• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Formula One:CE PS3 videos (say wow with me)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Awesome video of a rainy start of the USGP (indy) where it starts out really wet and gets more dry over time.....lots and lots and LOTS of rain particles at the end of the main stretch before the first corner made me say wow:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16956&type=mov&pl=game

This desert sands track (Bahrain) shows off some nice motion blur and has amazing sense of speed in my view....as was the case in the indy vid, all the AI opponents are ghost cars.....an interesting option:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16960&type=mov&pl=game

HD version:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16959&type=mov&pl=game

Here is a nice video of the Monte Carlo GP (Monaco) but there is a weird glitch at the beggining of the race where the player's car seems to turn into a ghost car for a while.....hmmm...

At any rate, the detail on the backgrounds again seems to be just fantastic and, as usual, the sense of speed is supurb......I really like how they do motion blur in this game....also notice there are speed penaltys applied for cutting corners too much and such:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16958&type=mov&pl=game

HD:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16957&type=mov&pl=game

I really like the shadowing detail in this game too...notice when you come out of the tunnel in monaco with the fencing on the left wall (the sea side) casting shadows realisticly accross the tire, suspension and nose of the car!!

Want the game so bad I can taste it :D

EDGE can bite me

ok checked out the vids. They look pretty ok. However, Im not too happy about the clinical look. The street circuit looks way to smooth, it needs more dirt and cracks. Basically more details. The monaco circuit looks like the whole city was freshly painted and all building were build yesterday, no wear and tear. Makes the whole thing look a bit fake and unrealistic. If theres enough rendering power make those polies count and make the backgrounds more lively. Same goes for the dessert track.

I dont like the ghosted out opponents either, when racing online I want to be able to crash, or be crashed upon. That would be more like competing in a real f1 race. For time trailing it is fine, but against real people I dont like it that much.

Im a F1 nut too, and will probably get this one if it's at all a bit decent. But I just hope they can fix these thing before the release.

Kittonwy

Banned
I agree with the chain-linked fence casting shadow being a nice touch.
Indifferent2.gif

wireframe/transparent racing FTL :(

any know if you can still crash/touch online human opponents?

and is there anyone offline multiplayer?

Kleegamefan said:
Here is a nice video of the Monte Carlo GP (Monaco) but there is a weird glitch at the beggining of the race where the player's car seems to turn into a ghost car for a while.....hmmm...

According to what i see, thats not a glitch cause it only happens when you break a rule and you're under penalty... (look at the timer on the top. Thats the penalty timer)

frAntic_Frog said:
any know if you can still crash/touch online human opponents?

Yes you can... watch the Bahrain video...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kleegamefan said:
I think they are all AI cars :(

Not all of them. Those are recognized by an "(AI)" before their names.

Edit: I see collision is always OFF against AI. It can be set to ON, but that applies to real player only it seems.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Supervlieg said:
ok checked out the vids. They look pretty ok. However, Im not too happy about the clinical look. The street circuit looks way to smooth, it needs more dirt and cracks. Basically more details. The monaco circuit looks like the whole city was freshly painted and all building were build yesterday, no wear and tear. Makes the whole thing look a bit fake and unrealistic. If theres enough rendering power make those polies count and make the backgrounds more lively. Same goes for the dessert track.

I dont like the ghosted out opponents either, when racing online I want to be able to crash, or be crashed upon. That would be more like competing in a real f1 race. For time trailing it is fine, but against real people I dont like it that much.

Im a F1 nut too, and will probably get this one if it's at all a bit decent. But I just hope they can fix these thing before the release.

I think its highly likely the AI ghost thing is just yet another option in this game and not the final word on how it can be played (EDGE doesn't seem to get this)...but I do agree with you that monaco in particular has a very clean, clinical look to it....I too would prefer a more gritty look but compared to previous console F1 games this one stands head and shoulders above the rest, IMO....

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
TTP said:
Not all of them. Those are recognized by an "(AI)" before their names.

I was thinking they were all AI because you couldn't seem to hit any of them....

Then this is a time trial type of thing, I suppose....

