• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct on April 12 (3PM PT, Switch/3DS, mainly Splarms)

Man, this direct was awesome. Besides the two headliners (Arms and Splatoon 2) quite a lot of the other games shown and revealed look interesting to me as well.

Project Mekuru looks fun and it's nice to finally have Monster Hunter Stories confirmed for the west.

I might even get Rayman again for more Kung Foot.

Wow, went in expecting a lot of Splatoon and Arms, came out surprised when there were more stuff than I expected, see how that works? ��

Yeah I figured it was going to be Arms + Splatoon, some Mario Kart footage and maybe one or two small announcements.

killroy87

I came away from that pretty satisfied. I was hoping for a surprise at the end, but what can you do. I'll be buying a lot of these games.

I was disappointed that the rapid fire 3DS section had way more interesting stuff than the Switch section though. Put that thing to pasture, already.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This direct was OK. Great format, a decent number of games shown, but nothing mind blowing in terms of actual games.

The big issue is that there are still very few Switch games with actual release dates.

And for me personally the big disappointment is that I have nothing to be excited about until mid-June and we're in mid-April now.

I know what I said earlier probably got drowned out, but people should be really hyped for Nintendos E3.

This Direct was pretty much perfect in flow and game after game. So much better than a conference. Like not even close. I don't care for the audiences reaction. Nintendo may do a live conference so people can say "Nintendo was there", but this Direct and format was so good regardless if you care about the games or not.

Nintendo is going all out and my hype is through the roof for their E3!

And if E3 doesn't deliver there will always be that big September direct that makes total sense because E3 is so overrated and nobody watches it anymore, right?

LordKano

It's just a reflection on past experiences.

Yeah sure, and a good way to try your best to be overly negative for no reason and without any arguments. No personal feelings against you, but that kind of post is starting to become common, coming from the same people everytime and serves no purpose except trying to be smart by "lulz you fanboys never learn !!".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah sure, and a good way to try your best to be overly negative for no reason and without any arguments. No personal feelings against you, but that kind of post is starting to become common, coming from the same people everytime and serves no purpose except trying to be smart by "lulz you fanboys never learn !!".

That's your interpretation of it. I haven't mentioned any fanboy.

Edit: I just noticed that you weren't around at the time of E3 2015, so that's why you don't know what I'm referring to.

This direct was OK. Great format, a decent number of games shown, but nothing mind blowing in terms of actual games.

The big issue is that there are still very few Switch games with actual release dates.

And for me personally the big disappointment is that I have nothing to be excited about until mid-June and we're in mid-April now.

Be patient.

Third party games like the Jackbox Party Pack and Mr. Shifty were announced for the Switch just 2 weeks before their release dates. I imagine more games will be announced for the system with the same turnaround time.

I think Nintendo should have tried to lure some of those long ass PC adventure games to the system that we're seeing hit mobile and iPad like Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate EE. Would have definitely kept me busy.

Mory Dunz

I am still surprised that certain 3DS games (Like ever oasis or the kirby games) don't simultaneously come out on the Switch.

Why do they announce Holiday 2017 3DS Only games when (hopefully) Switch is replacing the 3DS.....

Huge established userbase VS not huge established userbase. That easy.

IMO, 3DS makes sense for Fire Emblem, FE Warriors, New Kirby Games, etc, because those games will actually capitalize on the userbase and are known to sell.

But Ever Oasis, Mario Sports,and 2D platformer Pikmin are going to bomb and I made this call over half a year ago. Unlike those previously mentioned games with a strong selling base, games like these would benefit from being on Switch with little competition. (See bomberman). Mario Sports would've especially done pretty well as a Switch launch game. ("Mario game" at launch alone would do it) Now they're basically being out to pasture.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Be patient.

Third party games like the Jackbox Party Pack and Mr. Shifty were announced for the Switch just 2 weeks before their release dates. I imagine more games will be announced for the system with the same turnaround time.

Ah, yeah. That reminds me to buy Jackbox Party Pack tonight. I'm not into Mr. Shifty though.

Thought it was a good solid direct. Between this and the indies direct, there is a lot of games coming out between now and E3.

Salmon run didn't do much for me though, i hope we get a dedicated direct for the game sometime soon to show of Splatoon core modes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually expected that they will show more about ARMS and especially Splatoon since the Direct was advertised as such. Like showing the single player campaign for Splatoon, more maps and what not. But with them releasing so late it's understandable.

I actually expected that they will show more about ARMS and especially Splatoon since the Direct was advertised as such. Like showing the single player campaign for Splatoon, more maps and what not. But with them releasing so late it's understandable.

I still think they'll get a mini direct each the week before their release. Too much has to yet to be shown.

New direct format is great. Fast and on the point. The idea of representing the smaller games in a list is a great one, too.

Content wise, Splatoon and Arms do nothing for me, but I'm not really disappointed because well... its exactly as Nintendo stated.

They will drop their bombs at E3.

Yeah i think Splatoon will get a beefier direct before launch. It is a big game for nintendo, especially in Japan and i think Nintendo will push everything they have for the game. Seen that it is launching inline with School holidays in Japan (and actually all over the world (well northern hemisphere at least). Still a few months until release as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Here I am! (I suppose)
And you know what?! I liked the Direct.
MH Stories could have been enough :D
But both ARMS and Splatoon dates and news are great, and there were also a couple of small surprises I was expecting. That Turned-based THQ Nordic RPG seems great, and I could be interested in Night of Azure honestly

So far the best news is that Nintendo isnt' f*cking up the release schedule shared during the January event, so I totally expect them to respect also the FE Warrios/Oddissey/Xeno trinity for late August/mid November

And that would be GLORIOUS to me

Especially if at E3 they will unveil you know..games? That is very likely: both first party and third party, maybe even with some games to be released within the year

I am still VERY critic about other aspects, you know? That have always been my concerns, like the actual merging of portable and home lineups (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Level5 efforts, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter...only Fire Emblem 2018 and SMTHD so far respond to my "will")

LordKano

Here I am! (I suppose)
And you know what?! I liked the Direct.
MH Stories could have been enough :D
But both ARMS and Splatoon dates and news are great, and there were also a couple of small surprises I was expecting. That Turned-based THQ Nordic RPG seems great, and I could be interested in Night of Azure honestly

So far the best news is that Nintendo isnt' f*cking up the release schedule shared during the January event, so I totally expect them to respect also the FE Warrios/Oddissey/Xeno trinity for late August/mid November

And that would be GLORIOUS to me

Especially if at E3 they will unveil you know..games? That is very likely: both first party and third party, maybe even with some games to be released within the year

I am still VERY critic about other aspects, you know? That have always been my concerns, like the actual merging of portable and home lineups (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Level5 efforts, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter...only Fire Emblem 2018 and SMTHD so far respond to my "will")

I wasn't even thinking about you when I said that but I'm very glad you're happy with the direct !!!

I thought the direct was pretty good. I mean I wasn't a wii u owner so with Zelda plus dlc, Mario Kart, Arms and then Splatoon I got enough to play till holidays. I think E3 is when they will drop all their heavy hitters.

One thing that I wished they would have talked about was their online service and how their app would function but I am assuming that will come at E3...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still think they'll get a mini direct each the week before their release. Too much has to yet to be shown.

Probably, yeah. Or maybe they will go the way they did it lately and release some videos (weekly/bi-weekly) closer to the release.

Edit: or they could show more at E3 which 1 month before the release.

jariw

They promised Splatoon 2 Hero Mode would be covered in the next direct.

When did they say this? Was it on the stream? I missed that part.

But I really felt that ARMS is the game that needs a more focused direct. Splatoon is much easier to promote, since many people are familiar with the old game.

Overall, I'm impressed with how clear Nintendo has been with their message after the Switch reveal event. The Nindie Direct was extremely focused with lot of quality content. And this Direct focused on non-Nindie, non-E3-worthy titles.

I wonder why they didn't announce more ports of WiiU games. New Super Mario Bros. should always sell.

I think they probably have a 2d Mario in the works. Whilst there is a general disdain for the series on gaf (although the joy of users upon the NSMB reveal way back in 2006 (?) was something, amazing how opinion as changed) the 2D mario formula is still extremely successful. I think we will get a new one first and then a re-package of NSMBu soon after.

A 2D mario game will be a good sales driver next year, wouldn't be surprised if it is a christmas game next year.

Cartho

I still think all of these "we keep seeing loads of 3DS exclusive stuff because it has a huge user base and Switch doesn't" type posts are totally disconnected from reality.

PS360 had a huge install base when PS4 and XB1 came out. We didn't get loads of time taken up with PS360 exclusives though, nor did Sony / MS insist on saying over and over "our old consoles are still relevant and they can co exist with the new ones!!"

Just let 3DS quietly fade Nintendo. Release cross generation games like Fire Emblem Warriors etc but don't make a huge deal out of the old version - Sony and MS did this with their new gen: we got Destiny and Dragon Age Inquisition on PS360 a year after PS4 and XB1 launched.

I just cannot fathom:

a) why Nintendo are still marketing 3DS so hard - I mean the first 5 mins or so of that direct was entirely random 3DS stuff.

b) why people are trying to defend it.

I accept that loads of people own 3DS, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should keep wasting development time and PR time focusing on it - they have a new system, surely to time to move on?

oti

Banned
MH: Stories looks cute.
Ever Oasis too, there could be a great gameplay loop with filling the oasis with water, not digging the aesthetic too much though.
Pikmin 2D platformer, I don't know. Could be ok.
Arms looks neat.
I need the yellow Joy-Con.
Splatoon horde mode could be fun.
Monopoly could be decent, but it will be 50€ or something ridculous like that.
Battle Chasers: Nightwar could be cool, I hope it runs well.
Rayman Definitive Edition looks super lame.
Zelda SS amiibo looks cool.
More Kirby stuff is always ok with me, my cousin loves those games.

I still think all of these "we keep seeing loads of 3DS exclusive stuff because it has a huge user base and Switch doesn't" type posts are totally disconnected from reality.

PS360 had a huge install base when PS4 and XB1 came out. We didn't get loads of time taken up with PS360 exclusives though, nor did Sony / MS insist on saying over and over "our old consoles are still relevant and they can co exist with the new ones!!"

Just let 3DS quietly fade Nintendo. Release cross generation games like Fire Emblem Warriors etc but don't make a huge deal out of the old version - Sony and MS did this with their new gen: we got Destiny and Dragon Age Inquisition on PS360 a year after PS4 and XB1 launched.

I just cannot fathom:

a) why Nintendo are still marketing 3DS so hard - I mean the first 5 mins or so of that direct was entirely random 3DS stuff.

I accept that loads of people own 3DS, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should keep wasting development time and PR time focusing on it - they have a new system, surely to time to move on?

Why is this so hard to understand? Switch is not the replacement of the 3DS. It replaces the Wii U.

Cerium

I just cannot fathom:

Third party relations.

Imagine approaching, say, Square Enix and telling them "Yeah that 3DS version of DQXI that's probably going to sell the most in Japan? We're burying the system and you're on your own. Peace!"

Third parties are still interested in making money on 3DS and so long as that is the case Nintendo will accommodate them.

Bluth54

Why is this so hard to understand? Switch is not the replacement of the 3DS. It replaces the Wii U.

The Switch is definitely more of a handheld with TV out than a console that you can take on the go. But I do think the intention is for the Switch to replace both the 3DS and the Wii U but a lot of these 3DS games were in development so they're going to release them.

Kikorin

Great stuff for a direct close to the E3.

At the end what surprised me the most is the announce of Payday 2. I know is an old port and about all in the other thread is complaining will be shitty, but I think it's really surprising it's coming on a Nintendo console, exactly like Skyrim.

oti

Banned
The Switch is definitely more of a handheld with TV out than a console that you can take on the go. But I do think the intention is for the Switch to replace both the 3DS and the Wii U but a lot of these 3DS games were in development so they're going to release them.

The Switch is a hybrid. End of story.

Switch is Nintendo's future. That's clear. But it's obvious that's for now it's the successor to the Wii U. The console Nintendo stopped developing games for. Nintendo needs the 3DS as a cheap entry point for price sensitive consumers. The two consumer groups that are interested in 3DS or Switch are different. Abandoning the 3DS right now would be bad business. It's just that people on a message board don't seem to understand this very basic business decision.

The truth hurts.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Switch is a hybrid. End of story.

Switch is Nintendo's future. That's clear. But it's obvious that's for now it's the successor to the Wii U. The console Nintendo stopped developing games for. Nintendo needs the 3DS as a cheap entry point for price sensitive consumers. The two consumer groups that are interested in 3DS or Switch are different. Abandoning the 3DS right now would be bad business. It's just that people on a message board don't seem to understand this very basic business decision.

This doesn't explain why they are not doing cross-gen games and keep pumping 3ds exclusives.

oti

Banned
This doesn't explain why they are not doing cross-gen games and keep pumping 3ds exclusives.

Why would they be doing cross-gen games? You think the first HD Mario Sports game should be that bad 3DS game? The game that only exists to have something with Mario and a football on store shelves and to sell amiibo cards?

There will be a Switch Fire Emblem, a Switch Kirby, a Switch Mario Sports. But for now Nintendo is releasing them on their cash cow. Low investment high revenues.

I think this idea of Nintendo should release 3DS games on Switch with HD textures is odd. Maybe they'll do it with Pokémon, because it's Pokémon. Maybe they will release those games at a later date with some sort of label, like they did with the new play control or something with Wii games. But for now I don't think cross-gen games is the way to go.

It always is because there's always something new coming. Come on now.

It doesn't answer the question though. People said "Switch reveal event will be when they'll show the games". It has yet to happen. Nintendo has yet to justify their last 2 years of moving to Switch. And they have yet to justify Switch being their only focus.

Zedark

Nah, he got a point though. How long has it been "wait till the next event ?"
I mean, is it not reasonable to wait for the coming E3 before talking definitively about the Switch' software future? If E3 doesn't deliver, then it is reasonable to say third parties aren't coming (anytime soon), but to me E3 was the time to wait until definitively making a judgment on that.

JoeM86

It doesn't answer the question though. People said "Switch reveal event will be when they'll show the games". It has yet to happen. Nintendo has yet to justify their last 2 years of moving to Switch. And they have yet to justify Switch being their only focus.

They revealed the games at the Switch event...

What the hell are you talking about?

Just because Nintendo aren't revealing games that won't be out for three years doesn't mean shit. Nintendo are a company who often have big games, reveal them, and release them just months later. Yes, they sometimes have longer periods (BotW, XCX), but they backfire so often.

Stop trying to be obtuse

LordKano

Nah, he got a point though. How long has it been "wait till the next event ?"

It's always the same delay. There was a big event in January, and now the next big event is E3. It's always during the same events that big games are announced. It's the same with Microsoft and Sony. Nobody expects Microsoft to announce loads of games in April of all months. Why would you expect anyone to do that when E3 is two months further ?

If we were at E3 and the direct was disappointing, that I could understand. It's not the case at all though.

The truth hurts.

lol, please keep maddening in your corner please

I mean, is it not reasonable to wait for the coming E3 before talking definitively about the Switch' software future? If E3 doesn't deliver, then it is reasonable to say third parties aren't coming (anytime soon), but to me E3 was the time to wait until definitively making a judgment on that.

Right, but if E3 doesn't deliver again ? That's the point of the post and nothing sickening about that.

They revealed the games at the Switch event...

What the hell are you talking about?

Just because Nintendo aren't revealing games that won't be out for three years doesn't mean shit. Nintendo are a company who often have big games, reveal them, and release them just months later. Yes, they sometimes have longer periods (BotW, XCX), but they backfire so often.

Stop trying to be obtuse

They revealed a few games but hardly enough to justify the previous droughts. Then again, it's all about questioning their ability to sustain even one platform nowadays.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why would they be doing cross-gen games? You think the first HD Mario Sports game should be that bad 3DS game? The game that only exists to have something with Mario and a football on store shelves and to sell amiibo cards?

There will be a Switch Fire Emblem, a Switch Kirby, a Switch Mario Sports. But for now Nintendo is releasing them on their cash cow. Low investment high revenues.

I think this idea of Nintendo should release 3DS games on Switch with HD textures is odd. Maybe they'll do it with Pokémon, because it's Pokémon. Maybe they will release those games at a later date with some sort of label, like they did with the new play control or something with Wii games. But for now I don't think cross-gen games is the way to go.

If the 3ds exclusives are so bad then this contradicts the point you made earlier about Nintendo addressing different market segments with 3ds and Switch.

A HD Mario Sports would not be worse or better than 1-2-Switch in the end.

Why wouldn't you release Ever Oasis on Switch too for example?

Also it's fine to release late Wii U ports with a bumped resolution but it's not fine to release new 3ds games with HD textures? Why? A lot of what's currently on eshop are not really visual showpieces.

LordKano

Right, but if E3 doesn't deliver again ? That's the point of the post and nothing sickening about that.

Then you bring arguments about why you think E3 will sucks and then there's a discussion point. Pointing people with shitty pre-made sentences like "you will say that anyway bcz I'm so much smarter and know fanboys so well !!" has absolutely no purpose and brings nothing to a conversation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

They revealed a few games but hardly enough to justify the previous droughts. Then again, it's all about questioning their ability to sustain even one platform nowadays.

Then who knows? We cant predict the future until it happens, sometimes nintendo drops all their bombs at E3, sometimes nintendo drops bombs at their nintendo direct that are sometimes spread all throughout the year.

JoeM86

Because they're pacing everything out. Nintendo has pretty much at least one first party title coming a month.

March: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
March: 1-2 Switch
March: Snipperclips
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: Nothing (but has exclusives like Street Fighter, plus big titles like Minecraft)
June: ARMS
July: Splatoon

Then later this year we have, Nintendo published, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and probably some surprises. Plus we have third party games like Sonic Forces.

We'll get more dates in a few months as Directs cover the next few months for release dates typically

You're being ridiculously obtuse here. You're ignoring facts and logic to push your narrative.

Zedark

If E3 doesn't deliver again, I will take part in calling out those who are still saying "wait for...". That doesn't that pre-emptively calling out people is justified. If we can establish that E3 is a natural moment to wait for, then we shouldn't be calling out people who are saying exactly that.

Top Bottom