• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

shidoshi said:
arkanoid_ds_paddles.jpg

so?

leik omg i can twist a knob to play arkanoid...can i use this for any other game?

this is the problem with a peripheral approach is that they tend to be proprietary. i'd love to design a game that can use the guitar hero peripheral on DS in applications beyond music games...will activision share their libraries with the development community to take advantage of the installed base?

fuck no

what about the tilt sensor for tony hawk DS

yeah, i bet i'd get a "fuck off" notice from activision as well

same goes for most periphs unless Nintendo creates general ones and the only one they have out there is the rumble pak

so please, keep arguing the loss of the GBA slot and for peripherals and their untapped and overestimated potential :D

sp0rsk said:
No.

The DSi IS NOT JUST A NEW VERSION OF THE DSL

THERE.

ARE.

HARDWARE.

DIFFERENCES.
Unless a downloadable game requires the camera, do we know of something a "DSWare cart" for the old models wouldn't do?
Bizzyb said:
Well I would think that with this new model they would upgrade it to play a new types of games that will specifically support the new hardware, i.e. camera, sd card, onboard memory, etc.
Those things don't necessitate changes to the processors, any more than things like WiiSpeak, Balance Board, or MotionPlus do on the console side. Or any more than GBA slot expansions like camera, rumble, motion sensors did for GBA/DS.

I pine for the days of old when the game companies actually focused on gaming apps.

Everyone's so fucking busy trying to make ipods and fucking digital cameras and fucking skype handhelds that they're forgetting the actual games.

So, tally up the damages and what are we left with?

A worthless music player. (It isn't even MP3 format.)
Slightly bigger screens (Anyone who doesn't play handhelds due to screen size isn't going to be swayed by a quarter-inch.)
A camera. (Well, two cameras.)
SD Card support (Useless on its own, possibly good in conjunction with)
DSWare (Complete unknown, must show its quality in the time to come.)

And we lose the GBA slot.

*sigh*

It's a fascinating device indeed. You guys remember some of the services Nintendo considered implementing for the DS in E3 2008? I think they will correspond with this new hardware, which Iwata has called a third platform -- I hope Nintendo will elaborate on that soon. The next issue of Nintendo Power should be very interesting. I think there is more that we have yet to learn about the DSi.

We're now in the third step of the Blue Ocean strategy: reaching out to distant users. Nintendo is not competing with the PSP, iPhone, or other cell phones, but it is trying to reach users who many not even know of the existence of handheld gaming devices. Someone suggested earlier that an App Store might be lucrative. I think it will be, too.

Anyway, just keep your DSL for GBA play. I know I will. But I'm definitely buying a DSi to experience the Wii/DS integration (finally, the Photo Channel will have some use!) and the more uniform online service.

Who's your Daddy?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I pine for the days of old when the game companies actually focused on gaming apps.

Everyone's so fucking busy trying to make ipods and fucking digital cameras and fucking skype handhelds that they're forgetting the actual games.

maybe the definition of "games" is changing....embrace your new integrated hardware overlords!

GAF - "aw fuck, what the hell Nintendo"

Game Designers - "GIMME!!!"

how many people complaining that you now cant use gba-slot expansions and craving more gba-slot expansions are the same people that complain about the wii having too many different control expansions?
As far as released additional controllers that actually do anything, Wii only currently has the Balance Board. The Wheel changes things about as much as getting a Nerf skin for DS.

Pureauthor said:

Slightly bigger screens (Anyone who doesn't play handhelds due to screen size isn't going to be swayed by a quarter-inch.)

*sigh*

You missed the price increase.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Pureauthor said:

*sigh*
+Matte Finish.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:

So you have no interest at all in the new games that can potentially be developed using these cameras? Come on, man.

TheGrayGhost said:
It's a fascinating device indeed. You guys remember some of the services Nintendo considered implementing for the DS in E3 2008? I think they will correspond with this new hardware, which Iwata has called a third platform -- I hope Nintendo will elaborate on that soon. The next issue of Nintendo Power should be very interesting. I think there is more that we have yet to learn about the DSi.

We're now in the third step of the Blue Ocean strategy: reaching out to distant users. Nintendo is not competing with the PSP, iPhone, or other cell phones, but it is trying to reach users who many not even know of the existence of handheld gaming devices. Someone suggested earlier that an App Store might be lucrative. I think it will be, too.

Anyway, just keep your DSL for GBA play. I know I will. But I'm definitely buying a DSi to experience the Wii/DS integration (finally, the Photo Channel will have some use!) and the more uniform online service.

Who's your Daddy?

Seriously... are you a fanboy of Malstrom? The fact that you keep quoting his words and articles make me wonder.

Rufus said:
Inside 0.3, outside 3, correct.

Both are 0.3, unless you can prove otherwise with trustable sources.

TheGrayGhost said:

Who's your Daddy?
You are related to malstrom, right? because otherwise your constant pimping of him would be just weird.

Tobor

Pureauthor said:
*looks at Eyetoy*

Ayeepppp, just about none.

hehe, fair enough. This just seems like a lot of hand wringing and bed wetting for nothing.

We still get a DS download service, which everyone said they wanted.

Tobor said:
hehe, fair enough. This just seems like a lot of hand wringing and bed wetting for nothing.

We still get a DS download service, which everyone said they wanted.

Oh, I'm just not happy about this because I can only see two viable outcomes of this:

A) I'll be forced to buy new hardware to keep up with the games. I hate buying new hardware.

B) This system will fail to take off and this will all have been a waste of time and money.

Neither is particularly appealing to me.

Tobor said:
So you have no interest at all in the new games that can potentially be developed using these cameras? Come on, man.
I can't wait. I'll stack all the great games in a pile next to all the great games that materialized from adding a mic.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I can't wait. I'll stack all the great games in a pile next to all the great games that materialized from adding a mic.

TWEWY, and... well, I guess you might like Nintendogs and Brain Training and... uh...

AnimeTheme said:
Seriously... are you a fanboy of Malstrom? The fact that you keep quoting his words and articles make me wonder.

Fanboy of Christensen, actually.

You are related to malstrom, right? because otherwise your constant pimping of him would be just weird.

Read above.

TWEWY, and... well, I guess you might like Nintendogs and Brain Training and... uh...

It wasn't used very often in Phantom Hourglass, but you can use the mic to harm Pols-Voice (which are vulnerable to loud noises, in the original LoZ, the sound of the flute killed em).

Barrett2

If this thing has a download service that does not allow you to download games off VC, that is a crime against humanity.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah, yeah. You guys can all shit all over this now, then some awesome game that uses it will appear, and you'll all be in line. Same old drill.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Blow at the camera to open the door.
No... wave at the camera to open the door!

eznark

Banned
The announcement has hurt Best Buy:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D93IEBIG0.htm

Shares of Best Buy Co. dipped Thursday after an analyst said the electronics retailer risks losing some of its video-game business if consumers embrace Nintendo's newest portable gaming device, and opt to download many of their games instead of purchasing them from stores.

Goldman Sachs analyst Matthew J. Fassler told investors in a research note that Nintendo's newest gaming platform is a "tangible early threat" to physical portable game systems, which rely on cartridge-type slots to load games.

Gamers using Nintendo's latest handheld -- the DSi, which was unveiled Wednesday in Japan -- will be able to purchase games at an online store and download them in about 10 minutes using a broadband connection.

"While content will be limited at first, we believe it will likely ramp very quickly," Fassler wrote of the availability of games at the Nintendo store.

That could spell trouble for Best Buy and other retailers, like Circuit City Stores Inc. and GameStop Corp., which sell video games in their own stores.

Tobor said:
Yeah, yeah. You guys can all shit all over this now, then some awesome game that uses it will appear, and you'll all be in line. Same old drill.
No, I really won't, Tobor. It's a cheap digital camera. If you're expecting anything more fancy than what Eyetoy did, you're going to be in for a surprise. And waving my hands around while I'm trying to play a portable is an idea that somehow manages to top yelling into the mic as a stupid feature.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Pureauthor said:

*sigh*
Better sound, higher price

x3sphere

Princess Skittles said:
So I assume they'll announce a US date at today's conference?

Is it too much to hope that they drop these before the Christmas rush?

I heard next year for other counties outside of Japan yesterday. That's why I was thinking of importing. Would be great if they get it here before Christmas, though.

EDIT: Yeah, next year.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g3MSGVLGHmNs_sVu9OoWwzVB0ecwD93ICLLO0

The Nintendo DSi will go on sale in Japan on Nov. 1 for 18,900 yen (US$180), and will be available overseas next year.

At least when you come to buying a ds you get a choice, lite or DSi, if you want a basic game player with gba support and small size the lite is for you.

666 said:
I gotta say i'm pretty amazed this thing doesn't have accelerometers.
Reserved for the iDS.

Pureauthor said:
*looks at Eyetoy*

Ayeepppp, just about none.

peripheral with low attach means most 3rd parties will shy away from it because they are not guaranteed a return on their investment. this camera is ON the actual handheld....i'm expecting some really cool gameplay to come from this.

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, I really won't, Tobor. It's a cheap digital camera. If you're expecting anything more fancy than what Eyetoy did, you're going to be in for a surprise. And waving my hands around while I'm trying to play a portable is an idea that somehow manages to top yelling into the mic as a stupid feature.

you lack imagination

monchi-kun said:
peripheral with low attach means most 3rd parties will shy away from it because they are not guaranteed a return on their investment. this camera is ON the actual handheld....i'm expecting some really cool gameplay to come from this.

*flipside*

Oh, what's that? A 80 million install base without the camera?

The company with the biggest chance of devving Camera-specific games is Nintendo, the 1st party. Guess which dev also sunk the most effort into the Eyetoy?

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:

Let me rephrase then, between the camera and the download service, there will be software that will be compelling enough to sell these to a wide audience.

I'm playing devil's advocate on the camera, it could end up as you say, but there are interesting possibilities that I would like to see explored.

I'm buying it day 1 for the download store. I expect to see some really cool stuff there by the time this releases in the US.

monchi-kun said:

you lack imagination
No, I lack 'giving a shit'. I trusted Nintendo with the Wii and that's all gone so very terribly well, hasn't it? I'll believe again if or when they prove it.

Top Bottom