• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

There is fun to be had with the system, but the Wii U is getting exactly what it deserves. People should hope that Nintendo has actually paid attention and learned all of the harsh-but-necessary lessons that this absolute disaster has taught them.
Agreed.
I love the damn thing, but they've completely dropped the ball. Of course I'd like it to be successful, but as of right now it doesn't deserve anything. They're going to have to earn success somehow.

Who knows maybe Mario Kart could be the U's "Wii Sports", and we'll be having a different convo come July
/wishfulthinking :/

Trago

Iwata in half an hour:

3v09ix.jpg

Hahaha!

Snakeyes

Well, the first thing that they can do it get rid of their shitty and snobby attitude that they have when it comes to third party developers and how they seemingly feel that they don't need them. The Wii U should be a big wakeup call to them that their own IP's are not enough to carry a console. And that the most hardcore Nintendo fans aren't enough to carry it along either. They need third party developers and they need gamers that are interested in more than Nintendo's established IP's.

I have a feeling they'll get rid of this attitude (if they haven't already) when it comes to indies and maybe Japanese third party developers. The former make the type of games Nintendo likes to see, while a significant part of the latter are facing similar hardships in the current market. For western studios though? I doubt it.

I understand the company's MO enough to say this; Nintendo hates the direction in which big publishers have taken the industry. They aren't interested in enabling the same people who gradually made development budgets in excess of 50 M the norm and were rumored to be strongly in favor of used game DRM until the Xbox One fiasco.

Granted, I don't think Nintendo will actively give western third parties the proverbial finger. They'll still make an effort to sell them on future hardware and possibly implement some of their feedback, but don't expect them to make extensive moves just to ensure the next Destiny-caliber project is released on a Nintendo console.

bart64

Banned
I think your comment should be directed at the guy I quoted, maybe, because I have expressed not one shred of surprise regarding Nintendo's current situation.

And to note, those aren't the only lessons they needed to learn, but I'm sure you know that already.
My comment was a reaction to your tone and use of words like disaster. The Wii U, to me, is a consumer focused device and I support any company that is willing to risk some financial gain to preserve a standard of quality. Short term financial gain ruins entire industries, and gaming is not immune.

that keeps the 3DS alive, I want some Wii U love

Well, you didn't specify that. :p

It's clear that ORAS' announcement is designed to try to alleviate any doubts about the somewhat high 3DS prediction, though. The Wii U prediction looks much more reasonable, so they might not feel the need to announce or hint at anything to try to placate investors.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah, this. He may not be a good businessman, but he's a developer and from the gaming side he's pretty good. I rather have him (or another game creator) rather than a businessman who only cares about profits over all.

I'd rather have someone who is willing to do what it takes to keep the company in business for a long time.

A dead company can't fund any titles.

While I do lend credence to the idea that Nintendo's marketing and management at the DS and Wii launch was ace, the trajectory of the Wii is still very different from even the DS. Compare percentage drop of year to year Wii sales with any other home console from Nintendo.

N64
FY1998 +62.4%
FY1999 -16.5%
FY2000 -56%
FY2001 -82.45%

GameCube
FY2003 +51%
FY2004 -12.85%
FY2005 -21.9%
FY2006 -40%
FY2007 -68.9%

Wii
FY2008 +218.6% (supply constrained)
FY2009 +39.4%
FY2010 -20%
FY2011 -26.5%
FY2012 -34.7%
FY2013 -69.7%

N64 drop-off was way steeper than Wii.

that keeps the 3DS alive, I want some Wii U love

a hint is all I expect give me Fatal Frame box art or the final name for X

maybe some HD remakes for WiiU

There's a presentation tonight? Is anyone live tweeting?

I'm interested in this, if anyone has the info.

I hope your expectations are in check. This is an investors presentation, not a place to look for video reels and megatons.

MrJoe

Banned
He refused to revise projections in the face of all sane evidence to the contrary, keeping them at a level that he not only knew the company could not meet, but would in fact miss by an enormous margin. He did this despite having multiple opportunities at which projections were expected to be routinely adjusted (ie, two quarterly earnings reports), and continued to maintain the fiction right up until he legally could not do so anymore.

From the stance of business ethics, it's extremely poor behavior to mislead investors to that degree. Especially given that, in hindsight, there was absolutely no reason he should have believed his projections were still attainable.

I believe this is called "drinking the kool-aid." maybe he drank enough of it to believe in the infallibility of their own projections, and explain anything contrary as a "statistical anomaly" or some such excuse. I can't believe that he would knowingly drive off a cliff at 200 mph. he was just wrong about wii-u.

nintendo at some point will have to bring in some new blood.

yeah that's what i said.

Why wouldn't PS4/XBone gamers buy Nintendo games then considering their some of the most critically acclaimed games in the industry ?. Neither Sony or MS have a top tier 3D platformer, party fighter or karting game either so Mario, Smash and Kart would fill in the PS4/XBone software gaps nicely.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A company and it's products that become shells of their former selves may as well die.

Cool story. The people who continue to enjoy that company's products and the people who can feed their families because of the jobs they have probably disagree.

I agree with you that a chunk of early PS4/XBone adopters wouldn't be interested in a lot of Nintendo's games but what about when PS4 hits $299 in late 2015 and the mass market arrives ?. I think games like Mario, Mario Kart, DKC, Smash, Zelda and Metroid would all do incredibly well on those platforms with a more diverse customer base. They could even make more of the Wii Sports / Party / Fit games using PS Move / Kinect to target the really casual consumers.

