• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formless

People really making final judgments now when there's 2 days left of people demoing it in Tokyo and a Treehouse coming up?

Definitely more expensive than I'd like but depending on how the HD rumble feels and how good the battery will perform on less demanding games than Zelda I think it'll be ok. Games seemed more rough than I expected as well.

Still will get it considering I enjoyed Wii U.

KooopaKid

Banned
Everything about the presentation was just so 'Wii U'.

-The misjudged casual title (Nintendoland / 1, 2 Switch)
-The solitary late 3rd party port designed to make us think it'll have support when it clearly won't (ME3 / Skyrim)
-The bizarre unreadiness of many titles for launch
-The focus on what's 'innovative' rather than what the value proposition is
-The lack of many of the nitty gritty details people were looking for such as VC, voice chat etc
-Massively overpriced compared to its competitors
-Massively underpowered compared to its competitors (in fact, the visuals of each game were 'just so Wii U' - hard to notice a difference)

If the Wii U failed, I simply cannot see a reason why this would succeed by comparison, or fathom why Nintendo would try the exact same thing again.

Agreed. Although the underpowered part isn't that important if the price is right.
The major differences that will help Switch a tiny little bit more is:
- No confusion whether it's a Wii accessory or not.
- The name.
- The portability.
- Zelda.
- A stronger 1st year for 1st party software.

But it's not going to change much its fate at that price.

orioto

Good Art™

-The solitary late 3rd party port designed to make us think it'll have support when it clearly won't (ME3 / Skyrim)
-The lack of many of the nitty gritty details people were looking for such as VC, voice chat etc
-Massively underpowered compared to its competitors (in fact, the visuals of each game were 'just so Wii U' - hard to notice a difference)

If the Wii U failed, I simply cannot see a reason why this would succeed by comparison, or fathom why Nintendo would try the exact same thing again.

On point.
Actually WiiU, in its messy proposition, was centered around an idea. The Switch has just no identity as a product.

Its chance to be a sucess is the local multi, really. That's the only thing. Splatoon and MK with local multi can be huge in Japan at least. But.. Not at that price of course.

I feel like we may be witnessing the downfall of Nintendo here folks.

One could argue that we have been witnessing it (console wise) since the N64. Even the Wii, while a success, I feel like ended up doing damage reputation wise. I have owned every console Nintendo has released, and the N64 might be my favorite time in console gaming. That said I feel zero desire to get this, which is pretty much how I felt about the Wii U.

Now to be fair I did end up buying a refurbished Wii U, so good chance I will end up getting this one day. But as someone who camped out for a Wii and spent two weeks driving hundreds of miles to find a N64 after launch, that is quite the turn around.

Member when 3DS had no games and a poor launch?

Same applies here, but long run should be fine. Especially if the strong Japanese developer support continues.

Can I have what you are smoking? The long run for this I feel maybe drastic. I hope I am wrong.

Edit: Also the only hype I've heard from friends on social media is about the Zelda game, which they commented at least you can play it on the Wii U without buying a new console.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
On point.
Actually WiiU, in its messy proposition, was centered around an idea. The Switch has just no identity as a product.

Its chance to be a sucess is the local multi, really. That's the only thing. Splatoon and MK with local multi can be huge in Japan at least. But.. Not at that price of course.
It's a portable home console. Its identity is fine. That isn't an issue. It's a great concept and the hardware itself is very good. They've just overpriced it, it has a bad games lineup, they're charging for online and there's a lot of questions they didn't answer. And the general way they presented it this morning was very poor of course.

What were they like?
what handheld console has similar power to the switch?
On point.

what? the switch is centered around an idea: You can take the game you play on the screen right out of the dock and continue to play outside. cant get much simpler than that

It wasn't as bad as Wii U, I mean, that was a baffling shit show. The Wii U 'golf game' with the gamepad on the floor displaying a golf ball? This was a few notches above that, but it still wasn't a success.

I don't really like the idea of two players facing each other with the screen sitting on a table while they play quick draw or whatever. I could see it catching on a bit, though. It's possible.

Bringing up popular game creators onstage just to say they're making games is the worst sin a presentation like this could commit.

*snap*

I don't think that's true. I think it is a full sequel. Calling it Splatoon 2 and have it just be an enhanced port would be such false advertisement.

It has new clothes and weapons and some of the single-player stuff rammed into multiplayer. Be serious here; yes there is some decent reworking of the original game but it's not $60 new game content.

starmud

Honestly the presentation seemed to sell switch to Japan, the rest of you early adopters who stayed up to watch along will buy one at launch anyway for Zelda. I don't see Nintendo having a strong showcase for the system till e3. Now if e3 is still barren and we don't get some surprises, I'll gladly press the panic button on switch lol

Azriell

I'm stoked, haters be damned. $299 is more than I wanted, but it's the top of what I think is acceptable. Mario looks amazing, Zelda looks amazing, Project Octo whatever looks amazing. Xenoblade looks cool, but I can't get excited about a series I never finish games in.

I'm hopeful that the thing is comfortable in handheld mode. I love that you can sync 8 together for mp (I can definitely imagine having 3 in my house).

From my perspective, the only real bad news is how expensive controllers and the dock are. It's a missed opportunity to not have Joycons in a ton of colors for relatively cheap (like 30 for a pair). I also thought I might by a second dock, so I could dock it in my living room or bedroom, but I wouldn't pay more than $30 if all the dock can do is HDMI out and charge stuff.

I'll pick one up whenever I can find one in store.

orioto

Good Art™
what? the switch is centered around an idea: You can take the game you play on the screen right out of the dock and continue to play outside. cant get much simpler than that

Actually, no.
The other idea behind it is "it's everything Nintendo did in the last 20 years in one"
It's multiple things and none of them define the console as a focus.

And no, the idea of home + outside deosn't work that fluently, cause some games need motion control, and the tablet mode, which needs a table. So not every game on Switch works in portable mode. You can't play ARMS in the bus, for example.

That's an example of 2 concepts of the console contradicting each other.

There is not a simple idea no. It's a compilation of ideas.

The WiiU couldn't impose its concept cause there wasn't a clear, efficient line up justifying it, like Wii Sport did for the Wii.
The Switch is worse in its regard. None of its game use the different form factor as a strengh. Most of its game don't use the motion control already, so it's a gimmick that will be forgotten by devs quicker than it was before.
You don't have One hardware idea + One software to make it great. You have ideas, stitched together and a line up that could be on other console, except for ARMS and 12Switch who have 0 sale potential already.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a portable home console. Its identity is fine.

Besides the start of the conference where they stated the gaming modes, the whole rest was a typical home console presentation with big focus on motion controls and rumble.

In my opinion this was the antithesis of the reveal trailer in terms of message.

ekimneems

Neo Member
I really don't get all the complaining about the price. How much do you expect it to be really? There's no way they can hit a $199 price point with this hardware and have it be profitable.

I think the only single failure for me is yet again an inability to prove 3rd party support. We know Nintendo will make some amazing 1st party games but that's not going to cut it for everyone.

Definitely too few launch games confirmed and not enough 3rd party stuff.

I'm stoked, haters be damned. $299 is more than I wanted, but it's the top of what I think is acceptable. Mario looks amazing, Zelda looks amazing, Project Octo whatever looks amazing. Xenoblade looks cool, but I can't get excited about a series I never finish games in.

Oh, they showed plenty of things that looked interesting and hype worthy. Just all of them except Zelda have nebulous release dates, and the launch lineup itself doesn't exist.

Let's be frank: the 3DS had a better launch lineup; so did the Wii U.

This lineup, as it stands, set a new low. Hopefully, Nintendo is just letting 3rd parties announce their stuff separately.

PtM

Banned
Guess the writing was on the wall.
dsufc.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0fpa0ppPg

Davey Cakes

I'd rather save up for a dedicated gaming laptop at this point. That's kind of the direction I've been going in anyway. After falling in love with Steam over the past year it's been really easy to get my gaming goodness without Nintendo. Additionally, it's not like I don't still have my 3DS and Wii U and some games to finish for each, which could take me months with everything else I play.

I AM finally at that point where I can't justify full price for a console when I only find two or three of its games within a year to be must-buy. I'll just have to wait for more and better reasons to get a Switch down the line. It's not over for me and Nintendo but they need to deliver on the content that I want in order for me to jump in.

TLZ

Banned
They need more than that, they need an other form factor. I still think it's planned. The device is just SOOO no targeted at people who play only on 3ds. When you think about it, it's soo not for them.

Switch is designed for those who play at home in the couch, without a tv, maybe.
But the portable users, who play in the subway, in the bus.. The kids who plays in the playground ? This is not designed for them at all.

Wich makes the Switch even more dead. Cause it's only chance at selling more than 10 millions is to win a part of the 3ds crowd. But Nintendo doesn't want to.

So now portable guys don't want this and throwing it on home console guys. They don't want it as well.

No one wants this bastard child.

The irony.

Raet

I'm so disappointed.

From the 330 Euros, to neither Smash (?) nor Mario near launch, to paid online, to the lack of 3rd parties...

None of these things are major on their own, but it adds up to me not seeing any reason to get the Switch at launch. My preorder is canceled. Definitely wait and see at this point, not even sure I'll get it this year despite 3D Mario looking great.

Luschient

I know it's been beat to death but I still can't get over the 32 gigs thing.

You're pricing this thing up there with the ps4/x1 and you're only putting in 32 fucking gigs? And I don't give a shit how "cheap" sd cards are, if they're so cheap then Nintendo should've upped the storage in this thing from the start.

PSOreo

I honestly am stunned that GAF celebrated the PS4 coming in at the same price and also introducing paid for online, yet the Switch is met with shock and disgust?

For me, the lacklustre launch line up and the fact they are still being vague about the devices' power and how it actually works with the dock etc has been more off putting than the price. I'm really sold on the concept I just need to try it myself and hear what power the thing has.

oti

Banned
I once thought Nintendo had great art designers. And then...

DFgdvHN.gif

This is wrong and bad in pretty much every single way it can be wrong and bad.

Trust me, I don't like the city part either. But:

- not the Mushroom Kingdom anymore, that's new
- it's just one of many worlds, it's called Odyssey after all
- new mechanics

I'm repeating myself here but I really believe this is a setup for Mario's own TV show that could be announced this year. It's just perfect for that and Nintendo has been very confident in showing Mario with real humans, like in the Super Mario Run trailer.

Trust me, if this was Mario Galaxy 3 I'd be crying tears of joy. But I'm still curious about this.

I honestly am stunned that Gaf celebrated the PS4 coming in at the same price and also introducing paid for online, yet the Switch is met with shock and disgust?
Um, the software support being like night and day might have a little bit to do with it? The price doesn't bother me at all, it's the lackluster lineup.

MrGoomba

Does anyone know if there will be some kind of transfer from WiiU/3DS to Switch?

I want to know if I can sell my WiiU, I have lots of digital games. It would be good to transfer MK8 for a discount on Deluxe or my VC games.

llehuty

I honestly am stunned that Gaf celebrated the PS4 coming in at the same price and also introducing paid for online, yet the Switch is met with shock and disgust?

Stunned you are stunned about this. Nintendo can't really win.

*Step up your online*/*I don't want to pay for online*
*It needs to be cheaper*/*It's not powerful enough*
*They are doing the same again*/*Nobody asked for innovative gameplay*

etc etc, kind of predictable.

I honestly am stunned that GAF celebrated the PS4 coming in at the same price and also introducing paid for online, yet the Switch is met with shock and disgust?

For me, the lacklustre launch line up and the fact they are still being vague about the devices' power and how it actually works with the dock etc has been more off putting than the price. I'm really sold on the concept I just need to try it myself and hear what power the thing has.

Dat 8GB ram doe

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get all the complaining about the price. How much do you expect it to be really? There's no way they can hit a $199 price point with this hardware and have it be profitable.

I think most could live with the $300 price, though many were hoping $250 from rumors.

It's the pro controller being $70. A charging joy con grip being $30. One of the other is probably a most for most so you're not worrying over joy con batteries during long gaming sessions on the TV. I want a pro controller as I don't want to hassle with putting the joy cons on and off the grip/tablet to play/charge.

It's the Joy Con pairs being $80 and a must buy if you want to play stuff like Arms local MP.

It's it only having 32GB of internal storage, which means probably another 60ish for a 128GB micro sd card if you want to keep games like Splatoon, MK, Smash etc. that are pick up and play long term games installed so you're not juggling carts. Much less for the digital only crowd that will need even more sd card space over time.

It's online going paid, and apparently still lagging far behind the competition given you apparently need a smart phone and app to chat and send invites.

All that adds up quickly and doesn't seem like much value, especially compared to PS4 and X1 slim bundles for anyone that doesn't already have both and is considering a secondary platform.

I have a preorder in at Best Buy, but damn $300 for the console, $70 for a pro controller, the SD card and eventual online gaming fee is a steep price for platform I'll play 5 games or less a year on most years as my PC and PS4 see a lot more action than Nintendo platforms.

So I'm doing a lot of waffling this morning on whether to keep the preorder or not. Zelda looks great, but I can play that on Wii U assuming that version isn't gimped in any major way (bad frame rate etc.). Mario looks great, but that's not until fall. Splatoon 2 I'd get for sure, MK8 Deluxe as well as I didn't play that enough on Wii U. Going to be hard decision. Would be a no brainer at $250, $50 pro controller and free online.

Not necessarily the same people though. I hated, and still hate, that online is paid on PS4 and always waffle on whether to renew it or not as I don't do a ton of online gaming.

Stunned you are stunned about this. Nintendo can't really win.

*Step up your online*/*I don't want to pay for online*

Well they hardly stepped up their online with it requiring a smartphone and app for chat, game invites etc.

Narroo

What were they like?
Here's the issue with what you're saying: Most of what we saw were WiiU ports. Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Zelda are all WiiU ports. Intergenerational ports don't usually look all that different from each other. The only major game we say that was really a Switch game was Mario Odyssey. Of course, Mario's cartoonish art style has been plateauing since the Wii, so it's really hard to say much about it.

This actually was a disappointment that I had a hard time putting my finger on, but now here it is: They didn't really show what the console was capable of. It was mostly ports. For all we know, this could literally be a WiiU with a new chasis, and that's not very exciting. They really should have shown off at least one powerhouse title to give us an idea what else the Switch can do besides switch to a portable, multiplayer console.

As far as value goes: Well, that's more of a consumer expectation issue. Nowadays, most people rate the value of a console purely on it's CPU and GPU. Everything else is excepted to be a freebee. The added complexity of being a portable/home console hybrid combined with detachable motion controllers is of course going to drive up the price a lot: Just look at the cost of the Joy-Cons by themselves! Of course, if you don't care about those features, then it's wasted money. It you do though, it should be valuable. The Switch isn't necessarily a bad value, it just depends on what you want. It's like a $30,000 pickup truck versus a $20,000 sedan. The pickup truck is a terrible value if you don't actually plan on using the truck bed, but a great value if you actually need a pick-up truck.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Even that is hampered by controller prices. It's an easy "switch" if you pay $70 for the pro controller (or $80 for another pair of joycons) and leave your joycons on the tablet.

Otherwise it's a bit clunky to have to detach them from the grip and attach them to the tablet to "switch" and then do the reverse to go back to gaming on the screen. Especially if just wanting to keep playing while taking a crap and then go back to the screen.

Lifeline

- The PS4 was cheaper than its competitors. Switch is more expensive.
- The PS4 was more powerful than it's competitor, Switch is the weakest of the three.
- The PS4 had the 2 free PS4 games for online, Switch has 1 free NES/SNES game thats only playable for free for a month.
- The PS4 had a much stronger line up of games, including massive third party franchies.

Come on, don't pretend there wasn't any difference between the two.

Xater

- The PS4 was cheaper than its competitors. Switch is more expensive.
- The PS4 was more powerful than it's competitor, Switch is the weakest of the three.
- The PS4 had the 2 free PS4 games for online, Switch has 1 free NES/SNES game thats only playable for free for a month.
- The PS4 had a much stronger line up of games, including massive third party franchies.

Come on, don't pretend there wasn't any difference between the two.

Exactly. How can anyone be stunned by the reaction? Sony did everything right out if the gate. Nintendo is fumbling again. The price alone compared to it's competition is ridiculous. Especially when you know this will just be the Nintendo player. This presentation didn't give me much confidence in third party support.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As far as value goes: Well, that's more of a consumer expectation issue. Nowadays, most people rate the value of a console purely on it's CPU and GPU. Everything else is excepted to be a freebee. The added complexity of being a portable/home console hybrid combined with detachable motion controllers is of course going to drive up the price a lot: Just look at the cost of the Joy-Cons by themselves! Of course, if you don't care about those features, then it's wasted money. It you do though, it should be valuable. The Switch isn't necessarily a bad value, it just depends on what you want. It's like a $30,000 pickup truck versus a $20,000 sedan. The pickup truck is a terrible value if you don't actually plan on using the truck bed, but a great value if you actually need a pick-up truck.

That's the crux of the problem. It's not a good value to a lot of gamers who only game on their TVs and don't care for motion controls. i.e. the bulk of the western core gamer market.

It also may not be seen as a great value by the portable only crowd that just plays on transit etc. and won't be using the joy cons detached often and would have preferred a more traditional portable with integrated controls and a cheaper price.

I get they're in a tough spot and can't compete with Sony and MS directly for that market and have to do their own thing to be enticing as a secondary platform. I'm just not sure this is it. It seems like a jack of all trades, master of none device that has a jacked up price (especially if you want more controllers and storage) with a lot of compromises in terms of design and features that will be unused/underused by console only or portable only gamers.

orioto

Good Art™
Here's the issue with what you're saying: Most of what we saw were WiiU ports. Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Zelda are all WiiU ports. Intergenerational ports don't usually look all that different from each other. The only major game we say that was really a Switch game was Mario Odyssey. Of course, Mario's cartoonish art style has been plateauing since the Wii, so it's really hard to say much about it.

Mario galaxy was amazing graphically, Mario 3d world to. This mario is ugly as shit. But that's art directon.

Tech wise there is nothing on Switch that looks like it's more powerful than a WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom