• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

Nice. Nintendo has brought that "apple way of life" to consoles. Time to move on to microsoft as second provider.

ANOTHER DS model with exclusive content? The fourth pillar? C'mon, I'm not paying a single euro to these guys. I'm sick of this shit. I'm sick of nintendo making money. I loved when they had ONE FUCKING CONSOLE and made genius games for it. Now they not only change the hardware yearly, but also only make SHIT.

I'm sick of wiimotes, balance boards, motion plus, DSi, DSp, DSj... FUCK give me the gameboy and the gamecube with great games and stop fucking gamers.

Polari

WPA support and a browser that isn't shit slow will sell me. Don't care that the GBA port is gone, don't wanna miss out on the DSiWare games, like the idea of a built-in camera, love the smaller size and matte finish yet still bigger screens. Media playing functionality is an added bonus.

kittel

Polari said:
WPA support and a browser that isn't shit slow will sell me. Don't care that the GBA port is gone, don't wanna miss out on the DSiWare games, like the idea of a built-in camera, love the smaller size and matte finish yet still bigger screens. Media playing functionality is an added bonus.

yeah I know AAC playback is a great bonus

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
You know, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to buy this, since I don't need the camera or the MP3 player and I think the removal of the GBA slot is a really bad move...

...But if DS Ware is good, then I'll have no choice but to bite. :(

Still, I'll keep my DS Lite around, if only for the GBA slot.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Is there some sort of blur filter on the DSi or is it just me?

Anyway, DS Ware has me interested but if I can't transfer my VC games from my Wii to my DSi, then it's a no sale Nintendo!

Unless Nintendo pulls another surprise tomorrow and talks upgraded internals, it's looking like the same thing as the DS, which means no Virtual Console, at least for the systems you currently see on the Wii. The DS just doesn't have the processing power to do SNES emulation let alone N64, Genesis, Neo Geo, etc.

Could they do GB/GBC/GBA store items? Sure. But not much more than that.

For aesthetics, moving away from the gloss seems bizarre. So does going to 3 lights on the power display. Weird. Still a good looking system though, even if removing the GBA slot did basically nothing for them in terms of form factor. (I am guessing it made the console cheaper again though. I wonder how much money they will make per system sold, out of the gate?)

Vaandaviii said:
Nice. Nintendo has brought that "apple way of life" to consoles. Time to move on to microsoft as second provider.

ANOTHER DS model with exclusive content? The fourth pillar? C'mon, I'm not paying a single euro to these guys.

When you bought your DS Lite, you bought it knowing what it had and what it didn't. Nintendo have always been criticised for not updating their shit enough just to maintain a level feature set across the platform. You can't have it both ways.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I think people are overlooking the gaming possibilities of having a camera built in. Take a look at this unreleased game Catapult for the (failed) Gizmondo handheld:

Catapult: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU

Nintendo could do something like EyePet except with Pokemon or Nintendogs.

EyePet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPENA1Bpm68

Not to mention a Pokemon card battling game similar to Eye of Judgement:

930092_20070430_screen005.jpg

camineet

Banned
I have not read anything about this DSi, not any news, not this thread. but if it's got two touch screens, doesnt that make it DS 1.5 ? I mean, assuming games get made that take advantage of both touch screens, then users of original DS and DS Lite won't be able to play those games, or at least not use those games to their full potential.

Or unless this is considered to be a similar move to Game Boy Color ?

Now comes the part where i stop posting and start reading.....hmmm

MisterHero

GH On Tour had a pretty decent hardware bundle so they can use some DSlites for those kinds of things.

To be honest I wished Nintendo themselves would've used the GBA slot more. Oh well.

nli10

HK-47 said:
Me, you, donny and charlequin were the big arguers. We were wrong and Nintendo gets to make millions off G/S Remake. Guess they feel they can afford to fuck over Activision and anyone else thinking of using the GBA slot.

Dear Activision,

We have added DLC and a shop to our DS system so that Guitar Hero on tour is now infinitely expandable as you requested. We did have to take out one old feature to do this but we are sure you won't miss it.

Love N x x x

Joking aside anyone playing GH keeps the Lite, the other 95% of us are free to choose. It's not like Pokemon guys - the old DSs don't just Evolve overnight rendering these games useless.

I do think it's Ironic that the one Piracy proof franchise is the one to be most hurt though.

New 4 button Keyboard for the SD slot with GH4 or a Wireless one do you think?

Crazymoogle said:
Unless Nintendo pulls another surprise tomorrow and talks upgraded internals, it's looking like the same thing as the DS, which means no Virtual Console, at least for the systems you currently see on the Wii. The DS just doesn't have the processing power to do SNES emulation let alone N64, Genesis, Neo Geo, etc.

Could they do GB/GBC/GBA store items? Sure. But not much more than that.

For aesthetics, moving away from the gloss seems bizarre. So does going to 3 lights on the power display. Weird. Still a good looking system though, even if removing the GBA slot did basically nothing for them in terms of form factor. (I am guessing it made the console cheaper again though. I wonder how much money they will make per system sold, out of the gate?)

The DS already has a 100% speed and sound NeoGeo homebrew emulator. Nintendo could probably get SNES emulation up and running perfectly on it (Especially if the screens have been increased in resolution to match the SNES, would explain the very slight increase in screen size!)

N64 is out of the question of course, but the DS doesn't even have the controls to accomodate it anyway.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
cw_sasuke said:
Tony Hawk + Motion Sensing Add-On is also fucked :lol

You guys are acting as if the 80 million DS's and DS Lites already sold will suddenly have inoperable GBA slots just because Nintendo releases the DSi. What's more, it's not as if this is the first console transition that has not supported full backwards compatibility (and yes, I know that the DSi is not the DS2.) Did Microsoft and Sony say "fuck you" to the bulk of the third parties that released games on the Xbox and PS2 when they gimped the backwards compatibility of the 360 and PS3? Or is it only when Nintendo does this to a small handful of games that such is the interpretation?

Neo Child

Banned
So like, Pokemon D/P/Plat games ey... erm, right.

Now we can't get half the Pokemon, yay.

Metaphoreus said:
You guys are acting as if the 80 million DS's and DS Lites already sold will suddenly have inoperable GBA slots just because Nintendo releases the DSi. What's more, it's not as if this is the first console transition that has not supported full backwards compatibility (and yes, I know that the DSi is not the DS2.) Did Microsoft and Sony say "fuck you" to the bulk of the third parties that released games on the Xbox and PS2 when they gimped the backwards compatibility of the 360 and PS3? Or is it only when Nintendo does this to a small handful of games that such is the interpretation?

It's different though, a lot of DS games require usage of the GBA slot, it's not like the new PS3 games needed the old PS2 games to work.

ElFly

Polari said:
Better than a kick in the teeth! (just)

I bet an MP3 codec will be up for purchase on the DSiWare store.

*shrug* Just batch convert everything the day before you get the new DS. Crisis averted!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Metaphoreus said:

I don`t act like that - i just stated that the motion sensing addon is also fucked on the dsi miami...

Feral Youth said:
Cool, a new handheld device that plays mp3s and takes pictures.

it can`t play mp3...

Captain Chaos said:

Double that.

DS Lite does look nicer (albeit, slightly smaller screens, but even still the DS Lite screen size is nothing to just sneeze at anyways and they already are quite good).

farnham

Banned
I think that the Activision games with GBA addon peripheral do still have a market

DSL userbase is already big enough

also i dont think the DSlite is just going to be replaced..

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Metaphoreus said:

Totally the same. If you know the DSi isnt the DS2 then you should know why that comparison doesnt work

Vic said:
-Why SD instead of micro-sd?
They're not that hurt for room (unless you're as massive as a gigantic GBA cart, apparently), and this allows for easier sharing of data with Wii.
HK-47 said:
Me, you, donny and charlequin were the big arguers. We were wrong and Nintendo gets to make millions off G/S Remake.
Does that really make a difference to the G/S remake? Those games already weren't compatible with the slot.
Metaphoreus said:
You guys are acting as if the 80 million DS's and DS Lites already sold will suddenly have inoperable GBA slots just because Nintendo releases the DSi.
It hamstrings those games by limiting them to hardware whose userbase will no longer be growing. I doubt many companies will want to consider such projects in the future when no longer will it only be a problem that the game will be more expensive, but when the percentage of DS owners even able to use it will be a shrinking percent of the whole.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Universal Friends list please nintendo. I don't care if it uses friend codes as long as I don't FARKING HAVE TO ENtER IT EVERY TIME I BUY A GAME.

Now is your chance. DO IT.

scola said:
Universal Friends list please nintendo. I don't care if it uses friend codes as long as I don't FARKING HAVE TO ENtER IT EVERY TIME I BUY A GAME.

Now is your chance. DO IT.

I wouldn't expect that until their next platform, if at all (though I hope so just as much as you do).

Also, so is it basically confirmed that the DS ware ability won't get back ported to the DS Lite?

If so, :D great step Nintendo

If not, :lol sorry Nintendo, no way in hell.

ElFly

JoshuaJSlone said:
They're not that hurt for room (unless you're as massive as a gigantic GBA cart, apparently), and this allows for easier sharing of data with Wii.

Does that really make a difference to the G/S remake? Those games already weren't compatible with the slot.

It hamstrings those games by limiting them to hardware whose userbase will no longer be growing. I doubt many companies will want to consider such projects in the future when no longer will it only be a problem that the game will be more expensive, but when the percentage of DS owners even able to use it will be a shrinking percent of the whole.

While it partitions the market, I bet the amount of people who will upgrade is significant. The rate of handheld replacement must be pretty high.

Zoc

Here's hoping to God that the improved sound can be taken advantage by games. Playing any kind of music games on the DS has been painful because of its crappy 12-bit sound. 16-bit hardware-backed AAC would kick ass.

Also, it isn't the kind of thing they'd probably mention in a public event like this, but I hope DSi games come on 256MB and 512MB cartridges, to hold all that improved sound.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
it's disappointing

no gba slot
camera destroying the look
nothing to get excited about, except for DSWare, we'll see how that turns out

definite no buy for me so far

hmm.. its not a first day purchase for me, it certainly looks good and there are a ton of neat little features but im perfectly happy with my current DS Lite.

That said, i will purchase one in the future, maybe when i go to Japan next year, but for the time being, I cant see myself rushing out to buy one.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
HK-47 said:
Totally the same. If you know the DSi isnt the DS2 then you should know why that comparison doesnt work

It doesn't work perfectly, no, but I don't think the transition from DS to DSi is analogous to any past transition perfectly. It's clearly not a new console, and to say it is "backwards compatible" with DS games is to misrepresent the situation, since it really is just a DS, but it is clearly a transition that can split the userbase. If a game requires the camera, then DS and DS Lites can't play it--Chris Kohler is already reporting that some games will be exclusive to the DSi. I don't think it can be perfectly compared to a traditional console transition--a la Xbox to 360 or Gamecube to Wii--or to a more ambiguous transition--Gameboy to Gameboy Color, for instance--or to remodels like DS to DS Lite or GBA to GBA SP. The fact that it limits its backwards compatibility, on the other hand, can be compared to such instances. This really isn't worth arguing over further, though, so I will reiterate that I agree with you.

JoshuaJSlone said:

It is true that the incentive to create GBA-slot-peripheral-based games will be greatly limited now, but I don't think it will have too much of an impact on Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero. I imagine that those games will have sold the bulk of what they would potentially sell before the DSi is even released--at least in the West; I don't know how well they could be expected to do in Japan, where DSi releases in a month. It certainly is unfortunate that the innovation allowed by such games will not likely be pursued in the future, but I don't think sales of the games already announced and/or released will be influenced by this.

Vaandaviii said:

ANOTHER DS model with exclusive content? The fourth pillar? C'mon, I'm not paying a single euro to these guys. I'm sick of this shit. I'm sick of nintendo making money. I loved when they had ONE FUCKING CONSOLE and made genius games for it. Now they not only change the hardware yearly, but also only make SHIT.

I'm sick of wiimotes, balance boards, motion plus, DSi, DSp, DSj... FUCK give me the gameboy and the gamecube with great games and stop fucking gamers.

What DS model did they release last year? Companies have every right to release upgrades to their products, you don't have to buy it. Stop being a baby.

AniHawk

Vaandaviii said:

Remember that one part where Sony released an upgrade to the PSP and then did it again?

If they think they can make more money by doing it, they will do it.

Top Bottom