• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa 3 (PS4/Vita) Announced

chiimisu

I said right there in the post I'm not forcing the issue. Is it THAT big a deal that I asked?

No, but I think it's obvious it's pretty early to ask for this at that point. It's not even a month since the western release. And it'd be not very nice if newcomers interested in series were spoiled in the reveal thread. Sorry if I came off as rude

Actually, anyone think the cast might be the survivors of DR1 and DR2 thrown into a final killing game? The bit where they mentioned Togami got me thinking, since I dunno if they'd bring him back as a veteran among an entirely new cast again.

pls no sonia and asahina would never survive another game ;_;

Can anyone count a number of seats in the trailer? It seemed to me that there were a lot more than usual number. I don't know if this hints on something, or just Kodaka playing with us.

Edit: Ah, it's the same as usual. Ah well :/

jrcbandit

On one hand it's great the third game's going to be on a console people actually own, on the other hand my Vita has more or less been a Danganronpa machine for over a year now.

It's a vague trailer but Kurakuma and Shirokuma were some of the better parts of Despair Girls' plot so I'm still pumped.

Hah, same here. my Vita has only been used for Danganronpa games for quite a while now. Not sure if I want to continue the trend or go PS4.

yami4ct

Hopefully, they're a big part of what makes the series' stories so endearing.

Haven't played AR, but if they do it in the same kind of fashion as DR2, I kind of don't want it. That part of the end made DR2 feel really cheap and I really did not care for it.

I hope so too! But there seems to be a decent amount of folks that would rather it never happen again.

I figure she's got at least one more appearance guaranteed (for the record, I don't think DR3 is the last game in the series unless it totally bombs). I love her, and wouldn't mind seeing her again, but it will get old if she is always the twist at the end.

FluxWaveZ

Hopefully, they're a big part of what makes the series' stories so endearing.

I hope so too! But there seems to be a decent amount of folks that would rather it never happen again.

Wouldn't you guys prefer that Danganronpa keeps things fresh instead of having to tread old ground over, and over, and over again just for the sake of fanservice?

If anything, this is what I see being the series' potential downfall. People who couldn't get over certain characters or events from previous games and need them present throughout every single entry in the series, bringing about a superficial level of enjoyment to established fans while throwing out novelty.

Agreed.

Time for a fresh approach!

There are certainly a lot of possibilities that I'm sure those who have finished AE can imagine.

Wouldn't you guys prefer that Danganronpa keeps things fresh instead of having to tread old ground over, and over, and over again just for the sake of fanservice?

They can tread new ground with this character. It doesn't have to be as beat for beat as it was.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I so hope that the third game will get a Vita release in the west, too. I don't have a PS4, but even if I did I very much prefer playing visual novels in the bed, on the throne and on the go.

Possibly, but it's doing pretty great on just the Vita in the west too, so I think it's more just a general audience expansion.

Which is also good. This is a series that deserves a bigger audience. I want to see it surpass AA as the most mainstream visual novel franchise out there.

yami4ct

Certainly. I also want to see some of the old cast come back so we can get a good look at their development. It would be a real shame if we
Didn't see what happened to the DR1 staff and where they go from the brief glimpse in DR2 or didn't get more of Nagito. He's got way more story to be told than what we got in DR2.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't want them back not just because I like fresh blood, I don't want them back precisely because I like them.
Dragging Junko out constantly when she is literally always guaranteed to lose does nothing but discredit her and reduce her to the equivalent of a bad Saturday morning cartoon villain. It'd actually go back and damage her credibility in the previous games.

I don't mind a villain who was inspired by her, but she's gotta stay gone.

Not fresh enough IMO.

What you're presumably referring to was one of the aspects I didn't like about AE.

Monaca? As others have said, that seems a little too obvious. I don't doubt that she'll make an appearance, have some involvement or at the very least get referenced, but it seems too easy to expect her to be the main villain in the next game.

kiryogi

Banned

If anything, this is what I see being the series' potential downfall. People who couldn't get over certain characters or events from previous games and need them present throughout every single entry in the series, bringing about a superficial level of enjoyment to established fans while throwing out novelty.

There is that, but they also established at this point that
Monokuma is Junko

FluxWaveZ

They can tread new ground with this character. It doesn't have to be as beat for beat as it was.

If I understand who you're talking about, this isn't what I am. I'm speaking of the people who would straight up want
Junko Enoshima back.

Plus, if that character you're implying was (DR:AE Spoilers)
just a clone in everything but looks, I would be against it. Monaca was different enough from Junko.

There is that, but they also established at this point that
Monokuma is Junko

Kodaka says this, yeah. And this is something I and others very much disagree with. If that's the route he wants to take, so be it. But his games will suffer as a result.

kulapik

The other Danganronpas look great but I'm such a wimp and, reading the description for the previous games, I think I wouldn't be able to handle the punishments, so I haven't played them :|

FluxWaveZ

Certainly. I also want to see some of the old cast come back so we can get a good look at their development. It would be a real shame if we
Didn't see what happened to the DR1 staff and where they go from the brief glimpse in DR2 or didn't get more of Nagito. He's got way more story to be told than what we got in DR2.

Then play Danganronpa: Another Episode. Or, if you did, we don't need more than that, lest we just revel in the stories and characters of past games without moving forward.

Kinsei

Banned
The other Danganronpas look great but I'm such a wimp and, reading the description for the previous games, I think I wouldn't be able to handle the punishments, so I haven't played them :|

The blood is pink if that helps. You could also always just close your eyes during the punishment cutscenes. They don't have any dialogue in them.

If I understand who you're talking about, this isn't what I am. I'm speaking of the people who would straight up want
Junko Enoshima back.

Plus, if that character you're implying was (DR:AE Spoilers)
just a clone in everything but looks, I would be against it. Monaca was different enough from Junko.

Kodaka says this, yeah. And this is something I and others very much disagree with. If that's the route he wants to take, so be it. But his games will suffer as a result.

Okay. My non-spoiler speak was confusing.
I was saying that Junko returning doesn't have to be beat-for-beat what it was in DR2. Wasn't talking at all about Monaca. They could have Junko win and achieve her goal like halfway through the game or something. Doesn't have to be just she shows up in chapter 5 and loses.

yami4ct

The murders can get a bit violent, but the punishments are all done is such an over the top cartoon style that they aren't even remotely gory or scary.

Then play Danganronpa: Another Episode.

I'm really interested to check out that aspect. Will definitely grab it after I finish MGSV. I just really want to see them
take him post DR2. I think there are places they can go with him after that game that should be explored. He needs some sort of conclusion.

TP

Man, I still remember the first punishment in the first game
I had to put the vita down and take a breather

But it wasn't long before I was desensitized to the violence
the later ones aren't as graphic

chiimisu

Which is why I'd have no problem with them scrapping
Monokuma at this point. Problem is he's the face of the franchise and you really can't do that :(

Can't they give him
self-conciousness
, for example? I don't know how it'd work, but there are probably some ways. (Haven't played AE yet)

I mean, given how (DR2/DRAE spoilers)
creatively she was worked into those respective games' plots
, I don't think they necessarily have to retread the same ground for a third game in that respect, nor would I want them to. It's just they're an incredibly entertaining part of the series and the potential replacement DR:AE shows us isn't nearly as entertaining.

Plus I get the impression Spike Chunsoft see Monokuma
as being intrinsically linked to Junko, and there's no way in hell they'd get rid of the series' mascot for a mainline entry.
Another Episode (arguably) did so and I feel like it suffered quite a bit for it.

Monaca? As others have said, that seems a little too obvious. I don't doubt that she'll make an appearance, have some involvement or at the very least get referenced, but it seems too easy to expect her to be the main villain in the next game.
I'm hoping that she makes a brief appearance but is quickly snuffed out by the real big bad. Or that they go in a totally opposite direction and she actually comes back reformed.

I'm generally not into horror/gore at all, and I was completely fine playing this series. It's more a constant uneasy feeling as opposed to something in your face.

If you can make it through the first case of DR1, which is probably the most out and out shocking when it comes to violence, then you'll be fine.

Moonlight

Banned
I would absolutely be okay
with a Junko fakeout or a way that preys on certain expectations the series has trained us into her regarding her. I really don't think she should be the main villain of the game again.

FluxWaveZ

Okay. My non-spoiler speak was confusing.
I was saying that Junko returning doesn't have to be beat-for-beat what it was in DR2. Wasn't talking at all about Monaca. They could have Junko win and achieve her goal like halfway through the game or something. Doesn't have to be just she shows up in chapter 5 and loses.

Then I am vehemently against this. Enough with
that character.
I loved them in Danganronpa Zero, but I have absolutely no need to see them ever return to this franchise again outside of having
directly influenced someone else.

There's really only one execution among both games that's visually fucked up and not fucked up by implication like all the other ones, and that one execution is a leftover from when the game was supposed to be even darker.

That being said, Another Episode is super fucked up and is tough to handle for a lot of people.

Can't they give him
self-conciousness
, for example? I don't know how it'd work, but there are probably some ways.

They basically did it with
Alter Ego, Monomi/Usami and Chiaki, so it's certainly possible. That said, I personally think part of the fun of Monokuma is trying to guess who is controlling him.

It's very easy to continue the series without Junko but still retain Monokuma. Junko has left her mark on the world, having other people use Monokuma to spread despair isn't totally impossible.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, given how (DR2/DRAE spoilers)
creatively she was worked into those respective games' plots
, I don't think they necessarily have to retread the same ground for a third game in that respect, nor would I want them to. It's just they're an incredibly entertaining part of the series and the potential replacement DR:AE shows us isn't nearly as entertaining.

Plus I get the impression Spike Chunsoft see Monokuma
as being intrinsically linked to Junko, and there's no way in hell they'd get rid of the series' mascot for a mainline entry.
Another Episode (arguably) did so and I feel like it suffered quite a bit for it.

Nagito was a better character
and antagonist than Junko ever was.
They have more creativity than this; they're capable of more than just that character again and again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How about if New Danganronpa V3
is set between DRAE and DR2? The main villains will be the Remnants of Despair and they're probably toying with students to do another mutual killing incident.

Powwa

PS4 is surprising for me, really didn't see that coming.

I also don't want
Junko
in the new game. They should try something new.

yami4ct

That being said, Another Episode is super fucked up and is tough to handle for a lot of people.

I'm excited to hear that. Can't wait to have time to check that game out. I'm not really excited to play it as the shooter gameplay seems really bleh, but kind of crap gameplay is a danganronpa staple at this point.

is set between DRAE and DR2? The main villains will be the Remnants of Despair and they're probably toying with students to do another mutual killing incident.

That would really disappoint me.
Danganronpa 2 isn't really a conclusion I'd want to end on. They really need to make 3 post 2 and tie up all the current plot threads. They can then use the next game as a fresh start

chiimisu

They basically did it with
Alter Ego, Monomi/Usami and Chiaki, so it's certainly very possible.

It's very easy to continue the series without Junko but still retain Monokuma. Junko has left her mark on the world, having other people use Monokuma to spread despair isn't totally impossible.

Yes, I agree, I meant something like that. Or maybe
have another mastermind hack/rewrite Monokuma's AI after Junko's death and make them his/her army, I dunno.
Still, hasn't played AE, maybe that already did happen.

OHHHHH, I'd love that!

Then I am vehemently against this. Enough with
that character.
I loved them in Danganronpa Zero, but I have absolutely no need to see them ever return to this franchise again outside of having
directly influenced someone else.

My closing comment will be I don't even really want it back either, I just don't get the hatred toward the idea. It could be cool. I'm not creative enough to get excited about brand new characters I know nothing about I guess so I fall back on the old ones lol

Okay this for sure yes

Bladenic

I don't want them back not just because I like fresh blood, I don't want them back precisely because I like them.
Dragging Junko out constantly when she is literally always guaranteed to lose does nothing but discredit her and reduce her to the equivalent of a bad Saturday morning cartoon villain. It'd actually go back and damage her credibility in the previous games.

I don't mind a villain who was inspired by her, but she's gotta stay gone.

Kinda already undermined considering
she ended the world but is beaten by a few classmates. Of course, that's Ultimate Hope for you.

So yeah, new villain please. I absolutely ADORE the character in question, but appearing in every game would get old.

They have more creativity than this; they're capable of more than just that character again and again.
I'd argue Nagito shares quite a lot of traits with Junko (besides just her hand, heh) just that he's on the opposite extreme, but agreed that he's a really cool character. I mean, you can still have a ton of either flashbacks to those two or just have Junko/Nagito in non-big bad roles while still having them there.

They're way too entertaining to just more or less throw out under the risk of DR3 being 'same-y'. Given how much DR2 plays around with the concept of video game sequels being retreads of what worked the first time, I doubt DR3 would be oblivious to this issue.

I'm hoping that she makes a brief appearance but is quickly snuffed out by the real big bad. Or that they go in a totally opposite direction and she actually comes back reformed.
DR3 better start with
MONACA DIED ON THE WAY BACK TO HER HOME PLANET
. Won't accept anything less.

Top Bottom