• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Feb 13, 2014 Thread | 3DS/Wii U Spring games

Riki

Isn't the lack of JRPG's this past gen a result of Japanese game developers struggling with HD development and HD development costs? Theres a reason why they are only now getting around to announcing Persona 5 and other big name Jrpgs.

Not all developers are created equal. Monolith Soft spent a lot of time on R&D for HD development before the WiiU was even announced.
This is a big reason their first HD outing is so much more advanced that most RPG makers are even now.

Maybe I have less time on my hands than others but between Wii U and 3DS, I could quite easily go Nintendo only this gen. I actually don't mind the release gaps as I have a load of titles to get through.

Sandfox

It's so sad that we fans are resigned to not only propping up this poor excuse for a platform, but we're also so accepting that Nintendo has no incentive to even keep us happy with any more games than have been promised.

It'll be interesting to see who has the courage/blind faith to adopt their next platform early.

At this point I don't think it worth it when nobody owns or wants a Wii U and Nintendo can just invest that money into projects that will actually make them money.

Linkhero1

It's so sad that we fans are resigned to not only propping up this poor excuse for a platform, but we're also so accepting that Nintendo has no incentive to even keep us happy with any more games than have been promised.

It'll be interesting to see who has the courage/blind faith to adopt their next platform early.

I've enjoyed everything they've delivered so far in terms of experiences, but they're really out of touch. I will definitely sit their next console out for the first year.

At this point I don't think it worth it when nobody owns or wants a Wii U and Nintendo can just invest that money into projects that will actually make them money.

Oh, when it comes to their bottom line, it's hard to disagree. It's a pathetic situation for Nintendo... and for us.

Amir0x

Banned
They probably did and it might be coming out this year but knowing how these things work (especially HD JRPG development) I have big doubts of it hitting this year. Besides Iwata is gonna want to delay something to pad out 2015.

I dunno, Wii U is so dead man... X ain't gonna save 2015 for Wii U. And it's not like Iwata cared that they let Wii die an unceremonious death.

I mean it could be delayed and it would not surprise me one bit, but I hope not. Bayonetta 2 and X are basically all I am genuinely looking forward to left on the Wii U :(

TriGen

Maybe I have less time on my hands than others but between Wii U and 3DS, I could quite easily go Nintendo only this gen. I actually don't mind the release gaps as I have a load of titles to get through.

The 3DS has been supported pretty well. I could see someone getting a lot out of it along with a Wii U. Wii U by itself would be hard.

That's why so many people like the idea of joint architecture between the next handheld and console. Iwata talking about having games tied to your account and being more like iOS would mean that people could enjoy a ND because they wouldn't have to worry about the console being overshadowed by the handheld. Nintendo games would be Nintendo games. Nintendo's support hasn't been bad this gen -- Nintendo's console support has.

Sandfox

Oh, when it comes to their bottom line, it's hard to disagree. It's a pathetic situation for Nintendo... and for us.

If they make the right moves they will probably find themselves in a much better situation with their next gaming console and handheld. Iwata said that they're going to invest money into fixing their weaknesses and now we need to see what comes of that.

Kid Ying

You call that trying? The comment that was given didn't say there weren't going to be new games announced. Of course there will be new games, but they're probably going to be safe investments, cheap games and spaced out.

Nintendo is going to do what Sony did with the Vita. They both can support the platform better with big AAA games, but they're not going to bother investing in a system that will not provide enough sales. What Nintendo has against it though, is that they didn't react quickly and they couldn't convince third parties to put some games on the Wii U. Sony went after niche third parties and indies to give the impression that the system is still healthy. Somehow it worked and those type of games are selling good enough. It will be more difficult for Nintendo to do that.

All things are pointing out to the comment you was disagreeing with. I can see the 5 games showcased in this Direct for 2014 and early 2015. Then they have their other announced games like Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, new Sonic and Hyrule Warriors to fill out the rest of 2015. There will be new games announced here and there that are cheap to make and don't take a long time like HD release or something similar to nes collection. The new Zelda might still come along with another big game to release as the last big games from them. Unless Nintendo is panicking so much, to the point of willing to put the new Zelda on a different system.

This might sound too bleak. We'll just have to wait things out and see how Nintendo will get out of this one. I don't think they're willing to risk this.
If releasing something Evert month is not trying, what they should do? Also, Zelda mudou is already scheduled for summer of this year.

There's only this much nintendo can do. They even States that they are going to announce games that males more use of the gamepad and, unless that turn indo nothing its already a promise of something new.

Pretty much played out as I had envisioned with an emphasis on F2P games for the 3DS and more mid-priced downloadable titles - also nice to see Nintendo pushing the Inazuma anime on eShop - makes sense as Nintendo can be the platform to access these complete brands going forward - that Level 5 / Nintendo relationship is solid...

That said, based on this DIrect - it would make sense with all of the Wii U's troubles that Retro's next title ends up being a F2P downloadable Metroid multiplayer co-op game like Portal that they get out by the end of the year (with DLC mission packs), and Starfox is a highly replayable hour or two long, download-only title priced at $20

"AAA" content with big budgets and large teams for the Wii U is going to be minimal going forward unless there is a dramatic reversal after Mario Kart and Smash (I think Iwata is finally pulling the plug after many people at Nintendo warned him not to get stuck in the HD development arms race).

I predict we will see lots of mid-tier games - some that go into retail (Zelda Musuo) and some that don't (probably Starfox which is going to be tough to get retailers interested in)

Frankly I'm ok with that - I look forward to Nintendo actually providing interesting game play rather than trying to push higher-res textures that make marginal difference to most peoples' enjoyment of their products

If they make the right moves they will probably find themselves in a much better situation with their next gaming console and handheld. Iwata said that they're going to invest money into fixing their weaknesses and now we need to see what comes of that.

If they go for a unified software platform that has games played across both handheld and console, I think that's a great start. Unfortunately, they're also about to move software developers to go work on some QoL platform. And let's not forget that Iwata also promised to fix the droughts on Gamecube, DS, Wii, and 3DS prior to Wii U. His word means nothing.

TriGen

I dunno, Wii U is so dead man... X ain't gonna save 2015 for Wii U. And it's not like Iwata cared that they let Wii die an unceremonious death.

I mean it could be delayed and it would not surprise me one bit, but I hope not. Bayonetta 2 and X are basically all I am genuinely looking forward to left on the Wii U :(

Yeah, things getting delayed would be bad for the Wii U. Hopefully anything currently slated for 2014 hits the mark.

What I've been thinking is what if a game gets pushed into late 2015 -- does that game even make it to the Wii U? I think Nintendo will have a new console in 2016, if that happens do you really put out big time stuff in 2015? Some early stuff yes, but I'm talking late 2015-early 2016 games. The Wii was kind of dead and it seemed like Nintendo didn't gain anything by putting Skyward Sword on it in 2011 -- and their next console had a disappointing launch lineup -- so when you have a console that isn't selling do you hold off a bit if you have a new console for 2016?

That's why I have been really rooting for 2014 to get the games out that I want, as I fear for any title that might slip into that late 2015/2016 range. Hopefully they put out games when they're ready and then port them to their next console if it comes to that.

Sandfox

If they go for a unified software platform that has games played across both handheld and console, I think that's a great start. Unfortunately, they're also about to move software developers to go work on some QoL platform. And let's not forget that Iwata also promised to fix the droughts on Gamecube, DS, Wii, and 3DS prior to Wii U. His word means nothing.

The QoL platform is supposed to be released next year and given the type of content it should have the games should be developed from the people that came up with the Wii series and games like Brain Age, so I really don't see that really eating up too much SW development resources from the other platforms.

The drought thing will only be fixed when Nintendo can get proper 3rd party support and will only happen when Nintendo fixes their other issues.

Linkhero1

I feel like they've said that they're working on fixing their weaknesses a thousand times and nothing has come out of it so far.

Riposte

I propped up the Dreamcast and the Xbox, because I don't care about the theater people turn their products into. I just follow the good games and after a certain amount I'm satisfied with a platform.

well i bought the wii U purely on the speculation that Retro was making another Donkey Kong Country so I got my moneys worth.

The fake-polite "sir" thing got old long ago. Drop it.

Illogical doesnt describe anything I did. I'm already playing Mario and 101, and will get DK soon if reviews are stellar. I incorrectly assumed Super Smash, Zelda and other compelling content would be out sooner rather than later. Yeah, tough luck for my impulse buy, but would you say that to every person who got one and ended up greatly disappointed? Because I'm one of apparently many who aren't very happy with the state of the Wii U. Lambasting my shopping habits doesn't change the lackluster experience of owning this console.
I will not drop the sir, sir. To put it simply, it was illogical to purchase without checking into when the content you would want will be available. It would be logical to value your money and put in a few minutes worth of research. So yes, I will lambaste your shopping habits because they result in you throwing your money away. You should be lambasting your shopping habits as well.

And yes, I would say this to anyone who did what you did and then goes "OMG WTF!" all over the place.

Amir0x

Banned
well i bought the wii U purely on the speculation that Retro was making another Donkey Kong Country so I got my moneys worth.

I kind of keep getting so fucked as far as Retro is concerned. I mean the Metroid Prime games are some of my all-time favorite titles. I never even liked the original DKC games, then they came with DKC:R and it had that shake to roll shit and an entire mine cart world, so I couldn't love that either. The new DKC looks like a massive improvement and I may finally be about to love a DKC game due to it, but boy do I wish Retro was putting their might into making a genuinely new game built around the strength of Wii U's technical power and gamepad. They're capable of so much, and the Wii U is inundated with colorful mascot platformers already... to me, a waste :(

The Wii U's situation sucks for Nintendo, but it's entirely their fault, the public image they have is on them.

For me personally, I'm more than happy with my Wii U. I'd never solely own a Nintendo system, that's why I have my PS3 (and eventual PS4), but I'd also never solely own a Sony system. I'd just feel like I'm missing out on Nintendo's games, no matter how few they are.

I didn't get burnt at launch, I waited for W101's release and bought a basic model on clearance, and I just can't imagine missing out on that game, and 3D World, and Bayonetta 2, and X, and Smash Bros.
Really, no matter how badly they screw up the next system, as long as they keep bringing some top quality games out I'll be buying it.

I kind of keep getting so fucked as far as Retro is concerned. I mean the Metroid Prime games are some of my all-time favorite titles. I never even liked the original DKC games, then they came with DKC:R and it had that shake to roll shit and an entire mine cart world, so I couldn't love that either. The new DKC looks like a massive improvement and I may finally be about to love a DKC game due to it, but boy do I wish Retro was putting their might into making a genuinely new game built around the strength of Wii U's technical power and gamepad. They're capable of so much, and the Wii U is inundated with colorful mascot platformers already... to me, a waste :(

I would definetly give the new DKC a try. I have a funny feeling it might outsell 3D World in the U.S. and Europe because for some reason DKC has a very dedicated fan following possibly due to there being such a huge abrupt gap from DK 64 (1999) to DKCR (2010). It's the same reason why Killer Instinct is the only thing Microsoft has going for them at the moment.

As for Retro, after all the shit Nintendo got after the VGA's they will probably work on something else next (though I do hope they make a 3rd DKC game at some point).

AniHawk

I would definetly give the new DKC a try. I have a funny feeling it might outsell 3D World in the U.S. and Europe because for some reason DKC has a very dedicated fan following possibly due to there being such a huge abrupt gap from the DK3/DK64 to DKCR. It's the same reason why Killer Instinct is the only thing Microsoft has going for them at the moment.

As for Retro, after all the shit Nintendo got after the VGA's they will probably work on something else next (though I do hope they make a 3rd DKC game at some point).

dkc tf would probably outsell 3d world on the basis of it being a dream within a dream.

Summary of Iwata's Nintendo Directs

i6lIJwjZciaJS.gif

Amir0x

Banned
I would definetly give the new DKC a try. I have a funny feeling it might outsell 3D World in the U.S. and Europe because for some reason DKC has a very dedicated fan following possibly due to there being such a huge abrupt gap from DK 64 (1999) to DKCR (2010). It's the same reason why Killer Instinct is the only thing Microsoft has going for them at the moment.

I mean even though I'm not excited for it I wish it success, and I hope it with Mario Kart and Smash Bros can manage to change the entire fate of Wii U. I just sincerely doubt it, so I hope Retro can manage to create something completely new and bold before Wii U is put to death unceremoniously by Nintendo in a few years. I wish they weren't wasting time on DKC in other words. I know that's selfish but I buy games for myself obviously :p

kuroshiki

You can still be one but your going to miss some of the best games of each gen.

When WiiU is on firesale, I'm sure a lot of us will get to play the 'best games' without much of financial sacrifice.

and I have this funny feeling that fire sale is definitely coming, sooner rather than later.

RpgN

If releasing something Evert month is not trying, what they should do? Also, Zelda mudou is already scheduled for summer of this year.

There's only this much nintendo can do. They even States that they are going to announce games that males more use of the gamepad and, unless that turn indo nothing its already a promise of something new.

You're talking about Japan in regards to being scheduled for Summer?

It's pointless to ask what they should do at this point to turn things around. The system has a strong negative force against it, that they'd need a miracle if they want to turn things around. They'd need constant marketing campaigns, lots of game releases, good price drops and bundles, good online and account integration, maybe drop the gamepad. Yeah...it's not gonna happen. This costs money and lots of effort. Even Iwata said having a price drop is not going to solve things all of a sudden.

The best thing Nintendo can do is what they're doing right now. Release the stuff they're working on, put minimal effort and hope that random games/services might change some fortunes. There isn't an easy fix that will make the system popular or a healthy enough eco-system right now.

I don't know where you're basing the claim that Nintendo is releasing something every month unless you're counting VC, eshop games and new hardware sku. Maybe we're talking from different perspectives if you mean that they're doing a good enough job to please the fans, while I'm talking about the system having any chance of getting out of the situation it got pushed in.

I wonder how soon they will sell Retro? With poorer and poorer performance ahead on the horizon I see them getting rid of another non Japanese studio to try to earn some profit and further insulating themselves.

I wonder how soon they will sell Retro? With poorer and poorer performance ahead on the horizon I see them getting rid of another non Japanese studio to try to earn some profit and further insulating themselves.

Wat. Like Nintendo needs to have less developers on the forefront. Retro is fine, especially with how well DKCR sold. If anything bad were to happen it would be that Retro gets used to help other fledgling products and ends up delaying a new Retro-developed title for a few years.

Wat. Like Nintendo needs to have less developers on the forefront. Retro is fine, especially with how well DKCR sold. If anything bad were to happen it would be that Retro gets used to help other fledgling products and ends up delaying a new Retro-developed title for a few years.

Rare games also sold well.

AniHawk

Rare games also sold well.

rare was never totally owned by nintendo and microsoft jacked up the asking price for rare so nintendo wouldn't buy them outright.

nintendo didn't sell rare. nintendo sold their portion of rare when it was apparent they weren't going to hold on to their exclusivity (and didn't want to/couldn't purchase them wholly).

retro was fully purchased for a million dollars a decade ago.

Retro doesn't have the problem Rare did of the Stamper Bros wanting to sell their shares and Nintendo unwilling to make the investment.

Nintendo already fully owns Retro.

(edit lol beaten)

rare was never totally owned by nintendo and microsoft jacked up the asking price for rare so nintendo wouldn't buy them outright.

nintendo didn't sell rare. nintendo sold their portion of rare when it was apparent they weren't going to hold on to their exclusivity (and didn't want to/couldn't purchase them wholly).

retro was fully purchased for a million dollars a decade ago.

Thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see what happens with them. Nintendo is a sinking ship with Iwata at the helm. Usually he makes the worst decisions possible so I see him doing something to them after Donkey Kong gets poor sales.

Shiggy

Thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see what happens with them. Nintendo is a sinking ship with Iwata at the helm. Usually he makes the worst decisions possible so I see him doing something to them after Donkey Kong gets poor sales.

After poor sales of DKCTP he will put them on another DKC to wonder why it still won't sell. It's iwatiotic.

When WiiU is on firesale, I'm sure a lot of us will get to play the 'best games' without much of financial sacrifice.

and I have this funny feeling that fire sale is definitely coming, sooner rather than later.

Lol I meant it the other way round lol as in if you did not have a PS2, PS360/PC, PS$/XB1/PC then you will be missing some of best games in each gen.

X and Smash are only coming late 2014. I'l probably get a WiiU early 2015 for £99 hopefully.

big youth

what irks me is the absence of easy, low risk games like Bayonetta 1, Mario Galaxy HD collection/some other HD collection. Would announcements like these be more exciting than Steel Diver or NES remake 2? Not in themselves, but it would indicate to me that Nintendo is learning, using common sense.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The last two years of Wii really tarnished the brand. If they weren't already before, Nintendo consoles are now completely untrustworthy to get any consistent flow of games or any substantive third-party support.
As someone who bought a Wii in its first year thinking this would be Nintendo's big chance to turn around the software problem, I remember having to reluctantly redefine my expectations.

They support their handhelds better than anyone else supports any of their respective platforms, though.
This is true and shouldn't be forgotten. Nintendo handhelds are consistently God Tier when it comes to depth, breadth and longevity.

I find the situation a bit comical, this disparity in health between their home and handheld platforms has existed for so long, a cynical person could suggest they use their consoles as "practice runs" for the eventual handheld with similar features which inevitably comes out five years down the line ;)

told yall.

that said the games that were shown all look pretty good and at least those wont get cancelled.

NES Remix 2 seems to be a good idea. the first one was good so its a nice surprise at least.

JoeM86

Nintendo has been expanding, they're not contracting. Yes, they are projecting a financial loss for this year and the Wii U isn't doing well, but the company is not collapsing. They are nowhere near the need to sell off assets.

If anything, they'll be spending money to get more developers to help turn things around. They're not going to downsize

I think Smash and especially Mario Kart is Nintendo's last hope.

If those don't sell and don't move systems, it's probably over for the Wii U.

Which makes me sad because what if Wii U becomes the first Nintendo console without a Zelda sequel?! *cry*

Which makes me sad because what if Wii U becomes the first Nintendo console without a Zelda sequel?! *cry*

its already "over" for wiiu in terms of popularity
but they wont kill it because that would have greater consequences for future business (maybe even handheld) then just being marginalized in the console market for a decade.
Nintendo has been expanding, they're not contracting. Yes, they are projecting a financial loss for this year and the Wii U isn't doing well, but the company is not collapsing. They are nowhere near the need to sell off assets.

If anything, they'll be spending money to get more developers to help turn things around. They're not going to downsize

i agree. they cursed to expand. they need a far greater headcount and need to increase their output. M&A is the only option I think. luckily enough the whole industry isnt looking that great either. a lot of studios are not so sound financially.

And yet DKCR3D sold very well at little extra cost and its profits were probably enough to fund DKCTF on its own.

You're overthinking this.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...crossing-an-audience-with-new-leafs-creators/ Nintendo was deciding which platform to put it on. I think they were watching how the Wii U did over Christmas before greenlighting a Wii U version.

As such, I hope you have some cash for the QoL platform to play the next AC on.

honestly i see animal crossing U being one of there big titles in 2015 along with zelda u as a 1 2 punch for the holidays, guarantee production of the game started around the time new leaf released in japan before the wii u was in trouble. Hell they already made HD models for all the characters which is another reason i believe the game is already in production.

m0t0k1

If they do this, killing it off early they are going to lose a lot of people including me. I think nintendo is offering the best games at the moment but the day they just drop a console is the day i lose my trust in them. I think this goes for a lot of people who bought a wii u.

JoeM86

If they do this, killing it off early they are going to lose a lot of people including me. I think nintendo is offering the best games at the moment but the day they just drop a console is the day i lose my trust in them. I think this goes for a lot of people who bought a wii u.

Nintendo won't do it. They know it's a bad idea. Relax :)

Top Bottom