• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct scheduled for June 3rd (Wii U concept news, 3PM PT/6PM ET Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britprog

11pm UK time!!! thank the Queen for the bank holiday weekend. Would never have been stay up for it as work early hours.

dwu8991

Banned
Wait, I'm confused. Why is this a big deal? They won't say much before their conference, I'd bet.

they might regurgitate some of last year's e3 stuff

this is only about the concept so new game reveals is out of the question

nintendo has in the past nintendo direct never came out with any thing mind blowing

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
5pm central for me if I'm reading that correctly.

29E6K.jpg

I bet Miyamoto is carrying pikmins in his bag. Notice he's not clutching the bag handle too hard! :p

Probably on a roller

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
"Waah why do Sony and Microsoft reveal stuff before conference."

"OMG Nintendo is so smart they must have so much to show!"
This is part of the E3 madness period. Hype will be sustained. It's different to revealing your big hitters weeks before the show.

they might regurgitate some of last year's e3 stuff

this is only about the concept so new game reveals is out of the question

nintendo has in the past nintendo direct never came out with any thing mind blowing

"Watch the latest Nintendo Direct this Sunday, June 3 at 3:00PM PDT, as Global President Satoru Iwata reveals new information about Wii U."

Doesn't mean it will necessary be mind blowing, but I think we'll learn some few interesting things about the console itself tomorrow.

mclem

More thoughts:

They're likely to go light on games on Sunday, saving those for the big E3 conference. I suspect they will have one game, though, to give people a frame of reference for how the features will be used. They've said that they wanted a 'Wii Sports' for the U; a game that demonstrates how the system adds new and interesting features to gaming. I would not be surprised if that game, whatever it is, is revealed in tomorrow's ND, and used as a means to explain the features to the viewer. The rest can wait until Tuesday.

Another thought as to why this is an incredibly smart move: Nintendo have expressed the views that hardware itself isn't important; compared to the full audience, that only matters to a small - but vocal - group. By having got people used to the whole Nintendo Direct philosophy over several months, they now have a mechanism by which the people who *do* care about such facts can actively seek it out, without bogging down the press conference with details that would bore a less dedicated gamer.

I am seriously very impressed by their strategy, here. Of course, they still need to deliver in the presentations themselves!

It would be awesome if they announced price and launch details that this and saved the games for E3. They said price wouldn't be at E3. They said nothing about pre-E3.

That would actually be... fucking brilliant. Get boring pricing & hardware spec info out of the way pre-E3 (especially if it's controversial information that would distract during the big show.), and allow first-party games to take focus during the conference.

Use the Wednesday Software Showcase to show third party titles, and you've got another year of Nintendomination.

Also - awesome that there'll be at least ONE conference I can watch live this year. Nintendo's other two keep getting mixed with graduation shit for me.

Woffls

Awww shiiiiit. Wasn't expecting this, now I've got to spend tomorrow preparing.

I'm guessing it will be a reintroduction to the hardware, which means they want to clear space for the actual conference, I assume. If they need this, a conference, and "Software Showcase", then I'm expecting a lot of news.

So fucking hype. Going to avoid caffeine tomorrow because I will literally never get to sleep. Literally.

More thoughts:

They're likely to go light on games on Sunday, saving those for the big E3 conference. I suspect they will have one game, though, to give people a frame of reference for how the features will be used. They've said that they wanted a 'Wii Sports' for the U; a game that demonstrates how the system adds new and interesting features to gaming. I would not be surprised if that game, whatever it is, is revealed in tomorrow's ND, and used as a means to explain the features to the viewer. The rest can wait until Tuesday.

Another thought as to why this is an incredibly smart move: Nintendo have expressed the views that hardware itself isn't important; compared to the full audience, that only matters to a small - but vocal - group. By having got people used to the whole Nintendo Direct philosophy over several months, they now have a mechanism by which the people who *do* care about such facts can actively seek it out, without bogging down the press conference with details that would bore a less dedicated gamer.

I am seriously very impressed by their strategy, here. Of course, they still need to deliver in the presentations themselves!

That would make sense. Have a sprawling development interview with more details on how they came up with the [new] Wii U. Not show the hardware but show off a killer app or two. That would leave E3 for the big reveal as well as leave the competition guessing but give us(gamers, the consumers) a few meat slices... hehe

So after the direct the nda will be lifted? I don't see any other reason for it 2 day before the conference.

Not sure about that, but it definitely opens up the possibility of Ubisoft and EA showing off Wii U games at their conferences on Monday. Nintendo still probably wants to save most of the other announcements for their conference though.

Kaizer

Banned
Good god, I'm UBER hyped for this - and I don't even consider myself the biggest Nintendo fan. I was already excited for E3 week, but look at Iwata here - living up to his namesake and dropping the bomb!
XldvK.gif

Weenerz

Banned
Was planning on playing hookie Tuesday for this, but if they want to spoil us, I will miss monday and see the other two conferences.

DSN2K

Nintendo are doing this solely because their press conference is last of the Big 3 and they don't want the WiiU to be overshadowed imo.

They will drop enough to keep people focused.

Nintendo are doing this solely because their press conference is last of the Big 3 and they don't want the WiiU to be overshadowed imo.

I guarantee you that there will be at least one cliffhanger like "but we'll talk about that more on Tuesday" just to keep interest throughout the next 2 days.

antonz

lol no. Nintendo remains stubborn as ever and will not do a show more than an hour. They have far too much to cover plus they gave the go ahead to ubisoft etc to show Wii U stuff on Monday. So they need to say something before 3rd parties start demoing the system

BY2K

Membero Americo

Ooooor, because they just have that much stuff to show and one hour isn't enough.

Foffy

Banned

They were last during E3 last year, and they were still the one talked about the most. Them showing last has nothing to do with this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ooooor, because they just have that much stuff to show and one hour isn't enough.

They could have scheduled a longer event if they needed to though, unless there is something big right after them? I know previously Nintendo and Sony scheduled around each other so people could get from one to the other, but that won't be an issue this year.

They were last during E3 last year, and they were still the one talked about the most. Them showing last has nothing to do with this.

Nintendo was also the only one to announce a console. That gives them an advantage there by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom