• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War 3 Screens

deepbrown

John_B said:
If you look at the sword in Kratos' left hand you can see a low poly effect that is also featured in Infamous and some of Insomniac's titles (I'm sure they wrote the code).

I'm not a big fan of that effect, it really pops out and looks like shit.

I haven't seen anything yet from God of War III that puts it up there with Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. I would love for a demo to prove me wrong though.
Low poly effect? Isn't it called JAGGIES?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
deepbrown said:
Low poly effect? Isn't it called JAGGIES?
I'm wondering what the fuck he's talking about. Is this it people? He talking about jaggies?

JoeFenix

I'm pretty sure that's caused by a lower res framebuffer for the particle effects/transparencies. You can see it in some Uncharted 2 vids aswell (mostly in explosions and heat blur effects).

Can't say I like it either but there's not much else you can do with limited fillrate.

This has been discussed rather intensively at beyond 3d.
It was brought up by a developer around the time Killzone 2 was about to release.

If you know what it is and what to look for, you`ll start noticing it more frequently in a lot more games.

Galvanise_ said:
Even outside of his comments though, there are gamers I have shown GOW III pictures to and they thought they look pretty 'meh'. They agree it looks a lot better in motion, but even then weren't all that impressed.

Ahh well, you can't please everyone. I'm gonna love this game.

That happens with petty much evey game though...Ive shown crysis to my bo and he wasn't that bothered...He is far more impressed by MGS and Locoroco

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sentry said:
So was I. :lol I don't care what people say, the game looks great.
But really what AM I supposed to be looking for? The jaggies or something else (I'm not noticing anything weird)?

Yoshichan

Tried Googling RSX Effect, damn you technical nerds, not even Wiki had a page about it.

Tell me moar!

gluv65 said:
It's same demo as E3.

yeah, same level, but it looks like some of the animations are new and/or updated...Like the grunts sword attacks and that grab kill move where Kratos grabs the dude and punches him in the face a few times before ripping his head off.

Septimus

Lol RSX effect? Well whatever it is, if you say it's in Killzone 2 and inFamous then bring that shit on since those games were awesome.

Yoshichan

That wasn't necessary, Pizzaguy.

John_B said:
If you look at the sword in Kratos' left hand you can see a low poly effect that is also featured in Infamous and some of Insomniac's titles (I'm sure they wrote the code).

I'm not a big fan of that effect, it really pops out and looks like shit.

I haven't seen anything yet from God of War III that puts it up there with Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. I would love for a demo to prove me wrong though.

I think he means the jaggies which are due to the blur effect in the scene.

Calavera520 said:
I think he means the jaggies which are due to the blur effect in the scene.

Yah. If I didn't know any better (and I really don't) these are side effects of the now oft-used lower-res alpha effects (for performance efficency purposes) that many games use such as Red Faction: Guerilla (first game that comes to mind).

Remember it being mentioned in more than one Digital Foundy article. I also remember them saying that this technique wasn't being used in the FFXIII demo (i.e. full native res alpha effects) which was apparently causing a lot tof the frame drops in that demo.

I'm sure somebody slightly more technically knowledgeable can clarify. Only thing that surprises/confuses me is how/why the alpha effect causes a decrease in resolution/pixelation on his sword.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JoeFenix said:
I'm pretty sure that's caused by a lower res framebuffer for the particle effects/transparencies. You can see it in some Uncharted 2 vids aswell (mostly in explosions and heat blur effects)
I'm watching a gameplay video now that has full screen heat effect, and explosions on some truck, and this problem is not present in it at all. If they do use this, they must be using it very selectively/sparingly.

Raist said:
Unless they're remakes, I don't see this happening at all.

Well, from the sound of it, it is a port. Again, according to the survey: "God of War and God of War II on Blu-ray disc".

Oh and to add more, I think he deleted his post for I can't find it (I can only find it via RT).

YYZ

I don't think they are remakes, probably straight ports that they were able to emulate on PS3. The only incentive to buying that is the demo, which is probably going to be the same one that we've seen a dozen times already. However, it would be nice to be able to play around with the new weapons and moves. I don't need to play GoWI and II anymore, maybe for a few hours only. I've played the shit out of both of them.

I think that poll option won because it was the clear winner. Anyone remember what the other options were?

YYZ said:
I think that poll option won because it was the clear winner. Anyone remember what the other options were?
http://www.us.playstation.com/survey/176

Full game soundtrack
Comic book/Graphic novel
Exclusive packaging
God of War and God of War II on Blu-ray disc
God of War and God of War II cinematic movie compilation
Art book
T-shirt
Collectible items
Access to exclusive downloadable content
Behind-the-scenes/"Making of" featurettes
Developer commentary

Kratos Statue/Figurine/Bust
Key chain
Necklace
T-shirt

YYZ

I believe I voted for the making of and developer commentary, those are way better and the tradition should continue of including those in EVERY copy of the game. Cinematic compilation is also nice.

Seiken said:
Tried Googling RSX Effect, damn you technical nerds, not even Wiki had a page about it.

Tell me moar!

Whilst his description was terrible, what he's talking about is the use of a low resolution framebuffer for transparency effects. In plenty games, transparencies will be rendered at ~1/4 resolution then blended with the final image in order to save fillrate. Its not exclusive to PS3 titles (Lost Planet does exactly the same on the 360 for example) but it is a lot more common because if you throw a lot of alpha textures at RSX, performance starts to get real shitty. Its not hard to comprehend just how much of a lifesaver rendering those effects at 1/4 resolution can be though, especially when the image quality degradation isn't half as severe as you might think.

Tiduz said:
living up to his name :D

Tbf, its a technique that is pretty much required on RSX if you want anything like decent performance whilst using an appreciable amount of alpha effects. The eDRAM on 360 makes it much more suited to rendering full resolution alpha effects, Red Faction is a good example, they were full resolution in the 360 build and 1/4 resolution in the PS3 build.

If it's really being announced at TGS, the only reason I can see for holding it back until then when Japan is such a wrong target audience is that they might also be announcing other PS2-in-an-emulation-wrapper stuff at the event.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
brain_stew said:
Tbf, its a technique that is pretty much required on RSX if you want anything like decent performance whilst using an appreciable amount of alpha effects. The eDRAM on 360 makes it much more suited to rendering full resolution alpha effects, Red Faction is a good example, they were full resolution in the 360 build and 1/4 resolution in the PS3 build.

Thanks for the explanation on that, another thing learned

John_B

I was talking about this:

24pl8us.jpg

When overdone it makes objects look like PSX quality.

God of War games have gotten plenty of admiration from Japanese devs so hopefully Sony will do their best to market it more to the public there.

I found the graphics to be atrocious in some places, but impressive in others. Overall the game looks/sound/feels like some big ancient orgy :lol

Struct09

God of War 3 was playable at PAX, and is probably my most anticipated game right now, but damn it was choppy. I actually refused to play it, I'd rather wait for them to polish it up before getting my first taste.

Ricker said:
Same section but a little longer,it goes after the Titan part and shows a new part (7 minutes long)I haven't seen before...small spoilers I guess because it shows a mini Boss and a gruesome,violent final kill move that's pretty sick.

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/god-of-war-iii.html

God I fuckin love these people. That was one of the most satisfyingly gory and intense little 10 minutes clips of a game i have ever seen.

Day godamn -3. I'll murder a truck driver to get this early.

Top Bottom