• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 5/17 4PM CEST, 7AM PST, focus on First Party Wii U Summer Titles

The exclusive Sega deal is pretty intriguing. Perhaps Nintendo was impressed with Sumo Digital's Racing Transformed and will do a crossover?

Mario Kart U Transformed: guest starring Sonic and Sega All-Stars!

Gambit

The bring E3 to Best Buy thing is the most interesting to me. If you can get the same hands on at 100 Best Buy as those going to E3 that week it would be worth a road trip to try these games out

Between that and Directs, Nintendo is doing its best to cut out the games journalist as gatekeeper/middleman. I am genuinely curious to see if it works for them.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
New Sonic games?
NSLU is getting retail release?
Pikmin 3 footage and A W101 date?

This is what Directs are made for. Definitely made up for my crappy exam, can't wait to see more!

There are different kind of megatons, these are smaller megatons but still big enough to make a trend on twitter.

Edit: Just noticed I put the Mario and Sonic game as a big megaton, I meant to say "I guess it isn't a big megaton since we already knew about it, but nobody thought it would be shown today"

Sorry, my bad.

Smaller megatons? Truly dark days for Nintendo fans

More small good things. Makes me a bit sad yakuza will never get localized. Still up to e3 to provide that system seller. At the moment I would still rather spend 400 dollars on a 3ds and several games than a wiiu and nsmbu or zombieu or mh3u or some such thing.

Oh damn I just realized this will probably be my platform for watch dogs and ac4 if the ports are tolerable. My 360 is dead...

Kacho

Why do people have those "always on GCN", "only on XBOX", "only on PlayStation" shit in their avatars?

I missed it!

It's just for fun.

Similar to what people were doing with "Kazifying" their avatars back in February, people are putting the "Only on XBOX" for the upcoming event and "Only on Nintendo" for the Nintendo Direct that happened earlier today.

GAF went down on this ND? lol

Yeah, I couldn't believe myself.

Darryl

Banned
The exclusive Sega deal is pretty intriguing. Perhaps Nintendo was impressed with Sumo Digital's Racing Transformed and will do a crossover?

Mario Kart U Transformed: guest starring Sonic and Sega All-Stars!

no that'd make me so angry that i'd never buy the game. nintendo will never do it either as mario kart is the superior karting game. maybe sonic will be in it, though? i don't know how many cross-overs they'd want to do. either way, this was probably building for a long time now.

Why do people have those "only on GCN", "only on XBOX", "only on PlayStation" shit in their avatars?

I missed it!

the "only on" GCN was the hype train for this nintendo direct, the xbox one is for the may 21st event, and the playstation one is done to be culturally sensitive i suppose

Mr. RHC

I did not read through the whole thread, but it surprises me that anyone is really disappointed about this.

Spring/Summer for nearly completed games, E3 Direct for Fall games.

Next month's Direct will be the time when push comes to shove and when corporate Nintendo needs to prove itself.

CTLance

Just watched the NA stream after getting blindsided by the German video stream blacking out when RE was shown while Iwata blathered on. It's to protect the children, I know. Sigh.

Oh well, the Pikmin stuff was marginally interesting for me, AC:NL is tempting as always, same with the two Oracle games. Not sure about the rest, those Sonic games might swing both ways, really. All in all the stream didn't really do a whole lot for me. It was OK, i guess, but certainly not a bom-zal-droppenton stream.

Anyway. Has Iwata always rocked the o_O look or is this something new? Frankly, my eyes were watering up every time he came on screen in some form of empathic pollen-allergy/getting-poked-in-the-eye/scratchy-contact-lens reaction. Dammit.

Sakura

Pretty good Direct.
I was only expecting them to show off already announced games, but then they had that Sega stuff. I've never played Yakuza before so 1&2HD on the Wii U wouldn't be bad. Hopefully Lost Worlds is better than the previous 3D Sonic games. I think the last one I somewhat enjoyed was Sonic Adventure 2.

Kacho

Where is Wii U party? Canned? -_-

I'm sure we'll hear about it at E3. As others have mentioned - a relaunch is probably the plan for Fall/Winter.

They're most likely pushing it back for an upcoming marketing campaign and/or price drop for the Wii U.

big youth

Did anyone else catch the part about marketing during the Game and Wario segment? did Iwata imply this game would get a big marketing push or did I hear him wrong?

edit: I found the Pikmin 3 footage a bit disappointing. I was hoping the game would have expanded a bit more, but it looks like we're simply going to be collecting fruit rather than ship parts. Did Nintendo learn nothing from LKS?

GC|Simon

Wii U's European release schedule looks finally very good:
- New Super Luigi U in June
- Pikmin 3 in July
- The Wonderful 101 in August
- The Wind Waker, Mario Kart U and 3D Mario until Christmas (and maybe even more)

-> Who needs 3rd parties? :)

Having three games with Sonic exclusive for the system is also pretty good even if I couldn't care less... I'm not a big fan of Sonic...

AzaK

Oh my. I watched the UK one. What a complete joke. Even those low balling what would be shown were aiming too high.

At this point, based on Nintendos efforts, if the Wii U fails it will be very well deserved and I wouldn't shed a tear.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh my. I watched the UK one. What a complete joke. Even those low balling what would be shown were aiming too high.

At this point, based on Nintendos efforts, if the Wii U fails it will be very well deserved and I wouldn't shed a tear.

?? What were you expecting?

schuelma

Maybe some footage of 101 would have been nice as opposed to just a name and date. That was just a kick in the nuts for fans once more.

The whole Wii U debacle has reached farcical status now.

So because they didn't show new footage of a game releasing in 3 months the platform has reached farcical status? That doesnt even make sense

The look on Reggie face was depressing, it was the look of a man worried and unhappy. The kicking ass and taking names has been suppressed and defeated. He showed no excitement for things to come. They need to pull out all the Pikmin with a plan for global domination.

Im not sure but he looked very tired... Maybe he use crack?

But this is pretty much exactly what was expected: Release dates for the few games in the near future. Confirmation that all the things later than summer are being shown during the e3 nintendo direct. One actual bit of news (the sega stuff). there was never a chance that this was the day they were going to spill all their secrets.

Drago

Is there a single WiiU game coming out in July in NA?

Why the flying fuck is NoA not releasing Luigi U and Pikmin that month? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Ugh.

big youth

...you do realize this wasn't one of their E3 NDs right? It surpassed my expectations, especially because we can extrapolate that the 3rd Sonic game is a Mario/Sonic racing game.

I also noticed Reggie looked worn down. He's sorta creepy when not smiling.

Maybe some footage of 101 would have been nice as opposed to just a name and date. That was just a kick in the nuts for fans once more.

The whole Wii U debacle has reached farcical status now.

They confirmed the release date for the title, confirmed that they would be sharing more in the near future, and kept screen time for their new announcements, the two first-party games (and the DLC pack) releasing imminently and gave some time to RE, which is due out next week. They also made clear beforehand that this was about summer games, and that a look at anything beyond the next couple of months would come in June.

Not sure how it's farcical.

big youth

So what was announced. can't find any seperate topics, lol.

Sonic Lost World (co-developed by Nintendo)
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Sochi Games
another Sonic game (racing vs Mario, maybe a kart game?)
Yakuza 1 and 2 HD (JP only)

Also some other tidbits, like the 2 Zelda VC releases will be on sale initially for $1 off each, and Super Luigi will release in retail form for $30 (compared to the DLC version which is $20). Also some release dates. Which reminds me, no Wii Fit U?

There should at least have been dates for Wii Fit U and Wii U Party, not that I particularly care about either. Otherwise, this managed to exceed expectations slightly thanks to the Sega announcements.

schuelma

There should at least have been dates for Wii Fit U and Wii U Party, not that I particularly care about either. Otherwise, this managed to exceed expectations slightly thanks to the Sega announcements.

I'm guessing both are being pushed back to fall/holiday.

So what was announced. can't find any seperate topics, lol.

3 wiiu exclusive sonic games. Dates for the summer titles. standalone retail release for super luigi u. the digital version is not standalone, it's dlc only. During E3, demos will be set up in best buy stores to let you go hands-on with whatever the big e3 games turn out to be. Footage and tiny details about stuff like the oracle games releasing on vc.

i think there was also confirmation that the next nintendo direct features 3d mario, mario kart, and wii party or wii sports u or something like that.

Volotaire

So no more Sonic on other consoles or just these specific games?

-Sonic Lost World (Sonic 3D game) for Wii U Exclusive and 3DS
-Next 3 Sonic Games Exclusive for Nintenedo
-Mario Sonic Olymic games Wii U
-Resident Evil Revlations gameplay
-Pikmin 3 gameaply, loads of control options, 3 new charchters, release July Europe, Augast 4th America
-Yakuza 1+2 HD for Japan
-Reggies says during E3 America and Canada will have demos in best buy for games they announce
-Wonderful 101 releases September 15th USA, Augast 23rd Europe
-Super Luigi U downlodable and retail packages in Augast, 20 and 30$ respectivley
-Lots of new Game Gear games on 3ds Virtual Console
-Zelda Oracle games on 3DS will be 5.99 each, but will launch at 4.99 each (America $)
-They Showed off the custom level creation for Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move
-Showed off some of the new levels for DKC Returns 3D
-New Animal Crossing puzzle for Mii Plaza
-Showed off Game and Wario 39.99 MSRP uses the game pad in some interesting ways. One game in it has a platformer with the tv and gamepad having different camera angles and you have to use both to get though.

Top Bottom