• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War 3 Screens

Kittonwy

Banned
Keikoku said:

The image quality isn't exactly stellar in GTAIV with more pop-in, crackdown doesn't have some of the graphical features in inFAMOUS, the lighting in Crackdown looks more flat because of the lack of tone-mapping and characters and objects lack self-shadowing, AA isn't everything. That said, the aliasing in the GOW3 demo doesn't look that bad, although I don't think GOW3 is the best-looking game on the system anyway, since that would be Uncharted 2 but Naughty Dog already made the best-looking game on the system and are making a second title, as opposed to inFamous being Sucker Punch's first title and GOW3 being Santa Monica's first title on the PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

Keikoku

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The image quality isn't exactly stellar in GTAIV with more pop-in, crackdown doesn't have some of the graphical features in inFAMOUS, the lighting in Crackdown looks more flat because of the lack of tone-mapping and characters and objects lack self-shadowing, AA isn't everything.
Indifferent2.gif

It's not only AA, I don't think that you read the article but whatever :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Keikoku said:
It's not only AA, I don't think that you read the article but whatever :)

Outside of AA Crackdown is missing a lot of graphical effects present in many of the current HD games, such as self-shadowing and better lighting quality, even APB right now has a much better graphical feature-set. IMO God of War 3 should have a comparable feature-set compared to Uncharted 2 as it's not exactly an open-world game like inFAMOUS although it's understandable why inFAMOUS had some aliasing issues but it's still much better-looking than Crackdown.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fk7bt2.jpg

In game or art?

Phreak47

Reminds me of looking at concept art years ago and thinking "someday the damn game will look like this shit."

Are we almost there?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phreak47 said:
Reminds me of looking at concept art years ago and thinking "someday the damn game will look like this shit."

Are we almost there?
Same here.

beast786

We still havent seen those on the Titan "back" revolving floor gameplay yet. I am really curious to see how they manage to accomplish it and what type of gameplay.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Is that suppose to be in-game cause holy crap @ the Kratos character model! :O

I really, really doubt that. I mean, look at his face... its TOO detailed. I dont think its possible to play at that quality yet.

Yoshichan

Scrow said:
geeze... lighten up Kratos.

o01kyf.jpg

that's better. :)
I'M DYING :lol :lol :lol

nib95

Banned
Guessing cut-scene model. Or in-game updated build.

This was the old build from Dec 08, though shown not so long ago at GC 09.

2nqw9wh.jpg

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Yoshichan

Um, I liked that model...

Uh, that screen is washed out...in the trailer of that scene, that model was pretty damn good...it just looks better now.

The new screen is definitely gameplay model...personally I think there is no difference between gameplay and cutscene models...impressive

Cerberus

nelsonroyale said:
Uh, that screen is washed out...in the trailer of that scene, that model was pretty damn good...it just looks better now.

The new screen is definitely gameplay model...personally I think there is no difference between gameplay and cutscene models...impressive

No, I remember that screen. It's from the trailer shown during the Spike VGAs. Some people were saying it looked like a PS2 game during that time. The model that you're thinking of is in a trailer that was released two months later. It was an extended version of the trailer shown during the VGAs. Kratos' face wasn't as washed out in that scene and a lot more people were impressed by the game.

SamBishop

Banned
nib95 said:
Guessing cut-scene model.

Prepare to have a techgasm. I'm too overworked to check, but I believe The Stig (yes, that's his new name) said they're using an LOD system that means every scene in the game will be real-time now instead of pre-rendered. When you get all close-up and you see the pores and wrinkles, that's all real-time, and the game then pulls out and obviously they don't give a shit about rendering it with that much detail at the normal scale. I promise, that's real-time.

nib95

Banned
SamBishop said:
Prepare to have a techgasm. I'm too overworked to check, but I believe The Stig (yes, that's his new name) said they're using an LOD system that means every scene in the game will be real-time now instead of pre-rendered. When you get all close-up and you see the pores and wrinkles, that's all real-time, and the game then pulls out and obviously they don't give a shit about rendering it with that much detail at the normal scale. I promise, that's real-time.

You're right. I techgasm'd. Why can't more games use super efficient LOD biases like this? Granted, a lot of games do use this kind of thing. But apparently not to the degree GOD3 is.

SamBishop said:
noob here, but what's LOD?

CrayzeeCarl said:
noob here, but what's LOD?

is it level of detail? if I'm not mistaken. it means they have several model of Kratos from low polygon to very high polygon and during the gameplay, depending on how far or how close the camera is, it switch model on the fly. done correctly. you won't even notice the switch.

Callibretto said:
is it level of detail? if I'm not mistaken. it means they have several model of Kratos from low polygon to very high polygon and during the gameplay, depending on how far or how close the camera is, it switch model on the fly. done correctly. you won't even notice the switch.
Should have been obvious, thanks. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Could someone explain the LoD thing for simpletons such as I? If it can be explained very simply.

I take it to mean there are a number of different quality models loaded into the RAM at all times and the game switches the assets on the fly based on where the camera is and how much detail is theoretically visible? If that's the case however, why bother? Does it take more power to render the higher quality version? I thought the point of lower quality assets was to conserve space? It doesn't seem to make any difference to performance on a PC if you have the highest quality textures loaded in.

That Krato's character model is insane. Between Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and God of War III, the PS3 is recieving some fucking detailed characters.

*Dances*

Kittonwy

Banned
SamBishop said:

TEH Stig?

stuburns said:
Could someone explain the LoD thing for simpletons such as I? If it can be explained very simply.

I take it to mean there are a number of different quality models loaded into the RAM at all times and the game switches the assets on the fly based on where the camera is and how much detail is theoretically visible? If that's the case however, why bother? Does it take more power to render the higher quality version? I thought the point of lower quality assets was to conserve space? It doesn't seem to make any difference to performance on a PC if you have the highest quality textures loaded in.

I think there's a limit of how much polygon can the console push on screen. so when the camera is so far away, there's no point of using a very high polygon count model because those polygon can be better used on the environment.

StuBurns

Banned
Callibretto said:
I think there's a limit of how much polygon can the console push on screen. so when the camera is so far away, there's no point of using a very high polygon count model because those polygon can be better used on the environment.
Oh, that makes, the camera is no longer showing so much of the environment when it's closer to the model so the polygons can be reallocated. Sounds cool.

stuburns said:
Oh, that makes, the camera is no longer showing so much of the environment when it's closer to the model so the polygons can be reallocated. Sounds cool.
A pretty good amount of games do that now, also with texturing, but if this is a new and awesome and smoother implementation of the tech then hooray.

dalyr95

LOD is used to spare CPU/GPU time by using a low-resolution model when that object is far away from the camera and you won't notice the difference. Basically it saves the game from rendering out a detailed model when its only 20x20 pixels on your screen. For example wheels become squares and use less polygons, but the object is so far away from the camera you won't notice.

Also saves on texture memory as low-res blurred textures can be used

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
stuburns said:
It doesn't seem to make any difference to performance on a PC if you have the highest quality textures loaded in.
even if you have the highest quality texture setting turned on the game is still using a LOD system for textures that get further and further away from the camera.

the high quality texture setting is only most apparent on textures that are extremely close.

Top Bottom