• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2017 |OT| The Previous Thread is in the Hall of Fame

Parch

Historically, having the Leafs in the playoffs has always been beneficial to my beer fridge. I had an open offer to anybody for a case of beer bet against the Leafs winning a series, and of course there was always an endless line of Leaf fans willing to take that bet. Suckers.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Remember that time you should have made the Stanley Cup Final in 1993 but blew it against the Kings? Good times.
Remember how Gretzky highsticked Gilmour and drew blood but no penalty was called?

So close to a Hab/Leafs final. We would have lost but it would have been glorious.

Galchenyuk is now the 4th (FOURTH) line LW :lol :lol :lol

He's getting traded for sure this offseason. Fuck this franchise.

He's been terrible for the last stretch of the regular season. He needs to wake the fuck up. I have no doubt he's going to be traded.

I hope we get Hertl or something for him

Solo

He's been terrible for the last stretch of the regular season. He needs to wake the fuck up. I have no doubt he's going to be traded.

He hasn't been good, but how is he supposed to find his form playing 7 minutes a night at his worst position and alongside Ott and Martinsen? Fucking lol.

Another talented young player we are going to run out of town because...reasons. He's got the highest P/60M on the team and the 2nd highest PPG on the team behind on Pacioretty. Clearly our most talented scorer. So obviously lets run him out of town.

It's also the first time that the Sens and Burins will be playing each other in the playoffs. I also want to say that this is the first Blues-Wild playoff series but I feel like that's wrong.

Edit: nope, Blues and the Wild have never met in the playoffs so we have three playoff series with teams that will meet each other for the first time.

Wild beat the Blues in the first round two years ago?

We'll give you guys Brassballs for him.

btw what's the center depth for les habitant looks like now?

It's not going to be great if we trade Galchenyuk, we might need a trade to fix our centerman issue.

Plekanec is likely gone because of Vegas so that leaves, Danault,Shaw and Mitchell, Lehkonen can also play center too but I feel he's more an ideal LW/RW

I'd love to have a center like Sam Bennett or Monahan on our team

Why are you lazy jerks being so lazy about your jerk playoffs thread? Buncha jerks I swear.

I'm going to make it soon! Don't worry.

We'll give you guys Brassballs for him.

btw what's the center depth for les habitant looks like now?
Brassard would be a good replacement for Plekanec, we'll throw in Hudon if you give us Dzingel

Cake Boss

Banned
1C Danault
2C Plekenac
3C Shaw
4C Ott

4LW AGally

lolllllllllllllllllll

stanley-cup.jpg

Cake Boss

Banned
Salty shit posting aside.

I am always amazed in how the Canadiens are able to retain the top spot in the division with that center depth and over 100 points. Its kind of crazy actually. Their strongest areas are definitely their wingers and their goaltending.

Salty shit posting aside.

I am always surprised in how the Canadiens are able to retain the top spot in the division with that center depth and over 100 points. Its kind of crazy actually. Their strongest areas are definitely their wingers and their goaltending.

I don't think we would be on top of the Atlantic Division without Byron, Lehkonen, Radulov and Pacioretty.

Solo

This is hitting too close to home dawg

i'm calling it now, Galchenyuk for Panik is happening over the summer

Absolutely it'll be some shitty trade. Probably for a defensive center who tops out at 40 points. And back to square one we will go.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
1C Danault
2C Plekenac
3C Shaw
4C Ott

4LW AGally

lolllllllllllllllllll
To be fair, the Danault / Pleks lines have been playing extremely well as of late. I want to see AGally in the top 6, but I get not wanting to break up with is working well. He should be dominating other teams 4th lines / 3rd defensive pairings.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's good to know thar next time I fly United I might get assaulted if my flight is overbooked...

imBask

Banned
To be fair, the Danault / Pleks lines have been playing extremely well as of late. I want to see AGally in the top 6, but I get not wanting to break up with is working well. He should be dominating other teams 4th lines / 3rd defensive pairings.

he is... sometimes

I hope even you can see that, how inconsistant he is... it's so frustrating to watch

Red_Man

he is... sometimes

I hope even you can see that, how inconsistant he is... it's so frustrating to watch
For sure, the last month and a half or so he's been wildly inconsistent, that's why he's at were he's at. They need him to get back to his early season self if they want to go far though.

Red_Man

Is Clode treating Galchenyuk the same way that Therrien did? Maybe the org isn't wrong in this situation?
Nah, Julien has given him multiple chances on every line and with most of the wingers, there's a process to how Julien is handling it compared to Therrien shuffling him to a bottom line anytime he doesn't get a point or has a defensive gaf. Therrien would punish players, Julien is trying to help get him back to his game. It's what he's doing with Emelin and why he keeps playing as well.

Parch

Am I nuts for thinking the Habs should be patient with Galchenyuk? As mentioned I don't think trade value is great right now and he's not exactly on the downside of his career. There are other panic buttons to push.

imBask

Banned
Am I nuts for thinking the Habs should be patient with Galchenyuk? As mentioned I don't think trade value is great right now and he's not exactly on the downside of his career. There are other panic buttons to push.

His contract is an issue tho, he's going to ask for Kucherov money and Bergevin will offer him Gallagher money

Red_Man

Among all skaters who played at least 750 minutes at 5-on-5 this season, no one was on the ice for fewer goals against per 60 minutes of ice time than Weber

Not bad

Solo

Nope, you're 120% in the right. He just turned 23 and has a long career ahead of him. But the problem is he's the new media whipping boy, and historically those guys get run out of town ASAP. It's infuriating.

But as bask said, how do you handle his contract? Do you try to bridge him again for 2 more years and run the risk of losing him in 2019 when he's UFA? Do you try to give him a Gallagher/Pacioretty type deal (say $4M per for 6 years). I'm sure the Habs would love that and that it would be an easy no for AGally's agent. Do you give him the $6M x 6 years (or more) he's surely to ask for? It's a really tough spot, because if you get the AGally of 2017, then he's only worth that $4M per. If you get the 2015-2016 AGally, he's worth the $6M+ per.

And the other big twist here that I don't feel is being given enough airtime is that he's playing with a knee brace and likely isn't fully recovered. So give the kid a full summer to train and heal and I'll bet absolutely anything he looks as good in the 2017-2018 season as he did the 2015-2016 season and the 1st half of this season. I feel like the kid has the talent to be a 30 g 65 pts kind of guy, easily, but the problem as always is his inconsistency. And this blender of dropping down every line and playing wing isn't helping his case this year.

tl;dr Habs would be goddamn fools to give into the Montreal media and give up on the kid. So it'll probably happen.

Solo

I have a feeling Radulov is gonna go beast mode in the playoffs.

He's gonna feed off that insane crowd.

It's hard to say. Dude looked GASED from about game 45 til about game 75. He turned it back on a bit the last few games though. I just wonder how much he's got in the tank. And when he's tired, he's invisible.

Like Galchenyuk, he's a defensive liability too, but that never gets any airtime....

Solo

I hate to give Bergevin credit, because I think he's a pretty crappy GM, but I think the guys that will shine in the playoffs will be some of his "grit" and "character" guys. Like I see Shaw and Danault as being big components of the playoff run.

Absolutely it'll be some shitty trade. Probably for a defensive center who tops out at 40 points. And back to square one we will go.

Can I introduce you to Brandon Sutter.

Kills penalties, and can fill in on the power play
Right handed and good at faceoffs
Has scored 40 points
Only makes a little over $4M
28, so in his prime

Solo

Can I introduce you to Brandon Sutter.

Kills penalties, and can fill in on the power play
Right handed and good at faceoffs
Has scored 40 points
Only makes a little over $4M
28, so in his prime

Precisely the kind of player Bergevin is sure to target this offseason.

*cries*

calder

Of course there is a defense force bashing a paid customer's head in an airplane.

Ri'Orius may be the worst GAF poster I've seen in years, which is a bold statement I know but shit look at the fucking drivel he's* posting. And a stupid fucking username to boot? GTFO.

* yes I am 100% assuming the jackass defending a corporation's right to have the police bust up a customer for not gettting "re-arranged" is a guy. I'll also assume Atlas Shrugged is his fav novel until proven otherwise

yyzjohn

Banned
How many times have the Leafs made the playoffs since switching conferences?

And they haven't made the Finals since the Caps' inception

not trolling

Leafs actually made the playoffs 6 straight seasons in the East under Quinn but never met the Capitals.

Red_Man

Shaw has been fantastic under Julien, I expect him to do well in the playoffs, and like I've said before Lehkonen should be a beast, he's heating up at the right time too.

Socreges

Banned
Leafs actually made the playoffs 6 straight seasons in the East under Quinn but never met the Capitals.
Yes. But the point is when you only make the playoffs 7 times in 17 years, it shouldn't be a surprise that, of the 15 eligible teams you could draw, you haven't faced some of them.

Top Bottom