People often forget when this subject is brought up that all the usual Nintendo fans would be buying one of the other consoles if it was the only way to get console versions of Nintendo software. Nintendo games would sell WiiU like software numbers on PS4/XBone alone just from hardcore Nintendo fans buying them. Add in the more core PS4/XBone audience for Smash / Zelda / Metroid and the more casual audience buying Kart / 2D Mario / DKC and they would sell an incredible amount of software on Sony / MS consoles.

This whole "PS4/XBone owners don't want Nintendo games anyway because all they play is AAA shoot bang with sex and swearing !" goes back to the incredibly annoying snobbery some Nintendo fans have with regards to gamers who don't play on Nintendo consoles.

The argument is basically dealing with the very real idea of different demographics. There doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap between young western men, and many of Nintendo's games(Zelda, and Metroid are probably the only ones that could have a shot.) Sure it's possible that the PS4 could eventually become an appealing system to the mass market as a whole, but that's not guaranteed to happen. It could very well end up like it's predecessor, selling games exclusively to young western men.

I think the Smash Bros set up will be the future of Nintendo. Still two pieces of hardware but single games with slight differences between the two versions to encourage people to double dip. Only one version of each franchise instead of a different home and a handheld version will free up a lot of development staff to create far more content and hopefully avoid software droughts.
That's what I'm expecting myself. It would probably be a pretty good idea, but they might still need to have some games that are exclusive. Why buy a console over a handheld when one is cheaper, more convenient, and has the same great games as it's big brother product?

AniHawk

Why wouldn't PS4/XBone gamers buy Nintendo games then considering their some of the most critically acclaimed games in the industry ?. Neither Sony or MS have a top tier 3D platformer, party fighter or karting game either so Mario, Smash and Kart would fill in the PS4/XBone software gaps nicely.

sony or microsoft don't have a top tier 3d platformer, party fighter, or karting game because they don't see it financially beneficial or they have tried down this path and found the audience wasn't receptive.

KoopaTheCasual

N64
FY1998 +62.4%
FY1999 -16.5%
FY2000 -56%
FY2001 -82.45%

GameCube
FY2003 +51%
FY2004 -12.85%
FY2005 -21.9%
FY2006 -40%
FY2007 -68.9%

Wii
FY2008 +218.6% (supply constrained)
FY2009 +39.4%
FY2010 -20%
FY2011 -26.5%
FY2012 -34.7%
FY2013 -69.7%

N64 drop-off was way steeper than Wii.
Yea, I honestly don't have a deflecting response to that. Your call for me to analyze the Nintendo hardware charts closer, lead me to the tail end of the N64. I can only offer the explanation that the announcement and release of the PS2 really devastated all consoles at the time (see Sega), but that is a pretty vague argument and drifts away from the point.

But yes, your criticism stands.

Is there a live blog like the WSJ (?) one from the last investor presentation, where QOL was announced?

I already know about @gibbogame.

popeutlal

Why don't they officially abandon the wiiu and come out with a high powered console?
Surely pissing off less than 5 million people can't be the reason, they've pretty much let the die on arrival.
How will releasing better hardware equates to more games from Nintendo, which is entire issue of no one buying the Wii U.

sony or microsoft don't have a top tier 3d platformer, party fighter, or karting game because they don't see it financially beneficial or they have tried down this path and found the audience wasn't receptive.

Or most of their versions of 3D platformers, party fighters and karting games just weren't very good so most of the audience didn't buy them.

^ Actually, interesting point about N64. It could hardly be said to have been "devastated" outside Japan. Sony certainly swept any possibility of growth in Europe from under them, but in America/non-Japan territories, N64's decline from SNES was pretty small. But they lost about 12 million customers in Japan.

^ Actually, interesting point about N64. It could hardly be said to have been "devastated" outside Japan. Sony certainly swept any possibility of growth in Europe from under them, but in America/non-Japan territories, N64's decline from SNES was pretty small. But they lost about 12 million customers in Japan.

Thanks in large part to NOA

openrob

So as this investors meeting kicks off...Can I just throw my opinion out there and say...

Is nintendo just doing everything right so far.

• We got the great Mega64 advert for E3. They say there taking e3 seriously
  • Are having a smash bro competition.
  • They have a bundle for MK8 that comes with a FREE game.
  • They have Youtube upload for MK8. With a smartphone app in the works for it.
  • They revealed Hoenn remakes.

I mean if they continue like this...Could be interesting. Every step this quater has been spot on really.

DNAbro

So as this investors meeting kicks off...Can I just throw my opinion out there and say...

Is nintendo just doing everything right so far.

• We got the great Mega64 advert for E3. They say there taking e3 seriously
  • Are having a smash bro competition.
  • They have a bundle for MK8 that comes with a FREE game.
  • They have Youtube upload for MK8. With a smartphone app in the works for it.
  • They revealed Hoenn remakes.

I mean if they continue like this...Could be interesting. Every step this quater has been spot on really.

Appeasing fans and selling consoles are a bit different. There advertising to core fans has been spot on though.

KoopaTheCasual

Interesting. But thank you for engaging and challenging my views. I thought I had it 'figured out' but I guess I need to devote more time mulling it over/it's not nearly as clear cut as I thought.

AniHawk

Or most of their versions of 3D platformers, party fighters and karting games just weren't very good so most of the audience didn't buy them.

so we're left with only evidence to support the idea that the audience does not buy these games, as there's no evidence to support the idea that the audience would buy good games if they were available.

Top Bottom