• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Over at hockey-graphs they released a ranking of all the GMs in the league. What makes it interesting is how they tried to do it more scientifically, by using change to team GAR as a metric. They show their methodology, which is interesting as the list really.

Worth noting again that they break down their method in detail if you want to know how they weighted drafting vs salary cap vs trades etc. I was surprised Chevy was so high but it makes sense - he's developed a team much much much more talented than he inherited from Atlanta. He's also lucky there's no category for "replaces shit coach appropriately" :p

How the fuck is Bergevin number 12?

Player Development is his best attribute?

What? Since when?

PillarEN

29. Ken Holland – Detroit Red Wings

GM Score (out of 5): 2.3
Best Attribute: Player Development
Worst Attribute: Extensions
Change in total GAR: -44%
Max GAR Ranking: 4

Holland is a Hall of Fame exec who helped build the powerhouse Detroit teams of the new millennium and contributed to the Wings 25-year playoff streak. However, his best days are long gone, and his atrocious signings and extensions of aging players will ensure the Wings won’t sniff contention anytime soon.
----

It's true. We have some crap contracts that are not going away in a season or two. I don't know what we are going to do with our defense and it's still tough to say if there will be a true replacement for Z and Datsyuk. We can only hope Larkin breaks through.
*cries*

calder

Holland has it tough because the ranking partially track the changes to a team since the last CBA in 2013, so in some ways he's a victim of the franchise's earlier success. It also means he suffers from contracts he gave out chasing the playoffs with an aging team so I guess it's fair.

And Cookie no ranking that has Benning 31st and Dorion 30th can be wrong.

Syrinx

Over at hockey-graphs they released a ranking of all the GMs in the league. What makes it interesting is how they tried to do it more scientifically, by using change to team GAR as a metric. They show their methodology, which is interesting as the list really.

Worth noting again that they break down their method in detail if you want to know how they weighted drafting vs salary cap vs trades etc. I was surprised Chevy was so high but it makes sense - he's developed a team much much much more talented than he inherited from Atlanta. He's also lucky there's no category for "replaces shit coach appropriately" :p

Pikma may literally melt when he sees Jim Nill's ranking.

calder

We do that anyway

qonjetsi9sci.gif

Personally I don't think any GM should be ranked higher than 20th on the list

The authors of that piece mention that the funniest thing about doing it was that almost every fanbase thinks their GM is terrible, while if you do rankings for a teams prospect pool or goalies most complaints will be that their team is ranked way too low.

calder

Vegas Golden Knights
@GoldenKnights
NEWS: Veteran TSN analyst Gary Lawless will be joining the Golden Knights' content team.

More: atnhl.com/2p5L18o

I don't even have words. Well, "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" is kinda a word.

Erdrick

I don't even have words. Well, "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" is kinda a word.

This makes my day.

I love that gif because I know Q blabbing makes you furious and also they lost on your birthday, which had to be extra annoying.

Ironically, the Jets beat Chicago here last season on my birthday. 4-0 Hellebuyck shutout. Best game I've seen them play in person the whole season.

That list is pretty accurate, I'd say. Although the Jets better get a goalie this offseason. Number one priority. A solid Dman to help Trouba, and Co. is needed too.

calder

And now fans of every other team are thinking of one of their jackass local sports reporting "personalities" and are sad they didn't get to ship him off to Vegas instead.

*high fives Erdrick*

I'm sure Lawless' undeniable experience as a CFL Insider was a factor. The VGK fans will never lack for choice tidbits about which CFL coaches are on the hotseat!

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Pikma may literally melt when he sees Jim Nill's ranking.

4. Jim Nill – Dallas Stars

GM Score (out of 5): 3.5
Best Attribute: Trades
Worst Attribute: UFAs
Change in total GAR: -19%
Max GAR Ranking: 2

Nill has fleeced his fellow GMs so often in trades that he’s at the point now where your team shouldn’t pick up if he gives you a call. He acquired Tyler Seguin, Patrick Sharp and Jason Spezza for what ultimately amounted to spare parts and Loui Eriksson. John Klingberg has been a revelation and the team has some promising prospects, but Nill was overly-patient with this year’s blue line and the goaltending issue won’t resolve itself. Still, the Stars aren’t in cap trouble, even with Jamie Benn’s new contract hitting next season, they have a crop of youth ready to hit the NHL full-time, and with a few tweaks (GOALTENDING) could be right back in the thick of it.

Pikma will die of laughter that for sure.

This past season should've knock Nill in the 20's at least.

Pikma

Banned
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

He's one of the best GMs right now because he fleeced a pair of really stupid GMs a couple years ago and convinced Sharp to sign with them instead of the Sabres or some shit. But nevermind the poor decisions since then and the always mediocre 1st round drafting, these are only minor issues, right?

calder

(((Corey Pronman))) @coreypronman
Finding statistical comps for Nolan Patrick's unique CHL path hasn't been easy. So far have: Jeff Friesen & Derick Brassard as closest match

Other people saying that, before the injury, his best comparable was RNH.

calder

My general argument for 2017 is be wary of presumptions of how things will go. Talent gaps at top much smaller than usual.

The first sentence is probably super accurate - as many people have said there will be a lot of off the board picks in the first round this year because so many players are so close the publicly available rankings are all over the place.

The second part jibes with what the prospect guys on twitter have been saying - the draft is mostly 'weak' at the top but the rest is pretty typical compared to recent years. Both of those things together, if they are true, are pretty exciting for fans of teams drafting later in the first round. Could see some really solid picks sliding.

I would not feel comfortable at all presuming Nolan/Nico will be top 2 players in this class and/or be top 2 players selected.

If say, for example, Gabe Vilardi went in the top 2, my reaction will be a yawn.

Top Bottom