• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm images (online mode, mud, and night racing)

Das-J said:
Photoshop FTW, check out the flags... same in every screen. As I recall, those are in motion in-game. :lol

My copy of Photoshop disagrees
2r7q3ae.gif

Vrolokus said:
boogienights3.jpg

"This is actually only possible with the special mud modification chip, which we install right here in the store."

:lol :lol :lol

GIVE THIS MAN THE TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

("Very small price.")

2Dcube

Look at the tracks in the mud... (Esspecially the smaller one in the first few screens).

What idiot drives like that??

KTallguy

Banned
Das-J said:
Photoshop FTW, check out the flags... same in every screen. As I recall, those are in motion in-game. :lol Still, I can't wait to play online... I just hope we get some headlights!

Probably not Photoshop.

Probably some debug test showing off different levels of mud deformation.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
2Dcube said:
Look at the tracks in the mud... (Esspecially the smaller one in the first few screens).

C'mon man, it's a game where there are alternate ways of going somewhere. Who's to say at that point in the race there isn't some type of shortcut going either way?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
2Dcube said:

A idiot who wants to show the world what the mud engine is capable off?

Grayman

2Dcube said:

well i rarely see a game preview were the players are even adequate at playing.

If the game has really torque-y control hitting the gas on the dirtbike with it turned slightly could make the backend do that. or a rider got punched in the face during the corner

Rorschach

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I have not seen this before :lol :lol
...I use it all the time. He probably stole that from me. He's a stealer who steals things...and stuff. He didn't even do it right, it's i'msorite.

amirite?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Rorschach said:
...I use it all the time. He probably stole that from me. He's a stealer who steals things...and stuff. He didn't even do it right, it's i'msorite.

amirite?

notrite

*fails* =/

Jammy

Banned
This game looks hot. But I must be the only one thinking the mud is the worst (meaning least impressive) part of this game, not necessarily in the way they have it, but just the look of it. It looks too shiny... almost more like chocolate pudding or something than mud. Something's off.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Rorschach said:

amirite?

:(

uamrite

DCharlie

Banned
This game looks hot. But I must be the only one thinking the mud is the worst (meaning least impressive) part of this game

nope - i hate racing games which rubberband so much that it forces you into deliberately holding back so you can win. Motorstorm is afflicted by this, which is a shame because it's such a friggen rush in 1st person view mode.

The mud is nice by the way.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
DCharlie said:
nope - i hate racing games which rubberband so much that it forces you into deliberately holding back so you can win. Motorstorm is afflicted by this, which is a shame because it's such a friggen rush in 1st person view mode.

The mud is nice by the way.

What kind of rubberbanding? There are different levels of this shit. The more tame would be in games like Mario Kart. More severe would be the Midway variety, like NBA Jam he's on fire all game or Noob Saibot riding the invisible elevator jumping on you when you are 1 punch away from a flawless victory. All seriousness though, is it that bad?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can't "rubberbanding" are the handicap that allows you to catch up to other vehicles (if I'm getting the phrase right) able to be toggled on and off in other games? Seems like something that you should be able to choose, if want it on or off...

Though, this game seems like it lends itself and was built around it since your probably going to be ****ing up a lot.

Gek54

Pimpwerx said:
I don't think 15 dynamic lights (MS) compares with 1 (GTR2). There are limitations this early in the cycle. I'd like to see it happen, though. PEACE.

MS, GTR2, 15 dynamic lights, what?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BlueTsunami said:
Can't "rubberbanding" are the handicap that allows you to catch up to other vehicles (if I'm getting the phrase right) able to be toggled on and off in other games? Seems like something that you should be able to choose, if want it on or off...

Though, this game seems like it lends itself and was built around it since your probably going to be ****ing up a lot.

I refuse to play games with large amounts of rubberbanding. Games like NBA2K7 when you **** and the game beats your ass, you feel like you lost badly because you should have. AI is just that good. It's why racers like Diddy Kong Racing or F-Zero GX are so good, no rubberband AI. This is a bad design flaw if it's readily apparent.

raYne

BlueTsunami said:

Very few games actually give you the option. If they do, it's usually known as a "catch up" toggle in the options menu.

Rubberband AI sucks. Always did, always will.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jammy said:
This game looks hot. But I must be the only one thinking the mud is the worst (meaning least impressive) part of this game, not necessarily in the way they have it, but just the look of it. It looks too shiny... almost more like chocolate pudding or something than mud. Something's off.
pudding.jpg

OatmealMu

raYne said:
Very few games actually give you the option. If they do, it's usually known as a "catch up" toggle in the options menu.

Rubberband AI sucks. Always did, always will.

There's always online if you don't like rubberband AI. Then again, in Burnout 3 online, if you were in the lead you could never achieve the speeds as the racers behind you. It's frustrating to drive a perfect race and still have someone catch up and smash you into a wall.
thefacesofgafqf1.gif

Argyle

My tolerance for rubberbanding may be higher than DCharlie, but I haven't really noticed it much in this game, at least not to the point where it upsets me. If you run a clean race you will get ahead of the AI and stay there by a fairly wide margin - you can usually even wipe out once and still keep the lead (screw up twice, and well...that's different).

I've only played about 50% through the single player mode, though. Maybe it gets worse later on?

J-Rzez

Argyle said:
My tolerance for rubberbanding may be higher than DCharlie, but I haven't really noticed it much in this game, at least not to the point where it upsets me. If you run a clean race you will get ahead of the AI and stay there by a fairly wide margin - you can usually even wipe out once and still keep the lead (screw up twice, and well...that's different).

I've only played about 50% through the single player mode, though. Maybe it gets worse later on?

No... it doesn't... when you're driving right, right lines, right routes, cleanly, you will beat up on the AI... Naturally, later on they're driving better themselves, very clean and steady, so you mess up, take a different route by accident or something, or worse and wreck, they'll be right behind you...

I haven't noticed "rubber-banding" in it at all... if it's there, it's barely noticeable... it's not like mariokart, that's for damn sure...

Brashnir

Graphics Horse said:
My copy of Photoshop disagrees
2r7q3ae.gif

while the realtime ruts are technically impressive, I'd like to know where this place is that the dirt is dry until someone drives over it, at which point it becomes dripping wet mud. If the water table is that shallow, it'd definitely not be a safe place to drive a big rig.

It all reeks of PDZ/Condemned style "Make it shiny so they can see the detail"-itis.

DCharlie

Banned
No... it doesn't... when you're driving right, right lines, right routes, cleanly, you will beat up on the AI... Naturally, later on they're driving better themselves, very clean and steady, so you mess up, take a different route by accident or something, or worse and wreck, they'll be right behind you...

I haven't noticed "rubber-banding" in it at all... if it's there, it's barely noticeable... it's not like mariokart, that's for damn sure...

Not what i'm seeing unfortunately - i'm driving a perfect race and consitantly get dicked over near the end of the last lap once over ticket 4.

as you get later into the game the CPU will consistantly dick you near the end of the final lap - to the extent that the only way to prevent this is to hold back and sit off the leaders then boost ahead. I dislike the idea that you can run a perfect line race and lose it at the end, where as driving deliberately poorer, posting a weaker time, and sitting behind the front runners rewards you with a win.

I should stress, this isn't a Motorstorm only issue and (as Blue mentioned) i'd like the possibility to switch this off.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
Not what i'm seeing unfortunately - i'm driving a perfect race and consitantly get dicked over near the end of the last lap once over ticket 4.

as you get later into the game the CPU will consistantly dick you near the end of the final lap - to the extent that the only way to prevent this is to hold back and sit off the leaders then boost ahead. I dislike the idea that you can run a perfect line race and lose it at the end, where as driving deliberately poorer, posting a weaker time, and sitting behind the front runners rewards you with a win.

I should stress, this isn't a Motorstorm only issue and (as Blue mentioned) i'd like the possibility to switch this off.

Are you sure that driver is not KennyK running with the special D.C.-not-worthy-A.I. ? Hey, it shows that consoles makers do care about each of their own users then :p.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DCharlie said:

Ineed. As a matter of fact, I stopped fighting for the lead during the first and second laps. I just let the guys go and then boost my way to victory on the 3rd lap.

There is no reward for being ahead all the time. There is no reward for crashing opponents (they'll catch you later on anyway) albeit it's helpful when you are close to the finish line. They should have implemented *something* that justifies/rewards your driving skills.

And the difficulty curve is ****ed up. I've had very hard times with some mid-matches but just got 1st on my first tries in some of the later ones.

I'm bored to death now. I have about 15 races left for completition (I'm 1st/Gold on all the previous ones already), and I dont feel any need to pursue them.

I also whished the mud deformation thing actually ment something. During just 3 laps you barely notice any difference. "No lap will look the same" my ass, honestly. You just slide more on mud. That's it. Where is my "it dries over time" thing? Not that it can dry that much in just 3 laps anyway...

And sometimes the AI acts in a stupid way. I like how they actually see you and try to push you off the track, but sometimes you can see them turining so much in your direction that they end up hitting the scenary themselvs, halting in the middle of the track like a barricade.

As it is, I can see this game as a graphical showcase and nothing more. Hopefully I'll enjoy the online aspect of it.

J-Rzez said:

Rubber-banding is pretty noticeable actually.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Graphics Horse said:
I quite like the look of that actually. :)

That's indeed Motorstom for PS3 at the very early stages of development. Prototyping I guess. It comes from a bonus "making of" video in the game where you see how the game shaped up during different stages of development. There is also some GDC demo footage in there (bike doing circles), which just helps you noticining the actual mud deformation routine is not as good as it was back then...

J-Rzez

DCharlie said:

It's just that you ain't got them mAd skiLLz playa... :p

In all honesty, if it's there, I didn't notice it... I do know they seem to drive more and more consistant the later in the tickets you'll get, but that's about it really... You'll have a couple of those clown cars that just wreck into everything, but there's a couple cars that run the lines and such very well and don't seem to wreck, so if you do wreck, or mess up, slow-down, caught in mud, etc, they will catch you...

Top Bottom