be the worst jump in performance ever by a console not named Nintendo. If I were MS I wouldn't call it a next gen console.

PS4 vanilla to XB1 comparisons don't hold water, stop trying to make them. They were released same year that PS4 had a 40% power advantage AND a 100 cheaper price tag. MS deserved all it got, of course Scorpio is going to be more powerful than Pro a year later. That's not impressive.

Bullshit. Thomas deserves to have his credibility /character questioned because of his post and lack of follow up to said post.

How many other CEO's / game directors / devs do you see on social media/forums shitting on the competition while praising the console that they work on exclusively ?

No ones saying that

This is sad

It's not that serious. It's video games. I bet you didn't have a problem with Sony taking a few jabs at the start of the generation.

wapplew

Scorpio would be a 5x increase over the previous console, if its truly a successor than that would be the worst jump in performance ever by a console not named Nintendo. If I were MS I wouldn't call it a next gen console.

PS4 vanilla to XB1 comparisons don't hold water, stop trying to make them. They were released same year that PS4 had a 40% power advantage AND a 100 cheaper price tag. MS deserved all it got, of course Scorpio is going to be more powerful than Pro a year later. That's not impressive.

Doesn't matter how much power jump, they will call it next gen in some shape of form because calling something next gen bring excitement.
Tech companies use this all the time, AMD call their GPU next gen, Nvidia call their mobile chip next gen, hell sometimes they use "next gen" on rebranded graphic cards.

ResoRai

To be fair he said "kinda" lol.

Who knows, maybe he thought Sony should've waited to release the Pro at the end of this year like MS for more powerfull hardware and for better performing 4k games.
Not saying I really agree with him, but I could see that pov, and I have seen people here who kind of feel the same way. Should've chosen his words more carefully tho.

Since these consoles are here, I personally don't really care about their release time, so long as they are good at what they're supposed to do.

ganaconda

But you can't do that! You can't compare things "in your mind" one way, when those products are not designed or marketed as such...

I cant say...

"Well if you look at this banana as a pineapple it makes a pretty half assed pineapple"

It just doesn't work that way lol...

As for what you've heard other people say about the Pro's hardware...

- where is the power supposed to come from? Sony is already using unreleased GPU tech from beyond Polaris in the GPU...

- where is the CPU supposed to come from? AMD doesn't even have a CPU on the market that Sony could have even used! The "nearly the same CPU" is the ONLY option they had unless they wanted to wait AT LEAST a year...And it looks like Scorpio may be stuck with the same "nearly the same" CPU a whole year later...What was Sony supposed to do back in November of 2016?

People who say "the Pro should have used a different CPU" or "it should have had more power" just simply don't know what they are talking about...It's not their opinion, they just don't have a clue...

It's not like Sony would have had the option of just deciding to use an i7 CPU and a discreet GPU...They built the pro with THE BEST available CPU and a GPU that is using features not even available in other GPUs yet...

And the same goes for MS...If Scorpio launches with a Jaguar based CPU it's not because they WANTED to run with a weak CPU...But because they were limited by what was available to them...

You can't call something half assed when it's using the only viable solution...If AMD had come to Sony and said "We could build you an APU using Zen, and Sony had said "No thanks, Jaguar is good enough" then you would have an argument...But that's just not reality...Jaguar was Sony's ONE AND ONLY option...

Literally the only area I would agree with is the UHD Blu-ray drive. I think it should be there...but even then...Sony isn't even selling a stand alone player to consumers yet so I can see why they didn't feel the need for the Pro to have one...

Completely agree with the points you make. The one thing I would say is in either case, PS4 Pro or Scorpio, that if the end product is deemed to be not powerful enough by the respective company based on what is available, then why not wait until a sufficient product can be made as a result of better parts being available?

There's definitely a balance between getting the best product out and not being too late to market (as well as other factors), but "some" people who criticize these companies could be coming at it from this point of view rather than just assuming that the company skimped (which is probably the majority sadly).

Top Bottom