• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch presentation date finalized, Jan 12, 8pm PT/Jan 13, 5am CET

Early morning EST was great for me, but I can do 11 PM as well, that's not terrible. Doesn't seem like a great time for anyone though.

About how good are our chances that the new Mario game is announced here? Pretty good right?

For fuck's sake Nintendo, you're actually going to do this presentation at 11 at night? When most people have to work in the morning? Most likely entirely in Japanese?

This is why people think you're out of touch with the Western gamer. When Sony has a press event, they do it at a reasonable time, IN ENGLISH, IN AMERICA, like at PSX. They UNDERSTAND that the Western market is the biggest for gaming. It's been 20 years and you still haven't gotten the memo.

And if they had it during the day when people are typically working, then people would complain that Nintendo didn't take that into consideration. There's probably a better chance of the Western gamer being in position to watch this at 11pm eastern, or 10pm central etc, then they would be having to stream the conference on the employer's time. No matter what time they chose, someone is going to complain about it.

11pm at night, my wife and son are asleep. and I'm off work. That's pretty close to ideal circumstances to watch this, of course YMMV...

10pm CST? Aces. Sorry to those who don't have the same time zone, but I'm sure it'll all be there to watch whenever you'd like thereafter.

I really hope this thing is stellar. I'm considering whether I should just avoid GAF during it though. I have a feeling the battle between those who love Nintendo no matter what, and those who have been crying the death of Nintendo for the last decade are going to be unbearable.

MADGAME

Being part of the conversation is huge while the event is going on. How busy are APPLE reveals when they do break downs of live shows on social media/news outlets as it's happening in real-time with the chats going nuts.

That's why every year the audience that watch E3, PSX, Apple reveals Microsoft reveals grow and have millions just watching, chatting, talking in threads. That bleeds over for next couple days while publications get articles up with write ups about the event or hand on impressions.

So now the problem is missing the conversation about the reveal while the reveal is happening? The conversation will not only still be going on several hours later when others see it for the first time, it will be transpiring all the way up until launch. I mean come on, either stay up and watch it or catch up when you wake up. It's not like the info will be gone and and you won't know what happened, it will be saturated in every gamers' news resources.

I am really blind to the simple choice of either stay up/wake up to watch it or watch it when you normally get up? The comments like "so basically it's confirmed Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Europe" and the like are fucking embarrassing for GAF.

If theses are your biggest worries boy are you in for it later in life.

Scrawnton

Here's the real question regarding this presentation. How much of it will leak over the holiday break?

You'd have to imagine details and launch line ups will be finalized before Christmas. How many of those devs will open their mouth and talk during their time off?

Sheroking

The absence of information, or at least the large amount of time we were given to speculate and wonder, definitely helped Nintendo generate buzz.

Whether or not they generated more or less by releasing a bare-bones trailer or by holding a big conference, I can't say. I think, overall, what they did worked and they have some momentum.

HylianTom

Banned
Alright. I had taken Thursday and Friday off before this time announcement, but to save vacation time for March I've changed my request to have only Thursday the 12th off. (Work gives me 38 days of paid vacation per year, but I still tend to hoard PTO..)

I have a lawnchair for use at Mardi Gras parades every year. Might have to dig it out early if there's a preorder lineup for the overnight of the 12th..

So. Damn. Hyped.

Scrawnton

The absence of information, or at least the large amount of time we were given to speculate and wonder, definitely helped Nintendo generate buzz.

Whether or not they generated more or less by releasing a bare-bones trailer or by holding a big conference, I can't say. I think, overall, what they did worked and they have some momentum.

The Switch tease on Jimmy Fallon really helped keep the interest levels high. That and the new rumors that battery life won't be terrible.

Here's the real question regarding this presentation. How much of it will leak over the holiday break?

You'd have to imagine details and launch line ups will be finalized before Christmas. How many of those devs will open their mouth and talk during their time off?
Emily and Laura said they're don't leaking things. And they've been the biggest leakers. Maybe Eurogamer light leak something or someone else might come out of nowhere.

aBarreras

Alright. I had taken Thursday and Friday off before this time announcement, but to save vacation time for March I've changed my request to have only Thursday the 12th off. (Work gives me 38 days of paid vacation per year, but I still tend to hoard PTO..)

I have a lawnchair for use at Mardi Gras parades every year. Might have to dig it out early if there's a preorder lineup for the overnight of the 12th..

So. Damn. Hyped.

38 days ._. mawhgad

PSFan

10pm CST? Aces. Sorry to those who don't have the same time zone, but I'm sure it'll all be there to watch whenever you'd like thereafter.

I think it's not so much about actually watching it. I think people are more worried about missing out on preorders, if they go up right after the event. If they do, they will most likely be gone for those that decide to watch it the next morning.

Scrawnton

Emily and Laura said they're don't leaking things. And they've been the biggest leakers. Maybe Eurogamer light leak something or someone else might come out of nowhere.
I don't really believe that. Emily always says she's done and will pop her head out randomly to drop more info. I'd imagine the only reason they'd stop is because they pretty much know everything already and they don't want to spoil the show.

I think it's not so much about actually watching it. I think people are more worried about missing out on preorders, if they go up right after the event. If they do, they will most likely be gone for those that decide to watch it the next morning.

If that's the concern, I can see that. I have doubts they'd go live internationally with preorders given the odd times right after, but perhaps. It would be earlier on retailer websites, I guess! I would bet it more likely that it'll go live the following Sunday or something.

But as o said, I can see the concern for this particular reason.

correojon

GAF will die at 5 AM CET

Sorry I don´t mean I´ll get up at 5AM to watch it, I´ll get at 6:30 as always, so by the time I get up GAF will be alive, the event will be available on YT so I can watch it at my own pace and there´ll be a pretty amount of stuff already going on in GAF. Edit: And it´ll save me the last few hours of wait before the event which would drive me crazy as I´ll be sleeping :)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
We pretty much have a very accurate approximate idea of the specs thanks to the Dev Kit Specs leaking so I won't talk about that however before the reveal here's what I'm hoping we would get on the Switch:

-I hope we get Wireless 802.11ac support and I hope that's not asking for too much since that Wireless Specification has been certified since December 2013 not to mention both the XB1S and the PS4P/PS4S support this already.

-If they don't mind being forward thinkers (since this system is supposed to be the start of 9th Generation hardware) and don't intend to scalp a few bucks out of their customers by making a proprietary charger and those customers have a need to replace said charger than a USB Type C charger would be nice.

-Finally an OLED panel would be OK but if they must use LCD panels instead than I would prefer an IPS.They need to stay away from the TN panels they used to produce half of their n3DS systems (the other half being IPS).

oti

Banned
As an European, I actually preffer this time for the reveal than during the day (when I´m at work and won´t be able to watch it) or late at night (when I won´t be able to stay up because I have to get up early in the morning to go to work). 5 AM allows me to get up and watch it while going to work, and also read all the crazy that will still be going on in GAF :p

GAF will die at 5 AM CET

PSFan

If that's the concern, I can see that. I have doubts they'd go live internationally with preorders given the odd times right after, but perhaps. It would be earlier on retailer websites, I guess! I would bet it more likely that it'll go live the following Sunday or something.

But as o said, I can see the concern for this particular reason.

Retailers can still go live with preorders even if Nintendo says otherwise. Once there's a set date and price, at least some retailers will start immediately. I bet Gamestop will.

Papacheeks

Banned
So now the problem is missing the conversation about the reveal while the reveal is happening? The conversation will not only still be going on several hours later when others see it for the first time, it will be transpiring all the way up until launch. I mean come on, either stay up and watch it or catch up when you wake up. It's not like the info will be gone and and you won't know what happened, it will be saturated in every gamers' news resources.

I am really blind to the simple choice of either stay up/wake up to watch it or watch it when you normally get up? The comments like "so basically it's confirmed Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Europe" and the like are fucking embarrassing for GAF.

If theses are your biggest worries boy are you in for it later in life.

Where did I say anything like that. All I'm saying is they have to nail everything about the console in one presentation before they sell this thing in March. And having it at odd times is weird. The reason that having this during work hours is the best option is by the time it's finished it's still relatively a good time in different time zones. Like if they did this at 11 am, 12pm or something it's 9 am in california. That gives plenty of time through out the day for buzz to circulate and info to be corrected like what happened in the May 2013 reveal for xbox.

As an European, I actually preffer this time for the reveal than during the day (when I´m at work and won´t be able to watch it) or late at night (when I won´t be able to stay up because I have to get up early in the morning to go to work). 5 AM allows me to get up and watch it while going to work, and also read all the crazy that will still be going on in GAF :p

I agree. Shame that it happens here at noon. The wait for lunchtime is going to be tough.

Steiner

Banned
Now available on iTunes, join Shigeru Miyamoto, the video game designer and creator famously known for Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, for an insightful chat on the making of Super Mario Run - the first-ever Super Mario game to arrive on mobile phones. Hosted at the Apple Store, SoHo by TV personality Katie Linendoll, listen as Miyamoto shares the importance of fun and the inspiration behind the gameplay in Super Mario Run.

The podcast is available for download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1184967541

Thanks,
Your Friends at Nintendo

Can anyone make a thread about this, or possibly share another link where we could find the podcast? I don't own or use any Apple products, so I don't have iTunes and would prefer not to download and install it... I'd love to listen.

corn_fest

This is the first gaming/hardware announcement I've actually been excited about in years. Hopefully preorder bundles will go up immediately after - I'm ready to drop stupid amounts of money on this thing.

(Work gives me 38 days of paid vacation per year, but I still tend to hoard PTO..)

So where do you work? :3c
EDIT: Well, I can't compete with that, lol

I hope there is an English dub lol. 🙏

Yeah. I'll watch without it, but Nintendo surely knows this is streaming outside Japan and can prepare something. Subs work, too.

But can you believe the audacity of Nintendo streaming their Japanese conference at a decent Japanese tine?!

PSFan

So where do you work? :3c
EDIT: Well, I can't compete with that, lol

Yeah. I'll watch without it, but Nintendo surely knows this is streaming outside Japan and can prepare something. Subs work, too.

But can you believe the audacity of Nintendo streaming their Japanese conference at a decent Japanese tine?!

Um, that teaser video they had a few weeks ago did have the January 12 date in it for more info. And that was a globally released video, so why would anyone think this wasn't supposed to be a global event?

MADGAME

Where did I say anything like that. All I'm saying is they have to nail everything about the console in one presentation before they sell this thing in March. And having it at odd times is weird. The reason that having this during work hours is the best option is by the time it's finished it's still relatively a good time in different time zones. Like if they did this at 11 am, 12pm or something it's 9 am in california. That gives plenty of time through out the day for buzz to circulate and info to be corrected like what happened in the May 2013 reveal for xbox.
No, you didn't say that specifically, that was a general reference to the comments about the presentation time littered in this thread .

I understand the excitement, we all want the switch to be capable and successful.

oti

Banned
Um, that teaser video they had a few weeks ago did have the January 12 date in it for more info. And that was a globally released video, so why would anyone think this wasn't supposed to be a global event?
I believe Nintendo is doing this event in Japan in order to breath new enthusiasm into the Japanese video game market. The 3DS did dominate the market for quite some time after all and consoles aren't doing so hot. There needs to be new momentum and in showing Japan that they'll get the conference and not the West could help achieving that. But of course this isn't really suited for the worldwide audience, that's why I'm sure we'll see long Tree House streams and worldwide press events following the reveal event.

Marow

I got exams shortly after, so... can't stay awake. :(
Kinda want to watch it without having seen the news first, so maybe do a spoiler free thread if that's allowed?

big_erk

For fuck's sake Nintendo, you're actually going to do this presentation at 11 at night? When most people have to work in the morning? Most likely entirely in Japanese?

This is why people think you're out of touch with the Western gamer. When Sony has a press event, they do it at a reasonable time, IN ENGLISH, IN AMERICA, like at PSX. They UNDERSTAND that the Western market is the biggest for gaming. It's been 20 years and you still haven't gotten the memo.
america-fuck-yeah-gif-Imgur-te-U1o9_zpszver5alc.gif

PSFan

I believe Nintendo is doing this event in Japan in order to breath new enthusiasm into the Japanese video game market. The 3DS did dominate the market for quite some time after all and consoles aren't doing so hot. There needs to be new momentum and in showing Japan that they'll get the conference and not the West could help achieving that. But of course this isn't really suited for the worldwide audience, that's why I'm sure we'll see long Tree House streams and worldwide press events following the reveal event.

Okay, so then why tell everyone on the planet that more info will be revealed on Jan 11 then if the event was only for Japan? That makes no sense at all.

Top Bottom