• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

Rufus

TheOneGuy said:
Prove it. Reliable source.
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Nint...-mit-zwei-Kameras-vor-Update--/meldung/116833
It's a German tech site, but you can still see that it says "640x480" and "3 Megapixels" (first update), so, the inner one is VGA (0.3) and the outer one 3 megapixels.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10056529-1.html
CNet reports "a 3-megapixel camera on the exterior of the case, with another lower-resolution camera on the interior hinge."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170305
1UP just reports "a 3 megapixel camera with picture editing functions using the touch screen."

It's somewhat of a mess, but I think it's safe to assume that the outer one is 3 megapixels and the inner one VGA, which would put the latter in Webcam territory.

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
No, I lack 'giving a shit'. I trusted Nintendo with the Wii and that's all gone so very terribly well, hasn't it? I'll believe again if or when they prove it.

Y'know, I tend to agree... Wow.

Pureauthor said:
*flipside*

Oh, what's that? A 80 million install base without the camera?

The company with the biggest chance of devving Camera-specific games is Nintendo, the 1st party. Guess which dev also sunk the most effort into the Eyetoy?

you underestimate Nintendo's ability to sell "gimmicks"

monchi-kun said:
you underestimate Nintendo's ability to sell "gimmicks"

No, I don't. I fully expect the DSi to become a runaway success. The discussion I was involved in, however, was about software for the camera that someone like me would be interested in playing.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081002/nintendo.htm

WPA/WPA2 support for Wifi

Rufus said:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Nint...-mit-zwei-Kameras-vor-Update--/meldung/116833
It's a German tech site, but you can still see that it says "640x480" and "3 Megapixels" (first update), so, the inner one is VGA (0.3) and the outer one 3 megapixels.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10056529-1.html
CNet reports "a 3-megapixel camera on the exterior of the case, with another lower-resolution camera on the interior hinge."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170305
1UP just reports "a 3 megapixel camera with picture editing functions using the touch screen."

It's somewhat of a mess, but I think it's safe to assume that the outer one is 3 megapixels and the inner one VGA, which would put the latter in Webcam territory.

The official website and all Japanese game sites just mentioned 0.3M camera. There is absolutely NO evidence showing that there is any technical difference between the inner and outer cameras.

Aurora

If you already own a DS Lite this is not worth investing in at all.

But obviously millions and millions of people will buy it anyway. Yay for Nintendo.

Haunted

I already have a camera :(
I already have a music player :(

This is like Nintendo announcing a new Wii revision with DVD player support and removing the SD card slot.

Well, maybe not quite as bad. :p I don't want to come across as too harsh, but aside from the larger screens, I'm absolutely not convinced yet. Maybe DSWare will turn me around or something.

Pureauthor said:
No, I don't. I fully expect the DSi to become a runaway success. The discussion I was involved in, however, was about software for the camera that someone like me would be interested in playing.

How about Fatal Frame DS? use the camera and scan the real world for spirits hiding in your....

refrigerator
tool shed
toilet
shower
up someone's skirt
etc.

would YOU play Fatal Frame DS - upskirt adventures!!!!

x3sphere

Aurora said:

But obviously millions and millions of people will buy it anyway. Yay for Nintendo.

I disagree. This isn't a hardware refresh, there will be DSi exclusive games later on.

*Shrugs*

Seems to me that the Camera and Music Player specifically have Japan (and the PSPs marketshare) in mind. If I were Sony i'd be shaking in my boots right now.

I'm not interested so far (though I do need a new DS and barely play my GBA games anymore) so i'll probably end up picking one up anyway. Plus I love Miis.

Morts

I really wish this could play the VC games I already bought. Probably buy anyway, since I doubt it'll be out in the US for a while and I've had my DS phat for a fairly long time.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Eh, I have a DS lite already. This isn't going to sell me unless DSWare pulls off something insane.

DeaconKnowledge said:
*Shrugs*

Seems to me that the Camera and Music Player specifically have Japan (and the PSPs marketshare) in mind. If I were Sony i'd be shaking in my boots right now.

I'm not interested so far (though I do need a new DS and barely play my GBA games anymore) so i'll probably end up picking one up anyway. Plus I love Miis.

The psp has had mp3 playback for ages and also if not mistaken has a camera add on in japan.
I think you are over reacting by a rather significant margin.
This really could have been a huge thing, with a decent camera especially and perhaps even a gps type app.
The touch screen makes it a natural for pda type apps and it could easily be pushed into the all in one device market but they seem to have played it safe a bit.
Will be interesting to see if the CFW crew has an easier time with the dsi.

Rufus

AnimeTheme said:
The official website [..] just mentioned 0.3M camera.
Where? I guess I'm blind because I can't find it, unless they use kana or kanji to represent that data point.

3D Picross looks really interesting btw.

Hmm, looking at those press photos taken of the DSi...the L/R buttons look noticeably worse; half the size and without the lip onto the bottom corners of the case like on the Lite. Weird.

Also, it looks like it has a new formfactor for the power plug?

The DSi's enhancements have zero gameplay possibilities that I would find interesting. However, I think it'll be worth the upgrade as long as the screens are clearer and if the music playback means a higher quality headphone out.

Hive

Banned
monchi-kun said:
so?

leik omg i can twist a knob to play arkanoid...can i use this for any other game?

this is the problem with a peripheral approach is that they tend to be proprietary. i'd love to design a game that can use the guitar hero peripheral on DS in applications beyond music games...will activision share their libraries with the development community to take advantage of the installed base?

fuck no

what about the tilt sensor for tony hawk DS

yeah, i bet i'd get a "fuck off" notice from activision as well

same goes for most periphs unless Nintendo creates general ones and the only one they have out there is the rumble pak

so please, keep arguing the loss of the GBA slot and for peripherals and their untapped and overestimated potential :D

You can use the Taito paddle for 3 games, as of SOON! ^o^

Space Puzzle Bobble
Arkanoid DS
Space Invaders Extreme

The other day I just imported Arkanoid DS w/paddle! hehe

Does the DSi have built-in rumble?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish it had the embossed dual screen logo on the front like the DSL.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm, bit disappointed about the lack of GBA slot as I wanted to try Guitar Hero. Game-wise it doesn't bother me as I have a Micro.

Need a DS, so I'll import one from Japan. :D

sammy

I'm disappointed in the lack of backwards compatibility, but I have plenty of GBA devices. it's probably an effort to faze GBA out of handhelds, so they can be introduced GBA on VC or DSware

there's a lot of potential for DSware stuffs, but i'll have to see the new screen for myself to decide if it's all worth it ... (who am i fucking kidding, i'll be buying the damn thing at some point)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Bigger screens, same resolution, same DPI. Now it'll look even shittier. I'm willing to bet that the DPI of the DSi is actually remarkably close to the DPI of the original GameBoy, now.

Also, no dramatic hardware updates: same ARM9 67MHz processor, same RAM... In other words, the browser won't support Flash, Java, sound, and will have limited HTML support.

Cameras? Dumb. Since DS games will play in both older DS's and the DSi, there won't be any retail games that take advantage of the cameras past optional gimmicks (like we'd want that, anyway). Probably only a few DS Ware games.

The original DS was a prime example of how Nintendo took technology that is now over a decade old and sold it to us as something new. And, shit, they made billions from it. Why wouldn't they go a step further and announce LITERALLY the EXACT same system as something new in order to make more money?

This is absolutely the worst possible thing Nintendo could do for DS gamers, and the best possible thing they could do financially. And the worst part is, since Nintendo is announcing this as a "third platform," they obviously want to keep it around a while. Looks like we won't get the real DS2 until Christmas 2010. Thanks, Nintendo.

And for anyone who thinks I'm trolling or straight-up bashing Nintendo, consider this: The DS is my absolutely favorite hand-held. I own close to 50 games for that little bitch. I love that thing to death, and that is why I weep.

So far I see no reason to buy this. I doubt much good will come from DSWare, judging by WiiWare. (and my biggest fear, horse-armor DLC)
d-pad and shoulder buttons seems to be the same as the Lite, which was my reason to never buy one (I tried my brother's once and I suddenly sucked at gaming).
It's probably gonna be more expensive too.

GBA slot doesn't bother me, the DS is a TERRIBLE GBA player due to dumb button mapping (GBA's A/B o DS' A/B instead of B/Y). And I never used any of those games that need peripherals.

Doesn't seem like a good move to release this revision with new 'base-splitting' features when it's still selling so well. Nintendo knows better, I guess (or it may be the new Micro :lol)

yankee666

Gold Member
Im the only one who thinks that the outside look of the Dsi looks plain and simple?, i mean no logo, no name, nothing just the eye of a camera. On the inside is just the same as de Ds so no complian there, But c'mon nintendo you could have done it better.

Chemo

Hey, fuck -- one of the screens of the DSi in person shows not only the D-pad and face buttons more recessed, but the buttons reflecting light. Could this be the return of the fuck-awesome glossy D-pad/buttons that the Game Boy Micro had?!

Day one now. That's all it took.

takotchi

Allan Holdsworth said:
GBA slot doesn't bother me, the DS is a TERRIBLE GBA player due to dumb button mapping (GBA's A/B o DS' A/B instead of B/Y). And I never used any of those games that need peripherals.

Huh? The GBA b/a and DS b/a are in the same position, as they should be. I've always gone from playing a game on the GBA to DS and back with no problem. If the buttons were different it would be confusing and sucky.

Anyway, watch NOA botch the launch of this in the US by having it come out way after Japan (like the Lite) and only in one ugly color (also like the Lite).

ShowDog

Dacvak said:
. Looks like we won't get the real DS2 until Christmas 2010. Thanks, Nintendo.

And for anyone who thinks I'm trolling or straight-up bashing Nintendo, consider this: The DS is my absolutely favorite hand-held. I own close to 50 games for that little bitch. I love that thing to death, and that is why I weep.

I'm pretty happy I won't have to buy a new handheld and can just forget this thing ever existed. None of the new features interest me and it's ugly.

Jaruru

Aurora said:

not worth investing AT ALL?
DSwares = awesome

regardless you don't like the camera basic stuffs, but I'm sure there will be applications/games make use of the cameras.
I'm on the boat.

The Hermit

jon bones said:
Eh, I have a DS lite already. This isn't going to sell me unless DSWare pulls off something insane.

Like Metroid Dread?

This alone would make me buy the DSi... anyway, not so interested so far.

Jaruru

yankee666 said:
Im the only one who thinks that the outside look of the Dsi looks plain and simple?, i mean no logo, no name, nothing just the eye of a camera. On the inside is just the same as de Ds so no complian there, But c'mon nintendo you could have done it better.

I think one of the reason is Nintendo jp wants to keep the DSlite image.
the whole product image is so successful and phenomenal. so they want to carry on by not changing the DS outlook by a lot.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Rancid Mildew said:
The DSi's enhancements have zero gameplay possibilities that I would find interesting. However, I think it'll be worth the upgrade as long as the screens are clearer and if the music playback means a higher quality headphone out.

This. All I care about are the bigger screens and better sound. That's it. Wait, do the bigger screens mean lower IQ??

Blabala

It's a shame the following idea looks like almost impossible:

Imagine that when playing games and being in some kind of special situation such as:

- playing Resident Evil something frightening happens
- you beat final fantasy or kingdom hearts boss
- you are about to die in tetris
- you win a Mario Kart wifi race in the last second
- etc. etc. etc.

the camera takes a photo of your face, and then it sends it via wifi to a special site, where you can see faces of people in the same situations, vote for the funniest, the scariest, etc.

that would be even better than achievements!!!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Blabala said:
It's a shame the following idea looks like almost impossible:

Imagine that when playing games and being in some kind of special situation such as:

- playing Resident Evil something frightening happens
- you beat final fantasy or kingdom hearts boss
- you are about to die in tetris
- you win a Mario Kart wifi race in the last second
- etc. etc. etc.

the camera takes a photo of your face, and then it sends it via wifi to a special site, where you can see faces of people in the same situations, vote for the funniest, the scariest, etc.

that would be even better than achievements!!!
That's actually a cute idea.
Doesn't Burnout do this?

Dacvak said:
Bigger screens, same resolution, same DPI. Now it'll look even shittier. I'm willing to bet that the DPI of the DSi is actually remarkably close to the DPI of the original GameBoy, now.
GB was 160x144 at 2.6 inches diagonal, which I believe works out to about 3400 DPI.
DSi is 256x192 at 3.25 inches diagonal, which I believe works out to about 4800 DPI.
takotchi said:
Huh? The GBA b/a and DS b/a are in the same position, as they should be.
They are. However, games like Super Mario World on SNES basically made it so the Y/B combination in the diamond acted like the B/A of NES/GB controls, so not using the lower left pair by default seems weird.

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
GB was 160x144 at 2.6 inches diagonal, which I believe works out to about 3400 DPI.
DSi is 256x192 at 3.25 inches diagonal, which I believe works out to about 4800 DPI.
160x144 @ 2.6" = 83 PPI
256x192 @ 3.25" = 98 PPI

Most computer screens are around 100 PPI.

dacuk

Caesar III said:
The next question is if they have all those languages in the firmware like with the original ds. I don't want to have a moonspeak interface.

Yeah, make it english only so people speaking other languages (like Japan) cannot use it....

Way smart idea
on 1950

65536 said:
160x144 @ 2.6" = 83 PPI
256x192 @ 3.25" = 98 PPI
Ahh. I guess I'm not familiar enough with DPI/PPI figures; I got those numbers along the way, but continued on to find the number of pixels per square inch.

mollipen

Dacvak said:
This is absolutely the worst possible thing Nintendo could do for DS gamers, and the best possible thing they could do financially. And the worst part is, since Nintendo is announcing this as a "third platform," they obviously want to keep it around a while. Looks like we won't get the real DS2 until Christmas 2010. Thanks, Nintendo.

Uhm... as a DS gamer myself, I DON'T WANT a new DS beyond something like a feature-revision like this. Why in the hell would I? The DS is still rocking, it still has plenty of life left in it, why would I want them to announce new hardware that would end up killing off the current DS? I see absolutely no reason to be in a rush to new hardware; let the DS keep doing it's thing for as long as possible, make it a true "platform" like DVD or whatever where you know it'll be around for a while and provide you with many more years of entertainment.

daCuk said:
Yeah, make it english only so people speaking other languages (like Japan) cannot use it....

Way smart idea
on 1950

Uhm, wow. So, do you even realize that the person you quotes was arguing FOR the idea of the DSi having a variety of menu languages like the DS had?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rancid Mildew said:
The DSi's enhancements have zero gameplay possibilities that I would find interesting.

yeah i know digitally downloaded games do not enable any new gameplay possibilities.

shidoshi said:
Uhm, wow. So, do you even realize that the person you quotes was arguing FOR the idea of the DSi having a variety of menu languages like the DS had?

he read monospeak as moonspeak.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stumpokapow said:
yeah i know digitally downloaded games do not enable any new gameplay possibilities.

Digital Download is a gimmick. Sega already tried it back in the 90s and look where they are now.

Top Bottom