• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM rumors

Microsoft might gobble up another developer - after the success of Dead Rising, its looking to open its checkbook to consume Capcom.

I hope this will never happen. This kind of news is rather scary. Microsoft just need to keep focus on Mistwalker and Microsoft Japan. Mistwalker might be for MS what SE is for Sony.

Eidos looks to have green-lit Just Cause 2.

Just Cause was really a great effort for the first-time developer. Now that they have engine and other things in place, I hope Just Cause 2 might have more fun elements in it.

David Jaffe's PSP "crying" game was a ruse to hide the fact that he's actually working on God of War 3 for the PS3.

OMFG. Nobody is interested in this one? This needs to be 100% true. I CAN'T ****ING WAIT FOR GOD OF WAR 3 created by David Jaffe himself.

NotWii

Banned
I wouldn't mind a Tingle Wii game :D
But they need to localise the DS version AND MOTHER 3

HELLO NINTENDO, ANYONE HOME?!

Hunter D

MS is probably trying to buy capcom. They have been trying to buy a japanese dev since before the release of the first xbox.

I dont see the capcom one happening. Arnet the Japanese extremely reluctant about outside companies coming in. I dont think the shareholders would allow it.

Dahbomb

Joe said:
wasn't there a MS/Capcom rumor a couple years ago?
Yes there was, that was when Capcom was doing pretty shitty financially and releasing some really crap games on the PS2 (or games that were supposed to be good and hyped up but didnt' meet expectations, like DMC2 and Onimusha 3 as well as other IP flops like Chaos Legion and Auto Modellista). I think Capcom was even in the red/black or at least rumored to be and that's where the Microsoft take over rumor came from. Obviously it was untrue and not only that Capcom made a huge come back with games like DMC3, RE4, Okami, Dead Rising and now Lost Planet that put them back on track.

Zenith

Banned
are you sure these rumours are real, as in from a magazine? because they sound like complete jokes. remember when they started all these Capcom-Konami merger/buyout rumours and Capcom just lauged it off as impossible. Capcom is the biggest software company in Japan, they aren't looking to sell.

AAK

MirageDwarf said:
OMFG. Nobody is interested in this one? This needs to be 100% true. I CAN'T ****ING WAIT FOR GOD OF WAR 3 created by David Jaffe himself.

We are all as hyped up as the next guy for whatever Santa Monica studios has cooked up for PS3. But with rumors like the that, how can you take the rest seriously?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Rumour-Just Cause 2:lol
That's pretty ****ing funny as the devs pretty much confirmed (read:hinted at heavily) that they'd be starting work on a sequel pretty much straight after the first game was released:lol

At least whoever writes this shite can come back and say "told you so" when it's officially announced:D

Lobster

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is brand new, but I have the scoop on the next on - the second Wii Zelda won't star Link, but instead, the fruity far, Tingle.

Nintendo are too smart to actually release it under the TLOZ brand...If they did it would be worse than the announcement of cel shading. The sales won't be so good either.

Link1110

Zenith said:
are you sure these rumours are real, as in from a magazine? because they sound like complete jokes. remember when they started all these Capcom-Konami merger/buyout rumours and Capcom just lauged it off as impossible. Capcom is the biggest software company in Japan, they aren't looking to sell.

Got the issue today. They're the actual rumors in there.

Kangu

Banned
I would indeed buy an X360 to play Capcom games. Smart move MS. A few hundred million dollars is nothing compared to the marketing coup that is having ME for a consumer.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
no shit at the assasins creed bit

yeah right at the capcom rumor

and hot damn at the sin city one. from the moment i saw the movie, i dreamt of how bad ass that style could translate into a game. imagine a UE3.0 powered game with special filters to display the graphic novel art style... *schwing!

Prine

Banned
Microsoft might gobble up another developer - after the success of Dead Rising, its looking to open its checkbook to consume Capcom.

I hear Konami is forcing the game's head honcho, Hideo Kojima, to port MGS4 over to the 360.

Hope these 2 come true

Nintendo has made comments acknowledging the hatred of Tingle in the US. At most, if this is even true, it will be some lame spin off like that Tetra game and will be Japan exclusive

As for the Capcom thing, are you telling me it took M$ 6 years to realize Capcom is a good developer? After Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 4 being touted as 2 of the best games this gen, Microsoft wasnt convinced capcom was good until they made some arcady zombie game? No. If M$ could buy out capcom, they already would have. Sony would have. Nintendo would have.

Straightballin said:
With enough money anything can happen

Capcom developing games only for a console that no japanese wants and no japanese owns?

Surely MS has tried to canibalize any company in the sector, but I don't see a big japanese company like capcom to surrender and abandon their people.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Actually EGM rumors are almost always wrong =(

I am sure a 12 year old can come up with better ones

they are like 1/200. I could remember those days when I thought to myself wow I hope this is true. Truth be told Gaffers get more things right than EGM and all of Ziff Davis VG groups. Is amazing how they actually get most of their news from forums like these. I sure Luke gets all his info from GAF.

GAF rumors >> EGM rumors

Zonar

If Microsoft has the lisence to Marvel and they buy Capcom then that would mean...

Marvel vs Capcom 360

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
op_ivy said:
and hot damn at the sin city one. from the moment i saw the movie, i dreamt of how bad ass that style could translate into a game. imagine a UE3.0 powered game with special filters to display the graphic novel art style... *schwing!

Unfortunately, the realist in me imagines a mediocre game with a movie-license tacked on. :(

I wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft gobbling up Capcom. Microsoft needs a japanese division worth a crap.

Letting Capcom takeover MGS japan make actually someone there would know how to sell a console to a japanese audience!

They japanese might finally have more choices this way as they might make the 360 a viable (although still underselling) alternative.

But GAF hates buyouts by its very nature.

However, I want to hear more about this before I believe they are really thinking about it.

ethelred

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Letting Capcom takeover MGS japan make actually someone there would know how to sell a console to a japanese audience!

Because if there's one thing Capcom knows, it's how to sell a console in Japan.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Considering their not Microsoft, they fair a better chance. Given their performance over there, a bum in a tin foil hat could do better!

Fair point!

ethelred said:
Because if there's one thing Capcom knows, it's how to sell a console in Japan.

Considering they are not Microsoft, they fair a much better chance. Given Microsoft's performance over there, a bum in a tin foil hat could do better!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think Microsoft would love to buy Capcom for that shot in the arm in Japan and for the benefits it would give them worldwide (and for the games it would take away from the PS3), but alas, Capcom probably won't sell. However, I could see the two companies working out a co-branding deal in japan and some sort of next-gen exclusivity deal for the next few years. After blue dragon gets released and the 360 gets a decent sales boost in Japan, MS should re-brand and relaunch the console in February with Lost Planet as a pack-in over there...

Capcom's Xbox 360
-Dead Rising
-Lost Planet
-Blue Dragon
-Xbox Live & Arcade
-Project Gotham 3
-Kameo
-Dead or Alive 4
-DOAX2
-Winning Eleven
-Viva Pinata
-etc.

Just re-launch. There's still a good 5 years remaining in this generation over there (or more). Don't waste it again. Capcom would also bring A) credibility B) huge worldwide franchises C) a portable(s) division and D) several killer next-gen exclusives in the next 5+ years. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, etc.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Apparently, Assassin's Creed was never meant to be a PS3 exclusive. Yep, I hear Sony asked publisher Ubisoft to keep the 360 version a secret as a special favor.
Well no shit. 360 is the reference platform for AC, and it's been like this since day one. I heard from a trustworthy source that they are actually struggling to get the game to run nicely on PS3. I'm sure they'll have it all sorted out when the game is released, but there is a very good reason why the PS3 version of that game has never been shown so far.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I would love to see MS buy Capcom, just for the reaction here @ gaf...
It would be reactions of epic proportions.. even baby jesus would say: "Ohh ****ing snap"..

jett

D-Member
Blimblim said:
Well no shit. 360 is the reference platform for AC, and it's been like this since day one. I heard from a trustworthy source that they are actually struggling to get the game to run nicely on PS3. I'm sure they'll have it all sorted out when the game is released, but there is a very good reason why the PS3 version of that game has never been shown so far.

I think it's hilarious how Ubisoft claimed once that AC was being developed on the PS3 first...and that was even before the whole E3 debacle. You fail Ubisoft, you fail hard.

kruskev

Vaandaviii said:
Capcom developing games only for a console that no japanese wants and no japanese owns?

Surely MS has tried to canibalize any company in the sector, but I don't see a big japanese company like capcom to surrender and abandon their people.

Um considering most of big capcom games sell better and have world wide appeal this move would definitely benefit microsoft regardless of how much effect it would have with 360 sells in japan.

TheProfessor said:
Actually EGM rumors are almost always wrong =(

Yes, they are just rumours, but I wouldn't say they're almost always wrong.

Wario64 said:
April 2003

- GBA Next to have Bluetooth wireless capability
-Retro making new Metroid
-MGS3 far in development
-Midway making new Rush game
-Capcom remaking/revival of Bionic Commando
-Bill Gates mentioned in CES that we would see a portable Xbox by 2006
-Sony to enter the portable arena, project codenamed "Play Boy" (not portable PS1 and wont use CDs as medium)

Aug. 2004

-DOA4 coming to Xbox 2 as early as 2005
-Epic making a Xbox 2 launch title, third person game
-Silicon Knights joining Sega
-Nintendo's next console to be BC with Gamecube
-Next Bioware RPG to be sci-fi themed

Sept. 2004

-Dev kits for Xbox 2 sent to developers
-New Spiderman game, based on comic book series
-DQVIII to ship before FFXII in both Japan and US during 2005
-EA release a "Street" version of Tiger Woods. Expected in next gen
-New 'Tales' RPG for GC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2891681&postcount=41

Damn, never even realised this before...was that Bioware RPG Mass Effect? If so, nice call.

Top Bottom