• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGs

Industry Professional
not that i dont trust BGs, but he works at a film studio. i have no idea why sony would hand out devkits to film studios.

and spanish ones at that. hes supposedly a vr dev but i dont see anything about vr on their website. dont know what games they have made before either. i would think devkits would only be sent to big studios so far.
All the details are known by those who need to know, the GAF and ERA Staff.

We have not been Adnplayfilms for years.

That website is old and outdated.

Now we are AdnPlay. And inside is the VR producer.

On the "good" website we do mention to VR.

And now, I'll send you a serious PM.

The only BC that matters for a considerable amount of consumers is ps4 BC. How would they make money off ps1-3 BC?
I'd be pretty miffed if sony wasted resources on ps1-3 BC just to appease a few thousand people.
Through PSNow subscriptions. A lot of people would pay 60 a year for a selection of PS1-5 games. Also, if they make PS5 BC with all PS generations, that means they don't have to run those games in their servers for PS5 users, so they can save some money there too.

I don't have the full picture yet, but I think it could make sense for them in certain scenarios.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I haven't said the PS5 is RDNA or RDNA 2 I can see what it says above but microsoft have said the XSX is RDNA2 Sony haven't. If Sony have a 13tf RDNA 2 faster SSD better Ray tracing console that out performs the XSX why aren't they saying so. And i don't believe this they don't want to affect PS4 sales and games like last of us 2, Ghost of Tsushima which will play on PS5 anyway.Either the PS5 is much weaker than the XSX or they do have a stronger console but it could be delayed.
🤦‍♂️There's tons of reasons tht have been discussed on why thy hvnt said anything. Sony isn't working off Microsoft time nor need to be Reactionary thy are the gaming hardware sales leader. What part of tht is so hard to understand? Like some of you just really are reaching. Your logic is frivolous, these things are strategized in advance and it may very well be Sony has had a date in mind for months thy are sticking too not reacting off Microsoft who wish thy were currently in Sony's position in the gaming market. It didbt happen during ps4 and it won't happen now, Microsoft tend to be the ones screaming high from the heavens even when some of what thy are offering is mediocre like Crackdown 3, kinect, etc. As opposed to you know Sony releasing dope games like Horizon Zero Dawn at weird months still selling a ton, Sony just dropping a wired article with ps5 info when no one knew and still generating buzz, etc it's what thy do. It really isn't about how you do it but what your doing and the quality behind the name and Sony has tht mindshare in spades globally 😊

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, you are suggesting that Oberon is RDNA2 from day 1?

I can't get around the fact that if it's running on Ariel iGpu profile, shouldn't the chipset's native info show that it's an RDNA2 chip?

Current data that we have is pointing to it being navi10/RDNA.

Basing it purely on the tweet by rogame
EMyJPSPUcAA-W-L

In any case, I seem to recall there was a patent on BC by Cerny. Possible link to these regression tests, I might have to read up on it.

Rogame's tweets have about as much relative context as the Github leak and testing data information in general (or the insider rumors, for that matter), meaning there isn't full context.

I've been under the impression that the information in those tweets might've been reflective of the testlists using the Ariel iGPU profile in regression. It's also possible that maybe the first Oberon revision was an RDNA1 part but other revisions were the RDNA2 chip.

What i don't really buy is the idea Oberon has no relation to the final PS5 chip. I think by now if there were a final PS5 chip aside from Oberon, we'd of seen proof of i, even if hasn't gone through as many revisions. The timing of the E0 revision shows that Oberon is or at least was tested fairly recently, too, but E0 didn't provide a lot of data outside of evidence the memory controller had been fixed up.

So I'm inclined to think the Navi 10 listing is just reflecting the Ariel iGPU profile from Ariel's testlists ran on Oberon in regression. You'll also notice that since those tweets other things relating to Oberon have changed with other revisions; again to E0, the bandwidth was increased and the bandwidth figure listed can't be reached with 14Gbps chips on a 256-bit bus.

*EDIT: I don't know if I want to suggest Oberon was RDNA2 from Day 1; however a lot of people (myself included) were always working under the impression RDNA2 was 7nm EUV. Then Thursday's news came that caused confusion, but it appears AMD have clarified and stated that the change was only in nomenclature, not the understood process. So they're simply referring to RDNA2 as 7nm even if it's fabbed on 7nm+.

...unless I'm missing something on that front? Anyway, yeah. I still think the Navi 10 listing in Rogame's tweets are just the Ariel iGPU profile testlist data running on Oberon, and we haven't gotten any testing data yet running on the full Oberon chip.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
🤦‍♂️There's tons of reasons tht have been discussed on why thy hvnt said anything. Sony isn't working off Microsoft time nor need to be Reactionary thy are the gaming hardware sales leader. What part of tht is so hard to understand? Like some of you just really are reaching. Your logic is frivolous, these things are strategized in advance and it may very well be Sony has had a date in mind for months thy are sticking too not reacting off Microsoft who wish thy were currently in Sony's position in the gaming market. It didbt happen during ps4 and it won't happen now, Microsoft tend to be the ones screaming high from the heavens even when some of what thy are offering is mediocre like Crackdown 3, kinect, etc. As opposed to you know Sony releasing dope games like Horizon Zero Dawn at weird months still selling a ton, Sony just dropping a wired article with ps5 info when no one knew and still generating buzz, etc it's wgat thy do.

Remember how Microsoft reacted to the PSVR with that Hololens smoke and mirrors garbage just a fill in the E3 timeslot. That was a PR joke right up there with Milo and the Star Wars Kinect “demo”.

All the details are known by those who need to know, the GAF and ERA Staff.

We have not been Adnplayfilms for years.

That website is old and outdated.

Now we are AdnPlay. And inside is the VR producer.

On the "good" website we do mention to VR.

And now, I'll send you a serious PM.
BGs BGs any new puzzle you want to share related to that new black box or how well the raytracing works in RDNA 2 ? Vamos amigo :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Remember how Microsoft reacted to the PSVR with that Hololens smoke and mirrors garbage just a fill in the E3 timeslot. That was a PR joke right up there with Milo and the Star Wars Kinect “demo”.

Bro I've been gaming a long time you know I know how thy do. These are the things tht have turned gamers off to them but ppl act like it's some magic arbitrary brand loyalty pushing ppl to prefer Sony consoles.

Good thing is they have been consumer friendly lately bcus thy were forced to and making some gd moves.

Last edited:
People love touting it like its some groundbreaking feature but lets be honest..... nobody really gives that much of a fuck about it lol.

This gen xbox fanboys have loved flaunting it but lets be honest, they barely use it. Maybe a little more than normal tho since ms first party lineup has been weak this gen.

It is a great feature to have at the start of a gen, as it can increase adoption from owners of the previous system. However, for them to act like it was a big deal 2 years into the gen, it had helped them "win" E3 that year, and that it would change the XBO's fortunes was naive at best.

Having said that, I still do hope Sony works some magic and includes it going all the way back to PS1. Then, I can play all of my digital PS1-PS4 games all on one system.

BGs

Industry Professional
I stopped posting in the other thread due to the sheer stupidity and ignorance on display. I mean a complete fundamental misunderstanding of things just to spit an agenda. Crazy.

I’ve sorta stopped posting in this one too for a lot of the same reasons, but at least here it’s 50/50. But you may have noticed anybody of actual relevance to this conversation has stopped as well, funny that? @HeisenbergFX4 , BGs BGs , OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , Tommy F... Oh right.

It’s like common sense and technical knowledge took a back seat recently to complete shitcocking. Ehhh...

Which is a shame...

👀👀👀

5rXQWU8.gif

What do you mean?

Neo Blaster

🤦‍♂️There's tons of reasons tht have been discussed on why thy hvnt said anything. Sony isn't working off Microsoft time nor need to be Reactionary thy are the gaming hardware sales leader. What part of tht is so hard to understand? Like some of you just really are reaching. Your logic is frivolous, these things are strategized in advance and it may very well be Sony has had a date in mind for months thy are sticking too not reacting off Microsoft who wish thy were currently in Sony's position in the gaming market. It didbt happen during ps4 and it won't happen now, Microsoft tend to be the ones screaming high from the heavens even when some of what thy are offering is mediocre like Crackdown 3, kinect, etc. As opposed to you know Sony releasing dope games like Horizon Zero Dawn at weird months still selling a ton, Sony just dropping a wired article with ps5 info when no one knew and still generating buzz, etc it's what thy do. It really isn't about how you do it but what your doing and the quality behind the name and Sony has tht mindshare in spades globally 😊
Sony be like:

Razzy-

Rogame's tweets have about as much relative context as the Github leak and testing data information in general (or the insider rumors, for that matter), meaning there isn't full context.

I've been under the impression that the information in those tweets might've been reflective of the testlists using the Ariel iGPU profile in regression. It's also possible that maybe the first Oberon revision was an RDNA1 part but other revisions were the RDNA2 chip.

What i don't really buy is the idea Oberon has no relation to the final PS5 chip. I think by now if there were a final PS5 chip aside from Oberon, we'd of seen proof of i, even if hasn't gone through as many revisions. The timing of the E0 revision shows that Oberon is or at least was tested fairly recently, too, but E0 didn't provide a lot of data outside of evidence the memory controller had been fixed up.

So I'm inclined to think the Navi 10 listing is just reflecting the Ariel iGPU profile from Ariel's testlists ran on Oberon in regression. You'll also notice that since those tweets other things relating to Oberon have changed with other revisions; again to E0, the bandwidth was increased and the bandwidth figure listed can't be reached with 14Gbps chips on a 256-bit bus.

*EDIT: I don't know if I want to suggest Oberon was RDNA2 from Day 1; however a lot of people (myself included) were always working under the impression RDNA2 was 7nm EUV. Then Thursday's news came that caused confusion, but it appears AMD have clarified and stated that the change was only in nomenclature, not the understood process. So they're simply referring to RDNA2 as 7nm even if it's fabbed on 7nm+.

...unless I'm missing something on that front? Anyway, yeah. I still think the Navi 10 listing in Rogame's tweets are just the Ariel iGPU profile testlist data running on Oberon, and we haven't gotten any testing data yet running on the full Oberon chip.

My initial thoughts were that the revision to stepping E0 could be the update to RDNA2 too as well. I asked about it here if revisions are merely tweaks or possible major upgrade. Chip designs and such are not my forte.

I can see it being possible as per your scenario being true. Only issue here is we don't have that crucial data on latest steeping E0 (outside of bandwidth tweaks) with ps5 test case profiles. Frustrating indeed.

Then again all these data that we have, could be irrelevant. Maybe it is for one of the Dev kit revisions. Can't rule that out either:messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

lynux3

not that i dont trust BGs, but he works at a film studio. i have no idea why sony would hand out devkits to film studios.

and spanish ones at that. hes supposedly a vr dev but i dont see anything about vr on their website. dont know what games they have made before either. i would think devkits would only be sent to big studios so far.
Wow dude. Grow up.

Now after see RDNA 2 I have a doubt if the retailer xbox series x has 56 CU (maybe only the dev kit) because with those improvementis perfomance/watt (if are realistc and not in some specific workloads) 56 CU clock to less than 1.7 ghz see a little low ti that form factor.

I am starting to think that maybe the Xbox Series X could deliver more than 12TF RDNA2 after all and that Sony & Microsoft are just playing a big hawk–dove game in our faces :)

I can see Sony revealing a 13tf console and, a few days later, MS stating that they have improved the specs to 14TF. We know now that this is theoretically possible with the new RDNA2 tech.

I will be happy with a PS5 13TF/XSX 14TF by the way, but this is just pure speculation.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Razzy-, publicación: 257234778, miembro: 781212"]
Corrígeme si me equivoco, ¿estás sugiriendo que Oberon es RDNA2 desde el día 1?

No puedo evitar el hecho de que si se está ejecutando en el perfil de Ariel iGpu, ¿no debería la información nativa del conjunto de chips mostrar que es un chip RDNA2?

Los datos actuales que tenemos apuntan a que es navi10 / RDNA.

Basándolo puramente en el tweet de rogame
EMyJPSPUcAA-W-L

En cualquier caso, creo recordar que Cerny tenía una patente sobre BC. Posible enlace a estas pruebas de regresión, podría tener que leer sobre ello.
[/CITAR]

giphy.gif

xPikYx

It's incredible how people interpret informations as their liking and spread all over like it was the absolute truth. While we can find the answer using the simplest of the assumptions.
At the game awards phil spencer stated "xbox series X is double the power of XsX" it was obvious that XsX would be 12tf but people need the confirmation, because they started strange assumptions on GCN tf RDNA tf like this was in the account, WTF! we didn't need any confirmation, the answer was there "when we do the maths we are 8 times Xone and double XoneX" simple as that. Simple like Ps5 and XsX share the same "latest radeon technolgy" and "hadware based Raytracing", what you people still don't understand out of this? You prefer believing in flying donkeys github than companies telling you what will be in your face, wake up!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I haven't said the PS5 is RDNA or RDNA 2 I can see what it says above but microsoft have said the XSX is RDNA2 Sony haven't. If Sony have a 13tf RDNA 2 faster SSD better Ray tracing console that out performs the XSX why aren't they saying so. And i don't believe this they don't want to affect PS4 sales and games like last of us 2, Ghost of Tsushima which will play on PS5 anyway.Either the PS5 is much weaker than the XSX or they do have a stronger console but it could be delayed.
Okay...where are you getting that from if the PS5 is RDNA 2?

Is it possible? Yeah. But saying the PS5 is RDNA 2 doesn't automatically mean those things happen.

Honestly, PS5 being RDNA 2 adds even more doubt to the github data. Being RDNA 2 also gives weight to the 2GHz results for Oberon.

Being RDNA 2 adds doubt to Nav10 in the github data.

Instead of some folks treating github as gospel, it should be scrutinized even more.

Edit: I need to rephrase something. RDNA 2 for PS5 puts in doubt:
PS5 being Nav10,
Sony using their own ray tracing,
the final cu count,
it makes the 2Ghz in github make sense.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh man I have found an AWESOME post by someone on REEEE, goes into full explanation about why the Oberon GitHub leak isn't the final PS5 hardware, he said the following...

By Jeffrem:

There are 3 reasons to question the implications of the leaked documents:

1. They are full of mistakes and inaccuracies
  • There are files in wrong folders, there are sub folders and wrong folders. Again, when people say these are legitimate, they mean that this is what is legitimately in the files, not that the files are correct or accurate all the time.
  • The biggest issue is that they claim Spakrman (Lockhart) is 56CUs. Every reason you have to believe Oberon is PS5, you have to believe that Sparkman is Lockhart. Sparkman BC mode indicates it can replicate a One S.
However confident you are that PS5 is 36 CUs, must must be equally confident that Lockhart is 56CUs. Or the other way around, how ever skeptical you are that these leaks confirm Lockhart is 56CUs, you must be equally skeptical these leaks confirm PS5 is 36CUs.

2. The leaks if taken at face value, fly in the face of every credible insider we have, including develeper sources and industry sources, that say the Series X and PS5 are very close in power.
  • We've had Jason Schreier News Editor of Kotaku, Andrew Reiner Executive Editor at Game Informer, Our own Mods, and Vetted industry insider and veteran Klee, and other insiders all say the consoles are close in power.
  • They specifically claim PS5 and Scarlett were close in power according to those sources. And All of that is in the same time window these leaks are from, which according to DF is the point where it's too late to make changes. None of them have come out and said the the tables have turned. The Github leaks are new to us, but they are actually older than the leaks we've gotten from insiders.
So, Actual insiders who actually know about the target specs of the PS5 and Xbox Series X (rather than drawing conclusions from indirect and uncontextualized data points) with a network of sources (instead of an interns notepad) are saying something to the contrary of what the leak indicates at face value.

3. The documents, if taken at face value, don't pass the sniff test, and an alternative makes more sense

• The test were done without VRR and RT, when we know that at the very least PS5 has RT. This means that the tests we have access to are not the full PS5 in at least one way.
  • 36CUs at 2GHz, is not a reasonable way to hit 9.2TFs, if that's the target. Every bit of historical and contextual data we have for consoles points to a wide and slow approach to console APUs. Efficiencies, Thermals, Cooling Costs, and reliability have all proven to be reasons that trump a lower sized and faster APU. Why would Sony feel any different? What technology would change the equation? I'm not aware of any, so I don't expect that approach to change.
  • 36CUs would also make this the smallest APU Sony has made in a decade. In a world where Sony is dominating in terms of sales and profitability, where they've come out and aid that PS5 is going to be Niche product aimed at the hardcore who what the best and latest, where that is corroborated by their rumoured bleeding edge SSD tech, a small APU doesn't make sense.
  • Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What do we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating you shouldn't take it as a certainty of the PS5s total performance, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test so that possibility can't be dismissed."

End of quote.

1. I should add that Jason Schreier said that both Sony & Microsoft were aiming for higher than Google's Stadia 10.7 TF number, (no GCN/RDNA qualifiers here) AFTER the Xbox Series X's 12 TFs rumor came out, so that's that.

2. I should add that Andrew Reiner said PS5 is more powerful than XSX and that's at the time when they knew that XSX is 12 TFs machine as this is according to Arthur Gies, who works at Polygon.

3. Also now the final nail in the coffin for the GitHub leak is that AMD CONFIRMED PS5 will have Navi 2X RDNA 2 GPU with Hardware RT & VRS.

4. Matt (outstanding long track record) and Kleegamefan (someone who got verified twice and is an industry veteran for more than 20 years), have both denied the Oberon as being the final PS5 hardware, and Klee said PS5 is more powerful than XSX, slightly.

5. AMD have even talked about emulating and simulating future hardware and architectures for future products to streamline and fasten the processes and stuff like that, this explains the existence of Oberon and some other tests, and that can be found here, at 46:00.

I want OsirisBlack OsirisBlack input on my comment on all this.

Last edited:

demigod

Oh man I have found an AWESOME post by someone on REEEE, goes into full explanation about why the Oberon GitHub leak isn't the final PS5 hardware, he said the following...

By Jeffrem:

There are 3 reasons to question the implications of the leaked documents:

1. They are full of mistakes and inaccuracies
  • There are files in wrong folders, there are sub folders and wrong folders. Again, when people say these are legitimate, they mean that this is what is legitimately in the files, not that the files are correct or accurate all the time.
  • The biggest issue is that they claim Spakrman (Lockhart) is 56CUs. Every reason you have to believe Oberon is PS5, you have to believe that Sparkman is Lockhart. Sparkman BC mode indicates it can replicate a One S.
However confident you are that PS5 is 36 CUs, must must be equally confident that Lockhart is 56CUs. Or the other way around, how ever skeptical you are that these leaks confirm Lockhart is 56CUs, you must be equally skeptical these leaks confirm PS5 is 36CUs.

2. The leaks if taken at face value, fly in the face of every credible insider we have, including develeper sources and industry sources, that say the Series X and PS5 are very close in power.
  • We've had Jason Schreier News Editor of Kotaku, Andrew Reiner Executive Editor at Game Informer, Our own Mods, and Vetted industry insider and veteran Klee, and other insiders all say the consoles are close in power.
  • They specifically claim PS5 and Scarlett were close in power according to those sources. And All of that is in the same time window these leaks are from, which according to DF is the point where it's too late to make changes. None of them have come out and said the the tables have turned. The Github leaks are new to us, but they are actually older than the leaks we've gotten from insiders.
So, Actual insiders who actually know about the target specs of the PS5 and Xbox Series X (rather than drawing conclusions from indirect and uncontextualized data points) with a network of sources (instead of an interns notepad) are saying something to the contrary of what the leak indicates at face value.

3. The documents, if taken at face value, don't pass the sniff test, and an alternative makes more sense

• The test were done without VRR and RT, when we know that at the very least PS5 has RT. This means that the tests we have access to are not the full PS5 in at least one way.
  • 36CUs at 2GHz, is not a reasonable way to hit 9.2TFs, if that's the target. Every bit of historical and contextual data we have for consoles points to a wide and slow approach to console APUs. Efficiencies, Thermals, Cooling Costs, and reliability have all proven to be reasons that trump a lower sized and faster APU. Why would Sony feel any different? What technology would change the equation? I'm not aware of any, so I don't expect that approach to change.
  • 36CUs would also make this the smallest APU Sony has made in a decade. In a world where Sony is dominating in terms of sales and profitability, where they've come out and aid that PS5 is going to be Niche product aimed at the hardcore who what the best and latest, where that is corroborated by their rumoured bleeding edge SSD tech, a small APU doesn't make sense.
  • Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What do we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating you shouldn't take it as a certainty of the PS5s total performance, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test so that possibility can't be dismissed."

End of quote.

1. I should add that Jason Schreier said that both Sony & Microsoft were aiming for higher than Google's Stadia 10.7 TF number, (no GCN/RDNA qualifiers here) AFTER the Xbox Series X's 12 TFs rumor came out, so that's that.

2. I should add that Andrew Reiner said PS5 is more powerful than XSX and that's at the time when they knew that XSX is 12 TFs machine as this is according to Arthur Gies, who works at Polygon.

3. Also now the final nail in the coffin for the GitHub leak is that AMD CONFIRMED PS5 will have Navi 2X RDNA 2 GPU with Hardware RT & VRS.

4. Matt (outstanding long track record) and Kleegamefan (someone who got verified twice and is an industry veteran for more than 20 years), have both denied the Oberon as being the final PS5 hardware, and Klee said PS5 is more powerful than XSX, slightly.

5. They have even talked about emulating and simulating future hardware and architectures for future products to streamline and fasten the processes and stuff like that, and that can be found here, at 46:00.

I believe this post was months old but he made some good deductions. The thing that I believe most got wrong was the activation of RT and VRS. IIRC, the only thing the PS4 Pro disabled for BC with PS4 were the 18CU, that’s it. No other features like checkerboarding was disabled. This is why I now firmly believe Oberon is not rdna 2.

demigod

It's funny that Klobrille posted that reddit rumor after it was being reported that PS5 would have RDNA 2. This guy has his sources, but in some ways, he's no different, than guys like Colt, Dealer and Tim Dog.

I missed it, can you link what he posted?

PocoJoe

Banned
Okay...where are you getting that from if the PS5 is RDNA 2?

It's it possible? Yeah. But saying the PS5 is RDNA 2 doesn't automatically mean those things happen.

Honestly, PS5 being RDNA 2 adds even more doubt to the github data. Being RDNA 2 also gives weight to the 2GHz results for Oberon.

Being RDNA 2 adds doubt to Nav10 in the github data.

Instead of some folks treating github as gospel, it should be scrutinized even more.

Edit: I need to rephrase something. RDNA 2 for PS5 puts in doubt:
PS5 being Nav10,
Sony using they own ray tracing,
the final cu count,
it makes the 2Ghz in github make sense.
2GHz github makes sense only to retards and trolls.

Sony is hi-tec company, no way they would not have rdna2 also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom