• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

OneUh8

PS4 pro is supposed to be a stop gap console. It's supposed to be half assed. Sony isn't as dumb as Microsoft and made it clear from day 1 that there will be no exclusives on the pro. They understand how important generations are to the industry.

This 6tflop console is only 3x more powerful than the ps4 and 4x more powerful than the x1. I have no fucking idea how that is a generational leap.

I mean the video card I bought last year is more powerful on paper than the Scorpio that doesn't even come out until the fall. I agree, there is no generational leap. Just throw some more effects and higher resolution. If that is a generational leap then so be it.

kadotsu

Banned
Next gen console would mean that all Scorpio game wouldn't play on vanilla XB1. If MS really does this then they have successfully created their own Dreamcast.

Aleh

If it's true maybe it's because they know Sony won't launch a PS5 for a while since they just released the Pro. Get a head start and make the PS4 look old? I don't know.

Hoje0308

Banned
So Mahler is basically saying that there will be exclusive games for it, which is in direct contrast to MS's messaging.

I love when gaming sites report on posts like this.

I had found it and posted it at the same time as you, haha.

Yeah, just noticed that. Thread is moving fast.

Kthulhu

More like a pc. The new xbox consoles will treat generations in gaming the same way pc does. With stronger hardware and forward/backwards compatibility.

Great, now we can double down on turning consoles into shit PCs. /s

I guess Valve will be happy with all the new people who are leaving the console space.

More like a pc. The new xbox consoles will treat generations in gaming the same way pc does. With stronger hardware and forward/backwards compatibility.

Basically this.

I think there's some semantic confusion going on here (along with a fair bit of salt). The man's not talking about a "new generation" in the sense that it's a cutting-off point for software, but rather in terms of a generational hardware leap, which, taking the post as a whole, would seem to be his expectation for every new "generation" moving forward.

What an ugly and redundant sentence. Anyway, in terms of raw power, if the specs were to be believed, it was obviously a generational leap from the Xbone and base PS4.

Not at all .
The ram not even 2 times the amount of PS4.
Then in flops it's less than 4 times the amount .

ResoRai

But the leaked document that DF discussed mentioned that the base game has to run on the XO. If that was the case, then it's not a next gen system. Also the lack of a CPU upgrade will significantly limit what it can do with games. At this point we won't be seeing any advanced CPU workloads if it's truly next gen.
That was DF speculating. We still don't know what it will be, but there is a good chance it will still be the same cpu.
Hope not. Hope they work out some saucy goodness.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
As I've said many many times, MS are going to try and manufacture a victory. They'll try to run with two narratives: One will be that the Scorpio is 'backward compatible' which leaves the door open for the second which will be 'The Scorpio leads next generation.' They can't win this gen so they're going to try and confuse the lines knowing full well that their fans will go either way willingly.

bubumiao

All Wii games can be played on the Wii U, is it not a next gen console compared to the Wii? Incoming, b-but power.

But all Xbox One games can be played on Scorpio, so no.

It won't have exclusive games that harness the full power and nothing suggest it is a full new generation. This would contradict everything MS has said and quite frankly they'll get tons of shit for it.

Not the same thing.

You can't play Wii U games on a Wii.

You can (supposedly) play all Xbox One games on Xbox One, the S, and Scorpio.

See the bold stuff.

lt519

Thomas hope you've continued work on the top down Zelda/dark souls clone. That demo was a lot of fun.

But I'd probably buy a Scorpio of Ori 2 was exclusive to it :)

Hoje0308

Banned
PS4 pro is supposed to be a stop gap console. It's supposed to be half assed. Sony isn't as dumb as Microsoft and made it clear from day 1 that there will be no exclusives on the pro. They understand how important generations are to the industry.

This 6tflop console is only 3x more powerful than the ps4 and 4x more powerful than the x1. I have no fucking idea how that is a generational leap.

Good to see the warriors noticed the smoke signals and rushed in.

guek

Banned
I don't think Scorpio is going to work out as well as MS hopes. I'm what gaf would call a "crazy person" though since I think the Switch is going to outsell it this holiday...

ZOONAMI

I mean the video card I bought last year is more powerful on paper than the Scorpio that doesn't even come out until the fall. I agree, there is no generational leap. Just throw some more effects and higher resolution. If that is a generational leap then so be it.

Consoles are done using state of the art gpus because they then could not hit a sub $600 price point. It's not that hard to understand.

Scorpio is likely running a mid-range vega chip, not a top of the line vega architecture that will cost north of $500 just for the discrete GPU.

The console manufacturers have realized that the market that wants the best tech and graphics will spend the money to build a PC, and have realized they won't move a lot of volume starting off and their margins will be terrible launching a $600 console, and it still won't compete with a high end PC gpu. GPU tech has really advanced quite dramatically since PS3/360, and the prices have gone along with it.

SOR5

As I've said many many times, MS are going to try and manufacture a victory. They'll try to run with two narratives: One will be that the Scorpio is 'backward compatible' which leaves the door open for the second which will be 'The Scorpio leads next generation.' They can't win this gen so they're going to try and confuse the lines knowing full well that their fans will go either way willingly.

Or instead of being more concerned with psychological warfare for the Gamefaqs audience they could just be trying to make a commercially successful product and ecosystem

I don't think Scorpio is going to work out as well as MS hopes. I'm what gaf would call a "crazy person" though since I think the Switch is going to outsell it this holiday...

It's probably more likely Scorpio will be a niche product that won't sell much like the Pro, so doubt many would call you crazy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
He later said the console wouldn’t be like the PS4 Pro which he called a “half-assed upgrade”

dayyum shots fired xD
why even say this?

I mean with its current spec it certainly could be in comparison to the original Xbone.

Problem is that CPU. As long as they are still running Jaguar (which they are) it's going to significantly hold back just how much devs can do

Astral Dog

I haven't followed it, so we're basically getting 8x increase in CPU, 8x increase in GPU, 8x increase in memory like it was on average before in console transitions?
Except we didn't got 8x CPU or 8x GPU on Xbox One this generation dummy.PS4 neither got the CPUpgrade,consoles are changing,transforming,evolving.o.o

statham

4 extra GB of fast ram, 3.5 times the power of PS4, 4.5 times the XBO, 320 bandwith. 45% more powerful then the Pro in GPU alone. even with a Jag CPU, this is powerful.

Bsigg12

I mean with its current spec it certainly could be in comparison to the original Xbone.

Problem is that CPU. As long as they are still running Jaguar (which they are) it's going to significantly hold back just how much devs can do

We don't know this. The Eurogamer leak didn't prove one way or another on what the CPU actually is. I'm not saying it's Ryzen, I just doubt it would be Jaguar.

univbee

4 extra GB of fast ram, 3.5 times the power of PS4, 4.5 times the XBO, 320 bandwith. 45% more powerful then the Pro in GPU alone. even with a Jag CPU, this is powerful.

Doing the math with Jaguar is a recipe for success, for sure.

1KzosQw.png

longdi

Banned
I asked the following in the other thread. Somehow I always felt MS Spencer has been careful and cryptic with his words on Scorpio. I'm not surprised if they will blur the lines from this point on.

Makes no sense for them to follow Sony route despite their talk about Scoprio exclusive games

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

EG: Given the power of the Scorpio, should it be considered a refresh of the Xbox One, or are we looking at, actually, the next-generation of what you are doing in terms of console? Is that actually the fair assessment of it?

PS: drone drone drone...something about forward and backward compatible....drone drone.. And we'll have launch Scorpio games as well that are playable on an Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio and look great on all three of them
So what is a Scorpio 'launch game'? XB1 games can play on Scorpio, Scorpio can play XB1 games. What about future Scorpio games?

EG: With Scorpio you're introducing the idea of people playing online together and against each other in competitive multiplayer, one person perhaps on Scorpio and one on Xbox One. If the Scorpio enables such things as better framerate, won't that give the Scorpio user a competitive advantage in certain games?

PS: drone drone drone...something about a game at 1080p/60, needs to be 60 if developers do 4K.
So what about native 1080p/30? Will Scorpio makes it 1080p/60 for the competitive advantage?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Except we didn't got 8x CPU or 8x GPU on Xbox One this generation dummy.PS4 neither got the CPUpgrade,consoles are changing,transforming,evolving.o.o
wtf

8x seems like a good approximation to me over the history of consoles.

Shock32

He later said the console wouldn’t be like the PS4 Pro which he called a “half-assed upgrade”

dayyum shots fired xD
why even say this?

B/c there's only enough "beef" in the pro for half an ass. Scorpio is packing so much beef its gonna go "full ass".

I see it like upgrading from a GTX 970 to a 1070. Games are the same. The performance is the difference. They are basically selling you Steam-like boxes from this point forward.

Top Bottom