• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

JCX

Oh wow, this is the Pokemon game I've wanted for years. I assumed it would be mostly on the same plane like Tekken with sidestepping, but this is much better.

wiibomb

tried to watch the "trailer link"

that is no trailer.. and that spanish talking man was SO annoying I had to stop watching after 20 seconds

Dennis

Banned
Pikachu is back and this time he is pissed.

pikawinw2d9u.gif

cgXj1aC.gif

Axass

Don't understand why they don't bring it to Wii U. That console definitely needs more games.

With fighting games it's always arcade first, console later. Besides Harada basically confirmed Wii U during the reveal trailer, last year, when he said it's coming to arcades "for now" or something along those lines.

JoeM86

Don't understand why they don't bring it to Wii U. That console definitely needs more games.

This is how fighting games from Bandai Namco go. Arcade reveal - Location Tests - Arcade release - Home Console announcement.

Relax, it'll come

Sayah

The game is under development. Japanese devs do graphic polishing towards the very end.

People had the same reaction to Tekken 7s graphics.
It is especially not wise to judge based off of 240p niconico footage.

With that being said, I wasn't expecting this to be an arena fighter. In its current state, doesn't seem like the game has a substantial amount of depth. But maybe I'm wrong.

Really not liking the character renders. Looks like some horrible DeviantArt work, trying to make them look too realistic.

I could live happily not knowing the bone structure of Lucario's foot, thanks all the same.

Ooooh my son pikachu, love that gif. And it doesn't look like a tekken game!! That's soo good, have no interest in the tekken battle system

Found some gameplay details and I'm trying to sum it up. Here it is but feel free to correct me If I get anything wrong:

• That gamepad for the arcade cab is not final. It will change design down the line.
  • The game will use Namco's Banapass cards.
  • The menu screen showed options for local player vs player as well as online player vs player battles across different arcades.
  • On the Pokemon select screen, Pokemon are graded in 3 different aspect of the game. 1st is Resonance Burst mode(共鳴エネルギー) which is like the Pokemon's own 'Ultra' attack, then field phase offense and lastly duel phase offense.
  • You can select support Pokemon to assist your main fighter Pokemon. Support Pokemon have their own gauge to manage.
  • When you start off the match, the Pokemon will be in 'field phase' mode. Camera is lifted further back and Pokemon are more mobile to move around the field. This gameplay was described as '3D field action.'
  • Once the 2 Pokemon get close, the Pokemon will be in 'duel phase' mode and the camera will zoom into the Pokemon and lean onto the side. Like a 'normal' fighting game camera. This part of the game will emphasis the normal fundamentals you usually see in regular fighting games.
  • The buttons for the game are: Light attack, Heavy attack, 'Pokemon,' Jump & Support Pokemon.
  • Attacks beats throws, throws beats guarding, guarding beats attacks.
  • Guarding an opponent attacks over and over will degrade your shield. (think of it like the Super Smash Bros shield.)
  • Your Pokemon gets access to one big 'burst' attack once they're in that Resonance. You only get to use it once so I guess it's akin to an Ultra.

Big thanks to Inatekken.

It feels like some kind of weird mish-mash fighting game. There's elements of great movement outside close encounters, there's weird MvC like Assists with Support Pokemon, there's pretty much an Ultra and up close the Pokemon fight in normal fundamental fighting style fashion. All on a 3D plane.

Holy shit, the guy talking in spanish in the first trailer in the OP has a horrible voice.

Apart from that it looks really good. Pikachu looks pissed as hell lol Knew gradevoir was going to appear to have a "female" figure in the cast.

Axass

• When you start off the match, the Pokemon will be in 'field phase' mode. Camera is lifted further back and Pokemon are more mobile to move around the field. This gameplay was described as '3D field action.'
  • Once the 2 Pokemon get close, the Pokemon will be in 'duel phase' mode and the camera will zoom into the Pokemon and lean onto the side. Like a 'normal' fighting game camera. This part of the game will emphasis the normal fundamentals you usually see in regular fighting games.

Question is: is the switch to duel phase permanent, or can you go back to field phase if you go far enough?

TreIII

Question is: is the switch to duel phase permanent, or can you go back to field phase if you go far enough?

It's kinda like Psychic Force/Gundam Vs. in this way. How close you are to your opponent will determine which "phase" you are in.

It's not permanent, it's determined by the distance between the 2 fighters. So yes, if you retreat and back up, you'll eventually go back to field phase.

If the opponent is a character that is strong in Duel phase like Machamp, they'll probably try to chase you down in order to remain close to you though.

woopWOOP

Suicine stands out.. is it that more popular than the other two dogs?

I'm hoping Infernape's in for some monkey kung fu action (Blaziken being the fire/fighting one probably reduces his chance a lot tho)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It doesn't look like EXVS series really. DBZ arcade series seems like the most apt comparison.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Suicine stands out.. is it that more popular than the other two dogs?

I'm hoping Infernape's in for some monkey kung fu action (Blaziken being the fire/fighting one probably reduces his chance a lot tho)

Well, Crystal :p

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
From those match videos I think it looks really fun. I've been waiting for this game, instabuy if it comes to Wii U.

OF COURSE PIKACHU IS PLAYABLE!
WILL THERE EVER BE A POKEMON GAME WITHOUT PIKACHU???

Ok, honestly though I am excited about Gardevoir though.

I wonder if you can lock the battle perspective in free battle mode or something. I'm interested in the trainer presence and level up system!

EDIT: Siliconera posted some more news about the game. Apparently it will use this controller:
20150123_051450.png

Weirdest controller since PS3 boomerang controller.

What an odd shaped controller.

The assist Pokemon will at least lead to some fun stuff, like how GArdevoir used Fennekin to break Machamp's guard and hit him with her "Ultra". It's basic but its something.

Top Bottom