• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

A shame about the dropped backward compatibility, seems to be the trend lately...

How much longer will regular DS Lite's still be around? Thinking of picking one up now that they might be phased out.

larvi

This appears to me to be the GBA Micro of the DS Lineup. It's sleeker design will cater to a certain segment (i.e. going after iphone types) but others will still prefer the functionality of the existing DS Lite. I could be wrong but I don't see them stopping sales of the existing models and replacing it with just this. I don't see myself getting one of these until the price drops the camera/web browser functionality aren't something I really care for on a gaming portable.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
shidoshi said:
As I pointed out on the first page of this thread, who gives a shit about GBA compatibility... the real issue here is the loss of a great expansion port for the DS, something that has allowed it to do a wide array of wonderful things (Guitar Hero, My Weight Loss Coach, the Taito knob controller, etc.)

For hardware that now has MORE potential to do cool things, the lack of any kind of read add-on support kind of neuters that potential.

They have a pedometer expansion for the DSi. So, perhaps you should chillax.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
{Mike} said:
Basically PSP still a better package?
Depends whether you want to play games or masturbate on your machine, really.
Stumpokapow said:
Branding and marginal cost savings.
You forgot space savings. DSi is thinner (couldn't hardly have been with the GBA slot) + addition of internal flash + SD card slot. Takes room, nuking the GBA slot to get the room to add that must have made sense.

Also, electronics for the bigger screen footprint.
C.T. said:
Well the DSi has a new normal brightness. Maybe its brighter than DSL's high brightness settings?
Nah, top brightness lasts noticeably less on DSi than on DSL, as per Nintendo's specs sheet.
Odrion said:
the DS2 will most likely be something like an iPhone and one screen only
Yeah right.

Except no, it'll have two screens and it'll be a clamshell.
larvi said:
This appears to me to be the GBA Micro of the DS Lineup.
Given there's added functions and features, it isn't. It's an evolution of the DSL.
larvi said:
others will still prefer the functionality of the existing DS Lite
What functionality exactly? The only losses are the inability to play GBC games, and the inability to use GBC slot expansions used by about 5 games in the whole lineup.

DSi is literally the new Game Boy Color.

The GBC also had games only playable on it, but was not the actually successor. Pokemon Crystal, DKC, are two examples.

Might as well just but the DSi for what it newly offers, not as a replacement of the Lite!

So now I can buy a Lite without worrying about replacing it entirely.

GaussTek

Ok, it has a built-in Browser.

Does that could mean this version has more RAM? (I mean the Nintendo DS Browser needed that expansion pack thing)

sprsk

Hero of legend said:

The GBC also had games only playable on it, but was not the actually successor. Pokemon Crystal, DKC, are two examples.

Might as well just but the DSi for what it newly offers, not as a replacement of the Lite!

Keep telling yourself that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sorry if it was answered a thousand times already in a thread with more than 400 replies, but:

DSi will have a SD card slot and they've announced DS Ware. Were there any talks of releasing an "official flash card" of sorts or will the DS Phat and Lite users be excluded from DS Ware?

I know nobody knows this yet, but here is an important question: Will this finally support WPA encryption, it damn well better.

sprsk

Alaluef said:
Sorry if it was answered a thousand times already in a thread with more than 400 replies, but:

DSi will have a SD card slot and they've announced DS Ware. Were there any talks of releasing an "official flash card" of sorts or will the DS Phat and Lite users be excluded from DS Ware?

No.

The DSi IS NOT JUST A NEW VERSION OF THE DSL

THERE.

ARE.

HARDWARE.

DIFFERENCES.

mollipen

sp0rsk said:
They have a pedometer expansion for the DSi. So, perhaps you should chillax.

Great... so that, you know, instantly means everything I listed will be there as well? Until I see a port on this machine where things like new control options can be added to it, it's a stupid idea.

GaussTek said:
Ok, it has a built-in Browser.

Does that could mean this version has more RAM? (I mean the Nintendo DS Browser needed that expansion pack thing)

I think so, i doubt any games would make use of it though, apart from maybe the camera software.

Bizzyb

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Where do you read that they have been Upgraded?

Well I would think that with this new model they would upgrade it to play a new types of games that will specifically support the new hardware, i.e. camera, sd card, onboard memory, etc.

larvi

Masklinn said:
What functionality exactly? The only losses are the inability to play GBC games, and the inability to use GBC slot expansions used by about 5 games in the whole lineup.

I'm guessing you mean GBA games, you are getting confused with the Micro which dumped GBC functionality, and that's a pretty big hit for some of us and seeing how stores are still selling new GBA games and you can no longer buy GBA SPs I can't see Nintendo dumping this ability completely. Also you lose the GBA-DS connectivity in a lot of the DS games, pokemon being a big example but there are many others.

And the features being added to me seem to be non-game related enhancements so I still stand by my micro analogy. As a gamer the only thing of interest to me in this model is the smaller size to make it more portable, but the existing DSL is already pretty good in this regard, so I'm not willing to pay a premium for a slight size reduction.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Revelations said:
Awww, no phone function? Come on Nintendo, Do it!!
That would be stupid, Nintendo would force you to remember some arbitrary twelve ten digit number you would have to input to call your friends.

sprsk

shidoshi said:
Great... so that, you know, instantly means everything I listed will be there as well? Until I see a port on this machine where things like new control options can be added to it, it's a stupid idea.

"Lack of any kind of add-on support"

I was just correcting this false statement.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
sp0rsk said:
No.

THERE.

ARE.

HARDWARE.

DIFFERENCES.
THANKS.

From the OP I couldn't tell if DS Ware was going to exclude all of the current users that won't upgrade.

Mardak

I've looked around on the nintendo site and the conference slides, and I can't seem to figure out where the 3 megapixel comes from. I only see mentions of 300,000 pixels. I know sites like engadget are reporting 3MP and wikipedia has been updated to say two cameras: 3mp, .3mp.

Just FYI, the screen resolution is the same across all DSes: 256 × 192px

256x192 is 49,152 pixels or .05MP
.3MP is 640x480 -- 6.25 times the resolution of the DS screen

Also, the Wii outputs up to 480p, which is 640x480.

Ramenman

Unless there are some camera specific games (interesting ones) I'll wait for my Lite to be completely split before I buy that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sp0rsk said:
No.

THERE.

ARE.

HARDWARE.

DIFFERENCES.
Is that why most of the launch games are normal DS games?

I don't think Hero of legend is so off here, I think it'll be more like GBC. If there were 2 touch screens things would be different but since that was confirmed wrong I don't think there's that much different for most retail games to take advantage of here.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Slurpy said:
I can't fucking believe the DS camera is 0.3 megapixels. And I thought my 2MP iPhone camera was pathetic. I My first webcam I ever bought was 0.3MP- 10 years ago, when the damn things first came out. Did Nintendo not want to pay for a 1MP sensor- which perhaps would have costed another 25 cents? These decisions blow my mind.

And spring 2009 for the wii update? Really? I mean, they really need that much time to implement that 'feature'? Did they just start working on it?Thats embarrassing.

There just seems to be a massive disconnect between the ridiculous amounts of money Nintendo is making, and their current R&D efforts, product support, and release schedules.

sprsk

jj984jj said:
Is that why most of the launch games are normal DS games?

I don't think Hero of legend is so off here, I think it'll be more like GBC. If there were 2 touch screens things would be different but since that was confirmed fake I don't think there's that much different for most retail games to take advantage of here.

There are games that use things like the camera and what not though. It may be like the GB Color, but there will be games you won't be playing on your DSlite. This doesn't even count the DSware stuff.

And you know, eventually they won't be selling the DS lite anymore.

P.S. Why do they need high resolution cameras on the DS? The DS is not supposed to be your new digital camera. You're not going to be shooting your family photo album with the DS. You get a real camera for that.

shidoshi said:

Well, it does show that things can be added to the device. You have to know that the GBA port wasn't being used very often for those things to begin with. I appreciate that you used it, but for the vast majority of the audience that it's aimed at, it wasn't used at all. I'm pretty sure Nintendo thought about these things before killing it off, and thought that the benefits outweighed the deficiencies it might create.

Besides, the DS Lite isn't being replaced and is still an option.

Deku

Banned
For the techies, what were upgraded on he hardware side?

considering how terribly the DS browser worked on Lite/Phat, I'm not surprised DSi has been upgraded or else there would be no point including a browser at all.

But I'm not clear what exactly they added.

mollipen

sp0rsk said:
"Lack of any kind of add-on support"

Fixing my spelling gaff, I said "lack of any kind of real add-on support," and I stand by that statement. My guess is that, at this point, the pedometer will connect either through the SD slot or via WiFi, and I'd consider neither of those a real solution.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, it does show that things can be added to the device. You have to know that the GBA port wasn't being used very often for those things to begin with. I appreciate that you used it, but for the vast majority of the audience that it's aimed at, it wasn't used at all. I'm pretty sure Nintendo thought about these things before killing it off, and thought that the benefits outweighed the deficiencies it might create.

My point is, though, that while they didn't have to keep the GBA slot, I think they should have kept something. A lower-profile expansion slot on the bottom would have been fine. Something where a sturdy add-on could have attached, and not just for the things that I listed, but for the things still yet to come.

I'll never support the backward movement in presenting options for a piece of hardware / software, simple as that.

Punchy

Banned
Either you guys haven't made the connection, or you just don't care as much as I do, but the only reason I'm interested in this is that, including the DS Ware, a portable Virtual Console is practically promised.

Playing GB, GBC and potentially GameGear, WonderSwan, NGage, Game.Com, Japanese Cell Phone and whatever other portable systems on the DSi would be awesome. Even if they don't offer GBA games on the system, you can just buy a fucking GBA or DSL!

I'm just hyped that I probably won't have to go searching around for Metroid 2, or that we might actually get the Mother 1+2 Compilation, or that I can finally toss out those crappy GB cardboard boxes taking up shelf space.

Tobor

A new Nintendogs with camera support and this thing sells millions all over again.

I'll be buying one for the DSware alone, that in and of itself is the upgrade I wanted. The rest is gravy.

And believe me, Activision doesn't give a shit. They'll design a new peripheral and sell millions again. What, Activision hates money now?

mollipen

Oh, and also, on this DS Ware thing, if we're just getting games then Nintendo loses. I want a full-blown "app store" like on the iPhone. No way Nintendo would be as open as Apple is (who isn't terribly open in their own right), but I want to see companies - Nintendo, whomever - release stuff of the non-game variety. Address book, calculator, e-mail app, whatever. Push the DSi to hell, really beef up the non-gaming stuff. Nintendo could absolutely make a killing with this thing in the non-games market if they really put out the effort.

Deku

Banned
This is probably the DSlite mod they should have come out with 2 years ago.

That said, Camera still needs justification for existing IMHO. It's nice to have it but I don't see the point of it.

Then again, this camera feature seems to cater to a very specific mobile culture in Eurasia and Japan, not so much North America.

Spruchy

Hero of legend said:

Really hit the nail on the head with the game boy color comparison, did not think of that. Good stuff.

Deku

Banned
shidoshi said:
Oh, and also, on this DS Ware thing, if we're just getting games then Nintendo loses. I want a full-blown "app store" like on the iPhone. No way Nintendo would be as open as Apple is (who isn't terribly open in their own right), but I want to see companies - Nintendo, whomever - release stuff of the non-game variety. Address book, calculator, e-mail app, whatever. Push the DSi to hell, really beef up the non-gaming stuff. Nintendo could absolutely make a killing with this thing in the non-games market if they really put out the effort.

I'm not sure apps is the point of DS ware, not that 3rd parties won't make then. The free >> 800 points range of software almost guarantees some apps will come out.

But the gaming possibility is what's most intriguing to me.

Again, they need to 'sell' DSi more now that its unveiled. Much of the negativity in here over shortened batterylife and lack of GBA support are not unwarranted. Batterylife especially.

That's what killed their competititors.

larvi

Punchy said:
Even if they don't offer GBA games on the system, you can just buy a fucking GBA or DSL!

Please show me where I can buy a new GBA SP w/backlite for a reasonable price. They are going for as much as this new DSi on amazon right now. If nintendo stop manufacturing new DSL's they will skyrocket in price too.

shidoshi said:
My point is, though, that while they didn't have to keep the GBA slot, I think they should have kept something. A lower-profile expansion slot on the bottom would have been fine. Something where a sturdy add-on could have attached, and not just for the things that I listed, but for the things still yet to come.

I'll never support the backward movement in presenting options for a piece of hardware / software, simple as that.

Like I said, I appreciate that YOU want an expansion port, but the vast majority of DS users couldn't care less about the feature, and would never miss it. For Nintendo, it's all about streamlining the system and cutting costs.

camineet

Banned
Wait so DSi is THE THIRD PILLAR now?

Remember before DS came out, there was all this talk of it being the third pillar, being seperate from the Game Boy line and Nintendo consoles. But then DS came along and replaced the Game Boy line, there was no GBA successor with the GB brand, there was just the DS and console.

What is the point of DSi as far as a new platform, new software that won't play on DS?
I thought it was going to be two touchscreens but that info was wrong.

I understand DSi being a new model of DS, a refresh, but what's the main point beyond that?

edit: what's the deal with the chipset and RAM, has it been upgraded over DS & DS Lite,
or not ?

Punchy

Banned
larvi said:
Please show me where I can buy a new GBA SP w/backlite for a reasonable price. They are going for as much as this new DSi on amazon right now. If nintendo stop manufacturing new DSL's they will skyrocket in price too.

1.) If that's true, shit, I should sell my NES-flavored GBA SP.

2.) If you care that much, buy a DSL now and be future-proofed. And potentially, GBA games will be on a Virtual Console for the DSi. Either way, if you want to play GBA games, you can. You may just have to work a little harder to get it. Times change, deal with it.

This is like being pissed that may Game Boy Player doesn't work on the Wii. Would I have preferred to have that? Yes. But I couldn't, so I just bought a GBA. I dealt with it, and I grew up.

how many people complaining that you now cant use gba-slot expansions and craving more gba-slot expansions are the same people that complain about the wii having too many different control expansions?

mollipen

Deku said:
I'm not sure apps is the point of DS ware, not that 3rd parties won't make then. The free >> 800 points range of software almost guarantees some apps will come out.

And I think that's one perfect way to sell the system, as you mentioned Nintendo needs to do. Especially in Japan, where younger people are likely to have a DS and a mobile phone but possibly no access to a computer. Giving them a DS that can do basic computer functions quickly and easily would, I think, be huge.

JodyAnthony said:
how many people complaining that you now cant use gba-slot expansions and craving more gba-slot expansions are the same people that complain about the wii having too many different control expansions?

Not me, but that's partially because I don't much give a shit about the Wii.

JodyAnthony said:

GBA slot potential is waaaay overblown.

mollipen

monchi-kun said:
GBA slot potential is waaaay overblown.

arkanoid_ds_paddles.jpg

Top Bottom