• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakkidis

A couple of days ago tsn was showing the eastern conference standings. I couldnt' find the maple leafs any where until I realized they were second last and tsn greyed theyir name out.

Has their every been a team that started the season off in 1st place and ending up in last?

&*!@$^!@&*()#$y!@&)

SORRY, just fucking catching up on the Panthers game on DVR. FUCK that shit.

Edit: Nope, not fucking letting this go yet. Making a prediction... OT loss tomorrow against the Blue Jackets of all fucking teams. What an awful stretch against the worst damn teams in the league.

Did you see the missed slash on Upshall (right at the start of the 3rd). Min scored shortly after. If the ref would've actually watched the ice the game would've been different.

At least the PP was alive 2-4. 5 points to go for the clinch.

Marvie_3

Banned
A couple of days ago tsn was showing the eastern conference standings. I couldnt' find the maple leafs any where until I realized they were second last and tsn greyed theyir name out.

Has their every been a team that started the season off in 1st place and ending up in last?

If it weren't for Columbus, Minnesota would be doing that same thing this year. They were 1st in the West for awhile and then dropped like a rock.

LET'S DO THIS!!

RHD9P.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
LET'S DO THIS!!

RHD9P.jpg

You can't do this man. That's as bad as people using the KESSELLL.gif for their own.

Not cool man, not cool.

Actually does anyone have that gif someone in here made of just before the champagne pours that dude from the breakfast club pops out and shakes his head no?

The Preds will be overwhelmed with how amazing Conklin, Holmstrom, and Emmerton are that they will have no choice but to stand there flabbergasted allowing the Wings to score 8 or more goals!!

Cactus

Banned
I'm fucking pissed off.

Yet, there are so many leaf fans that will still accept mediocrity. Their prerogative, but damn.

Our team, organization are run by a bunch of lunatics. It is so frustrating to watch this team.

I get the whole 'tank nation' support from the fans but that's because we have no other choice but I think as players and as paid professionals athletes, they should somewaht compete in games even though it doesn't count for much anymore. Show that you care, show that you can still compete, etc.... We've been losing games (6-0), (7-1) (8-0), this is outright embarrassing for the team.

What I find extremely pathethic is that we are now ruining our future goaltender such as Rynnas (from yesrterday's game) , poor dude was left out to dry and he could be our future goalie. It must have shattered his damn confidence.

Anyways, seriously. Just fucking blow this team up. And a big fuck you to stupid leaf fans that accept this shit. Fuck you guys too.

Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Crabb, Bozak, MacArthur, Steckel, Franson, Dion Phaneuf can get the fuck out. These guys have to go.

Komisarek can also go but I rather keep him. And Kessel can also get the fuck out but if it comes down to it, keep him.

You'd rather keep Komisarek than Phaneuf??

Komisarek is -11 in his last 10 games with no points on the third defence pairing while Dion plays 25+ minutes a game against top lines with 42 points.

Why should Kessel "get the fuck out"?? He's been one of the only players on the team who's been relatively consistent throughout the entire season.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pat Hickey is an idiot, he just said today in an article in the Montreal Gazette that Jacques Martin should get another attempt at the coaching job. L-O-L

calder

This sub-ghetto is awful, jesus. There's not even a full page of threads but I find it irritating I have to look for this thread all over.

Hopefully the fans in Raleigh tonight get a good "Jordan's better" chant going, Eric seems to really love that shit lol.

You'd rather keep Komisarek than Phaneuf??

Komisarek is -11 in his last 10 games with no points on the third defence pairing while Dion plays 25+ minutes a game against top lines with 42 points.

Why should Kessel "get the fuck out"?? He's been one of the only players on the team who's been relatively consistent throughout the entire season.

Well, I keep holding onto Komisarek (Montreal days), dude was a beast back then. I've always liked Komisarek more than Dion Phaneuf back then when they were both in their "prime". I always hope one day he will return to form.

But that will never happen, so ship Komisarek and Phaneuf, both of them can go. We don't need either. You act like Phaneuf has been great, he's been lousy on the ice and his leadership qualities? What leadership, if he has any. Dude's a wreck. He's a damn clown that teams will just push around.

Phil Kessel, he's a weird one. I like the fact that he is ppg guy but that's all he is. Skilled. He is a 1 dimensional player at best and we won't succeed with him in the playoffs. There's a reason why Boston wanted to ship him out and we bit. And not to mention, he won't work under Randy Carlyle system, Randy runs a very thorough defensive system which requires a lot of work from each player to make it work and they need to play defense which Kessel just can't seem to fucking understand.

Cactus

Banned
Well, I keep holding onto Komisarek (Montreal days), dude was a beast back then. I've always liked Komisarek more than Dion Phaneuf back then when they were both in their "prime". I always hope one day he will return to form.

But that will never happen, so ship Komisarek and Phaneuf, both of them can go. We don't need either. You act like Phaneuf has been great, he's been lousy on the ice and his leadership qualities? What leadership, if he has any. Dude's a wreck. He's a damn clown that teams will just push around.

Phil Kessel, he's a weird one. I like the fact that he is ppg guy but that's all he is. Skilled. He is a 1 dimensional player at best and we won't succeed with him in the playoffs. There's a reason why Boston wanted to ship him out and we bit. And not to mention, he won't work under Randy Carlyle system, Randy runs a very thorough defensive system which requires a lot of work from each player to make it work and they need to play defense which Kessel just can't seem to fucking understand.

There may or may not be a problem with Dion's leadership (we'll probably get an answer to that question this summer if Carlyle chooses another captain) but I think his play on the ice has been fine, personally.

I agree that Kessel may not be the best fit in Carlyle's system, but on a team with so few elite talents, I don't think management can afford to be choosy.

If Burke decides to do a full rebuild (I highly doubt it) then Kessel will probably be traded, but my guess is that he'll do another retool this summer and go down with the ship if the team has no success by the time Kessel hits free agency.

Marvie_3

Banned
Ice Edge group back in the Phoenix hockey picture
Anthony LeBlanc and the group of businessmen once known as Ice Edge Holdings LLC are back in the Phoenix hockey picture.

Only this time, it is not to make an ownership bid on the financially moribund Phoenix Coyotes, but a bid to manage Jobing.com Arena in suburban Glendale, Ariz., and try to bring in a minor-league hockey team if the Coyotes move to another city this summer.

On March. 1, LeBlanc sent an e-mail message to Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs, city attorney Craig Tindall and the members of city council. It was prompted by Scruggs’s public musings that the city needs a “Plan B” if the NHL-owned Coyotes leave.

LeBlanc said his group, now known as Lakehead Yale Sports Holdings LLC, is willing to sign a long-term contract to manage the arena, try to find a minor-league team as a tenant and work to increase the events at the facility if the NHL decides to move the Coyotes.
Please let this be part of "Plan B"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You'd rather place 9-12th and have a risk pick (basically potentially nothing to show for a dreadful season) over a likely star/superstar?

Fuck if that means I have to put up with a month of bad games, whatever- the one thing the leafs have not had in forever is a drafted star- Wendel clark, remember him? Hell, we got sundin for him

Why is when we cheer our team to win we are called short sighted, and when we cheer the other team for the benefit of our team, people still whine?

I want the leafs to get better and not get caught in constant mediocrity known as finishing 9-11th every damn year

Solo

Pat Hickey is an idiot, he just said today in an article in the Montreal Gazette that Jacques Martin should get another attempt at the coaching job. L-O-L

Not in Montreal, but somewheres else, most definitely. He was thrown under the bus in Montreal and had run his course with the team, but he also did a lot of good things here that people like to ignore. Good hockey mind. He'll be a GM or coach somewhers else in a few years.

Solo

Ive been predicting over at BSH that Julien Brisebois (Tampa Asst GM) would be Montreal's next GM. Sports Illustrated seems to agree. Their odds:

Julien BriseBois (5-1): The Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM used to run the Canadiens' farm club in Hamilton before going with the coach, Guy Boucher, to the Southeast Division. Gainey gave him exceptional latitude, so at least BriseBois has hands-on experience running an organization, even if it was an AHL outfit. He has done mostly contract work, but also some scouting. Weakness: He might be perceived as Gainey's guy.

Claude Loiselle (7-1): The Toronto Maple Leafs assistant has the most varied portfolio: long-time player, lawyer, league executive, doing contracts and running the AHL affiliate with Tampa Bay, scouting for Anaheim, again doing contracts and scouting as part of the deep Leafs front office. The Franco-Ontarian -- he still speaks French with his parents -- is 48, a perfect age for the position. Weakness: His profile. He is not widely known in the Montreal market although he has ties to Kevin Gilmore, the Canadiens' Chief Operating Officer.

Patrick Roy (7-1): Roy is the co-owner, GM and coach of the junior Quebec Remparts. Of all his hats, he seems to most enjoy putting on the coaching one at a rakish angle and admiring himself in the mirror. The Hall of Fame goalie might be a popular choice with the vox populi, but he might not be the strategic thinker. If Savard sticks around, he could be just the buffer the emotional Roy needs. Roy also would be a great "get" for Montreal if the NHL decides to move a franchise to Quebec City, where Roy would likely have a major role if/when the league returns to his hometown. Weaknesses: The leap to the NHL from juniors is like Evel Knievel going over 15 school buses. And Roy does not especially work well with others.

Pierre McGuire (9-1): Currently an NBC hockey analyst, he has personal ties to Molson. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of players. He has a background in coaching and scouting. He also has the requisite energy and enthusiasm for the job, which should be key elements. He speaks passable French. After interviewing in Minnesota and Tampa Bay in recent years, and losing out to Chuck Fletcher and Steve Yzerman respectively, he knows the GM drill. No one will outwork him. Indeed, Scotty Bowman, his mentor, endorsed McGuire months ago. Weaknesses: The excitable McGuire would be a popular choice among Anglophones, but this might mean he is not perceived as quite "French" enough. He also has yet to run an organization.

Blair Mackasey (15-1): The Minnesota Wild's director of professional scouting is an out-of-the-box candidate, but could be a strong one if the Canadiens do their homework. He played in the NHL -- one game, but still -- although he is best known as a scout with Phoenix, Canada's junior national team program, and now the Wild. He also coached junior hockey in the Quebec league. He is a solid hockey man, someone capable of building an organization. Mackasey is from the Anglophone-enclave of Montreal's West Island, but he is fluently bilingual. Weaknesses: His profile is low, and he is perceived as an Anglo.

Vincent Damphousse (25-1): The former Canadiens captain, now a talking head on the RDS network, covets the job and has some high profile support, especially from influential La Presse newspaper columnist François Gagnon. He was a vice-president of the NHLPA, under Trevor Linden, so he is familiar with the boardroom. Weaknesses: Woefully light on experience. Damphousse also is involved in the mother of bad breakups. In December, he will face six counts of assault against his estranged wife, Allana Henderson, who is due in court in June to face charges of assaulting Damphousse. The optics of Damphousse, at least initially, would widely be at odds with Molson's vision of the Canadiens as a paragon of class.

The Field (15-1): Like the airport scene from Casablanca, there are some usual suspects to round up: Guy Carbonneau, the former Montreal coach; Marc Bergevin, in his first year as an assistant GM in Chicago; former Avalanche GM François Giguère; agent Pat Brisson, and anyone else you can thing of who might be able to scale the Berlitz Wall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...authier.fired.new.gm/index.html#ixzz1qc1xKNuE

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ive been predicting over at BSH that Julien Brisebois (Tampa Asst GM) would be Montreal's next GM. Sports Illustrated seems to agree. Their odds:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...authier.fired.new.gm/index.html#ixzz1qc1xKNuE

Just on the Claude Loiselle one. He may not be "allowed" to interview. The issue came up with Dave Nonis I think last off season and they stated he would not be interviewing for a GM position as they pay him far more than what an average GM would be paid. Loiselle may fall under the same category.

Solo

Why in the hell do the Leafs have so many Assistant GMs anyways?

For the record, the absolute best candidate cannot be had by any team - lots have tried but he has no interest in leaving - Detroit's Assistant GM Jim Nill.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not in Montreal, but somewheres else, most definitely. He was thrown under the bus in Montreal and had run his course with the team, but he also did a lot of good things here that people like to ignore. Good hockey mind. He'll be a GM or coach somewhers else in a few years.

This. Another chance in Montreal would be crazy.

For the record, the absolute best candidate cannot be had by any team - lots have tried but he has no interest in leaving - Detroit's Assistant GM Jim Nill.

Detroit does know how to run a front office that is for sure.

Cactus

Banned
Just on the Claude Loiselle one. He may not be "allowed" to interview. The issue came up with Dave Nonis I think last off season and they stated he would not be interviewing for a GM position as they pay him far more than what an average GM would be paid. Loiselle may fall under the same category.

I think Nonis is special because he'll more than likely be the next GM of the Leafs. I'm not so sure Burke will hold back Loiselle or Poulin or Dudley if they have a shot at a GM job.

Cake Boss

Banned

Isnt he the highest paid assistant?

Probably. He's Holland's right hand and has stayed in Detroit forever despite chances to go elsewhere. I would guess he is well compensated for his loyalty.

I heard he has a clause in his contract that simply forbids him to go anywhere, although I'm sure the $$$ is good as well.

You'd rather place 9-12th and have a risk pick (basically potentially nothing to show for a dreadful season) over a likely star/superstar?

Fuck if that means I have to put up with a month of bad games, whatever- the one thing the leafs have not had in forever is a drafted star- Wendel clark, remember him? Hell, we got sundin for him

Why is when we cheer our team to win we are called short sighted, and when we cheer the other team for the benefit of our team, people still whine?

I want the leafs to get better and not get caught in constant mediocrity known as finishing 9-11th every damn year

Hey dopey, I completely agree with you and I think you missed the point of my post. I'm down for 'tank nation' as well but I'm just saying that at least win 1 or 2 games just to show some heart!

Anyways, it's funny because there are some really stupid leaf fans in here that wanted the leafs to make the playoffs and in turn accept the mediocrity of the team in general. What the fuck? I know who they are but I'm not naming names,

I rather the team not make the playoffs so people can see how shitty of a team the leafs actually are and if they would have made the playoffs. People would actually think we have a competent team.

And I'm glad we didn't, but win 1 game at least.

no way man, defensive minded coaches are boring. The legacy of Ottawa Senators (Gauthier/ Martin) should be completely erased from Montreal

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm fucking pissed off.

Yet, there are so many leaf fans that will still accept mediocrity. Their prerogative, but damn.

Our team, organization are run by a bunch of lunatics. It is so frustrating to watch this team.

I get the whole 'tank nation' support from the fans but that's because we have no other choice but I think as players and as paid professionals athletes, they should somewaht compete in games even though it doesn't count for much anymore. Show that you care, show that you can still compete, etc.... We've been losing games (6-0), (7-1) (8-0), this is outright embarrassing for the team.

What I find extremely pathethic is that we are now ruining our future goaltender such as Rynnas (from yesrterday's game) , poor dude was left out to dry and he could be our future goalie. It must have shattered his damn confidence.

Anyways, seriously. Just fucking blow this team up. And a big fuck you to stupid leaf fans that accept this shit. Fuck you guys too.

Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Crabb, Bozak, MacArthur, Steckel, Franson, Dion Phaneuf can get the fuck out. These guys have to go.

Komisarek can also go but I rather keep him. And Kessel can also get the fuck out but if it comes down to it, keep him.

-----------------

Also, let the playoffs begin. Go Pittsburgh or Buffalo (if they make it in).

Vancouver and their team / fans can hold on to their twin vaginas forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KptVDJiHac8&t=6m0s

What's wrong with Wrestlemania-GAF?

Absolutely nothing.

He should just sign another year contract for 1 million and just play for the shootouts. I wonder if they will retire his number considering how long he played. If they retired Rene Bourque for playing with us for a year and a half than I feel they owe him retirement, or just take down Bourque's Jersey.

Of course his number will be retired. No question in that. He needs to retire, he can't keep up anymore.

This game tonight should be pretty fucking boring.

Edit: Also wut. I just noticed 'Rene' Bourque.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
FortunateSon

you do realize that 1 win at this point can truly make a huge difference in the prospect we get, right?

There is what? Like 4 forwards in the top 10 of this draft? We need one of them, badly. Take away the wingers (yakupov and forsberg) and our choice is down to galchenyuk or grigorenko

We really need one of those players, preferably grigorenko because he's a big player

What happens between now and July 2nd could massively change our chances at becoming a contender

If we can fill one need with a sure fire prospect, we can acquire our other need (goaltending) via trade and finish off the roster between free agency and prospect graduation

Considering where we are contract wise with kessel and a few other players, we need to fail as best as we can to ensure a quicker return to greatness

I understand, it sucks watching our team flounder like a bunch of idiots, but it's necessary for the good of the future of the organization and it's fans

Hunter S.

Of course his number will be retired. No question in that. He needs to retire, he can't keep up anymore.

This game tonight should be pretty fucking boring.

Edit: Also wut. I just noticed 'Rene' Bourque.

Weird things are written off of little sleep.

I am suspecting the avs might try for pride and at least one win over Calgary not in overtime. I doubt I will be watching. I'll save my hype for jumping on the Hawks and Canucks bandwagon for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom