• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Abu Ghraib photos, oh oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roi

How Good People Turn Evil, From Stanford to Abu Ghraib
By Kim Zetter Email 02.28.08 | 12:00 AM

Monterey, California -- Psychologist Philip Zimbardo has seen good people turn evil, and he thinks he knows why.

Zimbardo will speak Thursday afternoon at the TED conference, where he plans to illustrate his points by showing a three-minute video, obtained by Wired.com, that features many previously unseen photographs from the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq (disturbing content).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

Some really really disturbing images here (NSFW)....
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/multimedia/2008/02/gallery_abu_ghraib

Wes

venison crêpe
Holy crap at the woman doing a thumbs up next to, what looks like, a charred corpse.

Fucking humanity man.

way more

I had no idea Philip Zimbardo was even alive let alone still active in psychology. I guess he also had a part in the trial and I imagine his speech at TED tell us what he said during.

Xavien

From the wikipedia article:

The "prison" itself was in the basement of the Stanford Psychology Department, which had been converted into a mock jail. David Jaffe, an undergraduate research assistant was the "warden" and Zimbardo the "superintendent". Zimbardo set up a number of specific conditions on the participants which he hoped would promote disorientation, depersonalization and deindividuation.

...wat?

Also those pictures are extremely disturbing, i can't figure out why people would be smiling and joking around while doing that.

Or even doing it at all.

AniHawk

Xavien said:
Also those pictures are extremely disturbing, i can't figure out why people would be smiling and joking around while doing that.

War fucks people up and some of those people were fucked up to begin with.

Had we already seen some of these? Not all of them are new I'm sure of it.

In any case, its fucking disgusting. What a bunch of fucking morons.

Xavien said:

Or even doing it at all.
These people are taught to dehumanise the enemy and strip them of their humanity. What did you expect would happen?

MaddenNFL64

Am i seeing shit in the first one? Maybe it's cuz they covered the guys penis with a filter, but... did he get his dick cut off?

Xavien

Napoleonthechimp said:
These people are taught to dehumanise the enemy and strip them of their humanity. What did you expect would happen?

So what we are left with is an army full of amoral psychopaths, that's a scary thought.

lexi

Banned
Bes (worst) scandal of the last decade, imo, and it's a pretty tight contest with the whole Valerie Plame thing.

Kibbles

That's too fucked up. :( Not right... not right. I hope Obama can stop this, when he becomes president. Man, I can't believe that... I'm never joining the Army.

Crusade

MaddenNFL64 said:
Am i seeing shit in the first one? Maybe it's cuz they covered the guys penis with a filter, but... did he get his dick cut off?
Nah probably just typical American thinking. Seeing a guy tortured is fine, make sure you pixelate that penis though...That's offensive afterall

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Xavien said:
I guess, but I'm more thinking about when they come home.

Do you really thing any army executive from any country gives a fuck? I'm disturbed the same as you are about this shit... but that's the way the world is spinning!

Borys

Banned
Soldiers never change people.

Nazi camps, Vietcong camps, Abu Gharib camp.

Same old shit with a different name and sauce.

Borys

Banned
Fucking redneck trash.

abu10.jpg

Fucking waste of air.

MaddenNFL64

Crusade said:
Nah probably just typical American thinking. Seeing a guy tortured is fine, make sure you pixelate that penis though...That's offensive afterall

Yeah, i'm hoping that's it as well. Just that bloody object in the lower center of the picture, then the covered groin area has me going "Oh shit...". :p

I wonder why most of those prisoners are stil even in Abu Ghraib? At least the foreign fighters they captured in Afghanastan could be sent back there for execution.

Gowans

Im outraged
every single living American should be ashamed of what their country is doing.

These validate warcrimes.

disgusting

{Mike}

Banned
I think every soldier implied into these kinds of camps should be lined up and executed with a shotgun. But there's one thing though, almost all countries do the same and you just don't know, so even if you blame USA, Russia, France, Japan, they sure have camps too, especially Russia, where such atrocities are commited daily.

Gowans

{Mike} said:
But there's one thing though, almost all countries do the same and you just don't know, so even if you blame USA, Russia, France, Japan, they sure have camps too, especially Russia, where such atrocities are commited daily.

oh s some other people do it so that makes it ok?

{Mike} said:
almost all countries do the same and you just don't know

no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom