• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

imBask

Banned
I'm not unemployed or smuggling cigarettes across the border
I don't eat Pepsi and May West for breakfast (*)
I don't watch da hockey game doing it doggie-style
And no, I don't know Claude, Manon, or François in Abitibi-Témiscamingue (*)
But I'm sure they all have nice teeth

I smoke in church
I speak Québecois in joual, not French or English
I pronounce it "tird", not third
And eating French fries with cheese makes sense, mon ostie,
I believe in a distinct society, as long as someone else pays for it
I believe in language-police, not equal rights
And, calisse, I believe that Club Super-Sex is an appropriate place
for my wife and me to celebrate our anniversaire
What the hell, she goes on at ten anyway

In Québec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often than
Halley's comet
I can get beer at the dépanneur, not the convenience store
And maybe I can't turn right on a red light
But tabarnak, I can go right through it
Because Québec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup
The home of Céline Dion and Roch Voisine
The land where everybody is shacking up and the legal drinking age is
just a suggestion

Je m'appelle Guy, and I am not Canadian

Mot, t'a dit, tabarnak, ostie.
Merci, salut la vedette

That's a hell of a reference
and I watched it on youtube
and I scrolled to the comments
and I regret everything

yyzjohn

Banned
That's a hell of a reference
and I watched it on youtube
and I scrolled to the comments
and I regret everything

The line where he says "I smoke in church" always cracked me up. I thought of it as soon as the Quebec smoking thing came up.

I watched a lot of Leafs games last year and I'm really not convinced that Zaitsev needs to be part of the core of this team for the next.... forever. I mean he was okay I guess but could we not have found something better? I understand the market for right hand D is rough right now but come on.

Samyy

C-11STjXsAEXnU5.jpg:large

Seems like Zaitsev was our most used forward against top lines during the year and did fairly well (50% CF). He probably should be on the second pairing but I don't think the signing is that bad, term is 2 years too long though.

Cactus

Banned

Seems like Zaitsev was our most used forward against top lines during the year and did fairly well (50% CF). He probably should be on the second pairing but I don't think the signing is that bad, term is 2 years too long though.

Yeah, agreed. Or maybe he improves and becomes a #2 guy for us. It's hard to say. You probably wouldn't expect much growth from a 25-year-old rookie with pro experience, but we have to keep in mind that it was his first season playing in North America. Anyway, I'd be happy with him on the second pair for the next 7 years. He would look really damn good out there against easier competition (just like Gardiner did this year).

Zaitsev's age, relative low mileage, and performance make this a good deal imo.

And that's Robidas' chunk of the cap allocated.

What will Lou do with Michalek, Laich and Greening's?

Brown, Hyman and (hopefully) Boyle need new deals this year.

We'll also need to sign or acquire 1 or 2 more defencemen before the season starts since Polak and Hunwick have expired.

Parch

I believe in language-police, not equal rights...
Sums up why the separation referendums failed. Reality check happened when a lack of equal rights and somebody else paying for it wasn't going to happen.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not unemployed or smuggling cigarettes across the border
I don't eat Pepsi and May West for breakfast (*)
I don't watch da hockey game doing it doggie-style
And no, I don't know Claude, Manon, or François in Abitibi-Témiscamingue (*)
But I'm sure they all have nice teeth

I smoke in church
I speak Québecois in joual, not French or English
I pronounce it "tird", not third
And eating French fries with cheese makes sense, mon ostie,
I believe in language-police, not equal rights
And, calisse, I believe that Club Super-Sex is an appropriate place
for my wife and me to celebrate our anniversaire
What the hell, she goes on at ten anyway

In Québec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often than
Halley's comet
I can get beer at the dépanneur, not the convenience store
And maybe I can't turn right on a red light
But tabarnak, I can go right through it
Because Québec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup
The home of Céline Dion and Roch Voisine
The land where everybody is shacking up and the legal drinking age is
just a suggestion

Mot, t'a dit, tabarnak, ostie.
Merci, salut la vedette

I dont even believe the 16% number in BC unless the interior skews the numbers so much. Has to be <5% for the lower Mainland

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

We also have like $5 million in bonuses that will probably destroy what cap we have for this next season

Let it be known that I'd give anyone not called Carey Price or Shea Weber on this roster for Jonathan Drouin.

Anyone. Including picks and prospects and any reasonable combination.

Socreges

Banned
Let it be known that I'd give anyone not called Carey Price or Shea Weber on this roster for Jonathan Drouin.

Anyone. Including picks and prospects and any reasonable combination.
Yeah. I hope Benning has already contacted Yzerman. If there's any possibility that Yzerman would be interested in Tanev he needs to pursue this doggedly.

RC

Banned
I dont even believe the 16% number in BC unless the interior skews the numbers so much. Has to be <5% for the lower Mainland

Maybe in your vegan, hippie, gluten-free circle of friends, but for the rest of us meat and potatoes types it's higher.

I really only have the one friend who smokes pretty frequently. The amount of second hand she's exposed me to has probably ruined my lungs too.

Socreges

Banned

Maybe in your vegan, hippie, gluten-free circle of friends, but for the rest of us meat and potatoes types it's higher.
Pretty much. 16% makes perfect sense when you consider trades workers and older people. Of people in Vancouver who are young and educated? Very, very low, of course.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
S E R G A C H E V B O Y

or yeah as he said, hostile offer sheet, enough with the stupid Godfather code
They want an established, NHL ready defenceman, not a prospect, and Bergevin is old school, he would never do an offer sheet.

imBask

Banned
I'd give up either one and a draft pick.

Or one of those and any one of Beaulieu, Gallagher or Galchenyuk.

Drouin is the most underrated player in the league.

that's a little strong. I'm fairly sure Drouin could be an 80 point guy under the right conditions but he's also kind of an asshole, and Montreal is a city that can destroy those guys in an instant. It's a coin flip

bigJP

that's a little strong. I'm fairly sure Drouin could be an 80 point guy under the right conditions but he's also kind of an asshole, and Montreal is a city that can destroy those guys in an instant. It's a coin flip

montreal also destroys offensive talent

Beaulieu is also kind of an asshole. Galchenyuk as well.

Gallagher I'm just ready to part with because of his injuries.

You gotta give something to get a Drouin.

calder

Over at hockey-graphs they released a ranking of all the GMs in the league. What makes it interesting is how they tried to do it more scientifically, by using change to team GAR as a metric. They show their methodology, which is interesting as the list really.

31. Jim Benning &#8211; Vancouver Canucks

GM Score (out of 5): 2.3
Best Attribute: Extensions
Worst Attribute: Player Development
Change in total GAR: -45%
Max GAR Ranking: 17th

It's hard to discern whether Benning has been hamstrung by ownership, but no team has deteriorated more since 2013. The Canucks have gotten younger recently, but it's unlikely guys like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser are going to be enough to turn the team around. While Benning did make some savvy trades at this year's deadline, with the weight of his tenure stacked against him, it's highly doubtful he'll be able to see the Canucks' rebuild through.

30. Pierre Dorion &#8211; Ottawa Senators

GM Score (out of 5): 2.3
Best Attribute: UFAs
Worst Attribute: Drafting
Change in total GAR: -21%
Max GAR Ranking: 13

Dorion took over for former boss Bryan Murry last year. Some of the moves have made sense, but when you're trading away Mika Zibanejad and getting fleeced for Alexandre Burrows by our worst ranked GM, that's saying something. Dorion did improve the Senator's fourth line at the trade deadline, but much of this year's success is credit to Boucher's improved defensive systems, and of course, generational defenseman Erik Karlsson playing like the generational defenseman he is. Still, one year is generally not enough to really judge a GM, and Dorion could climb the ranks easily.

7. Kevin Cheveldayoff &#8211; Winnipeg Jets

GM Score (out of 5): 3.4
Best Attribute: Drafting
Worst Attribute: Trades
Change in total GAR: +5%
Max GAR Ranking: 8

Winnipeg has little on-ice success to show for Cheveldayoff's efforts, but he has quietly built an intriguing young team through the draft, including franchise cornerstone Patrik Laine. Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifle have developed into bonafide stars under his watch, and the team wisely chose extending Dustin Byfuglien over Andrew Ladd. The team has a deep pool of prospects, but Jacob Trouba's contentious extension talks leaves the team's future up in the air.

1. Dave Poile &#8211; Nashville Predators

GM Score (out of 5): 4
Best Attribute: Player Development
Worst Attribute: UFAs
Change in total GAR: -3%
Max GAR Ranking: 3

David Poile is possibly the league's most underrated GM. He rated so highly because he has prioritized drafting and development, particularly of defensemen, which has allowed the Predators to be a winning team while on a budget. His emphasis on development has also meant they haven't had to hit the free agent market as often, and when he has made a trade recently, such as Neal for Hornqvist or Jones for Johansen, it tends to be a win-win (well, Subban for Weber is a bit lopsided). Oh and that whole Forsberg for Erat thing. That was good. The major strike against him, unfortunately can't be measured by effectiveness. Signing Mike Ribeiro and then defending him as a ”family man" is enough to understandably torpedo opinions of him.

Worth noting again that they break down their method in detail if you want to know how they weighted drafting vs salary cap vs trades etc. I was surprised Chevy was so high but it makes sense - he's developed a team much much much more talented than he inherited from Atlanta. He's also lucky there's no category for "replaces shit coach appropriately" :p

Cake Boss

Banned
That list ssuuuuucccckkkss for many reasons.

Agree with the top 3 though, it falls off after that. I mean how the fuck is Joe Sakic not 30th?

And how is Chevy 7th? yeah he drafted talent but there is more to GMing than drafting, hes wasting whatever talent he acquired on shitty personnel and not being able to get a goalie.

Top Bottom