• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct scheduled for June 3rd (Wii U concept news, 3PM PT/6PM ET Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

7threst

Am I the only one a little disappointed by this?

If the speculation is true, and its about showing the new controller and case, its a little like opening your best Xmas presents on the 23rd.

Or maybe it's just the keys we're getting at Nintendo Direct to the car that we are getting at E3?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Makes sense actually, they'd want to show off the hardware before Ubisoft presents any game with it.

Zekes!

If the speculation is true, and its about showing the new controller and case, its a little like opening your best Xmas presents on the 23rd.

What kind of analogy is this

opening presents early fucking ruled

Boney

Banned
It'd be more like your parents giving you the system on the 23rd and only allowing you access to any bundled software, then giving you the other games on Christmas Day. Not altogether bad.

and you having no idea what games exist for the system

Fantastical

Death Prophet
How likely is it that Smash Bros. will be revealed in this or at the conference?

Not very likely I'm guessing :p

No chance during the Nintendo Direct, but I think there is a chance at the press conference. Someone in the Wii U speculation thread was telling people that Sora may have started on this before we thought (as in, they may not have gone from Kid Icarus to Smash, they probably started before) leaving us some possibility of seeing a small tease. It won't be playable or anything, but maybe we'll get a trailer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in some form, but at the same time I could see Iwata saying "we are hard at work on the next Smash Brothers and we have nothing to show right now". Perhaps they will save it for their fall conference when they are likely to announce price and launch date.

zroid

Banned
How far along could Smash Bros. really be at this point? I mean, it's useless at this E3 if all they have is a logo. More valuable for next E3.

They might only bring it up to remind people that it's happening. Smash always tends to generate a lot of mindshare.

5pm central for me if I'm reading that correctly.

29E6K.jpg

I bet Miyamoto is carrying pikmins in his bag. Notice he's not clutching the bag handle too hard! :p

My body was ready for the E3 conference...but...Nintendo Direct two days before, with Wii U focus and news? MY BODY WAS NEVER READY FOR THIS.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It'd be more like your parents giving you the system on the 23rd and only allowing you access to any bundled software, then giving you the other games on Christmas Day. Not altogether bad.

Ok, well.. but for me the potential for a sleeker case design is bigger than any one game (with the exception of Pikmin). Other than Pikmin not being screwed up and the graphics looks at least a generational half-step, the look of the final case design is what I'm most nervous about.

They almost have to show any updated to the controller and case, as its pretty darn hard to talk about the "concept behind the Wii U" without those things.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

If we were getting information on software, I would agree with you. But just hardware I don't mind. I doubt anything mind blowing will be shown, just showing off the new design and possibly some NFC demonstrations.

"Waah why do Sony and Microsoft reveal stuff before conference."

"OMG Nintendo is so smart they must have so much to show!"

They are ONLY showing off hardware as far as we know, and Nintendo doesn't have a history of spilling secrets before conferences. Plus they are kind of in a position where they have to because other developers will be showing off games before their conference.

zroid

Banned
watch there be some kinda video or something of smash at E3 you guys think there will be nothing?

Well, our current understanding is that it's barely even started development. It's probably still in the planning stages. Maybe they were fibbing all along and Sakurai's had his other team working on this project while he oversees both. I guess it's possible... but I wouldn't count on it.

Vinci

Danish
Ok, well.. but for me the potential for a sleeker case design is bigger than any one game (with the exception of Pikmin). Other than Pikmin not being screwed up and the graphics looks at least a generational half-step, the look of the final case design is what I'm most nervous about.

They almost have to show any updated to the controller and case, as its pretty darn hard to talk about the "concept behind the Wii U" without those things.

Question: Why are you so concerned about how the system looks? I'm not disregarding your opinion or anything - I just don't relate to it.

Wait, I'm confused. Why is this a big deal? They won't say much before their conference, I'd bet.

I don't see why they would have this, right before E3, if they're not going to talk about anything. They want to devote the time in their conference, and if they feel that there won't be time to cover all the games they want to and talk about the hardware, this is the next best thing.

Tu101uk

Wait, I'm confused. Why is this a big deal? They won't say much before their conference, I'd bet.
Considering that EA and Ubisoft might very well be showing WiiU gameplay on Monday, the day before Nintendo's actual conference, it makes a bit of sense to show off the actual hardware before the multiplatform publishers "ruin the surprise(s)", so to speak, and they won't have to hold back either in any potential technical demonstrations using the console...

Hype levels are brimming... And I've got work early the next day too... T.T

O-O~

Vinci

Danish

I think it's more what people imagine it means for the actual conference; ie. why are they getting some of this stuff out of the way? Because they have a lot to show, is what we're guessing. Besides, getting hardware/controller stuff over and done with prior to the conference just simplifies things for the actual conferences (Nintendo's and their 3rd party partners').

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You know the adage, never bet against Nintendo.

This kind of execution makes me believe Wii U will be BIG. I predicted a couple of years ago next Nintendo console would be a tablet of some sort, because it made too much sense with their DS expertise and market trends.

Today, I envision the endless possibilities offered to developpers, with the perfect merge of all control types Wii U embeds. And I'm ready to bet Pachter, IGN & co will once again look stupid in few months.

Can't wait to see this week unfold :)

botty

Banned
They'll probably end up showing stuff that's coming out during the summer, and save the insane stuff for their conference.

jvalioli

I'm super confused by Nintendo's E3 schedule.

They have Nintendo Direct, E3 conference, hardware event with WiiU lead engineer, and a WiiU software showcase? Is that right?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm super confused by Nintendo's E3 schedule.

They have Nintendo Direct, E3 conference, hardware event with WiiU lead engineer, and a WiiU software showcase? Is that right?
Yes, the latter two events will probably be a lot of the same points from the former two. The conference will undoubtedly still be the biggest thing.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Question: Why are you so concerned about how the system looks? I'm not disregarding your opinion or anything - I just don't relate to it.

I'm particular, I guess. The aesthetics of the console, controller, marketing, etc. are important to me as they combine to give an overall "product experience". I really can't stand the case design as it stands. No personality what so ever.

Anth0ny

At the very most, we'll get a CG teaser for Smash 4.

But honestly, I think we'll have to wait until next year to get our first look.

Roo

Incredibly unlikely considering Kid Icarus: Uprising is just a couple of months old.

Yes, the game was recently released
but Project Sora was technically done with the game since November-December so even a CG trailer is not that far fetched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom