• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl LI |OT| Rise Up, Go LI Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there one good ad this year?

I mean, as much as I liked the F U TRUMPY ads, I really felt like no one bothered to be memorable.
I think the Bud one was my favorite of the anti-Trump ads and the only one I think I'll remember after this. I've already forgotten most of the others except for that damn Skittles one lol.

phanphare

Banned
I am sorry ATL fans. as an nfc south rival I was pulling for yall. welcome to the fuck tom brady and his last minute super bowl comeback wins club. 13 years later and the dude's better than ever. I don't know how he does it

electrotonus

Neo Member
It was politicized as soon as their QB and coach decided to openly endorse white supremacy.

Sorry if the real-life suffering caused by their president bleeds into your entertainment.

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are just two people of an organization consisting of hundreds of people. Granted, they are two key people but you still can't make the case that those two people outweigh all the other players and coaches that might be on the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Also, it is not like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady officially declared to play and win for President Trump. If Brady took the Lombardi Trophy from Terry Bradshaw while screaming 'This one's for President Trump! MAGA!' I would understand the politicization. But I don't think that politics was even on the mind of any of the players or coaches in that moment.

Certainly Trump and his allies will try to capitalize on the Patriots' win even if just by associating themselves with them (e.g. inviting the Patriots to the White House, shooting some nice pictures). Every president does that. But they can only capitalize on it if the other side accepts this politicization to happen by accepting the ridiculous assumption that just because one player and one coach more or less publicly admitted their support for Trump (or at least didn't deny) this makes it a win for Trump.

Robert Kraft was one of the biggest donors of President Obama in 2008 and 2012. Who in their right mind would have claimed that the SB win two years ago was a victory for Obama???

Was there one good ad this year?

I mean, as much as I liked the F U TRUMPY ads, I really felt like no one bothered to be memorable.

I weirdly got a kick out of the Spuds Mackenzie ad.

But honestly when commercials were on I was like pretty much browsing the thread but enjoyed the GOTG2, Logan, and Stranger Things ads.

That's me being cocky a bit. He probably IS the MVP, but I feel most of those votes were cast because of what he was able to do in the postseason.

Thing about this game is I like Matty. I'm hoping he can keep it up to this level for at least a couple more seasons.

Crazy part is considering what happened to Carolina, I don't know if the odds of them getting back to the SB are especially great. It's *hard* to get to the SB, regardless of how relatively easy the Patriots have made it look over the years.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I had the Pats winning because I don't trust Matt Ryan. And that was proven correct.

I said it before this game with some friends... I'm just not a huge fan of Matt Ryan's game. He's so good at times, but at other times I have no idea how he got this far. He proved me wrong all year, but not even being able to get a fg to seal it with all those chances. Still think the falcons are here to stay. Dion Jones was all over the place an absolute beast. Defense on the rise and an insane corps of weapons.

nillapuddin

cRS9316.png

screenshot of conversation I was having with a (non football fan) of mine who lives in Atlanta. (im the dark gray gaga gif posting depressed one)

i fucking knew it.

Caja 117

Does anyone have Atlanta offense number after the first half? Pats defense did what they usually do after the first half, they were shutdown and only allowed the falcons to get 7 points.

I also think that the falcons defense was already tired by the second half, Falcons were winning, but Pats had more Time off possesion and more offensive plays.

TyrantII

Does anyone have Atlanta offense number after the first half? Pats defense did what they usually do after the first half, they were shutdown and only allowed the falcons to get 7 points.

I also think that the falcons defense was already tired by the second half, Falcons were winning, but Pats had more Time off possesion and more offensive plays.

Might be right. I remember thinking to myself on those 3 hold flags that ATL needed to dial it back in the secondary. They were burning too much on their high and making mistakes. Meanwhile the line was doing the work.

Did they overwork themselves and then drop off the cliff?

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm bewildered how people can make that amount of money on the Super Bowl when the Patriots are in it. I mean, it's the Super Bowl. If they're not up against Eli, New England prevails.
It's all about spreads and the numbers. It's rarely about who will win the game.

Syder

You were fucking saying?
I mean, that was the GREATEST comeback in sports history. Atlanta hadn't even fully tilted when people were already saying they were 'choking'.
Sorry for not being an Oracle.

Also, 'choke' implies Falcons let NE win. Patriots straight-up outplayed Atlanta.
...if ATL wins that OT coin toss, we could be looking at a completely different outcome.

BadAss2961

Ugh, Atlanta. They proved themselves to be the best team during the course of these playoffs and the first half of this game, then they choked it all away in epic fashion.

Random question: do the practice squad players get rings?
I think so. The way it worked in the past was that the NFL paid for something like 150 rings, and then the team buys however many more they wanted.

So practice squad, injured reserve, players on the roster at least at some point in the season (traded, released, whatever), they usually all get rings I think. Rings will obviously be less fancy than the active roster's, but it's still a ring!

manfestival

I mean, that was the GREATEST comeback in sports history. Atlanta hadn't even fully tilted when people were already saying they were 'choking'.
Sorry for not being an Oracle.

Also, 'choke' implies Falcons let NE win. Patriots straight-up outplayed Atlanta.
...if ATL wins that OT coin toss, we could be looking at a completely different outcome.

I doubt that ATL would've won considering momentum and overall play. Just would've meant that the pats most likely would've gone for a FG and finish it that way

Tetra-9

I feel so had for the falcons fans. I was rooting for them as were the 3 old ladies who sat and watched the game at our restaurant. They are regulars and I've never heard them swear until now, and in that second quarter I heard them say "shit!" So many times lol.

Anyways, congrats to the Pats. They are awesome. Even though they are the reason I'm not looking forward to the Monday Morning Podcast tomorrow, I'll admit that they totally earned this one.

Chase17

I think so. The way it worked in the past was that the NFL paid for something like 150 rings, and then the team buys however many more they wanted.

So practice squad, injured reserve, players on the roster at least at some point in the season (traded, released, whatever), they usually all get rings I think.

Yeah I think even team docs/equipment guys typically get rings too.

Yeah I think even team docs/equipment guys typically get rings too.
That's pretty typical in sports I think. I think in MLB, the team usually gets rings for basically everyone that worked in the stadium, from team docs to front office even to the concession, ticket people and such. Again, obviously much less extravagant rings, but it's still neat to get one!
Maybe. I really do think that momentum shift had taken a lot out of ATL. Dunno what winning the coin toss would have done for a team that looked so gassed and deflated.

TheContact

I'm still in shock. I remember seeing a stat on TV before the end about the record being 93-0 or something with teams leading by over 19(?). Can anyone clarify that stat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom