• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, you're saying the level design here is *better* than in NSMB Wii as well? Really? If so, what specifically would you say puts it ahead of the Wii one?
I suppose I cannot make that call definitely just yet, but I found myself rather displeased with the Wii game for reasons I can hardly explain myself. I think, perhaps, the move set actually makes more of a difference here. The power-ups in the Wii version and their forced waggle bothered me quite a bit, but NSMB2 sticks more closely to traditional Mario power-ups allowing me to tackle the levels as I'd prefer.

So, as a result of the improved controls and elimination of waggle actions, I'm enjoying the levels themselves much more.

jarosh

I suppose I cannot make that call definitely just yet, but I found myself rather displeased with the Wii game for reasons I can hardly explain myself. I think, perhaps, the move set actually makes more of a difference here. The power-ups in the Wii version and their forced waggle bothered me quite a bit, but NSMB2 sticks more closely to traditional Mario power-ups allowing me to tackle the levels as I'd prefer.

So, as a result of the improved controls and elimination of waggle actions, I'm enjoying the levels themselves much more.

Hm. I think most of the waggle in NSMBW was relegated to the propeller hat and it wasn't even excessive, as it required one quick waggle per jump (and only if needed/wanted). I found DKCR's waggle much worse for example, much more obtrusive. But there's no point in arguing this, really. I get that some people are bothered by any kind of waggling.

That said, I'd be surprised if your overall conclusion after finishing the game remains that this entry trumps the Wii one in terms of level design. There are some pretty amateurishly designed sections and in general the scale is smaller, the design more conventional, the execution of ideas more reserved and bite sized. In that way it's closer to NSMB 1. Although clearly it has taken a lot of inspiration from the Wii game as far as level gimmicks and moving and warping platforms are concerned. But these concepts are rarely explored to their fullest extent.

NSMB Wii had some crazy levels that really tried to squeeze every last bit of creativity out of a given idea. NSMB 2 on the other hand remains too grounded for long stretches and when it *tries* to go all out, the levels get needlessly convoluted and confusing (ghost houses) or too spacious without enough recognizable guides or landmarks, instead of turning into increasingly intricate and interesting obstacle courses.

dark10x

Hm. I think most of the waggle in NSMBW was relegated to the propeller hat and it wasn't even excessive, as it required one quick waggle per jump (and only if needed/wanted). I found DKCR's waggle much worse for example, much more obtrusive. But there's no point in arguing this, really. I get that some people are bothered by any kind of waggling.
If it were limited to the propeller, that would be OK, but they assigned the action of "picking up" items to waggle as well and THAT is the issue that really sticks with me. I use that function regularly while playing Mario and I felt that it popped up far too frequently. Furthermore, they throw way too many ice flowers and propeller hats into the levels almost forcing you to use the waggle functions.

I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The level design in this is still very tight, but presentation-wise this series has become a huge letdown. I'm okay with Nintendo maintaining an art style, but the reuse of assets is beyond shameless.

jarosh

If it were limited to the propeller, that would be OK, but they assigned the action of "picking up" items to waggle as well and THAT is the issue that really sticks with me. I use that function regularly while playing Mario and I felt that it popped up far too frequently. Furthermore, they throw way too many ice flowers and propeller hats into the levels almost forcing you to use the waggle functions.

I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Right, right. I totally forgot about picking up items! It just didn't seem like enough of a distraction to me to the point where it would have colored my feelings about the rest of the game.

My main point in that post was the level design though. But I guess I can understand how you'd get less enjoyment out of (subjectively) better designed levels if the mechanics required to traverse them ruin the overall experience for you. It's just hard for me to imagine how the minor waggle could affect someone so strongly. I tink DKCR was a great game despite the frankly infuriating waggle.

Edit: It would be interesting to see if you suddenly started to appreciate the level design in the Wii game if any and all signs of waggle would be removed from it. I'm pretty sure that can be done with a modded Wii.

dark10x

Right, right. I totally forgot about picking up items! It just didn't seem like enough of a distraction to me to the point where it would have colored my feelings about the rest of the game.

My main point in that post was the level design though. But I guess I can understand how you'd get less enjoyment out of (subjectively) better designed levels if the mechanics required to traverse them ruin the overall experience for you. It's just hard for me to imagine how the minor waggle could affect someone so strongly. I tink DKCR was a great game despite the frankly infuriating waggle.

Edit: It would be interesting to see if you suddenly started to appreciate the level design in the Wii game if any and all signs of waggle would be removed from it. I'm pretty sure that can be done with a modded Wii.
Yeah, the Wii game is a weird one. The elements are all there for me to love the game, but I just can't ever get into it. I've tried replaying it multiple times and I always end up walking away feeling dissatisfied. :\

I actually found the waggle in DKCR to be less intrusive, to be honest. I enjoyed that particular game much more despite the trial and error nature of its stages.

Do we know whether or not the WiiU game will use waggle? I'm hoping that it does not as the game itself LOOKS fantastic.

beanman25

My brother got the game also, we spent a bit of time just racing through levels to see who could beat them faster. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I can't stand waggle or motion controls and they just completely turn me off games (i struggle to enjoy SMG or DKCR for that reason as an indication of how much i dislike them). However in general they didn't really bother me much in NSMBwii. The only thing taht really bothered me was those platforms you raise and lower but it wasn't a big deal (plus i mostly played co-op and didn't have to worry about it lol).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Asymmetrical screens.

Mismatching colours if you decide to buy anything but the black one.

Far too large for the small-sized buttons.

3D is stupid, you turn it off after the novelty wears off and then you realise the fucking device is overpriced because of the goddamn gimmick.

For what it's worth, I completely and utterly agree with you--the 3DS is easily going to take the crown for "system I love most in spite of itself", but the 3DS XL is a much better looking system. I used one for like 15 seconds yesterday and the improvements in visual design and construction quality are just immediately obvious. It's not as visually drastic as Beta DS -> DS Lite but it's pretty close.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For what it's worth, I completely and utterly agree with you--the 3DS is easily going to take the crown for "system I love most in spite of itself", but the 3DS XL is a much better looking system. I used one for like 15 seconds yesterday and the improvements in visual design and construction quality are just immediately obvious. It's not as visually drastic as Beta DS -> DS Lite but it's pretty close.
I'm a kid from the nineties. This idea that portables need to get bigger is completely alien to me.

...it does look pretty sexy though.

jarosh

I actually found the waggle in DKCR to be less intrusive, to be honest.

Very odd, since in DKCR the waggle actually hindered the flow of the game for me (the blowing on flowers, ugh!) and added quite a bit of imprecision to the controls, as it was required for some of the more precise, longer jumps when rolling and jumping. The rolling always felt very stubborn, unreliable and arbitrary to me, particularly since it was often required during dangerous maneuvers, whereas in NSMBW the waggling was mostly just necessary when you're slowly descending/floating high up in mid-air (nothing too dangerous) or when standing still, trying to pick something up. It also seemed to require much less force and therefore probably felt more reliable.

Gartooth

Playing it right now and having a lot of fun despite it being all too familiar. 3D is a big disappointment so I keep it off. Also finished first 3 worlds and one of the secret ones.

Right now I'm trying to complete all of the levels, star coins, and secret exits in the other worlds before progressing to new ones, and for the life of me I can't find the middle star coin in 2-4. Also I really wish they would let you know which level has a secret exit in it instead of having to guess.

Eusis

I'm a kid from the nineties. This idea that portables need to get bigger is completely alien to me.

...it does look pretty sexy though.
Well, games ARE getting higher fidelity than they could've had on the GB or even GBA, but I do imagine you could get some of those improvements on the 3DS without increasing the size. Not to mention the 3DS XL and DSi XL probably ARE still smaller than most handhelds worth bothering with before the Game Boy Pocket.

Also for better or worse more IS crammed on, if this lacked the analog slider it'd have WAY less need for a bigger revision.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will say this about DKCR: I personally think it was meant to be played with wiimote+nunchuk rather than 'classic game style' with Wiimote in nes pad orientation.

The wrist snap to roll seems far more natural, like one is playing Mario Galaxy, and the 'ground pound' motion works better (and is more fun - remember fun?) when you can tap the nuchuck and wiimote up and down together. Plus, with the way the character physics work in that game, I don't think you loose any responsiveness by playing with the analog stick. The characters are big and heavy.

That said, I always agreed it should have had a CC option built in. But I find playing with the wiimote and nunchuck far more comfortable than just wiimote.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I just hit the credits, though I certainly haven't finished with the game in the slightest. Just before I add my current thoughts I'll preface this by saying that I really didn't like NSMB - it was not awful, just uninspiring. Those years of not making Mario had left them rusty. By contrast NSMB Wii was a marvellous game, creative and exciting both in single and multiplayer; possibly my favourite game this generation.

NSMB 2 does not reach the heights of the Wii edition. It lacks the brilliance of its level designs, which were expansive yet precise. They had an amazing pace and flow if you wanted to speed through a level yet were crammed full of bits to explore if you wanted to be more thorough.

Some of 2's levels do reach those heights and have a genuine rhythm to them, but not often enough. On the other hand, the coins and exits seem to be placed in a far more interesting and creative manner than both games. They are harder to find in general yet don't require obscure logic or trial and error to find (well, so far at least). This is a huge step up from NSMB which I 100%d in ten hours earlier this week.

I think the main problem with the level design comes in a lack of thematic creativity. Water levels and ghost houses feel like they are in there because they have to be, yet they genuinely - and this is not exclusive to this game - are inferior to more traditional levels. There is one exception - one water level has you being pushed through the level by air currents which was an interesting change. Certainly though, there are not enough interesting new themes or ideas such as the boner-coaster (that sounds so wrong) or the excellent and devilish spinning platform levels from NSMBW.

However I do like some of the new power ups. The golden flower is ok, I guess, but the golden rings are a great little feature and the gold block hat is excellent. I really hope the latter returns in future games.

Overall it is a very good Mario platformer - below 3, World and NSMBW but above the rest. Coin Rush mode adds a lot to it and there is certainly more that could be done in that area. A time trial/speed run mode needs to be in future games with accompanying leaderboards. But that should have been in the game for a long time, I feel.

zigg

I'm hearing (haven't tried this, yet, since my daughter won't have her copy until her birthday) that multiplayer is plagued by slowdown. Can anyone confirm/deny?

daakusedo

Coin rush really make the game shine.
Things like a block containing a gold mushroom you have to hit fast before a spiky boulder crush it takes another dimension. That's a particular flow between speedrun and making good decision where to spend time, I'm rediscovering levels, last pack played contained the vertical ice level with boulders, it makes that good level even better with how busy you are and finishing with first castle, blockhead run while balancing on ropes, maybe the better feeling of the game.

Having the gold flower in stock made me like it even more, keeping it for an appropriate level and making the run even harder to not lose it. Also I notice after a giant mushroom, the flower get back to stock, so potential for using it in two levels.

Still no 30k score.

VICI0US

There was one good thing about NSMB DS.

I did like this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAa-_SlRCY

Did it get dropped in NSMBWii and this game? I can't remember hearing it in either.

totally agree, i replayed through NSMB DS in anticipation of NSMB2, and it totally reminded me how much I loved that track. best song in the game IMO, and yes, it sadly does seem to be missing.

figures, they remix/reuse music but leave out one of the best tracks..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did someone mention every hidden exit in this game is obtainable with powerups found inside the level? Because if so, they're wrong.
3-Tower's hidden exit needs Mini-Mario, and the mini Mushroom doesn't appear until 3-B

jarosh

Did someone mention every hidden exit in this game is obtainable with powerups found inside the level? Because if so, they're wrong.
3-Tower's hidden exit needs Mini-Mario, and the mini Mushroom doesn't appear until 3-B
I don't remember anyone saying that. I think it's been pretty clear for a while that this isn't the case. I've been annoyed by it plenty and people have mentioned it in here just recently.

I will say this about DKCR: I personally think it was meant to be played with wiimote+nunchuk rather than 'classic game style' with Wiimote in nes pad orientation.

The wrist snap to roll seems far more natural, like one is playing Mario Galaxy, and the 'ground pound' motion works better (and is more fun - remember fun?) when you can tap the nuchuck and wiimote up and down together. Plus, with the way the character physics work in that game, I don't think you loose any responsiveness by playing with the analog stick. The characters are big and heavy.

That said, I always agreed it should have had a CC option built in. But I find playing with the wiimote and nunchuck far more comfortable than just wiimote.
I never had any problems with waggle roll, I chalk it up to using the nunchuck style, hell until about two months ago I had no idea the game had a run button for the sideways remote control so I tried it for the first time and it felt pretty awkward, I feel that the game was designed with nunchuck style in mind, blowing still sucks though.
NSMB Wii on the other hand, sideways remote just felt right for that one and the waggle wasn't too intrusive, you know I really miss that little midair spin from NSMBwii in this game but on the other hand i'm grateful for not having to fling the 3DS around.

There was one good thing about NSMB DS.

I did like this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAa-_SlRCY

Did it get dropped in NSMBWii and this game? I can't remember hearing it in either.

Yeah, the original NSMB has its own map themes, Desert, Tropical, Underwater, Volcano, Ghost House and Castle themes that haven't been reused by other NSMB games. Though the only real losses there are the castle and underwater themes.
To the Deserts credit it has the most inventive BAH usage in the series with the block tower enemies that jump upon the BAH sound.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I mentioned it's the normal formula for Mario games to provide you what you need in level, and that the first couple of worlds appeared to follow it. So of course that would change after that. :p

codhand

How many people actually beat the Luigi stuff in 3D Land? I certainly didn't and just went back to that, instead of getting a new game. I loved Wario Land 3 so fond memories mass coin collecting, but not sure about 39.99 at the moment.

zigg

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
It has occasional bouts of severe lag for sure.
It's so bad I wonder whether co-op was even significantly tested.
Boo. Well, thanks for that. I wonder if there's any way to improve it, e.g. by removing interference.

How many people actually beat the Luigi stuff in 3D Land?
I did! I got my five sparkly stars and all that shiz.

(Should've gone rainbow after I beat S8-Crown, but whatchagonnado.)

VICI0US

How many people actually beat the Luigi stuff in 3D Land? I certainly didn't and just went back to that, instead of getting a new game. I loved Wario Land 3 so fond memories mass coin collecting, but not sure about 39.99 at the moment.

I did

5*d my first profile--all levels beaten as mario and luigi, all gold flags,etc.. I'm even crazy and beat the crown level twice with no tanooki suit

I'm working on 5*ing a second file now that the XL is out.

that game's a blast.

JoeInky

I just realised bowser jr. isn't in this.

Really hope this means they'ved axed that fuck, give me the likes of iggy, ludwig, roy and morton over him any day.

Also what's with the lack of love for magikoopas in the NSMB series? The boss fight in NSMBWii was great and I'd love to see them return as regular enemies, the only enemy better than them is dry bones (<3'd seeing those guys in 3D for the first time in galaxy).

Poor old Bowser Jr, if he was part of the original Koopaling lineup and given a name to reflect some sort of music based celebrity of the era he'd probably be well loved.
That said I like most of the Koopalings more than him, Ludwig is leagues above the rest though.

If any Mario enemy is shafted in this series it's Shyguys, though I guess them being the main mooks of the Yoshi series makes up for it.

Even tough i live in Brazil, i plan to buy the US Digital Version, since it is MUCH cheaper (here at least, since they are asking the equivalent of U$ 75 in our eshop - http://www.**********.com/?mode=viewstory&id=183690)! I already have all my game accounts (live, psn, appstore, etc) in the US, so i plan to do this again with Nintendo.

The problem is, i cant pay with my credit card, i have to use a pre-paid card. I would like to know if when you buy in the eshop they charge taxes... because if they do, i will have to put more than 40 dollars on my account... my "fake" adress is in California :)

Tks in advance!!

JoeInky

I felt so happy when I saw whomps in that one castle, it's a great level with all the thwomps, whomps, dry bones and dry pirahna plants.

Rex and Chargin' Chuck should have made a reappearance, too, considering we had Reznor's.

Also Hot Heads and Dino Rhinos and Dry Beetles and Blaargs and... just reuse every enemy that's never had a 3D model dammit.

I should add that Whomps were in the first NSMB, that game took a few of the enemies from Mario 64 like the spiders, coin frog, Amps, generic dire dire docks shark and eels, maybe they made use of the 64 remake or something.

The enemy lineup in this game is a bit weak, not much new added to the equation, when dry piranha plants that are easily dispatched by the raccoon tale are like the big new draw then we have some problems. Have the NSMB games actually added any new species to the mix? we've had alternative versions of Boos, Spikes and so on but i'm failing to think of anything actually new.

Edit: Oh there were those annoying Boxing Ghosts with the bland as hell design and the cloud things that billowed screen obscuring...clouds?

Yes Boss!

The problem is, i cant pay with my credit card, i have to use a pre-paid card. I would like to know if when you buy in the eshop they charge taxes... because if they do, i will have to put more than 40 dollars on my account... my "fake" adress is in California :)

Tks in advance!!

Taxes in Cali? No we don't get taxed on digital purchases, eShop included. $40 is enough.

Kard8p3

I just realised bowser jr. isn't in this.

Really hope this means they'ved axed that fuck, give me the likes of iggy, ludwig, roy and morton over him any day.

Also what's with the lack of love for magikoopas in the NSMB series? The boss fight in NSMBWii was great and I'd love to see them return as regular enemies, the only enemy better than them is dry bones (<3'd seeing those guys in 3D for the first time in galaxy).

Now that I think about it he wasn't in 3d land either. Maybe they're phasing him out.

StAidan

I haven't had much time to play this yet, but I'm at about the halfway point of World 2.

I didn't really expect this release to break any new ground, so I can't say I've been disappointed on that front. As a Mario game, though, it's definitely nothing more than average. I probably enjoyed 3D Land more than this, which is saying something since I'm a 2D Mario die-hard.

Anyway, on a positive note, I like the golden fire flower as a powerup, even without the over-the-top "collect coinz!" goal of NSMB2.

Minor annoyance: Can't save any time I darn well please. I hold onto my star coins so I can open up a roadblock when I'm ready to take a break.

Anth0ny

Alrighty, just finished the main game.

For a second, I really thought FINAL BOSS SPOILERS
The first phase of the Bowser fight was the entire fight. That would have been hilarious, these NSMB games are so damn simplistic that the final boss is basically the first boss from the original SMB. Oh well :p

Impressions so far:

-Probably the shortest Mario game I've ever played. Not sure why they opted for only 6 main worlds this time around, especially coming off 3D Land, which probably had the most stages of any Mario game.

-I was pretty impressed with the level design. Maybe that's because my expectations were rock fucking bottom going into this game. Whatever the reason, I'm impressed with what the B team has managed to accomplish, and it gives me hope that the A team will be on their game with NSMB U.

So far, the game's been pretty solid, but nothing special, as expected from a NSMB game. Time to dive into those special worlds and collect all the star coins.

Teknoman

I haven't had much time to play this yet, but I'm at about the halfway point of World 2.

I didn't really expect this release to break any new ground, so I can't say I've been disappointed on that front. As a Mario game, though, it's definitely nothing more than average. I probably enjoyed 3D Land more than this, which is saying something since I'm a 2D Mario die-hard.

Anyway, on a positive note, I like the golden fire flower as a powerup, even without the over-the-top "collect coinz!" goal of NSMB2.

Minor annoyance: Can't save any time I darn well please. I hold onto my star coins so I can open up a roadblock when I'm ready to take a break.

Just quick save. I also support more magikoopas as enemies, and the idea of a full
dry
castle in the first
mushroom warp zone
world was cool.

your quicksave doesn't work?

Socreges

Banned
I'm liking it so far, the but the coins are just a nuisance. I get little satisfaction from collecting so many so they just end up detracting from the core game as they shit on everything. Ah well.

dark10x, sounds like you're finally becoming aware of your insanity. ;)

Here are my stats for NSMB2. This is for 100%ed the game, getting all the star coins and beating every level.

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Started Saturday August 18th 11:32 PM
Finished Monday August 20th 2012 1:29 PM
Playtime: 9:46
Average Playtime: 9:46
Lives: 391
Coins: 32,807

That...has to be the biggest average playtime I have ever O_O

I was getting mad that it looked like I didn't 100% the game but I remembered what you had to do for the final save file star because I remember someone else mentioning it.
Get 1,000 and some odd lives.

So yea, I consider that 100%. will replay through the game as Luigi/in 2D to see different background and play some coin rush later. Right now I am burnt out lol.

RagnarokX

Alrighty, just finished the main game.

For a second, I really thought FINAL BOSS SPOILERS
The first phase of the Bowser fight was the entire fight. That would have been hilarious, these NSMB games are so damn simplistic that the final boss is basically the first boss from the original SMB. Oh well :p

Impressions so far:

-Probably the shortest Mario game I've ever played. Not sure why they opted for only 6 main worlds this time around, especially coming off 3D Land, which probably had the most stages of any Mario game.

-I was pretty impressed with the level design. Maybe that's because my expectations were rock fucking bottom going into this game. Whatever the reason, I'm impressed with what the B team has managed to accomplish, and it gives me hope that the A team will be on their game with NSMB U.

So far, the game's been pretty solid, but nothing special, as expected from a NSMB game. Time to dive into those special worlds and collect all the star coins.

They followed NSMB's world progression template but numbered the worlds differently. In NSMB3 the normal path was 1,2,3,5,6,8. This game really goes 1,2,4,5,7,8, but the worlds that would have been 3 and 6 are mushroom and flower instead. NSMB didn't even have a 9th world.

zroid

Banned
If any Mario enemy is shafted in this series it's Shyguys, though I guess them being the main mooks of the Yoshi series makes up for it.

It is weird how they seemingly took the SMB2 (US) canon and kind of turned it into Yoshi canon, beginning with Yoshi's Island.

The decision-making behind stuff like this always intrigues me.

Top Bottom