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kleegamefan said:
I was thinking they were all AI because you couldn't seem to hit any of them....

Then this is a time trial type of thing, I suppose....

I edited my post. Besides, at the end of the Rainy Day video there IS a collision with a non-AI car.

stadler

i guess this is more arcade based than simulation, if you understand me? you would not be able to drive onto the grass in the rain and continue at the speeds shown in the indianapolis video or hit the barrier coming out of the tunnel at monaco and not end up in a huge accident. the only other thing would be the AI. in the bahrain video the guy, in a bmw, cuts through the field with ease mainly because the ai brakes far too early. the guy doesn't even use the racing line

does look good and fun but i think i'm after something else.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Here are some videos I've done and posted in the EDGE thread.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MGVJU8A8 (sadly I forgot to switch on the "fine" quality option on the camera on this one so it's a bit choppy. Also camera couldnt keep focus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOAUQzjW2KI (here u can see some AI behaviour)

stadler, no. It is pretty simulative if you set it so. Those videos are mostly with damage turned off and aids on (see those icons blinking in the lower left part of the screen, under the Fuel one? Those are "aids in action"). Also, AI breakes earlier when set to Easy. Set it on Hard, and it breaks when it has too ;)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
krypt0nian said:
Very, VERY pretty but there is no way I'm buying a F1 racer. =(
I'm feeling the same way recently. I really want to play this game, but I dunno if I'd be willing to at full price mainly because I don't know how long the game would hold my attention. Especially with Motorstorm coming out around a Week later. It would be my first F1 game, so I'll still have to think about it.

It would be easier to decide upon if there wasn't so many other games I want to try in march.

Big-E

Im not that much of a racing video game fan but I am a big F1 fan so I will probably pick this up and forgo Motorstorm due to lack of a budget and time.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Core407 said:
Not an F1 fan, but I'd pick it up for $40. Seems like a really good "tech demo" to show non-gamers. :lol
For 40 I'd be sold on it. But unfortunately we don't have that choice day one. So many games coming out in the next few months and unfortunately again...I can't have them all...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
the camera view right behind the driver's head is so sick. cockpit is sweet too.

wow.

Zaphod

I am a huge F1 fan and this combined with an upcoming bonus may cause me to part with the required cash to play, PS3 included. I am a bit bothered by the Indy track though. The banking on the proper oval seems to be a bit low. Oh well, that is the only nit pick I can find. I find the complaining about using 2006 cars silly since the cars change so much through the year and the 2007s have just been launched.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kangu said:
The way the drivers head vibrates from side to side with the turbulence is eerily realistic.

If you use the camera that faces the pilot in the cockpit, you can see his head lunge back and forward during startup and during breaking.

Zaphod

DenogginizerOS said:
If you use the camera that faces the pilot in the cockpit, you can see his head lunge back and forward during startup and during breaking.

Awesome! The braking Gs are what most drivers comment on when they drive an F1 car for the first time. Jeff Gordon said after driving a Williams at Indy ""My neck is going to be so sore tomorrow, I've certainly got an appreciation for him holding his head up in that car." referring to Montoya.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
stadler said:
i guess this is more arcade based than simulation, if you understand me? you would not be able to drive onto the grass in the rain and continue at the speeds shown in the indianapolis video or hit the barrier coming out of the tunnel at monaco and not end up in a huge accident. the only other thing would be the AI. in the bahrain video the guy, in a bmw, cuts through the field with ease mainly because the ai brakes far too early. the guy doesn't even use the racing line

does look good and fun but i think i'm after something else.

There are tons and tons of assissts/features you can turn off and on in the game depending on how much sim/arcade feel you want in the game.....

KnuckaWut

This game looks awesome, but i havent played an F1 game since monaco gp on the genesis :/ pretty sure i won't get into this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Monaco track looks absolutely amazing, even in this video with washed out colors (if anyone doubts colors being washed up in this video, just watch the morning trial run video with crazy volumetric lighting effect). It looks like smooth CGI-ed Monaco or something :) I actually really like that they did it that way, F1 is not some gritty racing, the smooth clinical look fits in well here.

Top Bottom