• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

AniHawk

lowrider007 said:
They need to emboss the lid with some kind of design or logo, it's just too plain/flat, the black one when closed looks like a personal organiser/PDA rather than a hand-held games machine.

Yeah, that's definitely gonna be a dealbreaker for most people.

Pimpbaa said:
That's why I think it's fake. Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to piss off DS consumers twice over (new games that use 2 touch screens thus requiring this new DS, plus making games that use addons in the gba slot useless).

not fake..

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AniHawk said:
Yeah, that's definitely gonna be a dealbreaker for most people.

You'll be surprised, The way things look play a large part in whether you choose to purchase a certain product, whether it be a lamp shade, car, computer, etc, style is important to a lot of people.

I wonder if the DSi camera is capable of taking animations instead of just still shots. Not expecting to use it for videos, but maybe it can be used on some kind of video messenger or gaming ideas.

So we are like, just gonna say, "Nahh, Nintendo shouldn't have the DS play N64 games, it won't work".

What the fuck people?

Absolutely defeatist attitude.

Lince

Banned
what if I insert my Wii SD card with the Virtual Console games, will I be able to play them or should re-buy again for the DSi?

Somnid

mrklaw said:
the VC store makes it difficult to import. I'm assuming they'll lock access based on the machine, much like the wii. So if you import a Japanese one you'll only get the Japanese VC store. Unless they really take account of the 'portability' part and make it region free like the rest of the DS.

Yeah it's for this reason I can't go get a Japanese one even though I'm living here. I'd so like to but if downloadable stuff is locked I'd rather have the english version.

AniHawk said:
Remember that one part where Sony released an upgrade to the PSP and then did it again?

If they think they can make more money by doing it, they will do it.

Remember that one part where you are able to play all the PSP games in all PSP models?

Vaandaviii said:
Remember that one part where you are able to play all the PSP games in all PSP models?
There is not many games that require the gba slot though, and if you do own one or two of them you already own a ds or lite i'd imagne.

AtreyU

Neo Member
Vaandaviii said:

wait i thought the DSi still only has one touch screen and that gaf can't translate japanese properly?

herod

AtreyU said:
wait i thought the DSi still only has one touch screen and that gaf can't translate japanese properly?

Camera games, DSWare games. Guitar Hero On Tour, the arkanoid thumbstick thing, rumble pak.

Gagaman

Gutted about the removal of the GBA slot. Didn't some DS games come with attachments that went in there, like Arkanoid and Guitar Hero? I could be wrong, though.

Still, I might hold out on getting a Lite now and just get a Micro for my GBA games...but then I'll lose compatibility with GB and GBC games...but I hate the GBA SP design...dam you Nintendo! That, or I'll just get a DS lite when they start going cheaper.

I'm disappointed. The DS Lite looks better in every way. No camera eyesore, still glossy, nicer form factor.

I had hoped they went with a bit more drastic changes, both in design (metal case) and content (wtf, 0,3 megapixel camera :lol).

Sticking to my regular lite.

dabookerman said:
So we are like, just gonna say, "Nahh, Nintendo shouldn't have the DS play N64 games, it won't work".

What the fuck people?

Absolutely defeatist attitude.

Yay, Nintendo should have the DS play N64 games!

feel better?

Vaandaviii said:

The GBA wasn't compatible with GB link cable games or GBC IR port, but the world kept turning.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
AtreyU said:
doesnt it have 2 camera's? one 300,000 pixels and the one 3.0 megapixel?
It has two cameras, one 300000 pixels and the other 300000 pixels as well.
lowrider007 said:
They need to emboss the lid with some kind of design or logo, it's just too plain/flat, the black one when closed looks like a personal organiser/PDA rather than a hand-held games machine, it looks too formal if you get what I mean.
Nuh-uh, the black one looks awesome like that.
AnimeTheme said:
I wonder if the DSi camera is capable of taking animations instead of just still shots. Not expecting to use it for videos, but maybe it can be used on some kind of video messenger or gaming ideas.
I'd expect it can take videos, or it would be useless for in-game uses.

Plus this would more than make up for the low res.

PolyGone

Banned
Souldriver said:
I'm disappointed. The DS Lite looks better in every way. No camera eyesore, still glossy, nicer form factor.

I had hoped they went with a bit more drastic changes, both in design (metal case) and content (wtf, 0,3 megapixel camera :lol).

Sticking to my regular lite.

I'm not disappointed by it, I'm happy I can stick with my DS Lite. It's too soon for a true DS2.

McHuj

Well, I don't think they officially announced a US price, but DSi seems expensive if it's going to be priced around $180.

Delio

Well i want this. I havent made the jump to the DSlite yet and i like how this one looks (Not glossy so i dont smudge it up). Will upgrade to this the lack of a gba slot doesnt really bother me and i like the camera.

as someone who had all of the DS versions. This is the first one i will skip. It just doesn't add that much, but i like the bigger screens to, excited to see how developers will use it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wrestlemania said:
There are DS games you can't play on the DSi?

Band Brothers 1 expansion
Guitar Hero: On Tour
Guitar Hero: On Tour Decades
Facening
Tony Hawk's Awful Adventure + Paint a blob tilt game
Slide Adventure Mag Kid

Somnid

The only thing that anyone's really missing by the lack of the GBA slot is Guitar Hero on Tour.

If there's DSWare then I'm sure some sort of Virtual Console service won't be too far behind. If that's the case then GBA games may just become available that way.

Xater

Stumpokapow said:
Facening
Slide Adventure Mag Kid

Now I can't wait what Activision will do on the DS next year. :lol

jett said:
A 0.3 megapixel camera... :lol Well that's something I guess.

The 0.3 camera (on the inside) will most likely just be for taking pictures of your face, which won't be that far away from the lens.

So it's really not that bad.

SuperAngelo64 said:
The 0.3 camera (on the inside) will most likely just be for taking pictures of your face, which won't be that far away from the lens.

So it's really not that bad.

It's the same resolution as EyeToy, in fact.

Majmun

Glad I never got a Dslite. Still have the old fat DS.

I'm getting the Dsi as soon as it gets released in Europe.

Second said:

if the channels work importing would be much cheaper. I'll wait for december if this all works well and then I'll import, I think :)

Second said:

Same, I've got my DS Phat right here with Pokemon Peal and Final Fantasy I&II loaded up.

I usually don't go for 'newer' or 'slimmer' consoles until my original is good and dead.

I have a feeling I am going to finally break that habit with the DSi. It's just sounding too fucking awesome.

Neo Child

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Facening
Slide Adventure Mag Kid

Also, Pokemon D/P/Plat are quite... dumbed down now. You cant get half the Pokes on.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Damn I hope they don't region lock the whole thing like the Wii, I want to import one.

VOOK said:
Damn I hope they don't region lock the whole thing like the Wii, I want to import one.
The next question is if they have all those languages in the firmware like with the original ds. I don't want to have a moonspeak interface.

Top Bottom