• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 5/17 4PM CEST, 7AM PST, focus on First Party Wii U Summer Titles

Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U is a fucking stupid title and the games looked like ass.

Pikmin looked like the shit.

W101 looked great.

I can't believe the first HD versions we saw of 'real 3D' Mario characters is fucking Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics.

Not doomed, keep this sort of thing coming.

Scum

Holy shit! Just got in from work. Nintendo & Sega in bed together, eh? Good. Maybe I can finally get Bayonetta: Climax Edition!

BooJoh

I bought a WiiU because of Bayo2. That's it, that's all. Otherwise I would have waited until Smash. Instead all I see is continue to see is proof that my thoughts about it being a Bayo and Smash box are just as valid as when I bought the Wii assuming it would be a Zelda and Smash box, only now I have less faith in Zelda.

So this is your unique perspective? You're not a Nintendo fan and bought a brand new Nintendo console for two games that don't even have release dates yet? And you're complaining that Nintendo Direct isn't for you?

Wow.

Drago

I really wish Yakuza 1&2 HD would come out in NA. Was pretty upset nothing happened with the PS3 version, as I want to get into the series and the collection was the best way to do that.

Agh. :(

JP's release schedule on the HP is looking healthier*:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/index.html

Bold is newly added to the list after last night

Italics is updated

2013 Software

Injustice: God Among Us (June 6)
Rabbids Land (June 6)
New Super Luigi U (June 18th) - eshop
F1 All Stars Powered Up Edition (June 27th)
New Super Luigi U (June 13) - retail
Pikmin 3 (July 13)
Sniper Elite (July 18)
Lego City Undercover (July 25)
Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U (August 8)
The Wonderful 101 (August 24)
Wii Party U (Summer)

Wii Fit U (Summer)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Autumn)
Sonic: Lost World (Autumn)
The Cave (2013)

Rayman Legends (2013)

Other Titles:

Yarn Yoshi (TBA)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (TBA)
3D Mario New Game (TBA)

The Legend of Zelda New Game (TBA)
Super Smash Bros. New Game (TBA)
Bayonetta 2 (TBA)
Mario Kart New Game (TBA)
Monolith Soft's New Game (TBA)

Yes, some of those were announced in January, but they weren't put up on the official software page for some reason.

Also, interesting that Olympics isn't listed there. When are the games being held?

*By healthier I mean more than 1 game release per month (or less).

zroid

Banned
I really wish Yakuza 1&2 HD would come out in NA. Was pretty upset nothing happened with the PS3 version, as I want to get into the series and the collection was the best way to do that.

Maybe it will. I could see Nintendo distributing it in the West, especially since the localization scripts are done.

So this is your unique perspective? You're not a Nintendo fan and bought a brand new Nintendo console for two games that don't even have release dates yet? And you're complaining that Nintendo Direct isn't for you?

Wow.

I am a fan of many of Nintys first party efforts. I think Retros great, the 3d Marios are top notch, and some of the older zeldas are fantastic. Smash as well, I think is fantastic. Just because I don't blindly worship at their altar doesn't mean I don't have the right as a WiiU owner to be pissed off at how shoddily they've handled the system.

KevinCow

Banned
I bought a WiiU because of Bayo2. That's it, that's all. Otherwise I would have waited until Smash. Instead all I see is continue to see is proof that my thoughts about it being a Bayo and Smash box are just as valid as when I bought the Wii assuming it would be a Zelda and Smash box, only now I have less faith in Zelda.

You bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2, yet you're not at all interested in Wonderful 101?

BooJoh

I am a fan of many of Nintys first party efforts. I think Retros great, the 3d Marios are top notch, and some of the older zeldas are fantastic. Smash as well, I think is fantastic. Just because I don't blindly worship at their altar doesn't mean I don't have the right as a WiiU owner to be pissed off at how shoddily they've handled the system.

One of these posts is not like the other.

Sorry if I'm playing my Wii U almost daily and enjoying games like MH3U, Nintendo Land (which has a surprising amount of content even for single player) and Lego City while your system collects dust. But that does not mean I'm a blind Nintendo fanboy.

Kickz

After first 5 min of Sega Exclusive megaton things went down hill fast in this ND...

Anyways here's to hoping Nintendo partnership breathes new life into all of Sega's franchises.

Uhh!!!

Hypefinal.png

Cool I made it in, usually don't get in on this kinda thing.=D

Madouu

Eh Iwata got me this time, I expected only one real "new" announcement at this particular direct and I was right about that. But I expected a "one more thing" at the end, not really a "Sega Direct" right from the start. Still cool though, I'm not much of a Sonic fan but I hope it's going to be a good game.

Wonderful 101 release date got me real sad, but then I won't have that much free time this summer alas. Seeing the box art got me back in shape again though, and I'm hyped up as ever for Kamiya's new game.

Pikmin 3, great looking stuff, exactly what I would expect from the game and how they use the gamepad, hopefully the coop will be just as good as I'm looking forward to playing it with my girlfriend if possible.

NSLU price was pretty good but we still need to have a closer look at how much content the DLC offers. I haven't finished NSMBU yet so I don't think I'm going to be picking it up at launch. A sure buy somewhere down the road though.

And that's it! The real Direct will be in a month's time. See you all around that time.

edit: Oh and the BestBuy thing seems pretty good too, a real real shame e3 demos won't be delivered through eShop though but not like I was expecting it.

AzaK

What a vague statement. People beg them for Pikmin 3 for years and now seeing new Pikmin 3 footage and getting a release date is not newsworthy.

I'm not going to pretend the Wii U doesn't lack games right now, but if you're an early adopter of a Nintendo console and getting release dates and new feature announcements and footage for first party Nintendo games is a huge letdown for you, then maybe you should have put more thought into whether you really wanted to buy a Nintendo console.

Just for curiosity's sake, what determines a "new product" vs. "endless rehashes"? Because as I see it, Nintendo has had plenty of new experiences in the past few years on 3DS (Pushmo/Dillon/Sticker Star/SM3DL/Kid Icarus/Mario&DK/FreakyForms) many of which are dismissed as "a 3ds eshop game I don't care about" regardless of their quality, and it's just a matter of time until they fully get there on Wii U. But I really can't grasp what people are asking for when they complain about rehashes. If Nintendo puts out new IPs, they often get ignored and people cry out "Where's Zelda/Metroid/Smash?"

They need to get the games out faster, but this all just echoes in my head as the same FUD that surrounded the 3DS launch, and where's the 3DS FUD now? Dead and buried while the 3DS reigns over the dedicated gaming handheld market.

Wii U isn't dead in the water and it has games in development. Just because a random Nintendo Direct announced one day before it aired didn't have E3-levels of announcements doesn't mean it's the end. Nintendo Direct was never promised to be The Official Nintendo Megaton Show. It's basically just a video press release. And a lot of us are much happier to see these smaller Directs than to just get a boring old wall of text. And with only a month until E3 they're not likely to show all their cards now and leave nothing for E3 anyway.

You chose to become an early adopter, learn to expect the post-launch drought.

The same old Nintendo games that we've known about for years mean next to nothing when looking at the abyss it is looking into. If they are holding off 101 for the E3 direct they must be desperate for stuff. If they had some big surprises and awesome titles they would have got 101 out of the way. It's not a system seller nor a megaton.

Post launch drought? Wii U is not suffering from a drought it's a desert. Nintendo decided to hold its titles back when they promised stuff for Q1. Nintendo have completely fucked everything up regarding Wii U. Everything. This limp direct even trotted out a shitty low frame rate crappy looking winter sports game. It shows how Nintendo just don't get it.

No one had high expectations and Nintendo hit even lower.

Hadn't expected any Sega announcements this time around, but that certainly made things better this ND. Time for some analysis

So, we know the following...

3DS:
May 24 - Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
June 9 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
August 11 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
October - Pokemon X & Y

Wii U:
June 20 - New Super Luigi U (DLC)
June 23 - Game & Wario
August 4 - Pikmin 3
August 25 - New Super Luigi U (Retail)
September 15 - The Wonderful 101

So, let's think about what else we know (and what 2013-2014 will have)

3DS:
Mario Golf: World Tour - Summer was planned, Sept/Oct?
The Legend of Zelda: LTTP II - This year in US, December
Mario Party 3D - Winter, expect Jan/Feb 2014
Yoshi's Island - No ETA, expect mid 2014 (May-ish) considering demo contents
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - Dec in EU, 2014 US means no later than March 2014
Sonic: Lost World - Date TBA, expect holiday season (Oct/Nov)
Smash Bros - Started Namco-Bandai work in 2012, certainly no earlier than late 2014

Wii U:
Wii Fit U - Was "Launch Window," now Oct/Nov as major casual title.
Wii Party U - Was Summer, now Nov/Dec as major casual title.
Yoshi Yarn - Date TBA, expect Q1-Q2 2014
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - Expected this year, late Sept/Oct likely
3D Mario - Expected this year, November likely
Mario Kart - Expected this year, December likely
X - Date TBA, expect mid-to-late 2014, 2013 Japan release possibly
SMT X FE - Date TBA, 2014 most likely
Sonic & Mario at the Sochi Olympic Games - Date TBA, Dec-Jan release near event
Sonic: Lost World - Date TBA, expect holiday season (Oct/Nov)
Smash Bros - Started Namco-Bandai work in 2012, certainly no earlier than late 2014

Considering that the above was not shown at this past ND, we might be getting quite a ND if they show all the above in one go, but I'm convinced we will be getting two E3 directs: one on Wii U and the other on 3DS. We might even get one the Sunday before E3 followed by another the week or two after like last year.

Either way, I somehow doubt we will be getting any surprise announcements this E3 other than Retro's Game, and that's kind of a known commodity.

BooJoh

The same old Nintendo games that we've known about for years mean next to nothing when looking at the abyss it is looking into. If they are holding off 101 for the E3 direct they must be desperate for stuff. If they had some big surprises and awesome titles they would have got 101 out of the way. It's not a system seller nor a megaton.

Nobody knows how big the E3 Direct will be or how many reveals it may or may not have. I'm sure it's not going to be a 10 minute video about W101 followed by Reggie raising a bottle of Jack to the screen and wishing us the best for the rest of the year.

Perhaps we should wait until E3 to judge that, rather than proclaiming the end of Wii U a month before E3.

Post launch drought? Wii U is not suffering from a drought it's a desert. Nintendo decided to hold its titles back when they promised stuff for Q1. Nintendo have completely fucked everything up regarding Wii U. Everything.

Yup. Nintendo Land sucks. Miiverse sucks. VC sucks. Off-TV Play sucks. Earthbound sucks. Monster Hunter sucks. SMT x FE sucks. Mario Kart sucks. Smash Bros sucks. NSMBU sucks. NSLU sucks. Pikmin 3 sucks. 3D Mario sucks. Wind Waker HD sucks. Yarn Yoshi sucks.

Everything about Wii U sucks.

This limp direct even trotted out a shitty low frame rate crappy looking winter sports game. It shows how Nintendo just don't get it.

No one had high expectations and Nintendo hit even lower.

The Mario & Sonic footage was probably just an anchor so they could show something of the three Sega games because they aren't ready to show the other two.

Toparaman

Banned
The Best Buy news should be getting way more attention. It's probably the best way to attract new Wii U buyers. Lord knows all the marketing has failed. But nope, most of NintenGAF is bitching about the demos not being on the eShop. Never mind that E3 demos have never been available for download.

Personally, I'm concerned about the controls of the latter.

I'm much more concerned about the control of 101. Messing with that touchscreen in the middle of an action game could get bad. I don't think Platinum would make such a game and shoehorn that in, but just thinking about it from another dev gives me nightmares. Bayo should be fine since it probably won't use the touch pad at all for any real gameplay. I don't think it will at least.

I'm much more concerned about the control of 101. Messing with that touchscreen in the middle of an action game could get bad. I don't think Platinum would make such a game and shoehorn that in, but just thinking about it from another dev gives me nightmares. Bayo should be fine since it probably won't use the touch pad at all for any real gameplay. I don't think it will at least.

That's what I meant. I'm concerned about 101. You can use the second analog stick for those motions supposedly, but if it was made for the touchscreen motions, there could be problems.

Persona86

Banned

3 and 4 have a previously style cutscenes you can watch before you play. Give it a shot. :)

Minions

The Best Buy news should be getting way more attention. It's probably the best way to attract new Wii U buyers. Lord knows all the marketing has failed. But nope, most of NintenGAF is bitching about the demos not being on the eShop. Never mind that E3 demos have never been available for download.

Well.... you know.... they gotta do something with all the Wii-u's that are not selling. They probably are not even sending them a demo unit.... they will just take one off the shelf that is not selling and use it as a demo unit.

Seriously though, It is never a bad idea to put demo units in stores with (GOOD) games on them. Though it may be hard to get the full Wii-u experience. I don't know how they will tether the game pad.... really long rope? Likely won't be able to show off screen play very well as well.

Seriously though, It is never a bad idea to put demo units in stores with (GOOD) games on them. Though it may be hard to get the full Wii-u experience. I don't know how they will tether the game pad.... really long rope? Likely won't be able to show off screen play very well as well.

They could just use one like they have in Gamestop.

Auskeek

Apart from being mildly racially offensive, that Kung Fu Grasshoping Dumpling Eating game in Game and Wario looks like a great use of the Wii U Gamepad.

Beelzebub

Gamestops are easier to monitor people since they are relatively small, just thinking someone might walk off with the tablet in a big Bestbuy.

I should take a picture of the wii u at my gamestop. the way they have it set up, it is nearly impossible to play...basically it's facing against a wall where you cant even stand in front of it..its like they discarded it in the corner.

Dmax3901

I have to say my Nintendo morale is at an all-time low. I mean sure E3 will more than likely change my mind but MAN. Everywhere I look I see reasons to regret my purchase.

zroid

Banned
I have to say my Nintendo morale is at an all-time low. I mean sure E3 will more than likely change my mind but MAN. Everywhere I look I see reasons to regret my purchase.

I have a list of upcoming first party Wii U games stuck to my bathroom mirror to remind me every morning that not all is lost.

not really, but the truth is not far from it :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've just watched this.
Reggie looked so depressed and sad.

Well, they had an opening directly above him at NOA and they decided to just have Iwata take it instead of Reggie. I imagine every meeting with NCL is them just yelling at Reggie for an hour. Not that I feel too badly for his (usually) overly smug ass.

I really hope the nintendo Direct nintendo releases for E3 has a bit more Energy.. wow are they dull and boring.

Show lots of footage please.. I want to see some solid Zelda and smash and mario footage..

They need to build hype with the E3 games.. if they fail to generate hype they're in trouble.

SmokeMaxX

Well.... you know.... they gotta do something with all the Wii-u's that are not selling. They probably are not even sending them a demo unit.... they will just take one off the shelf that is not selling and use it as a demo unit.

Eh. They already have WiiU Demo stations at a ton of Best Buys. Have you never been to one? They're just wired like every other demo station for every other console ever.

m.i.s.

Banned
I really hope the nintendo Direct nintendo releases for E3 has a bit more Energy.. wow are they dull and boring.

They need to build hype with the E3 games.. if they fail to generate hype they're in trouble.

I think it goes something like this.

2011 Pre-E3 press conference - Wii U info poorly received
2012 Pre-E3 press conference - Wii U info poorly received
2013 Pre-E3 press conference - cancelled!

Take that you spoilt children!! No E3 pressie for you!!!

:eek:p

Kafel

Banned

since the Wii U itself was poorly received, maybe they got something wrong

nikatapi

2011- Unveiling WiiU as a Wii peripheral with the console in the background looking like a Wii redesign

2012-"Nintendoland and 2D Mario bitches, we are hardcore once again"
2013- "Fuck new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, we must show MK and 3D Mario"

Yeah they really need to step up their game, it was their fault that WiiU was poorly received.

Fuck E3! These direcst delivers even more than those shitty e3 confrences..

m.i.s.

Banned
since the Wii U itself was poorly received, maybe they got something wrong

Well they changed the gamepad didn't they? What more do you [not you personally] want? Look, clickable sticks!!

[Btw, I preferred the smaller, slimmer gamepad with the sliders but that's just me]

Mario 3D, Mario kart Wii u this year and Iwata is saved.

I don't wish to be rude but some gamers are in for a rude awakening. Either that or my sarcasm meter is way out of kilter.

Top Bottom